Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Technically they have a working majority of one but that's counting a suspended Tory MP as one of the opposition. Its really more like a working majority of three.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1157392760112123905
Haha gently caress you Boris bounce.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Junior G-man posted:

Buy a nice ring? I got a really nice one with an emerald for my fiance as a) diamonds are nonsense and b) they wouldn't look nice with her skin tone anyway. The moment you look away from diamonds the price drops by half and it's also much more unique.

Also never ask to marry in a big public place. Give him/her a chance to let you down and not feel pressured.

Sapphire is nice as a main stone. If you want a diamond-lookalike, moissanite is the best substitute (and is better than diamond in a lot of ways).

Seconding no public proposals. Don't be afraid of just proposing at home. It doesn't have to be straight out of a romance film.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Oh, and consider the ring setting if your fiancee enjoys using her hands. Sticking-up stones look good but they catch on everything.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Not So Fast posted:

I'm not Jess's biggest fan but this is what we call a "joke".

It's a joke in the same way that tweeting "so much for global warming!" on a cold day is a joke.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Gavrilo Princip posted:

Good crowd chant of "Burn Boris Burn" going on at Leeds pride and I just heard one of the three homophobic protesters present say "I've had enough" and leave, a decision I attribute to the extremely loud float full of drag queens going by so good job Leeds

Just a load of tank-topped burnboys.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/jessicaelgot/status/1160570412817948673
Top story on the Grauniad right now.

Lucas has really gone down in my estimation recently. It's a sorry state when she's happy to work with the likes of Swinson, Cooper and Justine loving Greening but shuns the idea of a Corbyn-led government.

Also far be it from me to criticise, but I'm not sure a government entirely of women just because "women have shown they can bring a different perspective to crises" is particularly feminist. Theresa May was a woman and she got us into this loving mess. Surely it's just playing to the idea that men and women have inherent qualities arising from their gender rather than being defined by their own political and moral beliefs?

Either way, it's a dumb idea that's just going to lead to a massive sexist backlash and accusations of reverse discrimination.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Comrade Fakename posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/aug/11/who-might-serve-in-caroline-lucass-all-women-anti-no-deal-brexit-cabinet

Love this political fan-fiction. Its headline on the front page is “Fantasy Cabinet”, and “fantasy” is right. The absolute desperation from the Guardian to avoid Corbyn as prime minister, even just a caretaker one, is kind of astonishing. “There must be some way to have an opposition government without involving the leader of the opposition, there must be!”

The desperation is borderline hysterical now. The idea that literally the only representative of a fringe political party should become PM over and above the leader of the opposition is straight out of bizarro-world, there's absolutely no justification for it beyond blocking Corbyn being their totally over-riding concern.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

Home Secretary - Yvette Cooper is the worst one.

Not only because she'd be a bad home secretary, but because they're overlooking the already female shadow Home Secretary who won an award for speaking out against detention without charge and would be better.

It's pretty loving offensive to Diane Abbott that she's the current shadow home secretary but apparently doesn't rate a place in this all-female (and as far as I can tell, all white) fantasy cabinet.

Especially considering the fantasy replacement, Cooper, hasn't even come out in favour of a second referendum. So she's being included purely for being a centrist popular with utter melts.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Cerv posted:

She doesn’t actually say that she’d be unwilling to support Corbyn in government herself, but the other parties won’t so it can’t happen.
Sadly with only one MP the Greens can’t actually make up the difference that Corbyn’s going to fail any vote of confidence by currently.

Why is Thornberry on her wish-list but not Abbott? Why is her fantasy cabinet entirely white?

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Catte taxe:

I know I've shared this link before, but no harm doing it again: this sanctuary in Gloucestershire looks after a number of cats with various disabilities. They're not a charity and rely on donations (they also have an Amazon wishlist https://www.amazon.co.uk/registry/wishlist/2V1KHLYQY0Z8M).

I also bought them some food, so your link posting was worthwhile.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Jedit posted:

A second referendum would always have to be between the proposed outcome of Brexit and calling it off. With Boris in, No Deal is the proposed outcome. The time for faulting FBPEs for suggesting No Deal vs Remain is over.

Why are they suggesting a referendum at all if they think one outcome would be catastrophic?

The answer is they're so phenomenally arrogant they think remain will automatically win, and they want No Deal on the ballot because they think the more damaging the alternative the better remain will do. They're idiots.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Bardeh posted:

So the Lib Dems won't even back an interim government created for the sole purpose of stopping No Deal, because Corbyn Bad? It would do nothing except extend A50 and then hold a general election, as I understand it. This poo poo absolutely boggles my loving mind

The whole thing with Corbyn has been to deligitimize him from the beginning. Somehow despite being elected twice he isn't a proper Labour leader and needs to step down. Now despite getting 40% in an election and being leader of the opposition he isn't a potential prime minister and can't be considered one under any circumstances.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

It's ridiculously improbable because how is that going to happen? Why does Ken Clarke command a majority that Corbyn doesn't?

Clarke would also presumably lose the Tory whip for voting down their government, so he'd be what? An independent prime minister?

It's just so dumb, it's advocating that MPs completely ignore the last election and just pick amongst themselves who gets to run the country.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

So a rough timeline:

1. VONC passes.

2. Vote to install Corbyn as PM fails by tens of votes.

3. Vote to install Clarke/Harman fails by hundreds of votes.

4. Stalemate.

We're going to end up watching the clock tick down waiting to see who will break first, either the Labour leadership or the Lib Dems/Tory rebels.

Downside: the Remain media will 100% try to blame Labour even though the came closest to forming a government.

Upside: the Lib Dems have made remaining at all costs their brand, and the Tory rebels will already be hosed if they've voted no confidence. So they might actually crack first.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1162117238645764101

Something I haven't seen pointed out much is that a caretaker government would exist to call an ELECTION, not a referendum (because they take far too long and could be over-ridden by the subsequent election anyway).

The only realistic outcome of that election would either be Corbyn as PM and a referendum, or Boris as PM and No Deal.

So why the gently caress are the people who want remain arguing about Corbyn being caretaker? Whoever is caretaker, they only get their referendum if Corbyn wins the subsequent election. If they really don't want him as PM then they have to accept a Boris government which will take us out No Deal. Its either/or.

Of course we know that really they would prefer the Tories, just interested in how they justify it.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Angepain posted:

insert jeb bush election map but with Chuka Umunna running simultaneously in every constituency here

Lib Dem majority!

But seriously, what's the endgame for the supposed Tory rebels? After they VONC their government are they hoping it'll get voted back in and carry right on with no deal? Because the only alternative is Corbyn.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/michaelsavage/status/1162125866643705857
So in one fell swoop Corbyn has positioned himself as the main game in town to avoid No Deal Brexit. Almost like it was planned or something.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

wocobob posted:

Ok so second question. Say a VONC passes mid-September. There's a two week period of no government, nobody commands a majority, general election gets triggered. If I'm remembering right, isn't there a fixed length to GE campaigns, like 5 weeks or something? So if the VONC passes/GE gets triggered too late, wouldn't the election necessarily have to be after 10/31?

Also, what's the stuff I've been hearing about Boris somehow gaming the election timing to force it to be after 10/31 anyway?

You answer your own question. If a VONC passes but no alternative government is formed then Boris will be forced to call an election. BUT he'll be under no obligation to extend Article 50 before doing so, meaning we'll crash out at some point during the election campaign.

That's why poo poo is beginning to hit the fan, because everyone who wants to prevent No Deal is starting to see the reality that putting Corbyn in charge is the only way to avoid it.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1162827158865231873
I wonder if it's starting to dawn on people that now Boris is in charge of the Tories, the choice really is between Corbyn and No Deal.

He's positioned himself so well, it's genuinely admirable.

jabby fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Aug 17, 2019

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Halisnacks posted:

So, I totally agree that Corbyn should have the first go at forming a government of national unity with the sole remit of extending the A50 deadline and calling a GE. But am I the only one who thinks it’s so clearly the only good idea to take us off the collision course with No Deal that I don’t care if another caretaker PM does it instead? Harriet Herman really doesn’t strike me as a bad option to literally do two things in a time-limited window if that’s what it takes. Corbyn remains leader of the party and leads the GE campaigning, so I really don’t know what is lost if he can’t execute on his plan but someone else can.

The only reason people don't want Corbyn is because they think being caretaker PM would help him win the election.

Of course if he loses, we end up with Johnson again and we leave with no deal. That will be the choice in the election: a Corbyn government or no deal with the Tories.

So everyone who doesn't want Corbyn as caretaker doesn't really care about preventing no deal, because they want him to lose the subsequent election to Johnson. They just want to seem like they care. So Corbyn should absolutely tell them to gently caress off if they expect him to back someone else.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I don't buy that everyone who doesn't want corbyn doesn't care about no deal. And that wasn't what that dude was saying. I mean they might be wrong, and I think they are, but it doesn't mean they dont care about no deal.

We're heading into an election where the choice will be Corbyn or No Deal. Anyone still trying to harm his chances is basically pushing us towards No Deal.

So who do you think cares? Jo Swinson certain doesn't. Some Lib Dems probably do, but not enough to say anything. I don't really know what the Tory rebels want, except to go back in time and elect someone other than Johnson as their leader. I think they've basically realised it's over at this point.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

baka kaba posted:

Also with Harriet Harman as PM (even temporarily) it would weaken Corbyn's position as leader - same for any non-LOTO caretaker PM, but especially if it's someone within his own party

The whole purpose is to deligitimize him as a leader. The man got 40% of the electorate behind him at the last election for gently caress's sake. May got 42%. The idea that a handful of MPs should get to decide unilaterally that he's an unacceptable choice for PM is bullshit.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1163827025066496002
Doesn't Peston get tired of being wrong all the time?

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Julio Cruz posted:

"I don't think the EU will get rid of the backstop and the EU says they won't get rid of the backstop, but the government says that actually they will get rid of it after all"

like how incredibly dumb do you have to be to write that down and then still decide to tweet it out

Peston has certainly been the most credulous and outright loving wrong major journalist I've seen recently.

I mean it's only a few days since he was saying Corbyn was on the ropes over Brexit and his latest offer of a unity government would horribly backfire.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

WhatEvil posted:

Is it only recently Peston's gone nuts? I seem to remember thinking he was mostly smart/sensible only a few months ago.

I feel like he just has really poo poo sources that constantly tell him how great things are going, and he always believes them.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Jose posted:

well I'd like a costco card and the umbrella companies take a pretty loving huge cut that i can't imagine an accountant would get anywhere near. Idk how much stuff i need to keep to hand but if I can get my driving to/from work covered as an expense that is also another thing worth making a limited company for

You can get an online-only accountant to manage everything involved with being a limited company. They'll set it up on your behalf, send you all the forms you need to sign and tell you how to take your money (dividends vs wages) to maximise what you get to keep. They also don't charge that much.

I did the limited company thing for a while myself while locuming. It definitely feels scummy at first doing the tax-minimizing thing, but when you factor in holiday pay/sick pay/accountant fees you don't really end up making more than an employee.

Oh, and you technically can't claim milage expenses if you're always going to the same place. It's classed as a commute rather than business travel. Although HMRC is really unlikely to dig that deeply if your turnover is the equivalent to one person's salary.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Not So Fast posted:

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1163897106291052544

I can't help but be depressed by polls like this. How the hell do we turn this around? Half of Labour's support has leaked off to the yellow tories it feels.

a) It's YouGov
b) This is the extent of Johnson's new leader bounce
c) Most people haven't figured out yet that the choice will be between a Labour government and No Deal.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

feedmegin posted:

poo poo like this tends to change sharply in the event of an actual election. Especially if it's No Deal versus an option to Remain.

Yeah if we do get an election Labour just needs to point to the fact that unless they form the next government then we're still leaving with no deal. The Lib Dems just don't have a good answer to that.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1163961884225277954
The gently caress?

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

CoolCab posted:

his brain is rotting, we are in full caligula and boy howdy do i sort of get the horse thing now

I genuinely can't tell if he cancelled the meeting because he was serious about buying Greenland or because he's so offended that the Danish PM thought he wanted to buy Greenland. It reads like the first but my brain just can't believe it's true.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/LibDems/status/1164132713605095424
This is just sad, I seriously loving hope no media outlets refer to them as 'shadow ministers'.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/PaulBrandITV/status/1165973177383694338

So in her mind Parliament passes a law delaying Brexit, and then presumably for a second referendum, and Johnson is perfectly happy being the PM who presides over all of that happening.

Her supporters are loving idiots if they think they can force Johnson to be the PM who ran a second referendum, when he could just call an election at any time.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Remember when the Lib Dems suggested Ken Clarke for interim PM, because Corbyn couldn't stop No Deal?

Well Ken Clark would apparently vote for PM Corbyn to stop No Deal.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Apraxin posted:

This definitely isn't an appropriate circumstance for a 'that escalated quickly' joke, but I'm not sure how else to react to this, jesus christ:
https://twitter.com/derangedpoetess/status/1167855630385909760

God-drat. I'm sure he had other reasons for committing suicide but what a loving horrible thing to do to his victims. One final way to twist things back on them and permanently scar their lives.

EDIT
https://twitter.com/derangedpoetess/status/1167884648296222721
It's something, but I can't help but feel mad that it wasn't included in the original news. I get that he was her brother, but she openly admits he hurt people while still trying to whitewash him as still being a good person 'deep down'.

jabby fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Aug 31, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/ToryFibs/status/1167899080325922818
Amazing.