Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you wish to win the Democratic primaries?
This poll is closed.
Joe Biden, the Inappropriate Toucher 18 1.46%
Bernie Sanders, the Hand Flailer 665 54.11%
Elizabeth Warren, the Plan Maker 319 25.96%
Kamala Harris, the Cop Lord 26 2.12%
Cory Booker, the Super Hero Wannabe 5 0.41%
Julian Castro, the Twin 5 0.41%
Kirsten Gillibrand, the Franken Killer 5 0.41%
Pete Buttigieg, the Troop Sociopath 17 1.38%
Robert Francis O'Rourke, the Fake Latino 3 0.24%
Jay Inslee, the Climate Alarmist 8 0.65%
Marianne Williamson, the Crystal Queen 86 7.00%
Tulsi Gabbard, the Muslim Hater 23 1.87%
Andrew Yang, the $1000 Fool 32 2.60%
Eric Swalwell, the Insurance Wife Guy 2 0.16%
Amy Klobuchar, the Comb Enthusiast 1 0.08%
Bill de Blasio, the NYPD Most Hated 4 0.33%
Tim Ryan, the Dope Face 3 0.24%
John Hickenlooper, the Also Ran 7 0.57%
Total: 1229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

This is a face that says "your twitter is demeaning both of us"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Also when did "electoralism" become pejorative

August 1914 :ussr:

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Typo posted:

as someone who was much more bullish on biden's chances than almost everyone else itt Biden is currently on track to poll 4/5th by Jan 2020

the actual policy questions from the 1970s could be overcame, the problem is that Biden is clearly no longer the Biden who fought Paul Ryan in 2012. It's clear the dude is starting to have senior moments and is not there 100% of the time anymore. Almost every actual voter in the D base care the most about taking down TRUMP and wants a fighter to go in there and rip the guy's face off, the Biden of 2012 certainly looked to be that person but the Biden of 2020 is Mr.Senile and nobody would pick him to go after Trump instead of <insert candidate>.

I'm sure his word mix ups and slurring are the product of a decaying brain but I can't help but think the significant amount of work he's had done on his face is physically effecting his ability to annunciation words.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Pembroke Fuse posted:

Capitalist interests are often at odds with each other and treating the capitalist class as a monolith is ahistorical and not particularly coherent (even from a purely Marxist perspective, capitalism is supposed to be "anarchic" after all). Being a part of a class doesn't grant you a revelatory understanding of what is and isn't profitable and what does and does not satisfy your class interests in the short or long term (i.e. CEO as long-term manager vs. CEO as resource plunderer). Class-consciousness, in the sense of knowing you're part of a class or what your class interests actually are, is neither guaranteed nor automatic. Capitalists are just as likely to fall for bad narratives and their own propaganda as anyone else.

That said, while there's a good chance that some capitalists would see the personal benefits of M4A... the overwhelming narrative around M4A is that it's anti-capitalist, and therefore has the "slippery slope" quality of leading to further democratization of resources (and additional taxes). That's the part around which capitalists would build their opposition to M4A (even if taxes going up on them specifically isn't true).

Capitalists don't require a "revelatory" [sic] understanding of profit to recognize the obvious benefits of coordinating to defend their class interest, which is exactly what opposition to Medicare for All entails. We're talking about a comparatively small group with lower coordination costs and extremely strong material incentives, attended by armies of accountants, lawyer and lobbyists. And this doesn't even begin to address the fact that the rich have numerous institutions dedicated more or less exclusively to transmitting a sense of class consciousness from one generation to the next. Capitalists and workers don't just randomly adopt "narratives" that have no connection to their lived experiences or economic motivations and there is a clear and obvious connection between your worldview and your economic situation. You don't even need Marx to understand this. Adam Smith famously describes how "Masters are always and every where in a sort of tacit, but constant and uniform combination, not to raise the wages of labour above their actual rate".

Mellow Seas posted:

Proponents of M4A should say it’s good for businesses because that will make the policy seem Smart and Sober and Responsible to a certain type of voter, and the mechanism by which it could hypothetically benefit businesses (lower costs) is easy to explain and understand. And if business owners and corporations say they don’t actually want it, just double down and repeat that it’s good for them anyway.

That’s Republican-style messaging: if you can make an argument for something, do so, whether it’s “true” or not. Except instead of Evil Republican poo poo, this would be in the service of the greatest American reform in 70+ years.

It's loving insane to think you can reverse engineer the strategies of a party run by white supremacist oligarchs and merely apply the same tactics to fight for a completely different political agenda. All you're doing is giving your leaders the necessary tools to break their promises. All you're doing is taking the most politically active and conscious part of your own coalition and constantly telling them to internalize the beliefs and thoughts of the enemy.

Seriously, how do you not get that what you're describing has been the mainstream Democratic approach for decades? You're more or less describing the ideology of the New Democrats and then of the Obama administration.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Polls don't really matter, so saying that the debates changed the poll results is not a defense of debates mattering.

Also that Iowa poll is weird, since it's showing that Biden's support held more or less steady (the most recent Iowa polls had him at 30 and 24 points) but Harris surged via taking Bernie Sanders and Buttigieg voters? That's an odd coalition if accurate. Guess we'll need to wait and see if it's an outlier or not.

It's really not. The vast majority of voters do not think about politics through a coherent ideological lense.

Also let's be realistic, these polls are bad for Bernie and these polls matter because they shape expectations and reporting. At this point it's getting very difficult to imagine a plausible path to the nomination.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Eh, not really. There are still plenty of plausible paths for Bernie. They just involve two of the following three things happening:

1) Biden has to keep stepping on his own dick (highly likely)

2) Kamala Harris has to collapse somehow (moderately to reasonably likely, definitely plausible)

3) Warren's support has to drop down (another DNA test style flub could do this easily)

Any two of those happen and Bernie has a decent chance of gaining enough support that he moves into the lead. #2 and #3 aren't wildly likely but neither is impossible and the chance of one or the other happening is decent.

EDIT: oh yeah or 4) unusually high pro bernie youth turnout

My concern is that it isn't enough for him to finish with the most delegates, he needs an outright majority, and that is much more difficult given present circumstances.

The big hope, in my opinion, is that these polls are more or less completely inaccurate (not hard to believe, since public polling mostly exists to garner views or to shape expectations) and Sanders' army of volunteers demonstrates that ground game really can be effective.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

The primary is far from over and we need to remember that going forward Harris will start to face a lot more scrutiny. Much like with Biden this is a painful but necessary part of the process: somebody has to actually go negative on Harris and start using her record against her. Arguably it is good that Biden is fading so fast that the real contest can begin, the one that pits woke washed neoliberal authoritarians against an insurgent social democratic grassroots movement. After all, it won't be enough for Bernie to win, he has to actually start salting the earth for future neoliberal candidates. The stretch goal here needs to be that whatever the outcome of the primary, the path to power for the Hillary and Biden style candidates is cut off permanently.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Majorian posted:

It helps that Biden still has enough time and resources to start hitting back at Harris. I think he's doomed, but hopefully he'll take her down with him.

At some point the left of the party needs to find a way to confidently criticize the Clinton/Harris/Booker approach of woke washing neoliberalism through superficial appeals to diversity. That's not a critique you can wait on Biden to make for you. The neoliberals actually have to be defeated in open battle by a strongly articulated left-wing critique. That's a process that will take multiple cycles but the current direction of politics is toward ever greater polarization so the Bernie bros arguably should be able to lean into that and start driving all kinds of wedges into the centrist voting blocs, provided they're willing to risk burning down the party if the centrists won't cede ground.

Frankly the ideal spokesperson for this would be someone like AOC, and if she continues to avoid getting her hands dirty during the primary I'd say that is a serious warning sign that she's not the great new hope everyone thought she was.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

Both Bernie and Warren are going until March at least.

Under a scenario where it is Sanders vs. Harris I think that there is most likely a juicy cabinet position with Warren's name on it if she is willing to stay in the race as long as possible.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

This is an interesting statistic:

quote:

Bernie Sanders’ campaign says more of his donors work for Walmart than any other company
Hayley Peterson, Business Insider US

--Walmart was the top employer of donors to Sen. Bernie Sanders‘ presidential campaign during the second fundraising quarter of the year, Sanders’ campaign said Tuesday.

--The campaign said it raised $18 million during the quarter.

--Other leading employers of Sanders’ donors included Amazon, Starbucks, Target, and the US Postal Service, the campaign said.

Sen. Bernie Sanders’ attacks against Walmart may be helping fundraising efforts for his presidential campaign.

Sanders’ campaign said Tuesday that it raised $18 million during the second fundraising quarter of the year, and that Walmart was the top employer of his donors for the period.

Other leading employers of Sanders’ donors included Amazon, Starbucks, Target, and the US Postal Service. More than 99% of donations were $100 or less, according to the campaign.

Sanders’ campaign said the data indicates that support for the Vermont senator – who has been an outspoken critic of Walmart, Amazon, and other large corporations – is coming from “working people.”

“While other candidates court big money at fancy fundraisers, this campaign is supported by teachers, retail workers, and nurses who are putting what little money they have behind the one candidate who can bring about the transformative change this country needs,” Sanders’ campaign manager Faiz Shakir said in a statement.

It’s also possible that these statistics are simply a reflection of the general US population, as Walmart and Amazon are the top private employers in the US.

Read more: Bernie Sanders accuses Walmart of paying ‘starvation wages,’ attacks the CEO’s pay, and praises Amazon

Sanders has called on Walmart to raise its starting wages to $15 per hour. He attended Walmart’s annual shareholders’ meeting in June and accused the company of paying “starvation wages ” that “are so low that many of these employees are forced to rely on government programs like food stamps, Medicaid, and public housing in order to survive.”

He also attacked Walmart CEO Doug McMillon’s compensation, which reached nearly $24 million last year.

“Frankly, the American people are sick and tired of subsidizing the greed of some of the largest and most profitable corporations in this country,” Sanders said at the meeting.

Walmart last year raised its starting wages to $11 an hour.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Oh Snapple! posted:

Well yeah, sticking to something requires the kind of conviction she's not interested in.

It seems like a conscious strategy though, publicly declaring yourself in favour of doing something when all the cameras are rolling and then quietly walking it back the next day on the assumption nobody who matters will call you out on it. It feels a lot more cynical than just feeling the need to please a given audience in the moment.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Midgetskydiver posted:

There is a stark difference between knowingly saying something is false, and placing a little too much faith in one's own family members being correct about lineage. Her siblings and other family members have stated that they had a relative who was socially ostracized because everyone thought she had native blood. Turns out that was probably not the case but the belief did cause a rift in her family that was real. Warren herself mentions that the relative essentially had to elope in order to get married.

All this to say, as an Oklahoman myself, this sort of thing is very common. Family genealogies in places like Oklahoma from 1880-1960 were extremely janky because there weren't really any strong social institutions to keep detailed family records. This is true all across America in the 19th century (most American genealogies are extremely well kept once you get back to Europe, record keeping in the US was poo poo due to the Catholic Church, the main authority on family records, being a minority religious institution). Plenty of people in OK believe they have native ancestry when they don't, and not all of them are racist liars- some people just genuinely don't know and have gone through situations like Warren where the assumption of native blood wasn't a ploy to get ahead, it was an understandable mistake.

Should people be more diligent in finding out the truth of their ancestry? Sure. Did Warren act pretty tone deaf on this? Yeah. Should you be calling her "a liar" and accusing her of lying "for decades" given her nuanced family response to this? You can, but you sound like someone just trying to win the Leftist purity contest rather than someone making an argument in good faith.

This is an explanation for why you might casually bring up during a conversation "oh yeah here's a story I heard about my grandparents having to elope". She fully pretended she was ethnically Cherokee based on the absolute flimsiest of pretenses, and your attempted explanation here just emphasizes how inherently ridiculous that claim was. I don't see any nuance or evidence of good faith here, I see someone who definitely should know better and who has a very detailed understanding of the nature of evidence and proof who nonetheless was extremely comfortable misrepresenting themselves. I expect a lot more from a literal professor of law.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Shear Modulus posted:

if you want trump to lose and you dont care which not-trump wins you clearly shouldnt be supporting warren and by all evidence should be backing biden

If you want Trump to lose you should probably stop relying on the cargo cult empiricism that so much of contemporary political science is predicated on.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Failed Imagineer posted:

If he can lift the sword then who are we to argue

Drawing that sword from the stone of racesexism was actually a prerequisite of Bernie's 2016 primary run.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Jaxyon posted:

You know, if just one of these times, the response was like "yeah, there's some sexism involved with people's dislike of Warren and that's something we need to take into account, even if that's not the only reason" I'd shut up.

But I don't think I've ever seen that happen. So I keep bringing it up.

yeah, there's some sexism involved with people's dislike of Warren and that's something we need to take into account, even if that's not the only reason

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Jaxyon what the hell I said the magic words you liar.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Craptacular! posted:

Question to the people who talk labor: isn’t working these sorts of poo poo Jobs a ladder for people with a terrible employment history? If you have huge, gaping holes in your history I can see opting to do some kind of unpaid campaign job simply to show the next employer you did something.

This has always kind of been my quiet concern with the labor/union politics, it seems designed to benefit those who already are in the system by denying opportunity to people who fell through the cracks in some way. (Edit: I guess in Bernie’s ideal world a jobs guarantee is supposed to address this, but man I feel there’s better ways to address poverty.)

In first world countries the generosity of the 'social wage', i.e. the range of protections, supports and services guaranteed by the government to working people, has tended to rise and fall with the strength of organized labour and its allied institutions. From a longer term view - i.e. decade to decade - countries with relatively strong labour movements and the attendant social democratic politics those movements tend to generate spend more money on welfare and education and generally have much stronger protections for worker rights.

Majorian posted:

Many will grudgingly coalesce around Warren for the nomination, some will vote 3rd party in Nov. 2020, and, as you've seen, some will abandon electoralism altogether. Those of us who lose the toxx will probably come back very quickly; we'll just have different outlooks on where the country goes after all this is over.

Warren aint going to be the nominee.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Grapplejack posted:

I like the idea that if Bernie fails it's time to abandon the idea of democracy altogether and become the pro-authoritarian left, as if that is at all a good idea

You can get rid of the "if".

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Iamgoofball posted:

as a previous bernie donator and a current bernie donator, i support bernie and will be voting for him but if he drops out beforehand i can see why people would shift over to supporting warren as a result

or maybe they should just merge their campaigns like voltron and go for a bernie/warren pres/vp ticket

i mean, who else are my fellow bernie supporters going to vote for, the cop? biden?

Not that this message will gain much headway with this terminally online audience, but try to make peace with the fact that voting and donating are among the least significant or consequential political acts you can take, and find ways to get involved in organizing around issues like wages, rent, discrimination, police violence, poverty, etc. Elections can be a useful way of mobilizing support and trying to push new ideas into public consciousness but realistically speaking the US government will likely collapse before a left wing candidate ever gains power.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Liberalism is dead and and Americans don't have the stomach for socialism so a New Age cult is really the most plausible good outcome everyone. Unlike both those traditions New Age beliefs are an authentically American tradition and not some pretentious European import, and its ecumenical and pluralist outlook is ideal for overcoming America's stark religious divides. Williamson's comments on AIDS and vaccines merely demonstrate the raw potency of her beliefs and the power of faith to overcome all rational obstacles. No other force is capable of overcoming Trumpism. Search your feelings, you know it to be true.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Typo posted:

I think "New Age cult" are not "authentically American" but rather cultural appropriation from many older non-white traditions by Americans

That's as American as mom and apple pie. In fact anything less would be positive unAmerican.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Oh little Bernard Brothers, you worry about reading lanyards when you should be reading auras. How will you overcome capital when you can't even stand up to the Archons of the Outer Church?

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

lol

figures I'd suggest getting back to real primary chat and get a LinYutang shitpost for my troubles

Believe in karma yet?

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Your Boy Fancy posted:

And it’s incredibly telling that saying “Bernie can’t win, his supporters are assholes and his message gets lost in the belligerence” triggers a chorus of FOOL! CENTRIST! BIDEN LOVER! MSNBC WATCHER! This is my point. The majority of the last day in this thread was a parade extolling the virtues of the vaccine-skeptic self-help-for-profit joke candidate, because at least she was never a Republican at some point. Prester Jane could write a whole chapter in her book on cults on the compaction cycle that went on here. Y’all made mcmagic sound reasonable.

You said a bunch of people were assholes and think that it was "incredibly telling" that people responded with hostility. Wow, that sounds like a really significant data point.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

I don't care what anyone says, people being rude to me on the internet is a matter of world historic significance. In fact the entire nomination process and indeed election most likely hinges on it.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

mormonpartyboat posted:

open question: "but how will we pay for it?"

Follow up: but would it solve racism?

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

The Democratic leadership's obsession with pleasing the imaginary centre-right Republican leaning independent voter base was a primary factor in their decision to completely throw ACORN under the bus over a manufactured scandal. ACORN was dedicated to registering voters and increasing turnout among exactly the groups of people the Democrats desperately need to show up in huge numbers. Though it was eventually concluded that ACORN hadn't actually violated the law the Democrats allowed them to get defunded and they filed for bankruptcy.

There's a whole body of research demonstrating that focusing on registration and turning out your own voters is vastly more effective in most cases than trying to win over undecided voters, and that door knocking tends to be much more effective than television ads. But those are techniques that require motivated volunteers and enthusiastic voters which means raising expectations and then occasionally delivering on those expectations (maybe even giving your supporters something extra to turn out and defend next time) and that completely gently caress up the Democratic pitch to their wealthy donors. Besides which there would be no sense whatsover in making a career as a Democratic consultant if you couldn't redirect contracts to your friends so the idea that you'd do fewer expensive television spots just because they're not very effective is madness.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

The vulgar Marxist narrative about how everyone who doesn't love Bernie just suffers from false consciousness is pretty simplistic and obnoxious but then again if your arguing against someone who apparently forgot that the Cold War was a thing then I suppose it all balances out.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

This is, not good.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Mellow Seas posted:

The “good” thing about the Kamala plan is that it’s absolute poo poo electorally because it enthusiastically limits itself to an extremely small portion of the democratic electorate and an even smaller portion of the general electorate. People are generally somewhere between “meh” and “bleh” on programs that help people who aren’t them. Even moreso when the plan is barely helpful for the small group of beneficiaries. That’s one of the reasons we tend took be anti-means testing around here. Anybody who likes that poo poo plan is sure to notice that Warren’s is better and Bernie’s is MUCH better. This does indeed scream “Hillary advisors” loudly and unmistakably.

People don't really vote based on policy. I think at most you use policy to tell a story about yourself - Bernie's policy narrates that he's a populist opposed to big money, Warren's policy narrates that she's an academic and policy wonk, Biden's policy narrates that he is the natural successor to Obama and other electorally successful Democrats - but Kamala isn't the kind of candidate who is going to win the primary by promising the Democratic base policies that will directly improve their lives.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Reverend Dr posted:

liberals love number fuckery because the more complicated it is, the easier it is for them to pretend that "actually this is good and you don't understand it", scratching both the elitist itch as well as bog standard maintaining plausible deniability to the horrors of the world.

Also gives them the vicarious thrill of making the poor eat their vegetables. What would be the appeal of the welfare state if you didn't use it to ruthlessly winnow out the worth from the unworthy? It's crucially important we don't accidentally help out the wrong kind of needy person.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Mellow Seas posted:

Krugman was also a fierce opponent of austerity and debt panic during the recession. That view was depressingly rare in the mainstream. He was very hard on Obama’s attempts to lower deficits and (especially) cut entitlements. He called the stimulus too small, loudly and repeatedly. He was against almost of all of Obama’s economic feints to the right.

I don’t know what his bugaboo is with single payer but generally speaking he’s on the party’s left.

Pembroke Fuse posted:

Krugman was one of Obama's policy booster, AFAIK. He hasn't even hopped on the "neo-Keynesianist" train like Danni Roderik and others.

Krugman made a hard pivot from being one of Obama's fiercest liberal critics to being one of his most ardent fans, sometime between about 2012 and 2014. Suddenly Obama was the best President any liberal could ask for and his track record was an amazing series of accomplishments. As someone who soured on Obama in part because of Krugman's very effective takedown of his early policy missteps it was pretty eye opening watching him reverse himself almost in real time. Of course this wasn't nearly as shocking as it otherwise would have been because I had read a bunch of his columns from the 1990s, but it was still pretty wild seeing him abandon his own criticisms.

Mellow Seas posted:

Or maybe he just disagrees with you.

quote:

The Plot Against Medicare

Paul Krugman APRIL 20, 2007

The plot against Social Security failed: President Bush’s attempt to privatize the system crashed and burned when the public realized what he was up to. But the plot against Medicare is faring better: the stealth privatization embedded in the Medicare Modernization Act, which Congress literally passed in the dead of night back in 2003, is proceeding apace.

Worse yet, the forces behind privatization not only continue to have the G.O.P. in their pocket, but they have also been finding useful idiots within the newly powerful Democratic coalition. And it’s not just politicians with an eye on campaign contributions. There’s no nice way to say it: the N.A.A.C.P. and the League of United Latin American Citizens have become patsies for the insurance industry.

To appreciate what’s going on, you need to know what has been happening to Medicare in the last few years.

The 2003 Medicare legislation created Part D, the drug benefit for seniors — but unlike the rest of Medicare, Part D isn’t provided directly by the government. Instead, you can get it only through a private drug plan, provided by an insurance company. At the same time, the bill sharply increased payments to Medicare Advantage plans, which also funnel Medicare funds through insurance companies.

As a result, Medicare — originally a system in which the government paid people’s medical bills — is becoming, instead, a system in which the government pays the insurance industry to provide coverage. And a lot of the money never makes it to the people Medicare is supposed to help.

In the case of the drug benefit, the private drug plans add an extra, costly layer of bureaucracy. Worse yet, they have much less ability to bargain for lower drug prices than government programs like Medicaid and the Veterans Health Administration. Reasonable estimates suggest that if Congress had eliminated the middlemen, it could have created a much better drug plan — one without the notorious “doughnut hole,” the gap in coverage once your annual expenses exceed $2,400 per year — at no higher cost.

Meanwhile, those Medicare Advantage plans cost taxpayers 12 percent more per recipient than standard Medicare. In the next five years that subsidy will cost more than $50 billion — about what it would cost to provide all children in America with health insurance. Some of that $50 billion will be passed on to seniors in extra benefits, but a lot of it will go to overhead, marketing expenses and profits.

With the Democratic victory last fall, you might have expected these things to change. But the political news over the last few days has been grim.

First, the Senate failed to end debate on a bill — in effect, killing it — that would have allowed Medicare to negotiate over drug prices. The bill was too weak to have allowed Medicare to get large discounts. Still, it would at least have established the principle of using government bargaining power to get a better deal. But in spite of overwhelming public support for price negotiation, 42 senators, all Republicans, voted no on allowing the bill to go forward.

If we can’t even establish the principle of negotiation, a true repair of the damage done in 2003 — which would require having Medicare offer seniors the option of getting their drug coverage directly, without involving the insurance companies — seems politically far out of reach.

At the same time, attempts to rein in those Medicare Advantage payments seem to be running aground. Everyone knew that reducing payments would be politically tough. What comes as a bitter surprise is the fact that minority advocacy groups are now part of the problem, with both the N.A.A.C.P. and the League of United Latin American Citizens sending letters to Congressional leaders opposing plans to scale back the subsidy.

What seems to have happened is that both groups have been taken in by insurance industry disinformation, which falsely claims that minorities benefit disproportionately from this subsidy. It’s a claim that has been thoroughly debunked in a study by the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities — but apparently the truth isn’t getting through.

Public opinion is strongly in favor of universal health care, and for good reason: fear of losing health insurance has become a constant anxiety of the middle class. Yet even as we talk about guaranteeing insurance to all, privatization is undermining Medicare — and people who should know better are aiding and abetting the process.

I mean, he did publish this article on 420. Maybe he literally forgot writing it.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Yeah, I don't think Krugman is willfully malicious I just think he's a Badly Burned Leftie Boomer who's learned helplessness and is terminally afraid that better things aren't possible.

A lot of older lefties just have terminal post-Reagan PTSD and can't dare to dream of anything further left than Bill Clinton.

Krugman briefly worked for the Reagan administration and if you read his 90s collumns he is 100% on board with the free trade dogmatism of the era and writes plenty of articles scolding irresponsible lefties who ignore the lessons of neoclassical economics at their own peril. He has always been a liberal and was never a leftist. I realize that's pedantic in most cases but in the context of one of the world's most widely read living economists (ugh) that distinction matters a lot. He actually moved quite a bit to the left after taking his New York Times column but contextually I think that had a lot to do with the election of George W. Bush shortly thereafter. His Clinton era writings are often terrible, especially when read in light of some of his later statements.

The best thing I can say for Krugman is that he correctly identified many terrible habits of mind within the economist and pundit class. The worst thing I can say about him is that he was able to detail those traits with such exactitude because he was inadvertently describing himself.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Socialism has failed and thanks to the destruction of the biosphere living standards will necessarily go down for the average American. New Age spirituality is the only belief system that will teach them to cope with this reality through love rather than hate.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Arist posted:

This is some hardcore revisionist history, Trump is not actually good at debate, he's just good at sucking all the air out of the room in an overcrowded field

Trump slaughtered Clinton at the debates and realizing that most of D&D literally couldn't understand this was a huge revelation regarding just how out of touch most of the posters here actually are.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Slowpoke! posted:

Well if you want a real world example, I live in Canada and OHIP does not include dental, prescription drugs, or other types of insurance such as accidental death, etc. The private insurance through my employer supplements those things.

The two companies that I have had (Manulife & Desjardin) also provide our Retirement Savings plans, so I’m not 100% sure this would be an apples for apples comparison as to how these companies would exist, but there would likely be a role for private insurance companies to fill. It just wouldn’t be as profitable.

OHIP is really terrible and more or less has actual death panels, except they take the form of a doctor or hospital administrator behind the scenes telling the hospital social worker to send the old diabetic person home where they will die so that some else can be rotated through that bed. Or if the social worker won't do it, they wait till she's not there (a lot of em are only working four days or less thanks to cuts) and then transfers the patient anyway. People are killed this way all the time.

It is also infinitely better than the American system, because this is hellworld and the extremely spotty, unreliable and indifferent health insurance that you get in Canada somehow puts America to shame.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Chilichimp posted:

I know why she won't give them the answer, because it's a stupid loving question that absolutely will be used against her...

But there's no winning here. Now they'll just say she's won't admit that taxes will go up WHAT ELSE IS SHE HIDING!?!?!?!?!

Honestly, it's no longer clear there's ever a bad time in American politics to change the conversation to how journalists are dishonest shills. Why even treat a question you don't like seriously when its coming from Chris Matthews? She should have just laid into him and started saying "what the hell do you know about it Chris? Youv'e never been poor, you've never sat around a kitchen table choosing between food and medicine, you just say what you're paid to say".

I mean realistically that isn't the kind of answer that Warren stans thirst for but it'd be more honest than pretending this is an actual debate on ideas.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

When Dredd says he's the law it's not a good thing so maybe don't evoke that

*one blue ocean event later, a gang of mutant kids beats you with chains and tire irons and then steals your last package of government issued mealworm powder*

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

It's been a while admittedly but I'm pretty sure the post debate polling data does not support that assertion, and Clinton got a relative bump from every debate. It just wasn't enough / didn't last.

It's not a popularity contest though, it's a race to win the right electoral college votes. Trump's line on NAFTA being the worst trade deal ever, on Clinton flip flopping over the TPP, and on Clinton's experience all being bad experience were exactly the lines he needed to hit, people just missed it because they didn't imagine a state like Michigan could actually be in play. He hit vulnerabilities that no other Republican would have gone after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Jaxyon posted:

Throwing red meat to his base was something he was already doing. It didn't move the needle on non-white voters because they weren't willing to overlook his racism in favor of his faux populism.

Hillary said the right thing for a lot of her voters as well.

Debates are stupid.

Voters in Michigan were not Trump's "base" they were supposed to be bricks in the Blue Wall that made his victory impossible.