Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Hey now, what harm can come of a metrocentric outlook?

E: tax

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Aug 31, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

McBusted are making a comeback?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Pochoclo posted:

Pretty sure bottled water will still be widely available in one of the richest European countries, comrades

I mean come on, I swear this thread sometimes...

Everyone in Latin America would be long dead if civilisation was as fragile as you make it out to be

We still have a good ~50 years before we really get hosed IMO

I can't speak for everyone in the thread, but for me Brexit preparation is more "three weeks of logistics disruption" than "total societal collapse, eat the fattest for sustenance". So stock up on some dried/tinned groceries rather than bullets and petrol.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Tenebrais posted:

I can't speak for everyone in the thread, but for me Brexit preparation is more "three weeks of logistics disruption" than "total societal collapse, eat the fattest for sustenance". So stock up on some dried/tinned groceries rather than bullets and petrol.

Misread your post.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Pochoclo posted:

Pretty sure bottled water will still be widely available in one of the richest European countries, comrades

It might, but it might also temporarily cost ten times as much just from panic buying let alone actual logistics issues.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Undead Hippo posted:

Is that not because Fruit Machines make much more profit for the space taken up? Genuinely curious.

I couldn’t say for sure but the quiz machines were very popular for quite a few years which you wouldn’t expect to be the case if they weren’t turning a decent profit

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Dubrovnik is great for this

half the tour groups: “the Jesuits founded this church in 1534”
the other half: “and this is where King Tommen married Queen Marjery”

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Hi! Recommend a good podcast about Bojo's latest Brexit shenanigans tyvmia :tipshat:

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Pochoclo posted:

I think I see the problem in your argument friend

Realistically I doubt things will be bad enough to disrupt the drinking water supply, but given what happens in US supermarkets everytime there's a hurricane warning, it's more the convenience of not having to run down the shops for some staples when everyone else has the same idea.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Pochoclo posted:

in one of the richest European countries,

No doubt true, but that is two to three things a post-Brexit Britain will no longer be.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Nenonen posted:

Hi! Recommend a good podcast about Bojo's latest Brexit shenanigans tyvmia :tipshat:

Well, if you insist :v:

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

WhatEvil posted:

Also Corbyn was at a demo in Glasgow.

Lmao we just the channel 4 news on and they explicitly said during the story that Jeremy Corbyn had not appeared at any rallies. Then just as the program ended they made a brief correction that he’d been at a rally in Glasgow.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Coohoolin posted:

Btw guys good news, I was chatting to the DJ at my local last night and apparently pop punk is coming back in a big way.

Thank gently caress. That's been keeping me up at night

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Julio Cruz posted:

A tour guide in Valparaiso was surprised to see that one of the rarely-open German churches was, in fact, open.
It was Easter Sunday; but I'm sure that had nothing to do with it.

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015

Coohoolin posted:

Btw guys good news, I was chatting to the DJ at my local last night and apparently pop punk is coming back in a big way.

It never left

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

on one hand I said 'good', on the other thank you

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Tarnop posted:

Yep yep, just going to stockpile some essentials from the *checks notes* £0 left over from my generous universal credit payment.

I've made peace with the substantial likelihood of my demise.

In all seriousness set up a go fund me and I'll bung you some spare poonds.

Listening to the podcast btw on the way home from 8 hours in an airport in Poland. Bloody funny guys. Can't wait for more.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Kassad posted:

So it's confirmed that the Eggman hates Johnson's guts, then.

Fantastic (adj.): imaginative or fanciful; remote from reality.

Checks out.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

Coohoolin posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwhPOlIuSXM ?

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Yeah, I'm stocking up on rice, pasta, lentils, dried beans, tinned tomatoes etc. Won't be an interesting diet but it'll keep me alive if Brexit apocalypse happens.

There were about 5000 people at the demo but the Bristol Post reported it as "hundreds" :mad:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I quite enjoy this crazy russian guy for cooking advice on a budget, most everything seems primarily composed of onions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ov6-wfN0I7s

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Pistol_Pete posted:

Yeah, I'm stocking up on rice, pasta, lentils, dried beans, tinned tomatoes etc. Won't be an interesting diet but it'll keep me alive if Brexit apocalypse happens.

I've put my chips on nothing matters and am letting it ride.

Whatever happens happens.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

OwlFancier posted:

I quite enjoy this crazy russian guy for cooking advice on a budget, most everything seems primarily composed of onions.

One might say, I oughtn't to wonder, that the man knows his onions!!!!!!!! :dadjoke:

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Julio Cruz posted:

I had a taxi driver here in Cork city detect my NI accent and thought I would like to know all about the Easter Rising and whatnot
"Look up there! Thats where the brits bust in and machine gunned a family in their beds"
"Over here a brit patrol was ambushed and set on fire"
.etc

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

happyhippy posted:

I had a taxi driver here in Cork city detect my NI accent and thought I would like to know all about the Easter Rising and whatnot
"Look up there! Thats where the brits bust in and machine gunned a family in their beds"
"Over here a brit patrol was ambushed and set on fire"
.etc

Yeah it's like in Luxor where about 60 tourists were massacred in 1997 at Hatshepsut's temple. According to the Western press (taking presumably an official press release at face value), the terrorists committed mass suicide in a cave up a hill. But I was in the vicinity with a local friend and we went to Qena where the terrorists were from and he pointed a mosque out to me and said "That's the mosque where the police killed the terrorists while they were praying." Which is a bit different!

Dirty Deeds Done
Apr 8, 2009

OI OI OI OI OI OI
Hey UKMT, I just moved to Reading, where's good to go out?

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Nenonen posted:

on one hand I said 'good', on the other thank you

the Novara squad have done a couple:

https://soundcloud.com/novaramedia/tysky-sour-party-leaders-ready

https://soundcloud.com/novaramedia/tysky-sour-is-this-a-coup

there's also a Politics Theory Other on it here:

https://soundcloud.com/poltheoryother/58-prorogue-nation-w-james-meadway

don't know if they're on any podcast apps; probably though

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Dirty Deeds Done posted:

The Purple Turtle in the middle of town

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Oh no oh no oh no

A friend's just shared a photo of an anti-coup protest she was at today in a small rural town and there's someone holding a 'Hermione wouldn't stand for this' poster. Aargh.
Would share but that would doxx someone I know.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
lol i'm watching the awful tom cruise mummy movie, imagining the producers being like "yeah so archaeologists are cool, but you know what else is cool? SOLDIERS" so they made the two grave robbing guys into... archaeology soldiers.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The Mummy with Brendan Fraser is the best film ever made and I do not see the point in trying to improve upon it.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

The Mummy with Brendan Fraser is the best film ever made and I do not see the point in trying to improve upon it.

I must admit I'm very partial to getting an eyeful of Ardeth Bay.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Oh no oh no oh no

A friend's just shared a photo of an anti-coup protest she was at today in a small rural town and there's someone holding a 'Hermione wouldn't stand for this' poster. Aargh.
Would share but that would doxx someone I know.

remember how in the HP universe the government is actually a sham and it's all controlled by wizards in secret

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Dirty Deeds Done posted:

Purple turtle, Pavlovs dog and hope tap.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Aug 31, 2019

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Dirty Deeds Done posted:

The train station so you can leave again? Baddum tish

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I stumbled across one of these videos while searching for cheap recipes but immediately shut it off because it looked like a parody a la HowToBasic. Is this legit then?

OwlFancier posted:

:respek: I wouldn't call it the best (that's RoboCop) but it's definitely underrated.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Aug 31, 2019

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

OwlFancier posted:

The Mummy Returns, on the other hand...

Actually, it's grown on me because of A: its sheer demented lunacy ("Let's take everything from the first film and amp it up about a thousand times! On crack!"), and B: what at the time felt like wretched CGI excess now feels quite genteel and restrained.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Julio Cruz posted:

I couldn’t say for sure but the quiz machines were very popular for quite a few years which you wouldn’t expect to be the case if they weren’t turning a decent profit

Fruities have to pay out a certain percentage of takings, quiz machines (and other games of skill rather than chance) don't. As long as the questions were pitched at just the right level so people thought they were in with a chance, the margins are way, way higher, but as others have pointed out smartphones kinda kill that model.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

baka kaba posted:

remember how in the HP universe the government is actually a sham and it's all controlled by wizards in secret

Actually... no.. I've never read HP and believe me I tried very hard. Even tried listening to Steven Fry audio (20 years ago don't hate me), tried the films... nothing. I felt I was some kind of bad person for just not appreciating it until I came to UKMT :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Payndz posted:

The Mummy Returns, on the other hand...

Actually, it's grown on me because of A: its sheer demented lunacy ("Let's take everything from the first film and amp it up about a thousand times! On crack!"), and B: what at the time felt like wretched CGI excess now feels quite genteel and restrained.

CGI Scorpion Rock still sucks rear end though.

Even if you "fix" the effects it still looks dumb as gently caress:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KH1V6CHO1Jk&t=557s

Though it did also give us this glorious example of the importance of timing in acting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nX0100wUB0&t=103s

The first Scorpion King movie was also a decent Conan ripoff.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Aug 31, 2019