Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

He planned a trip to Sweden without telling her, only confessed it when he got caught out in the lie two weeks before leaving, and then completely forgot her birthday like six months after her whole family died. Almost cartoonishly lovely.

Yup. I had sympathy for him at the beginning...he's not an rear end in a top hat for being incompatible with Dani, and the insane trauma she experiences traps both of them in this terrible relationship. But my sympathy erodes pretty fast when it becomes clear how little respect he has for her needs or her intelligence. He stays in this garbage relationship for months just to maintain appearances, and when she rightly calls out how not engaged or straightforward he is with her, he denies it and essentially gaslights her.

She's very clearly not a priority for him, made way worse by the fact he can't be honest about it. "I can't give you what you need, and I don't want to pretend anymore" is at least respectable even if it's painful.

Though, yeah, he doesn't "deserve" to be burned alive in a bear suit. I viewed Dani's choice at the end as a mirror for her sister's choice at the beginning. They're both acts of horrifying ritualized violence designed to purge pain and despair from their lives. They're both insane, cruel, selfish choices that are not "justified" or defensible in any way. But that's not the point...both characters would do whatever they needed to to alleviate their suffering, and they act accordingly.

Also, did I miss this from the last few pages, or is it news?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNz9nkQYag4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

beanieson posted:

His penis was subtly erect throughout the film.

It was actually a subtle CG effect. Ari Aster really needed the right *degree* of erection in every scene, and that actor struggled to hit the mark on set. Aster is basically the Fincher of penises.

I don’t think Pelle or the cult in general were playing 4D chess. I assumed Pelle saw what Dani was going through, recognized it, and thought she might connect with his community. I didn’t get a sense there was a grand plan for her to play the exact role she did in the end; it just happened that way.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Blast Fantasto posted:

Dani takes an Ativan in the beginning. That’s no indication she is also bipolar.

Yes. It's an anti-anxiety medication similar to Xanax. It speaks more to the complete lack of support Dani is getting in her personal relationships. She needs to medicate to function through her anxiety over her sister because she effectively has no support systems.

Which isn't just because Christian sucks, I don't think. I got the sense that, prior to the murder-suicide, Dani's parents also dropped the ball and underestimated how severe the situation was with their daughter. It seemed like Dani took it extremely seriously, and nobody else in her life did. "She just wants attention," "your sister does this," etc. Her family's death left her alone, but Dani's level of insecurity and lack of confidence in herself or her relationships didn't seem like a new phenomenon at all.

But this may be me editorializing. I don't recall where Dani was from, but it felt very much like a white New England family that prioritizes appearances and saving face over emotional honesty or clear communication. Mental illness is not something a family like that can cope with, or even something they want to admit exists. Basically, if Dani was from a loving and supportive home, I don't think she'd have been with Christian for that long in the first place, let alone would she have been so susceptible to the community ethos of the cult.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

DeimosRising posted:

Uh the idea that a person with support systems won’t need medication for anxiety, depression etc is extremely what the gently caress

Hey, in actual life I agree with you. But in cinema language shorthand, that's what they're trying to say.

Think of how many times movies have, like, a scene where a character finds their partner's Prozac in the medicine cabinet or whatever and it's a whole moment. Movies use physical objects to visually communicate subjective things about characters. A prescription medicine bottle is often one of them.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

QuoProQuid posted:

buncha luke p's if you ask me

Midsommar and The Bachelorette are more similar than they are different. Change my mind.

(The bear suit ritual is a metaphor for the symbolic self-immolation of the season's villain getting boo'ed on "The Men Tell All." Christian was there for the wrong reasons.)

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

veni veni veni posted:

It sounds like you are working under the assumption that everyone agrees with you about it being boring, which almost no one here does.

Yeah, I definitely see how some people might find the very stoic, distanced perspective of the film disengaging. But I was not bored.

As for the “grief is the only thing it does well” aspect, hard disagree. Its use of grief and emotional trauma in Dani’s arc is the whole point of the movie. It’s about something very relatable despite being ostensibly about this very alien culture.

Many of the best horror films are like that. The Babadook is about postpartum depression and mental health; it’s not supplemental to the film, it is the film. The Exorcist is nothing without Father Karras’ crisis of faith and redemption. Etc etc. You can’t cherrypick these elements at the expense of the whole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Tripping in a confusing and unsafe environment is a personal nightmare of mine that this film rendered perfectly. I definitely don’t want to actually be on mushrooms as I experience it, but I’m glad you had a good time.

In general, though, I don’t get the appeal of watching “trippy” movies on a hallucinogen. They’re already built to reproduce an altered state, so it kind of feels like a hat on a hat.