Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Won’t be getting it until after work.

Can’t wait to share with you folks :woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Made my first level just to play around with a clown car. Also wanted to get a feel for the maker
M8S-TTQ-QNF

Wish I could zoom out and get a bigger grasp of the stage but I can’t so might just use pen and paper first to map out what I want and then take it to the game.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Seesaws can’t be used to fling Mario across the map I take it? I’ve been playing with them but I can’t get them to do what I want.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Not sure about the difficulty on this because the Magikoopas can throw some curveballs...

Trials and Incantations

Q9V-NL7-90H

And my previous one is here if anyone missed it

Fly! Or Die!

M8S-TTQ-QNF

Do we have to edit the spreadsheet to add it to the goon list? I didn’t see any way to edit it

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Impermanent posted:

L5Y-XHV-Q1H "Spring High!" - A level I made to celebrate the humble spring.

Was able to clear it and really liked the spring format. Had to teach myself not to hold down that run button though because on the way up I kept grabbing the spring and loving myself over. Nice climb to the top and a few hidden bits in there were nice.

Good job

DalaranJ posted:

Add new levels using the form: https://forms.gle/35zuhSVaqScATRSJ9
The link is also above the spreadsheet link in post 3, it has :krakken: directly above it.

Thanks!

Spiffster fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jul 5, 2019

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Spectral wolf I swear your Desert Rush level is making me pull my hair out. I can’t get to the second beetle shell part no matter how hard I try

You are killing me here

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Thanks to zfleeman I got to see my level played by someone other then me and I see flaws. Do I have to pull a level in order to make changes to it? There are two trials in my last upload that need tweaking

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Reuploaded my one level with some of the kinks ironed out. I think it’s more straightforward now. Feedback is greatly appreciated on this

Trials and Incantations Redux

Code: 00M-QK6-8NG

Thanks in advance and hope this one is better for you guys.

Hope this is better for you zfleeman and thanks for the trial run on the original level

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Dbhjed posted:

Thanks for trying my level out, I reuploaded a new version with arrows that point to the coins and added a reset at the end if you didn't get all three.

6Y8-6MH-MQG is the new code for Defeat Mr. Mole's Army.

If any one wants to try the new one out, especially if you tried it before, let me know if you find the arrows and reset better. If you haven't tried it before let me know if you still get stuck at the end if you didn't get the red coins.

Loved this map except for that first red coin challenge. That last switch part for the shell kept me trying up until I had 30 or so seconds left on the clock. It was rough.

Loved it though and left a doodle comment for you

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Kirios posted:

Ant Touch This
2CB-MMH-RQF

Great tutorial level for the builder Mario powerup. Never really used it before this and got a decent feel for it now. Great theme as well

GI_Clutch posted:

Uploaded my third level.

Old School Athletic Part 2
BPW-XD5-PYG

Definitely felt like old school Mario and captured the feel of stage 1-3 of the original game while keeping to its own design. Not to hard and felt just right. Great job.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

I tried for an hour on that level and couldn’t get past the drat second buzzy beetle bit. Everything felt fair until that part because the timing felt like it changed on me. Like if I was a frame or two off I was gonna get killed. and that lower path man... rude

I will try it again when I’m in a better place. It’s a great design but that one part just feels over infuriating

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Phantasium posted:

It took me entirely too long to realize the coins were placed where you need to let go and when to jump.

I did have the thwomps at the end screw up one time but not hitting switches correctly when I might have had it, but otherwise everything worked.

The coin thing I figured out about 20 minutes in and that did help me get to the part I’m still suffering with but even though I’m pretty good with audio cues and timing I still kept getting clipped by the beetles when jumping. Like I know what needs to be done but I just can’t seem to get it right.

As for my next stage I’m Going to use the stage randomizer tonight to see if that gets some creative juices flowing.

Also saw that people have beaten and rated Trials and Incantations Redux and I’m so happy that my changes seem to have made it better. I didn’t want to be cheap on it and just wanted a solid challenge. Would love feedback if any Goons happened to have played either or both.

Spiffster fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jul 8, 2019

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Used the randomizer! Quick level for tonight. One of my featured blocks was impossible to use because it was a locked door and I couldn’t use a key or key coins so I had to make due with what I had. Here are the fruits of it.

Randomizer 1: Hop on Props

6WP-57H-8PF

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Dork457 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd8zqsZb9T0

I'm gonna be banned from mario maker

I’ve listened to enough podcasts to feel this level in my bones. :wtc:

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Ignite Memories posted:

did some randoms, here's my feedback:

M8S TTQ QNF
Fly! Or die!

this was a lot more fun once i started going from bumper to bumper. It plays like pac-man, except at the end you have to thread the needle to escape. I wish the exclamation points weren’t triangular. But maybe that was a clue I was missing?

Thanks for the play and feedback.

I do all my exclamation points as a triangular top actually that’s just the way I’ve made them since high school. Nothing meant as a hint by it but If you noticed it and questioned it others might as well. Will be conscious of that when I design in the future.

As for the threading the needle at the end I wanted to make it a little bit tense heading to the finish. It wasn’t to off putting was it?

I have a few other levels available that I haven’t put into the spreadsheet yet and one of the ones I did is dead because I reuploaded it after reviews from other goons. Check my post history for the link as I want to make one more randomized level before updating the spreadsheet. Thanks once again

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Been busy due to auditions and work for the past couple days but I’m back and I have brought two new levels! Feedback is appreciated!

Randomizer 2: Bullies on Ice
656-LCT-2QG
made this one in a half hour as a warm up with the randomizer website provided.

Turn on a Dime
8M3-S0K-X7G
I like the clown car powerup... dunno why. Pretty sure this was inspired by the randomizer but I couldn’t remember since it was started a few weeks ago and finished today.

And because I don’t think I added it to the spreadsheet (will rectify that) here are two of my older ones

Trials & Incantations Redux!
00M-QK6-8NG -
some goons streamed the original of this but it was a bit unintuitive and unfair so I tuned it up a bit. I hope it’s better for you

Randomizer 1: Hop on Props
6WP-57H-8PF
The original Randomizer I did.

Will be adding all these to the spreadsheet now.

Thanks for all the fun you Goons have given!

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

J-Spot posted:

I tired this one and noticed that if you're fast enough you can get to the clowcar before the p-switch times out and not have the chance to grab the next p-switch because it falls through the floor. Probably best to set it on ground.

I played that and never noticed that happening before. You are talking about he part after the quick run section correct? Gonna have to fix it

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

J-Spot posted:

Yup. I outran the switch timer a few times.

Will do some tweeks later and reupload. Anything else you want to add before I fix that?

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Anyone else having issues with getting access to the server? I keep getting timed out with Mario panic music as it loads (tried rebooting the connection and shutting down the console as well, no dice)

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Great stream but had to bail right before the end because my toddler decided midnight is time to party. And by party she just wanted water.

Thanks for everything!

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Submission for the blitz.

Blitz 1: Ghoststompers!
5W0-4N1-PXG

Made in less then an hour but at least I didn’t put in magikoopa and clowncars so... :shrug:

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

OneMoreTime posted:

Blitz level is complete, wanna rob a bank?

Break-in at the First Koopa Bank

Very fun! The bombs on the springs were a pain to get the big coins but the coins weren’t required to complete the level so it was just slightly annoying. The flow was still excellent and it was a great theme

alf_pogs posted:

blitz level!

Ghostnote - 1WR 1PP YDG

very standard cloud level that I made in about an hour this morning. there's some fun jumps and one-ups. if you don't like note blocks this might not be for you.

now time to play some blitzes!!!

You made me want to carry that spring all the way to the end. The only real problem for me was the one ghost in the middle that is hugging the ground. Good work!

Spiffster fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Aug 4, 2019

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

DalaranJ posted:

It was a pretty tough Blitz theme in my opinion, to be fair.

Indeed... I had to play around with the various power ups to find two uses for them in mine and I still felt like I was cheating a bit because the ultimate end of the level and it’s name involved the last bit that didn’t involve the blocks.

I still liked alf’s level. They put in some effort despite the restraints and felt it didn’t take away from the spirit of the challenge.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Forktoss posted:

If you feel like bouncing on top of some angry centipedes, journey down to Wiggler Willows: FPP-WWD-90H

(I just really like making these bog-standard vanilla Mario levels v:shobon:v)

Had fun he first time as a standard level and then blazing through it the second time. Fun as both a regular and speedrun level! Great work!

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Suspicious Cook posted:

Deep in a forgotten library rests ancient Thwomp knowledge. Go, learn, and:

Contemplate the Pebble
Y3S-YBY-VKF

Main problem with this level is if you miss the main thwomp near the end you can softlock yourself and have to die to reset. Once it’s gone it’s gone and doesn’t resplendent. Loved the design choices and it’s a great use of the enemy in general and inventive use of drag chutes!

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Khanstant posted:

559-D10-XKF - Clapping Block Rush

I stumbled a fairly simple contraption that has been really fun to watch streamers play and figure out. Starts out with them almost thinking it's a troll thing but it's actually very fair. They're slightly mesmerizing and your normal jumping instincts can work against you. I'm tempted to remake it so that the "true ending" is actually required for a speedrun because right now it's extra risk for coins and 1ups which only matter in endless.

It’s good but drat hard. Left a comment to give you a feel of what I was experiencing

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

J-Spot posted:

This was a lot easier than the <2% clear rate would have suggested. Were it not for a few awkwardly placed chain chomps I probably would have one shot it. Nice job!

The level makes you want to rush and that makes you rush into jaws of Chomps. You have plenty of time with each switch so take your time

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Gonna be rough especially since you have to hit a flagpole to win... if only there was a way to die and win at the same time...

Gonna have to think hard about this one to come up with something truly opposite

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Spellman posted:

Start on paper, sometimes I will sketch a cool set-up for a section at work, and stitch them together later in the day

You may look at your crappy sketches and think "how is this making the process easier", but Mario Maker's controls will slow you down just like any other digital creation tool, and you'll spend less time arguing with yourself about whether to place a muncher or a spiketrap

Can’t stress the paper sketch out enough. Really helps collect your thoughts and build it from there. Trials and incantations started that way and it’s the level I’m most pleased with design wise

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Plan to do some Random acts of Mario after rehearsal tonight. Will post reviews of what I think when I get through them.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Random acts of Mario levels reviewed!

Mist Mountain Marathon- by Thisisacoolguy
GG5-1KC-XNG

Dead link :thunk:
Spike Manor- by srypher
K2D-0M2-02H

This level had some infuriating bits to it, mainly near the end the one jump past the key door just constantly caused me to die despite being nowhere near a spike but it kept registering it as a hit. It’s just a basic rage level with a side of WHY?!?

3-4 Cloud Chaos- by Pixeltendo
760-47P-XVF

Was able to one shot it but it did have awesome ideas. The seesaw being utilized to such a degree was very nicely done! Got a like !

The last shack on the left- by E.G.G.S.
KMD-8TT-PYG

Fit the horror theme well and if it wasn’t for the checkpoint near the end I may have gotten a little salty. This is a level that I feel could have used some more hints on the last section because for a bit I was lost and hopelessly trying to hop up instead of what it required. Good work.

That’s enough for tonight wanted to do more but spike manor took up a lot of my play time. Thanks for the levels folks

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

That's weird, I just put the code in that you put down and it worked for me. I even have it pulled up on the TV right now.

Wonder what's goin on with it (and it makes me question the few levels I couldn't play the other day)

Will try it again later tonight. I put it in twice and both times it came back dead. Could have been a mistype or a online issue though so I can try again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Well folks... my buddy bought a copy of Fire Emblem and i just bought Persona 3 as well... hello time sinks. I’m not sure when I’ll be back to making levels myself but I will try to stop in on weekends to do more random acts of Mario reviews.