Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you wish to win the Democratic primaries?
This poll is closed.
Joe Biden, the Inappropriate Toucher 18 1.46%
Bernie Sanders, the Hand Flailer 665 54.11%
Elizabeth Warren, the Plan Maker 319 25.96%
Kamala Harris, the Cop Lord 26 2.12%
Cory Booker, the Super Hero Wannabe 5 0.41%
Julian Castro, the Twin 5 0.41%
Kirsten Gillibrand, the Franken Killer 5 0.41%
Pete Buttigieg, the Troop Sociopath 17 1.38%
Robert Francis O'Rourke, the Fake Latino 3 0.24%
Jay Inslee, the Climate Alarmist 8 0.65%
Marianne Williamson, the Crystal Queen 86 7.00%
Tulsi Gabbard, the Muslim Hater 23 1.87%
Andrew Yang, the $1000 Fool 32 2.60%
Eric Swalwell, the Insurance Wife Guy 2 0.16%
Amy Klobuchar, the Comb Enthusiast 1 0.08%
Bill de Blasio, the NYPD Most Hated 4 0.33%
Tim Ryan, the Dope Face 3 0.24%
John Hickenlooper, the Also Ran 7 0.57%
Total: 1229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Delthalaz posted:

Now that it’s been revealed Biden is a paper tiger, I am extremely worried that Harris is going to lie and attack her way to the nomination. What’s a good angle of attack against her?

Part of the reason Harris did so well on stage is that no one was particularly gunning for her, since she hasn't been doing well enough to get singled out as a threat. She's likely going to face far more pressure in the second debate, and her competitors won't just let her rattle off her lines unchallenged anymore.

She does have weaknesses and vulnerabilities, and they're obvious enough that even Biden seems to know where to aim - he was beginning to line up an attack on her prosecutorial record right before she cut him off and blew him away.

Don't get me wrong, she's definitely a good speaker and I think she's cemented herself as a serious contender. But she also definitely benefited from the fact that no one was interested in calling out her record or challenging her lies, and that may not be the case in the next debate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

I feel like Williamson confuses people the same way Gabbard does.

Legitimately better than 95% of Democratic politicians, yet still utterly horrible. But a ton of people hear someone say the first, and immediately jump to the conclusion that this is the same as saying she's good, because the alternative would be to face the fact that the party is mostly a pack of greedy evil opportunists lusting for foreign blood.

It's a symptom of a larger problem in politics: many issues have become so dominated by lobbyists and establishments that some positions go almost completely unrepresented, because both parties' positions are basically whatever industry lobbyists tell them to have.

Politics is so dominated by those special interests that the only people who don't agree with them are the people who don't listen to anyone and actively buck authority. That occasionally leads to good policies but also tends to lead to bad policies, but some voters feel like they're left with little choice but to tolerate the bad policies because no one else has those good policies.

When I hear people praising Williamson for her strong anti-interventionist stances while making excuses for her vaccine skepticism, it doesn't really sound much different from when people praised Ron Paul for his strong anti-interventionist stances while making excuses for the fact that he wanted to repeal the Civil Rights Act. But there's not a whole lot of anti-interventionists on the national stage, and even fewer who make it one of their primary issues.

If there were decent candidates that were strongly anti-war, no one would be going for folks like Paul or Williamson. But when your stances have been ignored politically for so long, it's pretty tempting to make excuses for the failings of the one politician that shares your views, even if they're some pretty loving major failings.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Epicurius posted:

So, I'm wondering how much this busing thing will hurt Biden. Does anybody know if thereel are any recent polls about the attitude towards busing among the general population and the Democratic party?

I dunno, but the media and political establishment seem to hate it. Having your own staffers running to the media to swear they advised you against doing what you're currently doing is rarely a good place to be.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

mcmagic posted:

I mean the first part of what she's saying is right about squandering American influence though I would argue that the American electorate pretty much did that when they elected Trump president.

To me, it just sounds like "political capital" all over again - centrists inventing a secret currency that must be spent in order to do good things, so that any bad actions can be explained away as simply saving up their points to spend on good actions later. Prohibiting politicians from engaging in de-escalation and normalization with the boomers' most hated countries unless it's tied to a profitable transaction which benefits American foreign policy interests is not a good way to pursue real peace. I'm not thrilled about the Dems' habit of looking at a friendly hand extended toward a longtime enemy, and throwing a fit because we gave them something they wanted for free.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Craptacular! posted:

Keep in mind most people have not read long articles on strategic defense and the options in North Korea. If they did, they’ll see every retaliation has enormous cost to either us or the South Koreans and maybe Japan, and the most likely outcome is that we’re going to have to accept that the Kim dynasty can point nuclear warheads at the lower 48 and learn to live under that threat. Long detailed infopieces about the various options usually end with, “well maybe we should being back 1950s style nuclear drills to classrooms again.”

The candidates can’t actually say that, though. Most everyday Americans who don’t obsess over politics believe it’s unacceptable to surrender an untouchable mainland. Like a lot of privileges, it’s not one people let go of easily. So I’m not sure exactly what kind of statement you want from Warren, because “wake up and face to the shadow of annihilation” doesn’t really make people Pokémon Go to the polls.

The American people don't worry about England or France having nuclear missiles that can reach the "untouchable mainland". Long detailed infopieces about the options tend to exclude one major option: peace and normalization of relations with North Korea, based on a genuine desire for reducing hostilities rather than a stupid transactional relationship where even the most minor gesture needs to be paid for by a foreign policy concession.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

mcmagic posted:

Bernie is in some trouble.

How so? To me, it looks like a big improvement from a couple weeks ago when some polls were showing him 20 points behind the frontrunner.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

jesus christ is the whole "i wanna keep my private plan under m4a" because people just wanted to keep their doctor?

I wouldn't be surprised. People are so used to having to change doctors when they change insurance, or get hosed by out of network costs, that it doesn't immediately occur to them that there could be a better way. Especially since previous government healthcare initiatives, like Medicaid and Obamacare, have done little to address that problem.

The Muppets On PCP posted:

maybe it's because i live out in the sticks where almost everyone's primary physician is the nurse practitioner at the cvs two towns over because the regional hospital chain that bought up every medical facility in a 150 mile radius shut down all the outlying clinics years ago, but how the gently caress do people think this works where all of a sudden their current doctor disappears or something

is it like how most people think evolution works like pokemon or some poo poo

In the private insurance industry, each insurance company has a "network" of doctors that they've negotiated special deals with, and you only get full insurance coverage if you go to those doctors. If you're seen by a doctor that isn't in-network, you get reduced coverage and higher costs. And while Medicaid and Medicare don't have networks, doctors are allowed to refuse to accept all patients covered by those systems, and many do. So if you change insurance companies, the amount you pay at your preferred doctor may suddenly increase by several times, visits might stop counting toward deductibles and out-of-pocket maximums, and so on.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Polls don't really matter, so saying that the debates changed the poll results is not a defense of debates mattering.

Also that Iowa poll is weird, since it's showing that Biden's support held more or less steady (the most recent Iowa polls had him at 30 and 24 points) but Harris surged via taking Bernie Sanders and Buttigieg voters? That's an odd coalition if accurate. Guess we'll need to wait and see if it's an outlier or not.

40% of respondents didn't watch the night 2 debate. It's possible that Biden voters were disproportionately represented in that less-engaged cohort.

And engagement is still a clear problem, given that over 70% of respondents thought it was important to nominate someone who supports M4A, the Green New Deal, and free college, yet Biden is still topping the polls.

Helsing posted:

It's really not. The vast majority of voters do not think about politics through a coherent ideological lense.

Also let's be realistic, these polls are bad for Bernie and these polls matter because they shape expectations and reporting. At this point it's getting very difficult to imagine a plausible path to the nomination.

These polls have the same problem that every poll has: they're a poll of old white boomer sentiment, not of the Dem electorate at large. I'm sticking to my position that polling to see whether youth enthusiasm is up for 2020 is going to be a far more reliable way of determining the primary result than polling candidate support would be.

And the tweets make it even worse by leaving out the fact that even after the debates, "Undecided" is still beating everyone except Biden, with a whopping 21%.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Majorian posted:

This is such a weird thing for her to say. Is it just kind of a lawyer mental tic that she's exhibiting when she does this? "Oops, that thing that I said last week that everybody loved? Yeah, the opposite of that."

The trick is that she said the thing everyone loved on a nationally-watched debate, while her flip-flop is happening at minor local appearances in a heavily white state. And that's been the Harris campaign in a nutshell - loudly claim to be progressive in prominent appearances, and then drop her real stance at quiet local events to quietly reassure the centrist donors that the progressivism was all just vote-grabbing lies.

Majorian posted:

Well, but here's the thing: she didn't have to comment on busing at all after the debate. Vocally pulling a 180 on it is a very, very weird thing to do when it's not something you're running on. Sort of an...error that's...unforced, if you will.

It's similar to Hillary's public position and private position. She wants the nation at large to believe that she holds certain positions, but she also wants to send low-key signals to certain groups that she's not really committed to those issues. Just like how Warren officially supports M4A, but her repeated vagueness and wavering on the issue has convinced the health insurance lobby that she could easily be talked out of it if she wins.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Majorian posted:

If it were something like M4A (which Harris also backtracked on immediately after the debate, of course), I'd find that a lot more understandable. She's trying to attract voters who don't necessarily want M4A, as well as voters who do, after all, and that's a typical centrist thing to do. But who, exactly, is she trying to attract in signaling that she's not really committed to a federal busing mandate? I realize not all of the country wants that to happen, but how many of them are Democratic primary voters? Are there enough of them to cover for the voters she may lose because she pulled a 180 on this? The logic doesn't add up, as far as I can see, which is what makes it so weird.

Then again, of course, her team is made up of former Clinton advisors, so...I guess it does make sense after all.

Old racist whites, and moderate Dem consultants and think-tankers.

Whoops, I think I repeated myself there.

The idea behind pulling a 180 on this is that she's betting the vast majority of voters will never hear about her pulling a 180. Her pro-busing stance was expressed at a major televised national event which was getting news coverage for days afterward, while her anti-busing stance was a short remark to a reporter at an Iowa picnic. Presumably she's hoping that:
  1. rich old white donors and lanyards will be more politically engaged than poor young minorities, and
  2. that no one will dare to call her out on it

A is basically the question that will decide the primary, so I don't blame her for betting big on that one. B is still up in the air, though - the media seems to be happy to bring up that she flipped on the issue, but they're not really pushing hard on it, they're just doing it to provoke responses from both campaigns in order to keep the Biden-Harris showdown in the news. So they're not picking holes in her response to the claims, which is absolute loving nonsense.
https://twitter.com/chelsea_janes/status/1146873569915428864

And while Biden has jumped on the opportunity to point out that her position basically matched his, he sandwiched his callout between about half a dozen gaffes, so he's completely failed to get it into the headlines.
https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1147093735580348416

Meanwhile, the other big-name candidates are largely staying quiet or taking a neutral stance. For instance, Warren and the Buttigieg campaign have both declared that they're not getting involved, and that all this is just negative campaign tactics that shouldn't have any place in a primary campaign.
https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1147020029516492800
https://twitter.com/Lis_Smith/status/1146792353467949056

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

yronic heroism posted:

There’s pretty much no reason not to have federally mandated busing now if you believe it was needed in the past. We still have hella de facto segregation, so if it’s a real policy debate what is every candidate’s position?

Biden's position, apparently, is that busing is long in the past and us young'uns don't even know what it was about.
https://twitter.com/IsaacDovere/status/1147195725865992194

:allears:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Regarding the Warren plan, this is a good time to remember that when someone promises a progressive-sounding plan, it's best to read past the headline and dig down into how they actually plan to accomplish that. For example, the entire primary field is making lofty promises to reduce carbon emissions by huge amounts, but when you dig into the details most of their plans are just "subsidies and tax incentives to oil companies".

So Warren is promising to reduce rents by 10%. Sounds great. But how is she planning to do so? As the candidate who's famous for her detailed policy plans, surely She's Got A Plan For That, right?

Well, her press release isn't very detailed at all. However, it links to an independent analysis of her plan that she had commissioned. The wonkery is pretty thick, so I'm just gonna go ahead and quote the basic summary:

quote:

The American Housing Economic and Mobility Act provides an average of $50 billion per annum to alleviate the shortage of affordable housing units. This is done through funds to incent localities to ease regulations and other building restrictions, provide down-payment assistance, and reduce the burden on households with negative equity in their homes.

How do these incentives work? Well, it breaks that down just a little later:

quote:

Most significantly, the funds are to be used to boost the Housing Trust Fund and Capital Magnet Funds. The HTF and CMF were established by the 2008 Housing Economic and Recovery Act, but funding began only a few years ago.
The American Housing and Economic Mobility Act does not change current law with regard to how the HTF and CMF operate. Under current law, at least 70% of CMF funds must be used to support affordable housing projects, and no more than 10% of an affordable housing project’s costs can come from the CMF.
For those who don't read "wonk", what that means is that her plan will largely focus on putting money into funds that are used to provide grants to encourage private developers to build affordable housing. And if that doesn't sound encouraging, don't worry - the independent analysis also contains a prediction of the plan's total impact!

quote:

This will still leave a shortfall in affordable housing. But market forces should work to slowly and steadily increase supply. This is particularly true if the American Housing and Economic Mobility Act eases regulatory restrictions on affordable homebuilding as anticipated. By the end of the 10-year horizon, affordable housing supply should be approximately equal to demand. Since the legislation significantly increases housing supply, it will have the added benefit of improving housing affordability, particularly for affordable rental homes. Without the legislation, rents are expected to increase by more than 4% per annum. With the legislation, rent growth will be closer to 3% per annum.
So, basically, the entire plan for reducing rates boils down to "deregulate housing and provide subsidies to private real estate developers, and surely market forces will do the rest". Yeah, I'm not gonna hold my breath.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Okay, I'm officially putting an end to talk in this thread about who you'll vote for in the general election. Yes, I know that each and every one of the thread regulars have primary candidates that they really hate. But nothing seems to cause more meltdowns here than talking about what happens after the primary, which is kind of out of scope for this thread anyway.

You can have all the nightmares you want about what happens if it ends up being your least favorite candidate vs Trump, but don't talk about them here or you're going to cat jail. Talk about it in some other thread, like this one.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

twodot posted:

Does what will a candidate do after the 2020 Primary election to deal with the Senate fall into this rule or not? Like I think all of Sanders' plausible strategies involve the 2022 election, which feels in scope in terms of "What can Sanders, a candidate for President, even do?", but possibly out of scope for how people should be making choices in 2020.

I'd say that "what will this candidate do if they become president" is fine, but talking about what'll happen during the 2020 general election is off-limits, and talking about what they might do during the 2022 or 2024 elections is so clearly premature that you probably should take a step back and realize you've been baited into a derail in order to distract you from hammering someone who's claiming it literally doesn't matter at all who wins in 2020.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

Okay so for actually stating "I am or am not voting for this or that person," fine. I have to agree it's kind of bitchy to do that and doesn't really foster discussion, despite definitely being guilty of this myself.

But especially in the second post it seems you're banning all discussion of the general, which is going to end up being a problem IMO:

The protest voting thread really isn't an appropriate place to talk about what some primary candidate will do in the general, any more than this one is - rather less, in fact. And talking about it in USPOL will probably earn a (deserved) "take it to the primary thread" from fool_of_sound as well, so that's out. It would be one thing if the topic itself was fundamentally idiotic but speculating about what a particular candidate might or might not do in the general election is important to primary chat since it will influence perceptions of electability, among other reasons. Like for example it seems you've banned discussing whether a candidate will pivot to the right after the primary, right? But that seems totally germane for this thread because it is relevant to the primary, even if it's not happening between now and next July.

I mean, talking about what primary candidates will do in the general election is... sort of obvious? By which I mean it's a thing that will just happen naturally. It would be like if we had a thread about cooking and then made a thread rule that mentioning which foods you enjoy is punishable by a three-day probation. And not everybody is going to see your post or re-read the OP either, so it really seems like you've set up some people up for three-day probations for doing something that really on the face of it shouldn't be a big deal.

I understand the reasons for it and I could see this as something we do for a bit, maybe until the second or third debate, but the closer we get to next July the more this rule is going to drag the discussion and serve as a honeypot for probations.

I'm not going to outright ban discussion about what specific candidates might specifically do during the general, but I also don't want to see it become the same thing as the electability debate in the mainstream media where people constantly raise the specter of "electability" solely as a vague excuse for why no one but their chosen candidate is acceptable. And in general, it's a little early to be talking about what candidates' general election plans are when the convention is still more than a year away.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
No more talking about who you are or aren't willing to vote for in the general.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Midgetskydiver posted:

There is a stark difference between knowingly saying something is false, and placing a little too much faith in one's own family members being correct about lineage. Her siblings and other family members have stated that they had a relative who was socially ostracized because everyone thought she had native blood. Turns out that was probably not the case but the belief did cause a rift in her family that was real. Warren herself mentions that the relative essentially had to elope in order to get married.

All this to say, as an Oklahoman myself, this sort of thing is very common. Family genealogies in places like Oklahoma from 1880-1960 were extremely janky because there weren't really any strong social institutions to keep detailed family records. This is true all across America in the 19th century (most American genealogies are extremely well kept once you get back to Europe, record keeping in the US was poo poo due to the Catholic Church, the main authority on family records, being a minority religious institution). Plenty of people in OK believe they have native ancestry when they don't, and not all of them are racist liars- some people just genuinely don't know and have gone through situations like Warren where the assumption of native blood wasn't a ploy to get ahead, it was an understandable mistake.

Having a native ancestor several generations ago does not make you native unless you're going by the one-drop rule, which is extremely problematic for a variety of reasons. Not only because of blood quantum issues, but also because many actual implementations of the one-drop rule specifically did not apply to people who claimed native ancestry, because so many prominent Southern families had long claimed descent from famous Native Americans.

For example, Virginia's Racial Integrity Act, which imposed a one-drop rule as part of an effort to impose "racial purity" for eugenics reasons, had a clause typically called the "Pocahontas Exception" that said whites with a Native ancestor a few generations back would still count as white. This was because basically the entire Virginian aristocracy claimed to be descended in some way from Pocahontas*, and therefore would have been classified as "non-white" if not for that exception.

*The claims of descent from Pocahontas were, in fact, a point of enormous pride for Virginian aristocrats. Not only was she the daughter of a major chief (and therefore an "Indian princess"), but her only grandchild had married a wealthy British aristocrat who was one of the early settlers of Virginia. As such, descent from Pocahontas was considered a sign of top pedigree, as it meant being a descendant of Native "royalty", British aristocracy, and one of the richest and most influential families in the early days of the Virginia colony.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

lol 10% MOE

The raw numbers are even funnier.
  • Total sample, 1500 people.
  • 70%, or 1050 people, were registered voters.
  • Those 1050 people were asked if they voted in the 2016 primaries.
  • 36% of them said they voted in the Dem primary. Those 378 people were asked who they voted for in the 2016 Dem primary
  • 30% of them, or 113 people, said they voted for Sanders

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Iamgoofball posted:

hey can i ask why y'all are playing right into the GOP's hands by sticking to the issue they very specifically exploited to cause division within the ranks here on the left? like, come on, it's obvious

whether warren considers herself native american and whether it's true or not doesn't loving matter right now, or ever really

worry about that poo poo if she makes it to the debate against trump because nobody on the left is going to bother pulling that card unless they're trying to throw things in favor of the repubs

by the way, parroting the GOP's obvious as gently caress hitpiece about warren is really dumb so stop doing it thanks

Maybe people have genuine personal opinions on issues relating to minority identity, as well as the way in which whites tend to co-opt elements of that identity for their own satisfaction while leaving the actual holders of those identities in the dust? Maybe people genuinely don't like Warren's snubs of the Native American community - not because "it matters" or because they think it's a decisive issue in the election, but because they are personally unhappy with her stances, actions, and positions?

Yes, the issue is being exploited to cause division in the ranks. That's because it's a real issue that really does cause division in the ranks. It'd be silly for the enemy to ignore it - but it'd also be silly for us to dismiss it solely because the enemy is repeating it too.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Are there any ways to integrate schools other than busing

Technically, busing didn't work all that well either. It was too limited - white families simply fled districts with significant black populations, and migrated to suburbs in mostly-white districts. Redlining and other housing segregation tactics, as well as economic disparities between racial groups, effectively prevented black families from following them.

Since desegregation plans rarely crossed district boundaries, and the Supreme Court held that they couldn't be forced to do so, busing was essentially rendered moot by white flight.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Some real interesting crosstabs on that answer. Sanders does better among the poor than among the rich, while Warren does worst among the poor and gets way more support from the rich, who appear to love her policies far more than those of any other candidate.

It increasingly seems like all but two groups think that Sanders and Warren are the same policy-wise. And the two groups who feel they're different are internet socialists and the comfortably wealthy, two groups that don't have much in common other than their strong focus on the class issues that Sanders and Warren are both largely defined by.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Epicurius posted:

So, question about the Sanders student loan debt plan? I get that Sanders wants the government to pay off all outstanding student loan debt. But then what happens going forward? He's said (and this is from an article by him in Fortune Magazine).

https://fortune.com/2019/07/09/bernie-sanders-cancel-student-debt/

While that's nice for the people attending, all those places are pretty full up already, so most students are still going to have to pay for their education, and large portions of that will also likely be debt financed. So what happens down the line with that debt? Has he said anything about that?

It took me a whopping minute and a half to find the plan. Some of the measures proposed include:
  • cutting student loan interest rates in half, and imposing a hard cap on student loan interest rates
  • giving student debt holders the ability to refinance their loans at the current interest rates at any time
  • bans the federal government from making a profit off student loans
  • requires the states to cover the cost of degrees for low-income students, even if they don't attend public schools
  • provides federal matching dollars to any additional spending states put toward reducing the cost of college
  • expands the work-study program and a number of other financial aid programs for low-income students, allowing those programs to cover several million more people

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Faustian Bargain posted:

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2019/07/09/never-trumpers-2020-democrats-227255

Sorry if this has been talked about, but how can someone live so far up their own rear end to argue "if you want to win, just put up a conservative-light and I'll totally pinky-promise to not vote for Trump"?

Sounds like they are shook.

It's because they're used to being catered to by the GOP, and being able to use their influence to steer the direction of the party. Remember when Rush Limbaugh, a loving talk show host, managed to force the head of the RNC to publicly apologize for suggesting he wasn't a GOP leader? The people who write books like "Do-Gooders: How Liberals Hurt Those They Claim to Help (and the Rest of Us)" and "Useful Idiots: How Liberals Got it Wrong in the Cold War and Still Blame America First" have been steering American politics for decades, and they've developed a sense of entitlement around that power.

Now, though, they realize that Trump absolutely does not give a gently caress what they say. The frothing mobs they've manipulated and directed for so long have broken the leash and are rampaging without concern for their strategies and schemes. And they're well aware that there's not much chance of him being primaried. However, they think the Dem leadership might be open to handing them the reins, or at least restraining themselves into ineffectiveness with a do-nothing president cast in the mold of the Obama administration.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Luckyellow posted:

So I have to ask again, with ACA potentially being struck down by the court, does that mean almost all of the candidates who was promising Obamacare V.2 is now out of luck? Is the individual mandate the key part to make their plan constitutional?

That's going to depend entirely on what exactly the Supreme Court ends up saying. And it's hard to reasonably predict what the court might say, given the utter clusterfuck that ACA-related court cases have become, as well as the fact that the current Court does whatever the gently caress they want and don't give a poo poo about even keeping their own rulings internally consistent. Even with the clear conservative majority, it's hard to guess exactly what they'll do or exactly what grounds they'll rule on.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Shear Modulus posted:

credit scores are computed however the company computing the scores feels like computing it

she basically wants the credit score companies to include rent payments if they arent, with the idea that since poor people dont have credit cards or mortgages the credit score companies dont bother keeping a file on them so nobody wants to loan them money

its a silly idea because the reason that poor people have bad or no credit scores is because they are poor, which is reflected by them not being able to get a mortgage, or having to carry credit card debt to live. having no money is going to also be reflected in someone's rent or utility bills

Not to worry, she also proposed giving black families down-payment assistance so that they could more easily get mortgages!

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Charlz Guybon posted:

I guess he noticed he's drawing about zero African American support

https://twitter.com/PeteButtigieg/status/1149265718816497664

Wow, Mayor Pete must be desperate. There's actual policy proposals in this, buried beneath all the fluff (SO MUCH fluff). Some of them are even left of center and not based entirely on subsidizing the free market!

The criminal justice reform part in particular is pretty comprehensive. There's only one thing it's missing: the part where it convinces us that the guy who fought to protect racists in his own city's police force can be trusted to crack down on racist police departments nationwide. Dude can't comment on a cop shooting an unarmed man, and he thinks anyone's gonna believe him when he says he'll ban private prisons and abolish the death penalty?

Well, no, two things it's missing. It doesn't abolish cash bail, seeking instead to merely lower bail amounts. That's our Buttigieg!

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Biden did a foreign policy speech today, in which he claimed credit for the defeat of ISIS and bravely promised to end our forever war in Afghanistan by bringing most (but not all) of the troops home. Truly a profile in political courage.

https://mobile.twitter.com/mikememoli/status/1149371330195836930
https://mobile.twitter.com/chrisdonato04/status/1149364358159450117
https://mobile.twitter.com/AlexWardVox/status/1149303854384766987
https://mobile.twitter.com/MariannaNBCNews/status/1149366797491216385

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
It seems like Joe's attempts to tie himself to the Obama administration aren't insulating him from attacks after all. In fact, they're now drawing in attacks, as protesters demand he answer for the sins of the Obama administration.

https://twitter.com/ericbradner/status/1149779380152995843

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Ogmius815 posted:

The situation is different because campaigns aren’t for-profit businesses. People are there because they want to be, not because they’re desperate to go on living. Thus, exploitation is of less concern.

I'm pretty sure political campaigns are more for-profit than most actual for-profit businesses are, even if the flow of money into the owner's pocket is a bit more indirect. Private business usually at least pretends to be about more than just garnering power and profits for the owner, but that's the entire point of a political campaign.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

generic one posted:

Lemme ask you this: Do you understand that there is a difference between a criminal and a civil offense?

Sure. But to bring it back to what started this whole topic of conversation, there's a significant difference between "legalize 11 million" and "revert illegal immigration to being a civil offense rather than a criminal one" - a difference that she apparently doesn't see.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

twodot posted:

The whole contention is whether people will be treated like criminals, if you insist on lasering on minutiae that has nothing to do with how people will be treated, you're the one being obtuse regarding what the actual conversation is.

There's a lot of points of contention, because there are a lot of lovely things about US immigration policy and treatment of immigrants. When someone zeroes in on just one particular detail - be it "children in cages", "path to citizenship", or "civil lawbreaking vs criminal lawbreaking" - it's usually as a way to avoid talking about the larger issues.

For example, Section 1325 certainly isn't great, but it played no role in whatsoever in some of our biggest abuses of immigrants, such as the mass deportations of Mexicans and Mexican-Americans in the 1930s and the 1950s, and getting rid of it won't stop Trump from mass-deporting people simply for being here illegally.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Ogmius815 posted:

I hasten to clarify that by “Bernie people” I meant Bernie supporters on this forum, not Bernie himself.

I have no idea what the gently caress you're talking about, but I'm also absolutely not interested at all in dragging up obscure forums grudges about political threads three years ago, so let's go ahead and drop this. If you have a point, make it without making vague references to what the forums Bernie bros may have posted way back in 2016.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

a.lo posted:

I still don’t know what Warren has done to mark a “good candidate” I guess she has been in Bill Maher more than other candidates (Cory Booker???)?

The bar for "good candidate" is pretty low right now. Half the field are centrism elementals, and Buttigieg and Booker have both told minority-rights advocates in recent weeks that they straight-up don't want the votes of civil rights activists.

Only a couple of the candidates are willing to tell the left that progressive priorities matter and should be considered, and even though at least some of those candidates are definitely lying, that's still less than 25% of the field who care about leftist support enough to even pretend to hear what they have to say.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

What about having a degree in English makes me more qualified to do a basic data entry job

Or an entry level assistant manager position

The fact that there's five openings in the data entry department and two hundred people applying for them, and the pay can't be lowered any further because it's already at local minimum wage with no benefits, so they're just applying all sorts of barely-applicable measures in order to whittle down the applicant pool to something small enough that they can pretend they're actually doing real decision-making in order to satisfy bosses who demand only the best of the best disposable worker drones.

The degree requirements are just yet another symptom of our increasingly dysfunctional economy and the slow progressive breakdown of the key assumptions it relies on. In an economy that's no longer able to employ everyone, our political classes have attempted to avoid that uncomfortable fact by focusing more and more on dividing American workers into castes, which tend to correlate with class but aren't completely tied to it. That way, unemployment is concentrated into a distinct group, and they can then prevent most unrest from that group by distracting them with offers of "access" and "opportunity" to move into the more employable castes. Still, that only works for so long, and the system is starting to fray at the seams as the underlying problem continues to worsen.

Ultimately, it's not really about degrees. It's about an economy that keeps needing fewer and fewer workers to do real work, and the fact that capitalism desperately needs workers to believe that unemployment is the fault of the unemployed workers rather than the fault of the capitalist system.

Z. Autobahn posted:

I feel like this is much harder to do in the context of a job interview than a college admissions process

https://mobile.twitter.com/bpopken/status/1054350949739827202

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
So remember Warren's "no big donors during the primary" pledge? Turns out it depends on how you define "no" and "pledge". Her campaign turned to a big donor to spend $100k to buy the DNC's voter files for her, and they're saying it's not a breach of the pledge because the money was solicited by her campaign rather than by her personally, because the money wasn't solicited at a fundraising event, and because no one-on-one time between Warren and the donor was set up in exchange for the donation.

https://twitter.com/rubycramer/status/1150822033607012352

The campaign's argument appears to live up to the exact text of Warren's original no-big-donors pledge, which only prohibits Warren herself from devoting disproportionate time to soliciting big donors. But I don't think that argument is going to satisfy the people who were attracted by media coverage of her pledge, which often presented it as a blanket refusal of big money. If anything, it's just going to draw attention to the fact that it's not as much of a "small donors only" policy as was commonly believed.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Also, it looks like Sanders has released a new policy (or at least one I haven't heard of before) - establishing a fund to allow state and local governments to buy up hospitals that are being shut down, so that they can be operated as public services and continue to serve regions that are being deprived of hospital service in the current wave of hospital-industry consolidation. Worth noting is that he didn't announce this policy in a press release or a Medium post, he announced in person at a rally to save a hospital that's being shut down and sold off to real estate investors.

https://twitter.com/adamkelsey/status/1150836072735264772

https://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2019/07/15/bernie-sanders-hahnemann-university-hospital-rally-center-city/

quote:

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) – Democratic presidential candidate Bernie Sanders joined in a big rally Monday to protest the closure of Hahnemann University Hospital. The Vermont senator was with hundreds of supporters outside of the hospital on Monday afternoon.

“It’s not a question of economics, it’s a question of basic human morality,” Sanders said.

Last month, the hospital announced plans to shut down in September, citing financial issues.

Sanders says health care should be a guaranteed right for all Americans and he used the hospital’s closure to drive home that point.

“The issue that brings us here today is not complicated. At a time when our country faces a major health care crisis, when 80 million Americans are either uninsured or underinsured, including tens of thousands of people here in the Philadelphia area, we should be moving, we must be moving forward to guarantee health care to all the people as a right,” the presidential candidate said.

Sanders took aim at Joel Freedman, the hospital CEO and owner.

“We’re sending a very loud and clear message to Mr. Joel Freedman, the investment banker from Los Angeles, and that message is as simple as one can imagine and that is do not shut down this hospital,” Sander said to a roaring crowd. “Work with local officials, work with the unions and the people of this city and keep this hospital open.”

Sanders added his voice to a growing chorus of those condemning Hahnemann University Hospital’s closure.

“It’s insane,” Sanders said in an exclusive interview with CBS3 prior to the rally. “If you look at this thing objectively and you say that in the midst of a health care crisis, a hospital is being converted into a real estate opportunity in order to make some wealthy guy even more money, ignoring the health care needs of thousands of people, that is pretty crazy.”

Hahnemann already shut down its maternity ward over the weekend and plans to close the entire facility by early September. However, Gov. Tom Wolf and Philadelphia city leaders announced Monday it secured $15 million in tax dollars for any new medical provider that plans to open at Hahnemann. The money would be used to fill in any gaps.

“Let’s make it clear — today the eyes of the nation are on Hahnemann Hospital right now,” Philadelphia City Councilwoman Helen Gym said.

Hahnemann’s nurses union believes that tax money is a good start but insists it is not enough. The union also wants lawmakers to push the hospital’s owners to sell the facility to a medical nonprofit.

“We do not want this to shut down,” nurses union president Maureen May said.

Sanders says the hospital is among 100 other medical facilities that have closed since 2010. He told supporters at the rally he wants to create a $20 billion emergency fund to help states and communities take over hospitals that are in financial distress.

More than 2,000 jobs are predicted to be lost when the hospital shuts down in early September.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
The funniest part is that while Biden is up there telling seniors how Medicare For All will kill cancer patients, the Biden Cancer Initiative is shutting down as a direct result of Biden's presidential campaign.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ZekeJMiller/status/1150830684082249728

The organization itself says that it simply couldn't keep the attention of fundraisers, corporations, or political organizations without Biden's direct involvement, and therefore the organization has seen its progress grind to a halt after Biden stepped down to run for president. Every reporter that's noticed the shutdown, however, also seemed to think that it might have had something to do with ethics concerns for a possible Biden presidency, given the organization's close ties to corporate interests.

Either way, it cracks me up that the presidential candidate who's promising to cure cancer has caused the collapse of their own anti-cancer initiative by abandoning it to run for president.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Why did you post an edited, fake tweet in this thread?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

RuanGacho posted:

Does anyone know why Democrats are having to pay democrats for voter data or is rent seeking just the norm--- I know what the answer is gently caress these idiots

It's the Democratic Party leeching resources from their own candidates in order to support party leadership organizations. In addition to the six-digit fee, getting access to the voter data also requires contractually agreeing to engage in a whole bunch of fundraising activities to benefit the DNC.

quote:

In addition to the $175,000 price tag on the voter file, according to a copy of the agreement obtained by BuzzFeed News, candidates who purchase the voter file must also agree to appear at one or more DNC fundraising events every three months during the duration of their bid for the nomination. At each fundraising-event appearance — dubbed "signature event(s)" in the term sheet — candidates will also be asked to record a short video in support of the DNC.

Campaigns must also sign at least one DNC fundraising email every three months, with donations split evenly between the campaign and the DNC. Separate from the emails to the DNC’s list, campaigns will also participate in a partywide fundraising day, slated for Aug. 7, 2019, sending an email to their own list. Those donations, too, will be split equally.

According to the term sheet, candidates who use the voter file will continue raising money for the party even after they drop out of the race, sending three additional emails to the DNC list before Election Day in 2020.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Ruminahui posted:

Why.

Why are numbers fuckstein so utterly broken.

It's not real. It's a story, just like the stories we tell in cover letters about how our entry-level garbage jobs changed our lives or whatever. That's what they're taught to do from a young age. They learn how to convert every single experience they've ever had into a story of life-changing importance that can be used on a college admissions essay or something, and by the time they're done with their elite education and don't need to pretend they're earning it with merit anymore, the behavior is baked too deep into their brains to turn off.

I looked up the quote (turns out his book is readable for free online in Google Books) to get some context, and that's definitely the kind of thing he's doing there: crafting bullshit for an audience. He presents his work at McKinsey not as a job, but as just another chapter in his education and personal progression. He claims he chose McKinsey not because it fit his skills and education, but because after graduating with honors from Oxford he knew he had to get out of his cloistered elite bubble and learn about the hard, gritty real world beyond the cozy confines of university classrooms.

Similarly, when he left McKinsey, he claims it wasn't because he hated spending 80-hour weeks crunching grocery store price data to optimize sale price timing. Instead, he claims that it's because he had just been there to learn, and now that he felt he had learned all they could teach him, it was time to graduate from the School of McKinsey and find a worthy cause to dedicate his life to...

...and then he completely abandons that whole "sense of purpose" storyline as he shifts gears to talk about how he realized that as a member of the upper class, it's his responsibility to join the military like the Kennedies and Bushes did. No talk of cause or purpose here - he's very clear that the reason he joined the reserves was so it could be just a temporary thing, a way to rack up a couple years of military service without being a career officer.