Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Junior G-man posted:

Alright, I think I may have mis-interpreted stuff in my posts above, but this ...

I don't know how many times the EU is gonna re-state the absolute same position; the deal currently on the table is the deal there is and it's not moving.

The only way it could conceivably (not even probably) move, is if Corbyn said he wanted to instead do an EEA / Norway deal, including freedom of movement. And you'd have to get the whole Council on board with this idea, and you'd have to re-lengthen the A.50 procedure to re-negotiate on EEA terms and probably pay your EU dues for another couple of years, and a whole other bunch of stuff would have to happen. I really don't see how this could possibly be achieved even with a massive Labour majority.

an EEA/Norway thingy could, and would need to, be negotiated after brexit day. the withdrawal agreement is only about what the relationship is immediately after leaving the EU, the real work's supposed to be done after that. the agreement was consciously drawn up to leave most hard questions for later, so everyone could say it was a first step to their brexit end stage. For all the good that did

well, the backstop's in there but that's an exception. a formal customs union/single market deal would need to be negotiated after leaving, not before.

In any case the actual policies that a fresh face might bring to Brussels won't interest the eurocrats, what they'll care about is the parliamentary mandate that underpins those policies. Corbyn with a fresh, dependably red parliament will get heard out. Corbyn as head of an avowedly temporary, five-party coalition of last resort to deliver another referendum and nothing more, won't.

quote:

Honestly, the only realistic referendum vote is on the current deal / hard Brexit with Bojo (one of the two) vs. pure Remain and revoke A.50. Every other option is so conditional and so dependent on a million other puzzle pieces falling into place.

If you had a 49.0/49.7 hard leave/hard remain referendum result, would you be credibly able to argue that it gave you any sort of mandate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Borrovan posted:

That's exactly why I said before that neutrality is the most Remain-ey feasible policy for an actual party of Government. Do your best, then put it to the people and do whatever.

Saying beforehand "we'd totally campaign against it" is ridiculous, saying "we'd totally campaign for it" hands fubpees a bunch of ammo and removes the possibility of saying "welp we did our best looks like a good Brexit just isn't possible" later on

I'm warming to this

Labour can credibly claim they're not instigators of brexit, but trying to not only fix somebody else's mess, but also trying to keep the promises those wankers failed to keep--workable defence against brexit purists and such. I do hope all those hard remainers left themselves some excuse to turn toward corbyn as PM though, or they'll look a lot like spineless twats fighting for PM Spineless Twat

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Bardeh posted:

https://twitter.com/joswinson/status/1163480488696328194

I just can't deal with the utter shitfuckery of the Lib Dems

IF THE LEADER OF THE OPPOSITION CAN'T GET THE SUPPORT, NO OTHER FUCKER IS GOING TO BE ABLE TO YOU DISINGENUOUS MORON, gently caress

like, even if they were entirely certain corbyn couldn't get a parliamentary mandate, the best policy would still be "we'd support any alternative to brexit", and talking up alternatives only after corbyn's failed. cripes

e:

Tijuana Bibliophile fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Aug 20, 2019

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
lots and lots of Europe-centered maps is my diagnosis, the distortion from projection makes greenland appear to be very very huge. Huge and big and important

I sure hope nobody tries to show him something like this for perspective

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Sanitary Naptime posted:

Trump going full flat earth would be amazing

I read somewhere that maps were the only things his administration could show him that didn't bore him to death. Maps and maps

something something Europe? Best bring him a flashy Europe map.

Here you see sir, this-
"What's that one, the big thing right there?"
(gently caress gently caress gently caress) that's Greenland sir. Now if you look-
"It's huge! There, right between us and Russia. Who owns it?"
etc

Tijuana Bibliophile fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Aug 21, 2019

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

jabby posted:

https://twitter.com/LibDems/status/1164132713605095424
This is just sad, I seriously loving hope no media outlets refer to them as 'shadow ministers'.

shamsters for short

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Ms Adequate posted:

Yeah but with the Amazon burning down as we shitpost, fracking's a problem on a longer timeline than we have left :lol:

they keep burning the wrong Amazon all the time

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Hitler and pals loved animals, and Instituted harsh animal welfare laws. Like, concentration camp harsh. It’s easy to love animals when you don’t have to love your fellow man.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
did u guys bet on how long it'd take for the graun to rehabilitate johnson?

anyway:

Heather Stewart, Political Editor posted:

Buffoonery is out
In the past, one reason for Johnson’s frequent gaffes was his constant, approval-seeking tic of sprinkling jokes into every public utterance.

During his leadership campaign, allies were already saying they had seen a more serious side of the man once better known for his Have I Got News For You appearances than his parliamentary oratory.

He’s still fond of using colourful language to convey a message, but he seems to have decided gags are not very prime ministerial.

so whoever's closest to 2-ish today wins

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Guavanaut posted:

Why not also call Eris a planet and resolve the debate that way? More inclusivity for planet status.

That's not a resolution though? with all the kuiper crap out there we'll end up with any number of variants of mass, volume and inclination to the invariable plane. madness i say

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Guavanaut posted:

Hail Eris! All Hail Discordia!

Why not go for 7? "The seven non-fixed astronomical objects in the sky visible to the naked eye" is just as valid an exclusionary term as "something something hydrostatic equilibrium."

with light pollution, smog and eye disease we'll have five planets by the end of this century. madness i say

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Pesky Splinter posted:

BRB, gonna petition NASA to rerecognise Sol and Luna as planets. :science:

Moon:
Volume 2.1958×1010 km3
Mass 7.342×1022 kg
Mean density 3.344 g/cm3

Pluto:
Volume 7.057±0.004×109 km3 (0.325 of moon)
Mass 1.303±0.003×1022 kg (0.177 of moon)
Mean density 1.854±0.006 g/cm3 (0.554 of moon)

oh look we dropped somewhere between one sixth and half a moon beyond neptune, better call it a planet because an american found it

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
And if that's somehow not convinced you, just look at this:

can't argue with orbits now, can you

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Guavanaut posted:

Maybe if the sun wasn't so loving big then it wouldn't so hot right now. Stupid idea piling so much stuff together that the middle starts fusing anyway.

almost 100% of light pollution is caused by the sun u know

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Niric posted:

I know it's because I'm a dummy with a humanities background, but I genuinely don't get the utility of logarithmic scales for graphs like this. Like, if the differences are too vast to make a clear visual comparison with singular straight lines then maybe singular straight lines aren't the best way of representing the difference?

[E: I realise that "clear" is doing a lot of work here that could also be replaced by "I'm not used to this and therefore it's poo poo"]

any representation of the solar system requires some of this because it doesn't operate on scales that humans easily comprehend. I agree the logarithmic scale doesn't make sense in that graph though, since you'd expect to be able to tell which thing is, like, twice as large as the next thing without reading the numbers on top. i guess whoever made the graph agrees because they put the numbers on top of their dumb graph

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Here's some unhelpful solar system pie charts, everyone loves pie charts

(Msc is non-sun solar system mass)

Here's the planets

Here's the solid planets/bodies

And here's the moons

and if it can't be done well in a succession of ill-presented pie charts, well, i guess it can't be done period

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

thespaceinvader posted:

See if you can find some advocacy for future sessions.

If you want advice, we're going through this process at the moment, and my wife is fortunate to have access to a strong advocacy group in the charity for her condition, so i could potentially see if any advice is available beyond the below.

It's a horrible process though, and the biggest upshot of our discussions about it is that you have to be EXTREMELY, aggressively defensive and literal and consider in detail what all the questions really mean when you're asked them.

Like, 'do you have any pets' isn't 'do you have any pets' it's 'if they have a pet thy can clearly take care of a pet, so they can't be THAT disabled'.

And you also have to bear in mind just how many of your support structures and mechanisms you rely on, and eliminate them from consideration when you're answering. Like, for her, the questions of 'can you prepare a meal unaided' is complex, because she can - with the aid of her wheelchair, the adaptations we've made to our kitchen, and a lot more time and effort for a worse meal than average. So the answer, strictly, is no - because all the aids she uses to prepare that meal, aren't HER, and she, on her own, absolutely cannot prepare a meal. But if you're not prepared to be that aggressively defensive, you might say yes - which is the answer they're looking for, to mark off against your chance of getting benefits.

The people assessing you aren't trying to give you benefits, they're trying to take them away. You have to stop them.

In short, poo poo sucks, I'm sorry you had to go through that. Hopefully your appeal will be successful.

Ah yes, an assessment procedure in which the benefit in question can only be obtained by someone in need of it, who actively works to sabotage that very same assessment procedure. It's offensive on so many levels it's almost comical, but it's not, because it's just offensive

seriously gently caress whoever thought that poo poo up

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Lord Ludikrous posted:

As it happens, not one application in London went anywhere.

maybe u need to send them to london

seriously though congratulations

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

LongLongView CIF posted:

I live in Opposite Land:
Where the young and foolish are wiser than their elders
Where we pick the weakest candidates to lead the country.
Where the leader of the Labour Party is handmaiden to a right wing plot.
Where the blind see unicorns.
Where liars are respected as visionaries.
Where old Etonians have the back of the poor.
Where former colonies will come back begging for more.
Where fishing is more valuable than finance.
Where making hoovers in Malaysia is more important than making cars in Sunderland.
Where we Take Back Control from our own government and give it to Dublin, Paris and Berlin instead.
Where Brexiteer free traders can't agree deals even within their own team.
Where the 'Conservative' Party is filled with wide eyed, tear it all down revolutionaries.
Where Unionists undermine the Union.
Where Murdoch is an honest torchbearer for Truth and Freedom and the Rights of the Common Man.
Where the formerly pragmatic Telegraph has turned into a propaganda rag.
Where having a vote to confirm the will of the people, to see if they can stomach all this magnificence, would be undemocratic.
– By: LongLongView CIF, 21/08/2019.

(bolded in original)

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

CoolCab posted:

to play devil's advocate, this leads to considerably more drain on the NHS then if you take terrible care of yourself - taking care of the very elderly is incredibly expensive. with that said i can't really ethically recommend anyone eg taking up smoking, fried mars bars and black tar heroin in order to protect the nhs :v:

we could stop medicinal research since new treatment that works is more expensive than old which doesn't

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Borrovan posted:

Not gonna post a link (or read the article) because Express, but my phone just decided I'd be interested in this headline:

Really buried the lede on that one, when tf did we get an elected Government?!

Uh, a few weeks ago you elected ur pm. It doesn't say general elected now does it :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
so what's the chance this is brexit's peak stupid and it'll be better from here on