Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Looking forward to this :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

pro starcraft loser posted:

It's honestly a lot of fun. Playing through a few megawads in the past without pistol starting I was kind of like "well this isn't too bad".

But going back and playing being forced to use a rocket launcher in a tight area or a shotgun for larger things and the like, I could tell a lot of thought went into it and was much more fun (and difficult) to play.

Yeah when I was a kid, the idea of the "pistol start" was such a strange concept to me; I got it in my head that is must have been a mistake--not a feature--for the game to restart the level on death with a pistol and nothing else.

It's only been in the last 10-12 years that I've fallen in love with it, and now I do it whenever I can. Sometimes I even do it in other games, like Blood and Shadow Warrior.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

It's definitely a "different strokes"-type situation. I find that, even on UV, I get to the point with a lot of WADs where I have so much of everything and the difficulty can suffer; secrets lose their appeal because it's like "oh a hidden plasma rifle...I already have one."

On a "pistol start", maps can feel more like puzzles: how do I get through this area with 15 rockets and 50 cells? How can I finagle these enemies into fighting each other? And when you find a weapon or secret, it's likely to be a much bigger boon to your run.

Of course, I'm also kind of a weirdo who likes when the game takes my poo poo away (like in Fallout: New Vegas' "Dead Money" DLC) and makes me start from scratch, even temporarily.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Turin Turambar posted:

...crowd surfing?

Maybe being able to step on top of enemies instead of getting blocked by them? Like if you're standing on a platform with a gaggle of imps below you, you can step off of the platform, on/over the imps, and onto the ground past them?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

In Training posted:

I know im like half a year late on this but Overboard owns. It's incredible the amount of visual detail & unique encounters thats crammed into 4 minute-ish maps. Tremendous level designer

I must be a half year late too because I'm just discovering this WAD thanks to your post. Looks great.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Sailor Dave posted:

Really cool wad, but good god the story in the accompanying txt file :stonk:

Jesus christ

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Brolander posted:

sigil 2 is kind of a pain in the rear end on UV but not that bad. im more annoyed by stuff randomly not working. most fresh in my mind is the baron encounter at the end of map 7, the shooty did not work to open the exit room door after a loaded game, took a few reloads to work again

Yeah I've been having a bit of fun with it on UV as well, and am currently bouncing between it and Ancient Aliens. I think the thing that has annoyed me most about Sigil II so far is the series of secrets on E6M6 that involve you running around narrow ledges above the Cyberdemon maze.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Brolander posted:

map 7 IIRC is my least favorite in terms of design. how it flowed, shotgunners placed where i cant really look is a pet peeve. which is like a positioning challenge but i just hate the fused neck feeling. Buut i understand it's part of the charm/deal and it didn't prevent me from enjoying the experience on the whole. by the end I was dodging Cacos in the style of Neo Matrix. bring on Hellion

Oh nice, my UV run is pistol-start too. And I just finished E6M7 last night and can agree that the flow was very strange; there were multiple times where I wasn't quite sure what I needed to do next. Toward the end, that dark room with the small platforms that rise and fall was very odd.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

On recommendation from somebody in the 2.5D FPS thread, I'm playing through Ozonia; I currently have no notes except for the fact that the new "Hellion" enemy is a stand-out and feels like it occupies a new space in the bestiary as a super-high-mobility rear end in a top hat. It'd be one thing if it simply launched imp fireballs, but the fact that it shoots 3-round volleys of fast plasma makes it an especially punishing enemy for something with the ~HP of a pinkie. It's been a refreshing mix-up to Doom WADs that replace the Keen/SS/Romero head sprites but end up with enemies that feel a lot like "(doom enemy), but with (blank) projectile"

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Brolander posted:

the doomworld forums simply do not want me--this is the second time I've tried to sign up and it just does not send (or re-send) a verification email. Not in spam etc. Literally all I want it for is to talk to the Ashes 2063 guy in his thread. Which apparently the new one is going to come out soon and I'm supa stoked

This is maybe going to sound weird and horseshitty, but do you have an adblocker enabled? I've had issues with a few sites not sending verification e-mails I've requested, including Humble, until I temporarily disabled my adblocker. I have no idea how that works, but I just have to temporarily disable it, request the e-mail, then immediately reenable the blocker.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

I like the sound of that Hell Knight Cream and Baron of Hell Pink

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

khwarezm posted:

Any recommendations for mods that just pretty up the game a bit without changing the gameplay? I've been using smooth doom for generally vanilla stuff but its gotten pretty long in the tooth and increasingly doesn't work with modern WADs.

I've been using Beautiful Doom (https://www.moddb.com/mods/beautiful-doom-6100) for that, and it seems to work well with most WADs.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Good soup! posted:

UV or bust :hehe:

He*l Yeah :amen:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

I can't believe I've been sleeping on Sunlust for so many years. Like, I've heard the name and I've known of the WAD's existence for a long time now, but I've JUST gotten around to actually playing it. A fantastic ball-buster on UV+Pistol Start, and great looking levels to boot.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

A.o.D. posted:

Yeah well, when you get to map 29, you can Go gently caress Yourself.

Arivia posted:

Mods? Mods!

:getin:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Takes No Damage posted:

I'll try to pistol start most things since it can be a pretty good time provided the mapmaker takes progressing from 0 into account, but my patience for replaying sections has gone way down over time. Now I just try to not save in the middle of a fight, but afterwards or if I've just been wandering around for 5 minutes hell yeah I'm dropping a quicksave.

It's funny because I pistol start whenever possible nowadays, but I've only been doing that for the last 6 or 7 years. It's really changed my experience overall.

I've come up with all of these arbitrary personal "rules" for saves, like only being able to make one save per 150 monsters in a level (give or take). I play real loose with it sometimes though.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Takes No Damage posted:

:raise: Why not just restart the map when something like that happens? It seems to me that pistol starting would remove the need for a beginning of map save. I suppose it means you could easily reset things with a quickload, but have 'map *' bound to a key so I can restart my current map with a single keypress anyway.

If I'm understanding it correctly, Arivia's talking about a thing I also do: when I finish a level and start the next, I've still got all of my stuff from the previous level. I'll usually make an immediate "level start" save at this point, and then idclev myself into a pistol start on that map. That way if the level is kind of busted and not really conducive to a pistol start, I can just load the save and proceed "naturally" (if that makes sense).

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

I recently wrapped up Eviternity and, weirdly, I wasn't a huge fan of the final 4-5 maps. I think the heavenly aesthetic didn't really appeal to me much, even though it was quite different from what you'd find in most WADs. Great WAD overall though.

Currently on Map 15 or 16 of Sunlust.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

In Training posted:

The first level of the hell episode kicked rear end. Much needed shot of adrenaline after the more subdued hydroelectric dam flavored episode 4. Except I didn't have enough ammo to kill the cybie at the end, that level really need a berserk pack! I did miss a secret so maybe it does.

Yeah Episode 5 was great, and I really liked its aesthetic overall--appropriately hellish. I don't believe Imperishable has a berserk pack whatsoever, and I ended up running right by the Cyberdemon at the very end as well.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Man, after a few days of wrestling with it on and off, I've finally completed Sunlust Map 15 "Strength and Anger" pistol start + UV with 1 "midpoint" save. That was a fuckin tough map.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Arivia posted:

did you find the secret exit

no :mad:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

My Sunlust "run" has become more of a brutal crawl. The UV Pistol Start rules would be one thing, but my "one save per map" has definitely developed a bite as the maps progress. But I am too stubborn to back down now. MAP 18 "Mu Cephei" took several days of attempts on and off, but it is over now; it is all down hill :buddy:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Arivia posted:

Have you played Sunlust before? MAP28 and MAP30 have extremely obvious one-midlevel-save places when you’ve played the map before, but you likely won’t know them going your first time through.

Nope! I've gone in completely blind, beyond vaguely understanding that it's supposed to be a tough WAD.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Arivia posted:

Do you want some hopefully spoiler-mostly-free advice about where to save then?

Sure!

khwarezm posted:

I've been trying that with Sunder and, er, lets just say that trying to restrict myself to one save per map didn't survive first contact with map 5, Precarious.

Oh man, Sunder. I need to try that WAD out again one day. Maybe next. I remember getting to Map 15 or 16 before getting distracted by something else--in no small part because of how brutal it had gotten.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Hey awesome, thanks for the info!

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Turin Turambar posted:

Oh boy, let me talk about map 29/map 30...
It's definitively doable, but you are going to have to 'train', playing first with saves, playing each fight several times, and then restarting the map and doing attempts for the 'one save per map' run.

For sure, it becomes a sort of puzzle--only, you can gently caress up just moving the "pieces" around. Currently working on Map 19 "Blood Geometry", where you're assailed by a Cyberdemon, arch-viles, revenants, and a mancubus from the get-go. So it's been a process of figuring out, "okay I'll start by luring the revenants into the Cyberdemon's volley, then sprint to the left, pick these things up, take out this arch-vile..." etc. and sort of working the "pieces" into place.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Speaking of music, I love the fact that Sunlust Map 19 uses an Unreal Tournament '99 track.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"Going Up" would be a good name for a sequel WAD. Oh! Or "Going Bananas".

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Arivia posted:

Whoops sorry I got distracted and forgot to respond with my ideas. I don't have ideas for every map, but these are the ones that stick out from a quick scan.

MAP20: after you return to the main area from the cellblock.

After several days, I finally did this one. What a nightmare, I must have died two hundred times trying to pull this one off. The very end of the "cellblock" area was particularly challenging because it seemed important to get the Cyberdemon to IMMEDIATELY engage the arch-viles and barons surrounding him before he teleported--otherwise I got torn apart like tissue paper, even if I had maxed health and armor.

Onto MAP21.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Sunlust has been a real gem thus far (I'm on Map 22 I believe) and it'll definitely be one of my choice hard WADs for future reference.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"Well the last 3 or 4 Sunlust levels have been pretty easy, I wonder when it picks back up again like Arivia was saying..."

(New map loads with 1,808 enemies) :rip:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Arivia posted:

I'm guessing you hit MAP24 Dying On Cue. It'll get smaller again for a couple maps and then spread out real wide towards the end.

Good to know. And yeah as you suggested, I got through MAP21-23 pretty easily, even with my current "ruleset".

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Arivia posted:

e: sorry if I’m not making sense. Life is being a gently caress right now and I think it’s affecting how I interact with others.

Yeah I think there's a miscommunication or misread in tone going on so just focus on your personal life, I get it, no problem

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Well as it turns out, I think I am NOT a bad enough dude to complete this Sunlust run; ran into a sort of wall on MAP25 and now I'm playing through Unholy Realms!

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Takes No Damage posted:

Proxyon is a beast, but also one of the more fun ones to replay IMO once you've got the strats down. If you're stuck on a specific part Coincident has a blind playthrough from last year. I don't love the chat/save gimmick but it's still a decent watch:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMYztbDcjeFzxmdteaTExv_Q1lQ91F1z4

Arivia posted:

Yeah Proxyon is hell of fun and the rocket launcher fight is, IMO, an incredibly important thing to learn for dealing with large groups of enemies.

Do try and stick with Sunlust, even if you have to save after every fight it’s still challenging and worthwhile to see the whole way through.

Alright I jumped back in and finally beat Proxyon today. It "only" took like a hundred deaths and three save points (one after the Arch Vile/BH/HK clusterfuck, one after the larger imp & mancubus pinch, and one after the Cacodemon clusterfuck). I definitely agree that there's something very satisfying about this map's fixation on rocket fights--churning through clouds of cacos and imps like a lawnmower.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah I've been having to practice that a bit, and have finally cleared another one of the areas you're probably referring to in Map 26 "Kinetics". I think this is the first WAD I've played where I really had to do this.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Sunlust is behind me now. The last several levels, I stopped running with the "one save per map" rule, and ended up saving in 3 or 4 spots on most of them. Overall, a fun WAD with thoughtful and challenging set pieces, but I definitely preferred the smaller (i.e. ~200-300 enemy) maps versus the 800-1000+ sprawls.

Resuming Unholy Realms, which is positively quaint by comparison, and I'm already on MAP10.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Arivia posted:

I have to ask: how long did it take you to get out of the first room in Go gently caress Yourself? (MAP29)

If I'm remembering it correctly, like 3 hours and fifty deaths :lol:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

I've forgotten how decent Unholy Realms is. I don't see it mentioned a lot, but it's a solid 32-map MegaWAD comprised of a shorter, well-paced ~100-250-count levels that are generally difficult on UV pistol starts, but nothing crazy. More like a 6/10 toughness, I'd say. A nice palate cleanser after Sunlust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

You can also see the player hit one of the spectres with the shotgun's stock, which is one of Beautiful Doom's alt-fire options if you're not running with pure vanilla weapon settings.