Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Started this maybe a week ago. On chapter 10 with the Red Eagles.

I haven't tried to recruit anyone from other houses, yet, (outside the other professors) because I've been so focused on ensuring my house's motivation remains peaked through lunches and gifts to maximize instruction sessions. So, I may be boning myself out of a lot of power?

Bernie was my early game all-star. Archers seem to be stupid good, and the sheer number of casters I have access to is kind of nuts for an FE game.

And I just realized that I missed level B with Rhea because I didn't bother checking my support link with her last month. >_> (I didn't bother to interact with her or Seth for a long while because it seemed pretty obvious that the Central Church are a bunch of psychopaths I'll eventually have to cleanse off this planet. :getin: ) Maybe that was a mistake?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Sudden Javelin posted:

How are your support levels with Edelgard and Hubert?

You'll want to be sure to save at the start of chapter 11, there's an easily missed choice you can make that will affect the latter half of the game (and your subsequent enjoyment probably, going by your last couple comments)

I'm at the "you must wait to further your relationship" point with basically everyone on my roster except Lindhardt.

I looked up the NG+ mechanics and am I correct in assuming that if you purchase the support rank for someone not in your house who you ranked up in a previous playthrough, you'll be able to recruit them almost immediately?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
So, I just got past the split in the Eagles route. :stare:

The hosed up part is I chose the path that apparently made me lose all the non-core units I was training except Shamir. :cry:

Edit: Oh wait. NM. I just lost Flayne. Still...she was my main ferry boat with access to 6 x Rescue. :/

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jun 10, 2020

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I've been using Manuela, and she's been great. Granted, I'm only on chap 14 of my first playthrough, but she does wonders being able to mix up good support/healing with offense with a Levin Sword.

That said, I had something odd happen during the Deidrue battle. Lysinthea gave me the option to have her join. But I didn't get C rank on anyone outside my core and the other professors pre-chapter 9. It was just weird. And since we're so far along, I can't even get her support up to preload her for my next playthrough.

Which follows into my next question; what stats are kept into NG+? Byleth's? Everyone else's? Is it just all reset, and I have to purchase everything with renown? Is it worth me training up Lysinthea's skills on the back half of this game so she can be mega deadly when I play with Claude next?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Eimi posted:

Lysithea is an honorary Black Eagle and you miss out if you don't recruit her early. :colbert:

In my defense, the game does kind of a lovely job giving you the requirements on recruiting people. :colbert:

It only tells you its possible, and hey! You can borrow one kid a month, but they won't learn any experience! So why would I want to take the limited experience from my actual units? There are so many to choose from, and it's grossly inefficient to just play around with your limited action points each month. Oh, and there are a few that you can't actually recruit or leave anyway depending on your route. But we won't tell you which ones!

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jun 11, 2020

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Blaze Dragon posted:

You aren't meant to deploy them. You're meant to put them as Byleth's adjutant so they can get support points for free. Gifts also don't take your activity points and greatly help.

I didn't realize adjutants gained social points until chapter 9. :v: And I didn't know your bond reduced the skill requirements to recruit someone. Would've prevented me from wasting time upping "useless" skills to please the couple I had my eye on. Makes sense in retrospect. It is doubly funny because I caught on to mass growing flowers and handing them out to everyone in my core class pretty quickly but didn't connect the dots between social rank -> recruitment.

Eimi posted:

Lysithea is an honorary Black Eagle and you miss out if you don't recruit her early. :colbert:

Regarding Lysithea, specifically, I knew something was up with her just from her character design. Silver hair is anime shorthand for unnatural/artificial/otherworldly. And she was giving me some serious vibes from the first time she popped up. So, I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess she was a victim of the same experimentation Edelgard was.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Blaze Dragon posted:

You are 100% correct.

I'm going to be referring to her as Tiny Murder Machine from now on.

eating only apples posted:

How do you feel about green hair in this game?

Green hair in FE games = dragons. So, I guessed off the bat that the church leadership were all dragons given Rhea/Seteth/Flayne's designs. Then, they drop the not-so-subtle hints of Seteth and Flayne likely being thousands of years old. So, shocker that Rhea turns into a big scary gently caress dragon if you side with Edelgard in the tomb.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jun 12, 2020

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

eating only apples posted:

When you do Golden Deer, recruit Linhardt, Caspar and Mercedes. In that route with those three you'l get a paralogue you only can get on GD, one you can't get on Edelgard's route, and one that just needs two characters who don't support each other or interact in any other way, and some of that is about the green hair thing

Also Linhardt and Caspar are so good as you probably know by now, and you can pick them up easily by buying their supports in NG+

Caspar is probably my favorite character out of the Eagles. He's the classic straightforward, rush-into-battle, shounen type, but he is specifically written as not being an idiot. He's just earnest as gently caress, and all of his support links are basically admissions of how jealous everyone is about how insightful and drama-free the guy is. :3:

The one issue I have with him is how one-dimensional his build is. He's a War-Master. That's basically the only reasonable way to build him unless you want to dump a bunch of resources into giving him flying to make him a Wyvern rider.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jun 12, 2020

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

galagazombie posted:

On a related note it's hilarious how different Hubert comes across depending on the route. I played CF first and had this whole image of him as this competent spy/assassin/diplomat. Then I play Azure Moon and he's Cobra Commander.

That's kind of funny. The Professor being there just mellows him out since in CF, he doesn't have to be the sole weapon forwarding Edelgard's dream and can relax a bit. I look forward to whatever insanity he spits in my next playthrough.

That said, holy poo poo, Edel needs a lot of time to get to S rank. I'm on chapter 16, and I just hit A on her. :stare:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Cythereal posted:

Getting S rank with one person of your choice with Byleth is a plot event, not affection based. You'll specifically be given a list of everyone of compatible orientation who you have an A rank with, the mystery box, or going solo.

Oh, I'm aware of that. But the "S" glows blue when they become an option, and like I said, I just got rank A on her in ch. 16. She was the last S rankable support I have available to me.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Someone tell me that I actually murder the gently caress out of Jeritza for his S rank. :v:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Natural 20 posted:

Play Awakening.

Awakening was super good and was far closer to a traditional FE game than Three Houses is.

Three Houses strikes me as the Valkyria Chronicles 2 of FE. Still fun, and I'll definitely dump 200+ hours into it, but overall worse than the more traditional ones, VC1 and 4. (I'm still mad VC3 never got a port.)

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Jun 13, 2020

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Are there any class abilities at the beginner or intermediate levels that are worth having, or should I get people to advance/master ASAP?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Thanks for the tips, everyone.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Thieves get Steal and Brawlers get Unarmed Combat, which you may want for the characters you put in those classes, and Mercenary and Cavalier give you Vantage and Desperation, which you want if you're doing a gimmick build based on getting counterattacked as little as possible.

Is Steal even useful? I kept two characters in Thief long enough to get it, but I haven't seen any weapons/items worth using a turn to snatch.

Cloacamazing! posted:

What everybody else said, but also you should unlock the classes ASAP, even if you still plan to master an earlier class. When you pass a certification exam, you get bonus stats that usually cover a weakness. Lysithea especially can use those additional points in defense.

So, from what I can tell, you only get stat bumps for the first certification you get for each tier. And, even then, it isn't guaranteed. I just got Jeritza classed as a Dark Knight, and he didn't get anything. Shima didn't get anything for unlocking Bow Knight. Lin got maybe a +2 cha for unlocking Bishop? But Lysithea got an absurd +8 def plus a smattering of other stuff for unlocking Warlock. :psyduck:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Just finished CF. Wow. They really went full Daenerys Targaryen with Rhea, didn't they? At least the opening cinematic makes sense. Though, I guess don't have the full picture since it never covered the Red Canyon storyline.

I saved at the midway split, so I'm debating whether to immediately start NG+ with the Deer or going the Church route. The issue with the latter being I failed to get Rhea to B before month 9, so I might not get the full story? Either way, that is a decision for tomorrow.

My biggest complaint about that final fight was the burning tiles didn't mention that they impede cavalry more that foot units, so I brought in all my horses, only to have to demount them for 80% of the map. >_>

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

galagazombie posted:

Has anyone else noticed that the English Localization seems... off? They just keep saying things that don't sound like something a native English speaker would say "Dmitri has been sentenced" sentenced to what? Finish the Sentence! Or how they keep saying "Kingdom Capital" instead of Fhirdiad or even "The Capital". just lots of stuff like that.

There were obviously a bunch of different teams working on different parts of the script. They were super inconsistent with how "foreign sounding" they wanted Petra to be.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Shinji117 posted:

Outside of the various "translation feel" things mentioned above, there are some real issues with the actual meaning of things being translated: see how in CF when you kill Cornelia and she's all "ahaha exactly as we planned" to Edelgard when she's actually saying "wow, you played us all this time and now we're boned". The translation isn't just "off", it's 100% the opposite of what it's supposed to be.

Thanks for clarifying that because that confused the poo poo out of me. I just chalked it up to not knowing the Kingdom story, yet.

Which makes me kind of sad that I stumbled onto CF as my first playthrough because it feels like that's the "true ending". :shrug: I don't know. It feels like you're supposed to go Blue -> Gold -> Black, and then do the other half as a side trip, but there's probably a lot I'm missing.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
lol. The character design for the FeMC is ridiculous. Was it really necessary to giver her booty shorts, designer leggings, and a bellybutton window?

I mean, as anime goes, it's still pretty tame, but compared to literally every other female in the game? (short Manuela, I guess)

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Jun 14, 2020

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Tired Moritz posted:

The enlightened one class outfit is probably the worst costume I have ever seen in a jrpg.

I'd like to introduce you to probably my favorite game of the entire Nintendo DS generation, Knights in the Nighmare...

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Oh boy, back to the CIA days

Is there anywhere in the game that elaborates on how magic works? I think its mentioned that Faith is Goddess Powered, but Reason is ??? If someone thinks hard enough, then a fireball appears?

It's just the typical fantasy trope Faith v. Intelligence/Wizdom/Reason differentiation. :shrug:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Tired Moritz posted:

don't use a dancer and just use that sword avo skill to murder everyone.

So, those weapon avoidance abilities. I'm guessing they're only active when you have that specific weapon equipped, right? You can't just have that weapon in an item slot? Or if you have a spell equipped?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Everyone someone says Ignatz's name, it sounds like fignuts.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

That Petra is looking a lot like Korra. :v:

So, I went S rank with Dorothea on my run, and Petra ended up marrying Lin. Do Petra and Dorothea get together if you choose someone else?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Amppelix posted:

you can easily check pairings out at the DLC-added fortune teller.

I'm not spending $25 on DLC for this game unless it is an entire new story route. :colbert:

Edit: Huh. Someone created a site where you can choose two characters and see their paired ending.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jun 15, 2020

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I'm in month 4 of a Deer playthrough, and I'm guessing Sylvain is a more-or-less guaranteed recruit? I wasn't even going for him, and he just opened up to poaching. I was able to snag Annette and am trying for Mercedes to keep the duo together. I bought a couple ranks for Lin, Dorothea, and Caspar to get them on this playthrough, too. Its crazy how much flexibility just buying rank A+ professor level alone opens the game up. I have way more characters than I know what to do with. Ignatz is a crap character and probably my weakest so far, so I have basically dumped him.

And I'm going to take a stab at Claude backstory on what they've given me so far + anime logic. He's obviously Almyran. His mother ran off with an Almyran warrior during one of their incursions into Alliance territory. He's likely the son of (or at least related to) that Nader guy I fought in the Eagle route. And it's why he was so keen on straight up leaving Fodlan after losing. And since everything revolves around Byleth and the Sword, Claude probably wants the Sword to conquer Fodlan and join it with Almyra. The specifics of "why" are more difficult to answer. It's probably due to some horrible genocidal act/war crime the old Adrestian Empire did against Almyra years prior. And now that I remember it, he mentions his crest a couple times, so it may be a minor variation of the Flame Crest or a mutation based on lineage to Nemesis that should theoretically let him use the Sword like how Edelgard was forcefully implanted with one.

Eimi posted:

Petra and Dorothea are one of the couples that the fandom has coalesced around and are now fanon. Like Sylvain and Felix or Hilda and Marianne.

Makes sense since Petra specifically asks Dorothea to come back with her to Brigid, but Hilda/Marianne? I've only hit their rank B so far, but I don't see it. I've been enjoying Hilda/Lorenz because its like two terrible people trying to manipulate each other, but only one is succeeding. And she's too dumb to realize how lovely a person it makes her.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
loving lol. Ok. I mean, makes sense at least. Just didn't expect them to be so blatant about it.

It's definitely an interesting situation to have more playable characters than the other two houses combined. Will be fun to see how they handle the Battle of Eagle + Lion. There should be a hidden route if you manage to snag all of the recruitable characters from the other two houses before the time skip. :v:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

snoremac posted:

Are their previous Fire Emblems with good stories? I've been pleasantly surprised by the relative maturity of TH compared to something like Final Fantasy. Some of it is dorky, but the worldbuilding is solid and the web of character relationships has me drawn in.

If you haven't played them, you'd probably love the Valkyria Chronicle games, then. VC2 is a lot like Three Houses in story set-up. And they're also tactics games, but incorporate semi-real time 3rd person shooting.

Here's my list, but take it with a grain of salt because I haven't played Blue Lions, yet and have only poached 3 of their characters into other routes:
1 Claude
2 Caspar
3 Dorothea
3 Lysithea
3 Manuela
6 Edelgard
7 Hubert
8 Shamir
8 Alois
10 Raphael

And a four-way tie for 11th between Annette, Bernadetta, Hilda, and Leonie. (I would probably swap Raph and Leonie.)
Scrub tier was also a four-way tie of Cyril, Gilbert, Hanneman, and Ignatz.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Hey, I said "story set-up," not "story execution." :v:

But yeah. The characters aren't good, but I enjoy the mechanics, so I still played the poo poo out of it. That said, it's a PSP game, so you might as well just go for VC1 + 4, anyway.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
lol. The final support scene between Hilda and Annette is them spooning.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
So, who/what class does everyone like to put their +movement equips/items on? Dancer? Flier? Tiny Murder Machine? Byleth?

Putting them on a beefy flier like Claude or your Dancer is probably OP, but I like the meme factor of putting them on a Nuke Mage w/ +range staff or Fortress Knight w/ A ranked bows. :v:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Wait. Edelgard dumps her whole team (except Hubert, of course) after the Holy Tomb incident?! :psyduck:

That makes no sense. Wouldn't she want all of these prospective leaders on her side? Especially Ferdinand, since he'd be the perfect replacement after removing the elder Aegir. Is she just that bad at making friends with everyone in routes you don't carry her?

Also, does this mean I can still recruit the rest of the Eagles post-timeskip?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Interesting. Just got through the next month, and I see how it plays out. It is interesting seeing how the folks you recruited from foreign houses react to basically turning on their own country.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I just figured out yesterday that you don't have to hook the first fish that hits your line. :aaa:

Just started VW and why didn't Edelgard maintain a presence at the monastery after winning the battle? You're just going to give up a fortified position that intersects all three regions? :psyduck:

Also, Dmitri is already dead and the Kingdom basically collapsed? I mean, I didn't expect everything to be completely the same, but its way different than CF where Edelgard was struggling to even push the front after five years.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

McTimmy posted:

The front lines had shifted enough it wasn't all that useful anymore.

It still doesn't make sense because they hadn't conquered the border Alliance territories in central Fodlan, so there was still a vector of attack from non-Imperial forces.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

The in-game explanation for this, as far as I can tell, is that Edelgard didn't call on Those Who Slither in the Dark when attacking the monastary if she had Byleth on her side. This puts her in a weaker position at the time of your return, but also lets her keep them at arm's length.

This makes sense. I don't look forward to seeing what deals-with-the-devil Edel had to make to get that far. :ohdear:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Mortal Savant Lysithea is a goddamn blender. :stare:

She singlehandedly took out almost half the map by drawing 7 enemies towards her and just Nosferatu-ing them for full refills. (Plus, shoutout to Raphael for guarding her twice.)

Tiny Murder Machiiiiiine!

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Amppelix posted:

she could do that just as well in literally any magic class since mortal savant doesn't buff nosferatu in any way. more on her than the class, really.

Yeah, but having a move of 6 is pretty nice for zipping around the map.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I was wondering about Aura Knuckles. I obviously haven't had a chance to use everyone, but is there someone who's actually geared to be a punchy mage?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Cythereal posted:

If you don't mind being silly, Sylvain as an aura knuckle Warmaster is certainly an idea. He has the axe strength to make getting there easier, and his MAG is plausible.

Yeah, I can see that. I ended up making Sylvain a Dark Knight in this playthrough, so it wouldn't be much of a stretch.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Woah. Dorothea really takes killing Ferdinand at the bridge hard. Like, she was always down on the war, in general, but when you have her killing other Eagles. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I just did that fight today. Petra was a goddamn ninja. (On hard mode), she had a base avoid of like loving 96 and was by far the hardest unit to fight on that map. :stare: