Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you wish to win the Democratic primaries?
This poll is closed.
Joe Biden, the Inappropriate Toucher 18 1.46%
Bernie Sanders, the Hand Flailer 665 54.11%
Elizabeth Warren, the Plan Maker 319 25.96%
Kamala Harris, the Cop Lord 26 2.12%
Cory Booker, the Super Hero Wannabe 5 0.41%
Julian Castro, the Twin 5 0.41%
Kirsten Gillibrand, the Franken Killer 5 0.41%
Pete Buttigieg, the Troop Sociopath 17 1.38%
Robert Francis O'Rourke, the Fake Latino 3 0.24%
Jay Inslee, the Climate Alarmist 8 0.65%
Marianne Williamson, the Crystal Queen 86 7.00%
Tulsi Gabbard, the Muslim Hater 23 1.87%
Andrew Yang, the $1000 Fool 32 2.60%
Eric Swalwell, the Insurance Wife Guy 2 0.16%
Amy Klobuchar, the Comb Enthusiast 1 0.08%
Bill de Blasio, the NYPD Most Hated 4 0.33%
Tim Ryan, the Dope Face 3 0.24%
John Hickenlooper, the Also Ran 7 0.57%
Total: 1229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

LOGIC AND COMMON SENSE? YOU AIN'T GET THAT FROM ME!

Cerebral Bore posted:

Unless you've literally been in a coma for the past four years this debate won't be your first impression of Bernie Sanders, so I dunno what the hell you're on about.
I don't think nearly as many people were paying attention last time around though (2016 debates), I know I wasn't. I started paying more attention since then and obviously know more about him and have heard him speak about his agenda however many hundreds of times like I'm guessing you probably have but I'm not sure the general public is as tuned in.

I didn't see the debates yesterday unfortunately so I'm just speaking in generalities here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

VH4Ever posted:

I allow for this possibility but I just have no loving patience for it. Folks ITT already know I had no patience for the stupid Gravel thing either. No. Joke. Candidates.
The sole purpose of Gravel was to get him on stage to directly attack Biden and the other lovely centrists for a whopping $1 (or $4.20 if you're feeling generous) knowing full well he wasn't going to steal the thunder of any of the progressives. Marianne literally serves no purpose.

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

Punk da Bundo posted:

Funny how the “joke “ candidates are the only ones saying anything worth listening to . Marianne the ONLY one calling out American imperialism in South America , while the others stood silent .
If you're talking about the debate solely (where time allotment is an issue) then sure. Bernie has talked about Lula in Brazil plenty outside of the debate and is the only one to do so thus far.

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

edit: deleted

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

Pre-debate I would've never guessed she'd be getting this much attention (here and elsewhere) while Yang and Pete* are barely an afterthought.

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

Typo posted:

it's cuz they gave yang like 2 questons and williamson like 5
I fully get that, it just shows how important the format of the debate is in framing everything. (and in Bernie's case that's not ideal because the questioning is driven by billionaire advertisers)

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

Yes Joe, this is a great strategy, please do this!

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

https://twitter.com/dril/status/1144693644223381504

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

Gripweed posted:

Here's a big thread about why Buttigieg is bad, mostly stuff we knew about him doing everything he can to protect a racist, murderous police department. But this one was a surprise

https://twitter.com/niktaylorde/status/1145726512714387456

Lol I thought maybe this was an old quote from long ago and a position he might’ve changed or something. But this was a question they asked all the candidates.

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

Armack posted:

Show me where I said we have to give up. I am a Bernie donor and text volunteer for Bernie, which I have also indicated in my posts.
Same!

Honestly I get your pessimism and don't think you were acting in bad faith or whatever, as much as I want Bernie to win and I thought Biden was inevitable when he had that huge of a lead, most voters don't really pay close attention to politics, and the whole part about the voters only caring about electability/beating Trump. Even after his initial bump faded he had some serious lasting power in the polls for a while and I didn't think one debate was going to see him fall this much (and even then he still has a lead in most polls).

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

Montalvo posted:

as I was merely pointing out that the pushback to women and minorities that dislike Bernie comes from people who are not women and minorities
Briahna Joy Gray is not a woman nor minority.

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

I actually met a girl who I believe is now a paid Buttigieg staffer. I think it was New Years (2018 maybe?) and somehow politics got brought up and the details are hazy but I remember mentioning something about needing to get more progressive candidates in the dem party or saying that the future of it was more progressive or something like that (or it could've even been policy specific like Medicare for All) and she tried to make some lame argument about how the middle is safer or what have you. And then I laughed and asked her how that worked last time and she had some typical lame excuse that showed she learned absolutely nothing from 2016.

I totally forgot about that interaction until my buddy (same buddy/current roommate who I got into an argument with after he told me Ben Shapiro is really smart and it's hard to argue against his logic) told me she was working for him likely because he was the only one willing to pay her. Can't say I'm terribly shocked.

TrixR4kids fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jul 11, 2019

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

Punk da Bundo posted:

“What’s next pay off everybodies mortgage ?!”
I've seen boomers on facebook argue this or a slight variation asking Bernie to pay off their mortgage. Even though we know full well that they either inherited the property, or bought it when houses cost far less and the property appreciated in value ten fold even with the financial crisis.

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

https://twitter.com/MikeGravel/status/1149381689141059589

I doubt the guy is going to make the debates even if he technically qualifies but at least the small donations they got are going toward something useful.

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

Didn't know it existed yet, thanks for posting!

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

King of Solomon posted:

Getting Gravel into the debates IS productive
Exactly and it's kinda disappointing more progressive outlets aren't signal boosting this or treating it like it's some type of joke in the first place. He's there to go negative on the bad candidates, something Bernie won't do.

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

It'd be one thing if Gravel was seriously looking to become president and could potentially steal supporters away from Bernie, there was some potential, however small, of that happening with Gabbard initially (and I made sure to tell the progressive friends I knew who were on the fence between her and Bernie how bad her record is on certain issues). But the guy is 89 and I doubt has any real delusions of running and won't qualify for the later debates anyhow. In which case I have zero problem with showing people that ad and telling them that if they donate a whopping $1, if nothing else they might be able to make similar ads going forward and he could get to the next debate and trash some of the awful candidates. And I can only see that helping no matter how small of an effect it might have (probably enough to justify the $1 expenditure).

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

Punk da Bundo posted:

my god what kind of monster would look at Tulsi and be like yeah I want her as the president . Gravel is 90 and is more in touch with how awful America is than some weird robot like Pete butt
She was (is?) an Our Revolution candidate who threw her support to Bernie in 2016 I believe and claimed to support M4A (but then didn't in the first debate... ‾\_(ツ)_/‾) and is younger. That said I don't think any of them took a critical look at her record until the media started hitting on that more as did some of the progressive podcasts (at least Majority Report did). And then there was one loonbat in that group who just tried to claim that every attack on her was fake news and the work of the Russians (because that makes sense lmao).

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

Condiv posted:

https://twitter.com/thedailybeast/status/1149654663773343744

its extremely disheartening to me that warren is finding ways to get around paying her staff

it calls into question her labor friendlyness (which is supposed to be her selling point) when she's pulling this stuff
A media piece that is actually critical of Warren!? 0_0

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

sexpig by night posted:

it didn't help that the weird teens running his entire campaign keep trying to make things about them and making weird 'haha yea I'm going to Oxford but I still wanna join the military after doing ROTC, you know, for woke reasons' comments. That's the problem with a campaign literally run by other people, no one really is getting much of Gravel's messaging because, ya know, he's not doing anything
Yeah I'm not saying it's a flawless operation by any means, as one would expect given the circumstances. I can't pretend I read everything on Gravel's twitter and I follow so many different progressive people/journalists/politicians that a lot gets lost in the shuffle so I'll take your word for it.

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

How many hours do fellows work? Is it a few hours a week or is it more like a full time job?

Just trying to see how it differs from an army of unpaid volunteers who, as far as I'm aware, every candidate has.

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

Ogmius815 posted:

Well, that’s my point. This is something like the legal difference between an employee and a contractor. I think there’s room for volunteer positions on campaigns and not for profit organizations that come with concrete commitments and expectations.
Having been a contractor I can tell you that the legal difference in that instance isn’t exactly pro-labor and it really loving sucks to be one. In this instance you have people with set hours and expectations not getting paid at all so it’s even worse than that, it’s basically an unpaid internship.

And being a volunteer is something else entirely, you go off the clock whenever you feel like it and put in as many or few hours as you want. There’s a pretty massive difference between doing that and doing an unpaid internship.

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

Cerebral Bore posted:

It's almost like Bernie plans to fix that by making college free.

Was gonna say, you don’t accrue a lot of debt if it costs $0.

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

There are reasons to go to college other than getting a job afterward and I honestly don’t see how else you solve that problem. I can’t imagine it’d be legal to force employers to drop the college degree requirement for instance.

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

Look he said it’s his second choice, they’re all gonna be bad no matter who you pick if you’re a Bernie supporter. We spent however many pages talking about MAW’s anti-vaxxer stuff, why Warren isn’t trustworthy, and why the rest aren’t even remotely an option.

Yang’s UBI does suck rear end and is basically a lovely libertarian version (like pretty much every UBI that’s ever been proposed) but I’m not sure it’s more disqualifying than the regressive stuff the other candidates support like no hospital left behind.

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

Z. Autobahn posted:

What is there to comment on? No one has, as far as I know, ever claimed Warren is the preferred candidate of black voters. Warren's support is overwhelmingly white and college-educated, skewing female. Has anyone ever claimed otherwise?
Some of her supporters are the same Hillary people who commented on Bernie's following being solely white "bros", that's what they're getting at. Their hypocrisy isn't exactly shocking.

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

Condiv posted:

as for williamson, i'm not sure why people are melting down about a joke candidate that is not gaining any traction at all
Well the one guy started posting about Yang being his second choice and then everyone piled on him while saying she was a much better one and then the same argument about her that happened like 20 pages back happened again. We've come full circle.

There just aren't any good second choices. Warren would probably be mine (at least in terms of one that has any shot at winning) and I wouldn't exactly be excited about it for all the reasons mentioned ITT.

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Way to just pretend Mike Gravel doesn't even exist
I think his only goal is to get on stage and trash centrists, not actually win, he's what 89 YO?

And even as someone who donated to him I forget that he exists because he's not even allowed to debate due to how lovely the DNC is.

TrixR4kids fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jul 18, 2019

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I hate to tell you this but Crazy Crystal Lady's only goal is to get on stage and sell books

More importantly though "get on stage and sell books" was also Trump's initial goal, initial goals don't matter that much if a candidate takes off.
I get that, also see my edit.

As far as second choices go Gravel is probably the most morally defensible I have no argument there.

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

Oh Snapple! posted:

I mean it in the sense that I rarely see the folks who flip their poo poo over Williamson react similarly to other candidates.

E: as an example, Liz's horrendous I/P poo poo has been brought up fairly often and it never earns more than a shrug from the folks who weren't already side-eyeing her, but lord do folks get real mad about Williamson and occassionally Gravel.
Pretty much this, Warren being lovely in various ways hasn't caused the thread meltdowns that the MAW discussions always seemingly lead to. And to be honest one is a far more productive conversation because they're an actual threat to win and is running as the runner up "most left" candidate.

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

gohmak posted:

Federal Jobs Guarantee
That would help and admittedly I kinda forgot about that policy.

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

Majorian posted:

He's a little disappointing on health care - his stance is the annoyingly mealy-mouthed "Medicare for All who want it/I don't want to make private insurance illegal" type of thing. I also don't get the impression that he's willing to drastically overhaul the American economy to the degree that his climate change plans would require. He's still a good dude, and probably my third or fourth choice, but he's got some weak points too.
That's gotta be the most annoying part about these people who are polling at 1% or lower, why not just support what is clearly the best healthcare plan? They're not going to win anyhow.

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

Main Paineframe posted:

Today, at the Iowa state fair, Biden scored a big victory over the gotcha press, who were trying to bait him into politically foolish moves like calling Donald Trump a white supremacist!

Wait, what?

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1159625613822631936

It really seems like his brain is still stuck in 2015 where everyone had to dance around things and use euphemisms because it was undecorous to come out and straight-up say that a politician was a liar or a racist.
https://twitter.com/JTHVerhovek/status/1159561051601612802
It's so weird because he said the president supports white supremacy and, "there isn't much of a distinction" (paraphrasing) but then won't go as far as calling him one despite there being no real risk in doing so because.... :shrug:

joepinetree posted:

Biden surrogates have been pushing the "medicare for all takes away your healthcare to give it to illegal aliens," a talking point that was included in the El Paso shooter's manifest. It's the least surprising thing that he doesn't want to call anyone white supremacist.
Wait really?

TrixR4kids fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Aug 9, 2019

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

joepinetree posted:

What part? Rahm Emanuel, who has spent a lot of time after leaving office defending the Biden campaign (though he says he hasn't made up his mind yet) specifically attacked medicare for all as taking away healthcare from 150 million people to give it to undocumented immigrants.The talking point was so common that it was one of the first questions for Bernie during the debate. There's this columnist that is one of the biggest Biden stans (sample of column titles: "Three reasons why Joe Biden should run in 2020," "In defense of Joe Biden's switcheroo" and several columns attacking Bernie or Warren). After the debate, he wrote the almost infamous now "Joe Biden won the debate, and he wasn’t even on stage" where he argues that Biden won the night where it was Bernie and Warren because

Of course, Biden himself never says the part about undocumented immigrants, and he himself has generally equivocated (says people shouldn't die for being undocumented, but never answers if he'd cover them under medicare/medicaid). But it was unquestionably a talking point pushed by media people friendly to Biden and hostile to Sanders in the run up to the debates, and the shooter specifically mentions a similar talking point.
Gotcha, I generally don't pay attention to Rahm or Biden's surrogates so I didn't really know. I do vaguely remember hearing about that article. Anyhow thanks for the reply, we all know Biden is questionable to put it charitably on racial issues but it doesn't shock me that someone who's basically done with politics like Rahm (who went around recently saying how progressive he is for wanting to hold elites accountable or whatever) will carry his water and say the stuff that isn't supposed to be said out loud by Biden, at least until his next gaffe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

Terror Sweat posted:

Lol at the dude wearing a shirt with mlk quoted on it going to a pro-segregationists presidential rally
That guy has to be intentionally planted there lol.