Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

This thread still exists and people periodically post in it! Awesome.

I just got this game about a week and a half ago, and have already made 4 levels.

Mush Top Rush (SP, SMB3)
-My first ever Mario Maker level. Based on feedback, I feel I should upload a revision that is more friendly to speed runs:

I am currently working on a fairly short multiplayer vs. puzzle level in SMW tiles. I'll likely upload it this morning. My next single player map, I guess, should be a NSMB skinned one. I'm just really partial to the NES Marios.

Prowler fucked around with this message at 01:02 on May 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prowler
May 24, 2004

mektarian posted:

Terrapin Tower
YB5-HL7-PJF
This is an homage to Bowser's Castle in Super Mario World. It has eight themed floors and is mostly a vertical level.
Unlike Bowser's Castle there is no Bowser fight and you have to do all eight rooms. :colbert:

This level is great! I like the themed rooms and the balanced design/difficulty.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Udenpah posted:

Y'all are so much faster than me in Ninja Speed Run. I'm still trying to break 37s.

Also, I agree that this is a pretty good lil' mario maker community. Good overall level quality, plenty of folks willing to try your stages (70% of my likes are from goons, godbless), varied feedback from different types of players, and as someone who mostly plays as an excuse to doodle, I appreciate how OneTimeMan creates a list for his streams that make it easier to knock out a bunch of stages all at once.

This is a long level, but I liked it. Nice separation of themes for each part of the tower, good clean platforming at each step, and good level hygiene (fair checkpoints, good spread of power-ups, and one-ups at the ax for endless folks). Nice job!

I liked this one overall. Its a bit cluttered, which is a given with multiple paths, though I liked how falling from a higher area rarely killed me.

Additionally, I played your multiplayer versus levels in single player and though that makes it a little hard to judge they overall seemed pretty good quality. In particular, I cheated and played your puzzle level already and I quite liked it! A very straight forward puzzle sequence that's not too finicky which is ideal when you're in a race situation, and a nice quick boss fight (poor boom boom). Seems great for multiplayer.

Are you Porkins? Because your comments are awesome!

Prowler
May 24, 2004

My Pro controller's left analog periodically drifts downward. If I blow into it, it stops.

No idea why it works or what could be messing with it, but at least I have built-in Johns for Smash.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Missed the stream, my building caught on fire!

I just finished my second vanilla-style platforming level in SMB3 called "Mush Rush 2 the Sky", a sequel, of course.

KB6-XKP-J9G

I took the feedback I received from my first level and made an optimized path through the level, so it's actually easy to clear in under 35 seconds. Or take your time and enjoy the level, which is probably SMB3 world-5 level difficulty.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Norton posted:

That level is real good. I like the vibe/aesthetic and the difficulty is perfect for me. I died a few times but it was always my fault.

Thank you!

OneMoreTime posted:

Oh no! I hope it is now less on fire.

Yes. I had to rush out of a smokey building with my cat wrapped in a hamper sweater and wearing PJs, lol.

My apartment survived. 309 did not, poor guy. Our building is only about 6 blocks from a FD, thankfully.

Phantasium posted:

hmm... I am... 126 levels behind, poo poo

I always love pointing these out, short isn't a banned word, what got the filter mad was...

"Link, land-based course multiplayer level with a short water phase."

Ooooooh. Makes (some) sense.

Prowler fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Feb 11, 2020

Prowler
May 24, 2004

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Would it be too late to add this to your list OMT? :v: Just sent my joycons in so I'm done creating until they get back. Gonna get to actually playing levels in the coming days.

That said;

I'm super happy with how this came out, I genuinely think it's one of my better stages and would love to hear what goons have to say about it. I tried to dot checkpoints in logical areas and there's a handful of power ups scattered about. I even got to use a couple mechanics I don't see used very often :v: ! I'm really proud of it.

I enjoyed this level! I would strongly consider adding some sign-posting. More than once, I was unsure how to progress before it was too late: since you have to move left to right so often, I felt like I died more often to indecision than obstacles.

Also, don't be offended by the sun vomiting rainbows onto a mushroom drawing. It's a good thing!

Prowler fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Feb 12, 2020

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Did some streamer (lol) play your level, I wonder?

Prowler
May 24, 2004

I need to try out some of the levels that have been posted, I've been slacking!

I wanted to make a level with a gimmick, and after two mediocre unpublished puzzle-style levels, I instead went with a mediocre platforming level with a gimmick! And because I really love this tile set.

Plumber's Plant Panic
V2D-NJ2-FRF

SMB3 again (because it has my favorite platforming of the 3 classic styles). Level is half submersed in water, but power-ups are peppered throughout!

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Palmtree Panic posted:

Dry Dry Underworld

NHQ-YVB-MYF

Run across the dry dry desert & send koopas to their deaths below. Beware though, as you come across the underworld & the experience the eternal anguish of your foes.

Enjoy this classic style level in the SMB1 theme.. I'm

This was an enjoyable level! I died a few times to those damned platforms that push you through the ceiling. I moved faster than I normally would have because that sound effect kept playing as I stalled on the dry bones, and I hate ghost blocks.

Enjoy my rendition of a Koopa Troopa in the desert.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Made a new level with what I think is a fun theme

A Toad construction company has reached out to Mario and his friends. They're having trouble building a fancy new hotel apparently as ghosts attack them at night. Mario finds this claim to be a bit silly so he agrees to check it out. Let's hope he can reach the end :ghost:

I usually hate dark levels, but this provided me with enough light most of the time to be an enjoyable, if tense and slow, platforming experience. I died a few times near the end because those damned hidden ghost moving platform things drive me up the wall. I'm sure there's a pattern to them, but I usually just say, "gently caress it" and either rush and die (they pop up to say hello right where you're standing).

Enjoy my scribble of a Boo.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

The boo scribble is great! And I'll have to rethink floor boos moving forward then. My idea for them was to show the player where there was flooring while still being dangerous so I still don't have a lot of knowledge about how they work 'behind the scenes' in things. Glad you liked it though! I think!

Oh, no, I liked it. I would have immediately dipped from a dark level if I wasn't enjoying it. OneMoreTime more or less echoed my complaints about the floor boos (and died in the exact same way I did--one appearing right beneath him).

Prowler
May 24, 2004

OneMoreTime posted:

Level list for tonight's stream at 5 PM PST/8 PM EST

https://www.twitch.tv/onemoretimegfsn

1. Plumber's Plant Panic
By: Prowler V2D-NJ2-FRF

For what it's worth, you've actually already played my level--I added it to the viewer list last time. :) (IGN: LilLowlife)

Prowler
May 24, 2004

So, my last level was built to be difficult with the simple gimmick of dealing with platforming hazards caused by a little bit of water, but I eventually decided to experiment/caved and decided to see how it would fare if I made it the easiest of my platforming levels.

Surely enough, the play-to-like ratio is twice as high (1:6 to 1:3) and higher comment proportion, as well. I think it's sitting at about 25% clear rate.

I'm sure there are other intervening factors as well, and etc, I just find this more fascinating than it really is and want charts and statistics.

Also, I might just put out the original version, remixed how I originally intended.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Pakled posted:

I "like" any level that appears to have a modicum of effort put into it.

Yep, same here. On the other hand, I will boo any level that has choose-a-pipe/guess or die, a dev door, or outright enemy spam.

I will "Meh" any level that I encounter in multiplayer that just seems broken for multiplayer.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

I really enjoy the platforming of Super Mario 3D World, but the style just lacks so many of the tools of the other four. That said, this will be the second level I've made using this theme, albeit the first traditional platformer:

Super Spike Bounce Ball
JYX-BF2-Y2G

"Fungus among us flung us into spikes humongous."

Standard platforming level with Spike, spike balls, inclines, water physics, and bouncy fungus as the gimmick. I tried to make a level where the difficulty scales depending on how you approach it. And, based on how some people play this game, I suspect this is going to have a sub 10% clear rate, and a low level of Likes. It is a counterpart to Plumber's Plant Panic.

Which sucks, because all the gimmicks can be circumvented, and just like all my other levels, there is a golden path, as well as secrets that bypass the major hazards.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

In Training posted:

Some good old fashioned running and jumping with a mish-mash of enemies and secrets.

Think I'm gonna try to make something elaborate with clear pipes, they're pretty cool.

I have to admit, I died once to that last damned fire bro, who nearly killed me again as I exited the pipe the second time through ("Uh oh," I thought, as I entered the pipe with it after getting hit once).

I suspect this is part of what you meant about the clear pipes and I feel I am enabling you.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Am I alone in thinking that 1-1 remakes are horribly overdone and uncreative? Seriously, I got Mario Maker 2 back in January, my first entry into the series, have only played maybe 100 unique courses, and even I'm sick of them.

I think it would be more interesting to build around a specific theme or item.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

I think checkpoints should be based on the relative difficulty of the section of the level they precede. Good checkpoints I've encountered exist right before the escalation of a gimmick's difficulty. Depending on the style of level, a "soft" checkpoint in the form of a power-up may work better (if it makes sense, of course).

Here's an example of my thought process of how to place checkpoints based on the newest level.

In the first half, the gimmick is introduced relatively safely: first, the player has to deal with bouncy ground and bouncy goombas. Then they encounter an enemy that generates obstacles that will bounce unexpectedly: Spikes and their spike balls. Players without the cat suit *must* dodge the spike balls. The Spike enemies then grow in size after the cat powerup is (potentially) obtained, giving additional protection and a tool for dealing with the larger balls. The fungus pads also increase in frequency, and the player has to deal with Spikes in a more narrow area. One way or another, though, players can remove threats using the tools offered (koopa troopa shells, Cat Mario, waiting and then stomping on the Spike enemies).

In the second half, however, Spikes are mostly gone in favor of pre-spawned (and constantly spawning) spike balls, and water is added as an another complicating factor. The first obstacle right after the checkpoint is a large spike ball moving slowly through water. I expected some players to just try to jump over it, only to be hindered by the water physics and get hit. So, there's a tree to climb and avoid the situation altogether if you're patient and scope it out. Right after that is another escalation: no tree, water, and a bouncy fungus pad in the middle instead. The tools available in the first half to deal with these threats are mostly gone or not as helpful--players must now deal with each hazard in the intended way (e.g. long jump over the watery, bouncy, spiky pit of death). Even with the checkpoint and powerup, I expected players to get hit at least once to these obstacles (even on a respawn), so I put a "soft checkpoint" (a powerup) before what I considered the most difficult section: the spike balls falling out of pipes into the water and onto bouncy pads part. The mushroom (or fire flower) gives players the opportunity to not lose their progress in spite of the difficulty increase.

On a related note, I love seeing the thought process behind level creation. Carlsagan42 recently released a reaction video for his "evil troll level" where he explains what he expected players to do and how he built trolls around those expectations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBLgCi_aSO4

Prowler fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Mar 5, 2020

Prowler
May 24, 2004

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Yeah I was mystified in yesterdays stream when things weren't desynched so I have no idea what I was doing wrong. Very confused and I feel pretty dumb now :v:.

Here's a hot question, I'm putting together a level and I really like the layout. If you go slow it's a standard platforming stage but if you go fast and route it you can speedrun it pretty naturally. Wondering how often people actually feel like speedrunning levels though. Currently debating in my head if I should try to hamper the player to make the stage get more kills or leave it as is for speed.

Why not both? My last level became harder the longer you waited around (if you didn't know the obstacles) because Spike takes some time to throw their first ball, cycles start up once they get on screen that could be by passed before they fully start (e.g. those giant moving piranha plants), etc. So, if you took the fast route and/or picked up the cat suit, you could breeze past obstacles before they were actually considered obstacles. Or deal with a spike ball flying at you while you wait for a plant to move out of your way. All three of my traditional platforming levels have moving enemies positioned to spawn specifically so that they can be dodged by simply holding right and running.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Hi all, it's been a while! Thank Animal Crossing, mostly.

I have a new(ish) level and one that I am polishing up right now.

Frosty Fungus
Short 'n Sweet. Can you beat the clear check time (21 seconds)?
RSJ-JNJ-62H

Currently sitting at 8% clear rate, I assume because folks have been trying to beat 21 seconds. It is my first New Super Mario Bros. themed level.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

I really enjoyed making my last Super Mario 3D World level, so I created another full-length one. It feels short, though, due to the excessive use of speed pads.

It's very possible to speed run, although there is a forced waiting period in the second part due to the lava rising and falling. In retrospect, probably not even necessary.

Speedy Fleety Fire
RV9-D82-W8G

Speed pads and lava. What could possibly go wrong?

Prowler fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Apr 13, 2020

Prowler
May 24, 2004

super fart shooter posted:

Hey, I got first clear! Nice course

One small thing, and this is not a criticism specific to this course, I've seen lots of people in this thread do it... but why put the checkpoint before the warp pipe? It's not a big deal, but it adds an extra few seconds of waiting before each attempt on the second screen, since you have to go through the pipe animation... and in this case it seems like you could've just put it at the beginning of the next section instead. Just a minor annoyance, but I've noticed a lot of people do this for some reason

It's an artifact from planning the stage. I expected to make the first half harder than it actually is, making a second checkpoint almost necessary. Wound up not adding one and forgot to move it.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Buzzy Beetles' Big Break - 09R-NP5-SKG
It's mating season! Beware, plants also hitch rides on these randy buzzies.

A Super Mario Bros 3 level that was, in part, inspired by the non-existent level on the back of the NA box art that I, as a kid, tried to find in vain. It's a vanilla+ level, as it uses some elements not native to SMB3, but otherwise a standard, World 5 level difficulty level.

My playtime has plummeted thanks to Animal Crossing, of course.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Man, what kind of voodoo magic is used for those 'control the mushroom' levels?

A) How does Mario not die going off screen like that?
2) what makes the mushroom jump when you do?
D) how did anyone figure this out?!

A) Scroll enough not to kill. Notice how you don't instantly die the second you are off-screen in a vertical scrolling level.
2) A feature of the night theme.
D) Testing, trying. This one people probably checked for, knowing how other powerups act at night.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Thanks for playing my level! I wound up showing up really late and not in time to watch most of the stream, but I did lurk for a short while.

Edit: And I agree, the clear rate should be much higher!

Prowler fucked around with this message at 15:10 on May 16, 2020

Prowler
May 24, 2004

I'm pretty sure the answer is no, but: is there any way to control which direction an enemy will face when they spawn on screen? Right now, I am working with ant troopers, and I want 4 of them to circle around a platform, all marching in the same direction. When I place on the ground or on the right side, it starts marching left/ccw. If I place it on the left or bottom portion of the platform, it marches clockwise.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

I still very rarely play this game and haven't yet felt motivated use any of the new tools! You would think it'd be the opposite, but nope!

To get back into the groove, I created a short, sweet, and easy Super Mario Bros style level with a CP:

Koopa Troopa Nights
YDG-46N-BTF
Vanilla SMB style. Can you beat the clear check time?

(Clear check is 20.822)

I guess I'll fool around some more with 3D world and try a different level style.

Prowler fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Aug 13, 2020

Prowler
May 24, 2004

I am creating a multiplayer level that will have a clear goal of riding Yoshi. If I place more than one Yoshi eggs on screen, only two Yoshi will spawn and the other two eggs disappear. Does this happen in multiplayer? Is there any way to test this without uploading the level?

It seems as though I should just relegate it to a question block instead.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Completely useless fact: triple jumping in NSMB will completely stop your momentum upon landing (i.e. when not holding left or right). Not a particularly useful mechanic, though.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

I have decided to expand my horizons a little and create a few levels that are less "Mario" levels and more "Mario Maker" levels. I finished my first auto-scroller level AND dark level:

Title: Race Your Fears
Description: If Tears are for Fears, this level may make you cry.
Course ID: YK1-JQ6-MQG

I am now working on a Kaizo-lite level, which will be a series of challenge rooms. The first room I created is a series of bounces off of koopa troopas stacked on top of goombas (which are stacked on munchers). I expect the player to bounce on the koopa troopa, then bounce on the goomba while holding the run button to pick up the shell. However, I seem to be running into an annoying amount of inconsistency with this: sometimes, Mario simply will not grab the shell and just bounce off the goomba instead.

I'm using the SMB3 tileset. Is this is a hitbox issue? Should I use something else beneath the koopa troopa?

Edit: It seems moles work better for this purpose.

Prowler fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Oct 20, 2020

Prowler
May 24, 2004

First time I've released so many levels so close together.

My first kaizo-ish course! It's rather short, and probably ridiculously easy for most folks. The first part was fun to design! The second part, after the CP, is hard to do in handheld mode/with the joycons.

Water Way to Go
Course ID: YKF-V06-R7G
Description: Two short kaizo-style trick rooms, short, one cp.

Ironically, it has a higher clear rate than Race your Fears and it's only been up for about 15 minutes.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

What's that, you say? Clamoring for more levels in this dead thread? Say less.

Koopa Troopa Double Loopa
Course ID: PHQ-NFM-QDF

This is a course in the same vein as "Water Way to Go", except even less technical. Koopa bouncing! Making these short challenge stages has been fun, I'm tempted to put together an actual kaizo level soon.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

May Contain Nuts posted:

I'm trying to design a 'no key' check. I think this design works, but I may have missed some cheese. Anyone mind checking it for me?

RS6-8VR-0VG

I wasn't able to cheese it, and I cannot think of a way to do it without triggering the block or opening the door.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

So, I have been going through and completing some of the half-created or half-baked levels that I started in between projects. I technically started on this level sometime before June to give my (then) eventual vanilla SMB3 world it's first airship/boss level.

Iggy's Cargo Airship Heist
"Iggy Iggy Iggy can't you see, sometimes your wand just vaporizes me."

MLV-KR8-20G

Prowler fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Nov 7, 2020

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Perry Normal posted:

My first level for the second half of my Super World - The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzkoopa 76M-TG3-CXG.

The legends live on that a massive storm sent the Edmund Fitzkoopa careening into an iceberg that shattered the ship that was carrying the legendary treasure, Gord's Gold. Your mission is to search for the treasure in the big lake they call Gitche Gumee!

Saw this during OMT's stream and played it myself! Nice level! I'm sure someone is going to easily steal that WR since I am destined to lose the frog suit at the last second.

Since I really enjoyed creating Koopa Troopa Double Loopa and Water Way to Go, I decided to make a less-forgiving, slightly longer kaizo-lite level using elements from the former:

The Invention of Crying
"If at first you don't succeed, cry, cry again. *** difficulty, 1cp."
935-9C3-2WF

My names are getting cornier. Anyway, despite the description, it is fairly difficult, if not short. My next level of this type will involve more platforming, more Rube Goldberg, and 2 CPs worth of sections.
Edit: the focus is wall bounces with koopa shells in SMB. The tricks require somewhat strict timing. 3/5 difficulty is probably underselling it, lol.

Prowler fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Nov 12, 2020

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Yet another in a series of levels I started months ago but never finished:

Ants, Plants, & Pokey Bees
Requisite desert level. You want ants? Cuz this is how you get ants!
MQJ-7C5-PSF

Nothing particularly special about this level other than it being my easiest, vanilla Super Mario 3D World level. I like the mode, but it feels hard to design for sometimes!

This more or less satisfies my recent urge to make kaizo levels and finish old vanilla levels! It's a shame this thread is mostly dead again.

May Contain Nuts posted:

I was messing around with SMW koops and made some stuff, I'll probably make more.

Koopa in the Shell HX8-WG6-PSF

Koopaling Eviction YFK-F4G-DPG

A series of semi precise jumps sending koopalings down a line of shells.

Enjoy!

The Koopa in the Shell one I couldn't figure out--I went in a slightly different direction thinking of more janky SMW scenarios. I'm not sure how to do a hint room either.

Koopaling Eviction was, uh, quite something. I feel partially responsible for this level. Sorry everyone.
(Seriously, it's a neat idea, but after one of the koopalings fell into the spike pit after a successful effort on the rest...I gave up for my own sanity.)

Prowler fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Nov 12, 2020

Prowler
May 24, 2004

May Contain Nuts posted:

In the first pit knock the koopa out of the shell. Then as it goes back in but before it rights itself you have to pick it up and jump and throw into the next pit.

Then use the shell to hit the switch and the koopaling will walk to the noteblock.

Yeah, it's a bit jank. I found a fix for that, but it requires a bunch of one-ways and they ruin the aesthetic.

Oh, to be clear, I totally did that level after reading your original spoiler. I just meant I could not figure it out on my own (I died trying to pick up the shell the first time I tried).

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Penguin Patrol posted:

Hello friends, I normally post over in Fight Island but I've been streaming for the last few days and absolutely having a blast with it. I hope I'm not encroaching on OMT's territory, but I would love to play your levels. Been a super tiny stream so far, so I'll probably start by playing through the last few levels mentioned here until enough folks show up for viewer levels.

Going live now
http://twitch.tv/kiarrrash

Edit: lol Well the Invention of Crying was absolutely kicking my rear end so I ended up playing viewer levels from the folks who showed up. Definitely not giving up on that one, but I just could not figure out that early jump with the two koopas on top of each other.

Hiya!

Missed your stream yesterday, but caught the beginning of the VOD.

Pay close attention to the yellow p-block indicators: that koopa stack is a single-bounce only--you're expected to continue full speed ahead. You actually only ever bounce on a Koopa either once or three times, never twice in this level, now that I think about it... edit: nm, I'm dumb.

I was worried people would try to do that--but I wanted that paratroopa there for later shenanigans. OMT had similar issues, FWIW. I'll keep that in mind for later levels. Thanks for playing!

Prowler fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Nov 19, 2020

Prowler
May 24, 2004

New Course! I'm feeling confident enough to start making more wacky style expert/super expert courses. Maybe.

Heroes in a Half Shell Jump
LHC-QXK-J6G

I tried to record myself completing the course for those interested, but forgot Switch only does 30s replays. Oh well! This is probably the hardest course I have made thus far..

I may reupload depending on how annoyed I am about a scroll issue: when you restart at the checkpoint, the screen scroll does not reveal the second pipe, meaning only one para-paratroopa will appear to bounce off of. The thing is, it is just as easy to get a running start and bounce off of the one instead of using both. And scrolling it manually makes the jump easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prowler
May 24, 2004

In working on these recent shell levels, I noticed that kicked koopa shells travel at different speeds, based on how you run into them.

I thought there were only two speeds: the walking kick speed and the running kick speed; however, based on some testing, this does not seem to be the case (I had a shell bounce three different ways). I'm not sure if there are other factors intervening (e.g. muncher hitbox, the subtle sway of a stacked enemy pile).

Has anyone else encountered this? Are there good way to control shell travel speed other than having a "machine" do it instead of the player?