Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
LOL - one of the dirtiest men in British politics says:

quote:

Lord Mandelson: I feel dirty staying in the Labour Party
The Labour peer calls for Jeremy Corbyn to step down

https://www.thejc.com/news/uk-news/lord-mandelson-i-feel-dirty-staying-in-the-labour-party-1.486914

quote:

Lord Mandelson has said he feels “dirty” staying in a Labour Party in which “no effective action” is being taken against people holding antisemitic views.

In a damning new interview, the Labour peer blamed Jeremy Corbyn for allowing thousands of people carrying the “virus” of anti-Jewish racism to join the party and flourish within it.

But he said he intended to stay and “fight to save the Labour Party” insisting, “that is what I devote energy to, every single day.

“Throughout my life I have never known antisemitism, or ‘anti-Jewish racism’ as I prefer to call it, in the Labour Party, but when he became leader there was an influx of thousands of people to the Labour Party membership and, since this time, antisemitism has spread like a virus among Labour Party grassroots, as their use of social media has been exposed.

“It’s a minority, but it’s there, present. Not only have we lost the votes of Jewish people, we’ve lost the votes of many ordinary voters, as well as liberal opinion, people who hate racism, people who followed the Labour Party because they thought of the Labour Party as an anti-racist party.”

etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Julio Cruz posted:

I was just feeding him and started wondering about keeping open tins of cat food in the fridge

like even with the skinniest cat they don't last more than 36 hours and just the idea of that meat and jelly being cold feels wrong somehow

(I promise I am not high right now)

If you don't keep it in the fridge in this hot weather, you might find some extra live meaty chunks in the can

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

forkboy84 posted:

To be fair, I just call that incompetence but I suppose technically it's deeply cynical politicking. One could, if you were incredibly sceptical of the honest intentions of politicians, imagine it's done deliberately to make the public lose faith in public works projects.

I've always understood (since a job I had in the construction industry in the 80s) that it is normal practice to woefully underestimate the cost of major projects precisely because if the true cost were known nothing would ever get approved.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Vile scumbag Alan Sugar:
I've reported this tweet for being offensive (read the comments under it to understand why) Ed: This is the only tweet I have ever reported.

https://twitter.com/Lord_Sugar/status/1156897022265430018

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Aug 2, 2019

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Catte tax:

Gato Resistance” - Puerto Rico 7/2019

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

I would like to see labour co-opt the actual good bits of the greens but I dunno entirely how amenable the whole party would be given that it's arguably more than a little high tory in the "wants to live in a green village forever (by keeping all the paups out)" fashion.

My mother's Green and I think she's fairly typical of Greens round here. She'll go tory rather than labour. She has never voted labour in her life. I rather suspect she has voted tory on a number of occasions and lib dem a couple of times.
She felt sorry for Theresa May and admires 'strong women' (as in Thatcher). She did get somewhat sparkly eyed seeing Emily Thornberry in action at PMQs one time and as I was round hers at the time, asked me who she was.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

ThomasPaine posted:

I'm probably being super racist but I've always wondered about this because as far as I can see she's... not black?

Her mother is African American.

https://www.hellomagazine.com/royalty/2019072075521/meghan-markle-parents-mother-father-details-update/

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

WhatEvil posted:

It's kind of an interesting thing because in some BAME communities there is a hierarchy of 'blackness' where (depending on the community/culture/class etc.) being light or dark skinned is seen as being more desirable.

One of the most shocking things I found in the Middle East is the prevalence of tv adverts for skin bleach "Fair and Lovely" with adverts suggesting that in order to get the good jobs and handsome guys you need to use it. Ironically, it is a Unilever product as is the Dove 'natural beauty' brand.
I'm given to understand it is also heavily pushed in India, Pakistan and other eastern countries.
A Nigerian friend I used to share a flat with told me that dumping yourself in a bleach bath to lighten skin was common in Nigeria when she was young.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

forkboy84 posted:

To can read some incredibly dry history books but political theory just is more of a struggle but I did find Kropotkin's Conquest of Bread both short and simple to understand.

This one is online.
https://theanarchistlibrary.org/library/petr-kropotkin-the-conquest-of-bread

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

XMNN posted:

I've been reading a lot less than I'd like since I started walking so much but I just got the Sherlock Holmes audio book read by history's greatest monster and it's pretty good

didn't even have to give Jeff bezos any money (it's like £70 but you can get it with a free trial??)

turns out Holmes is an extremely coked up racist, who knew

e: 32 is the number of counties there'll be in the free state by this time next year

There was a lot of casual, unconscious racism in books written around that time. Early Agatha Christie novels written in the 1920s also have a casual acceptance of white British superiority evident in the dialogue and some dialogue that is unacceptable these days (especially around descriptions of Jewish people and use of the word 'dago' which also crops up quite frequently.).

This is an interesting article: https://africasacountry.com/2014/03/whitehistorymonth-sherlock-holmes-a-racist

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Aug 4, 2019

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Vaguely related to Tory student chat: when I were a lass extremely many moons ago (500+), they always had these documentaries on TV about students applying to uni (back in the glory days of grants where students were encouraged to live away from home) and without fail there was always a scene with a selection panel interviewing that rare item, a Tory supporter school student. The comments from selection panels were always along the lines of how thoughtful and mature such a student was compared to those of us going on Anti-apartheid and Rock Against Racism demos. (So much for academia being a hot bed of radicalism) and these students always got offered places with lower grade offers than others.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Long but worth a read. Survey of different countries' media views on the UK following the brexit fiasco.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/aug/04/how-does-the-rest-of-the-world-currently-view-the-uk-brexit-boris-johnson

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Hm. Well my experience of people who don't wash is that they stink and just think they don't because they got used to their smell. I had to tell someone in our open plan office once that he needed to take care of personal hygiene (I was quite senior) as he was stinking the place out - I didn't put it as bluntly as that - and others in the office were leaving cans of deodorant on his desk every day as a big hint (which he never got! What his thought processes around people putting deodorant on his desk were, I cannot imagine!)
My dad was from an era when real men didn't use smellies and 'soap and water is good enough' and no it wasn't.

Renaissance Robot posted:

Gonna go ahead and interpret "I don't smell" as "I stink so bad my nose stopped working and people around me are too polite to mention it"

Exactly.

GordonTheDeadFish posted:

Feeling quite poo poo about life at the moment, folks. Recently lost my little brother to a motorbike accident, and even at this bleak time my wretched family can't shut the gently caress up about their awful politics. My mum's partner is peak gammon and has a petulant need to immediately use any lovely slurs he's been asked not to. Even at the wake, my grandad decided to hold forth about how Island Britain has survived before, so no-deal Brexit is fine, really.

Thing is, I've been lurking these threads since the LF days, during Brown's tenure. I've learned a lot, but I'm completely out of step with the people around me. I feel completely alienated from most of the people that should otherwise be my support network.

I've been thinking of trying to get into some local volunteering, just to feel like I'm doing something with all these opinions I've built up. Anyone know of anything around Poole/Bournemouth? I'd join the local Labour party, but everything I've heard about CLP meetings suggests that they're not really a place to go if you're already miserable.

Very sorry about your brother.

Labour party meetings can be very turgid so unless someone knows different, might not be best place to go in your current mood. They might have some socials on though maybe a summer BBQ or similar or stalls you could help out at if you can face the public! (I knew we're always scraping around for people willing to stand in the main shopping thoroughfare for an hour or so on a Saturday morning!)

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Absolutely nothing to indicate that the perpetrator was anything to do with the Labour party, yet they manage to make it sound like the Labour party are running death camps. Getting sick of this. Especially as they haven't opened comments under this article (which is rare for the Independent).

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/antisemitic-jews-dirty-st-albans-police-video-assault-labour-jeremy-corbyn-a9040191.html

Found the twitter feed. More than a few calling him out on smearing labour in this.

https://twitter.com/tswyatt/status/1158475056361680896

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Aug 6, 2019

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

HopperUK posted:

Ugh loving hell I hate to see this poo poo in my city. Some oval office spat on a homeless guy when I was there a couple of weeks ago.

People being vile to each other has increased exponentially since the EU referendum unleashed hell upon the nation.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

radmonger posted:

Except that I don’t believe Labour have actually stated they would campaign against their own deal, only against a Tory one, right?

Yes that's what they have said. Reporters just deliberately muddle it to confuse the populace.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Email sent to all LP members by Corbyn on 9th July this year:

(my bolds/underlines) - obviously I have changed my name to protect the innocent-ish.

quote:

Dear Jaeluni

I am proud to lead the Labour Party – the greatest political party and social movement in this country.

We all recognise that the issue of Brexit has been divisive in our communities and sometimes in our party too.

As democrats, Labour accepted the result of the 2016 referendum. In our 2017 manifesto, Labour also committed to oppose a No Deal Brexit and the Tories' Brexit plans – which threatened jobs, living standards, and the open multicultural society that we as internationalists value so much.

I want to pay tribute to Keir Starmer and the shadow Brexit team for holding the Government to account during this process. That helped secure a meaningful vote on their deal – which we then defeated three times – including inflicting the largest ever defeat on any Government. And following their refusal to publish their legal advice, this Government became the first to be held in contempt of Parliament.

Labour set out a compromise plan to try to bring the country together based around a customs union, a strong single market relationship and protection of environmental regulations and rights at work. We continue to believe this is a sensible alternative that could bring the country together.

But the Prime Minister refused to compromise and was unable to deliver, so we ended cross-party talks.

Now both Tory leadership candidates are threatening a No Deal Brexit – or at best a race to the bottom and a sweetheart deal with Donald Trump: that runs down industry, opens up our NHS and other public services to yet more privatisation, and shreds environmental protections, rights at work and consumer standards.

I have spent the past few weeks consulting with the shadow cabinet, MPs, affiliated unions and the NEC. I have also had feedback from members via the National Policy Forum consultation on Brexit.

Whoever becomes the new Prime Minister should have the confidence to put their deal, or No Deal, back to the people in a public vote.

In those circumstances, I want to make it clear that Labour would campaign for Remain against either No Deal or a Tory deal that does not protect the economy and jobs.

Labour has a crucial, historic duty to safeguard jobs, rights and living standards. But no Brexit outcome alone can do that.

We need a general election. After nine years of austerity, too many people in this country cannot find decent secure well-paid work, and have to rely on public services that have been severely cut back.

Our country is ravaged by inequality and rising poverty, huge regional imbalances of investment, and the government is failing to tackle the climate emergency facing us all.

That is why we need a Labour government to end austerity and rebuild our country for the many not the few.

Signed, Jeremy Corbyn, Leader of the Labour Party

Jeremy Corbyn
Leader of the Labour Party

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

notaspy posted:

I'm a labour member and I never get those emails.

Who should I complain too?

Our CLP secretary who uses the new Organise system to send out emails (which is supposed to be GDPR compliant) told me that there is an issue with some members not receiving emails via that system. He has been trying to find out why.

Suggest you "contact labourmembership@labour.org.uk or call us on 0345 092 2299 (Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm)."

I have seen some of the inner workings of the system and there seems to be a range of tick boxes for whether people want to receive texts, emails or phone calls but one of the people who is NOT receiving the emails has them all ticked.

I think some ISPs have 'aggressive' spam filters and maybe Labour organise mails are falling foul of that. Our sec'y did say there had been a bit issue with one of them ISPs (can't remember which) which Labour HQ had had to sort out.

Ed: two of the people I know aren't getting them in our CLP aren't jewish so there's that theory blown :P

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Good comment under:

https://twitter.com/rodmckie/status/1158521333506027520

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sulphagnist posted:

STEM graduates, particularly engineers, are much more likely to become right-wing extremists, fundamentalists and terrorists than liberal art, social sciences and humanities graduates. Something about seeing human society as a machine or a mechanism with rules, causes and effects instead of the chaotic mess it actually is. Or possibly it's reversed and having a tendency to view things as mechanical is what puts you on both the engineering and terrorism paths.

Shoves PhD in STEM subject behind back of sofa....

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Jose posted:

The new York times has really outdone itself

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/s...ingawful.com%2F

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2019/aug/06/new-york-times-front-page-headline-changed

The New York Times was forced to change its front-page headline for Tuesday’s newspaper amid an intense backlash over its portrayal of Donald Trump’s statement on the twin mass shootings that left 31 people dead.

https://twitter.com/TomJolly/status/1158561438602027009

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

8chan chat:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-texas-shooting-website-idUSKCN1UW1JF

quote:

Founder of site linked to mass shootings says he created 'a monster'

MANILA (Reuters) - The creator of a far-right online message board connected to three mass shootings that killed dozens of people has described himself as “naive and ignorant”, likening the platform 8chan to Frankenstein’s monster, with no limit to its extremism.

Fredrick Brennan, 25, who lives in the Philippines, said the free-wheeling web board he created in 2013 had become a hive of white supremacy, anonymous hate, and Neo-Nazism since he sold it to a fellow American, and said he felt a sense of guilt, “sometimes”.

“If I could go back and not create 8chan at all, I probably would,” he told Reuters in an interview.

U.S. cyber security firm Cloudflare has terminated 8chan as a customer, after a gunman whom authorities believe had posted on 8chan about a “Hispanic invasion” killed 22 people on Saturday at a Walmart store in El Paso, Texas.

The site was also used by a shooter who in March attacked two mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand, killing 51 people and providing inspiration for a shooting a month later of a man at a synagogue in Poway, California.

“It’s gotten to a point where if a mass shooter wants to go to a killing spree, they choose 8chan to post their manifesto,” Brennan said.

8chan’s main page prominently displays the phrase “embrace infamy”, attracting people with deep-seated anger, he said.

“It seems there’s nowhere else to go in terms of how extreme it is.”

Online message board 8chan creator Fredrick Brennan listens to questions during an interview in Manila, Philippines, August 6, 2019. REUTERS/Peter Blaza
Brennan agreed to media interviews because he had hoped to stop 8chan. However, he said the El Paso shooting was the turning-point, rather than the deadlier New Zealand attack.

“I did not call for it to be shut down like I’m calling for it now,” he said.

The site’s owner, army veteran Jim Watkins, is also based in the Philippines. Reuters made repeated attempts to reach Watkins, without success.

‘RABID CONSERVATIVE’
Asked if he had attempted to reach law enforcement authorities to warn them about the dangers of 8chan, Brennan said: “If the PNP (Philippine National Police) wants to talk to me, no problem at all. I will tell them anything I know.”

The PNP on Monday said it was investigating 8chan.

Brennan said he had no qualms about selling 8chan to Watkins who seemed liberal, fun-loving and “pretty chill”. He said he stopped communicating with Watkins after his character changed and he became “a rabid conservative” supporter of U.S. President Donald Trump.

Brennan said he sold the site for both financial reasons and after being overwhelmed as its administrator and having to deal with child pornography, which he had wanted to ban.

“It was getting so difficult to try to control. It’s like letting the mental patients run the asylum,” he said.

“I was having too much mental stress dealing with it.”

Online message board 8chan creator Fredrick Brennan smiles while sitting with his pet dog during an interview in Manila, Philippines, August 6, 2019. REUTERS/Peter Blaza
He added: “It was pretty difficult to be 8chan’s administrator so there is some sympathy I have for them. Of course, that sympathy has its limits.”

Brennan said he had contacted El Paso police offering help in confirming the shooter’s manifesto, based on 8chan archives.

“Whenever there’s a shooting and the details are still fuzzy, I am always worried there’s gonna be an 8chan connection,” he said.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

This is exactly my suspicion.
I was suspicious when more didn't leave with the TIGs. They want the energy of local party members to get them reelected and then do the dirty. This is why it is essential re-selections happen now.

Ed: yes I see this tweet is a year old. But nonetheless I remain very suspicious.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Aug 7, 2019

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Paul.Power posted:

:shrug: It has, admittedly, been 18 years since I was in comprehensive school and 23 years since I was in primary. Which is a depressing thought!

Late to the Mae Hhen Wlad Fy Nhadau party: I learned it in primary school in the Valleys in the 1960s. All I can remember though is that bit, this bit "enwogion o fri " and this bit "Gwlad, Gwlad, pleidiol wyf i'm gwlad,". We also learned Ar Hyd a Nos.

And thanks to whoever recommended these Cities Skylines videos on youtube (sometime this year, can't remember exactly when). I'm finally watching my 'Watch later' collection on youtube since I realized I can watch them on TV when I'm having 'no computer' days.

The two I watched yesterday are these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQzfa4iXxZ4

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rseaKBPkRPU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Klepsie posted:

All right, all right, it's taken over 15 years of Camrath nagging me but drops of water wear away a stone. Here I am. I am his friend who's been having issues with the mental health system. There have been some developments (also a few of Cam's original details are, innocently, a bit inaccurate). If there is interest, I can expand.

I am also advised that I should confess that I don't eat chocolate oranges, or chocolate at all, as part of my gritty smack battle to lose some effing weight. (She says, remembering Camrath's home made fudge guiltily)

Welcome to the forum. I've been here just over a year. It's a good place.

Sorry about your experience with your therapist and hope your developments are good. I'm interested in the developments if you are ok posting them (which you might have done already, I'm catching up after 2 days offline).

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Also smh. Having had a 'heated discussion' with a friend a few weeks ago who told me that nazism was socialism because they had 'socialist' in the name and when I challenged her said what do I know, she has a GCSE in History from over 25 years ago. And that, dear reader, is when her reading of history stopped.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

StarkingBarfish posted:

People who think this aren't either hiking or drinking themselves to exhaustion enough to appreciate just passing the gently caress out under the stars. Or the sound of rain on a tarp, or the sound of whatever that animal was rooting through your backpack at 3am.

Party Boat posted:

We camped near Kielder observatory a couple of years back for the height of the Perseids. Got a really clear night for it and saw loads of meteors as well as satellites whizzing past. Unfortunately our small elderly dog hated that we'd dragged her out camping and got revenge by being sick on the air bed.

Camping in the White Desert (Western Egypt) we had little fennec foxes rooting through our stuff.
We saw so many meteors too - hundreds of miles from anywhere except a couple of small oasis towns.
Even out there though we were able to get a mobile phone signal - not strong, just enough to text people to say we were ok or make short, factual calls.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Oh my

https://twitter.com/DavidB45212563/status/1159850299953156098

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

Didn't they do the rounds in his constituency after he won the leadership and he was really popular there?

Which I mean, you might expect from how long he's been an MP.

Not only that, but he is a very good constituency MP.
Persistant, dogged, determined... in one of my working capacities I (or rather my boss) was on the receiving end of Corbyn doing his 'dog with a bone' stuff! He was on the case constantly.
To say more would be to doxx myself.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Suitable news item for this thread.
No beans were harmed in this making of this news item.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/ian-watkins-lostprophets-phone-prison-16727554

quote:

Former Lostprophets frontman Ian Watkins has been found guilty of possessing a mobile phone while in prison.

The 42-year-old disgraced child sex offender from Pontypridd hid a mobile phone inside his anus so prison officers wouldn't find it and prevent him from seeing his mum, who was visiting from Wales.

The phone was found on Watkins in HMP Wakefield, West Yorkshire, where he is serving a sentence for sex offences.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

bump_fn posted:

lmao wtf is number 11

Chancellor of the Exchequer's place. Minister for the Poonds.

Ed: beaten by several others.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Klepsie posted:

Catching up too. Oddly enough yesterday's events stole pretty much every spoon in the cutlery drawer. But if I don't bring things up to date now I never shall (and will probably never even post again) SO.

Couple of mistakes in the OP: I don't know for sure it was a transphobic attack, as I couldn't decipher any of the words he yelled at me. (But FWIW my empirical experience -- sample size 1 -- this sort of thing happens WAY more when I have my hair an outrageous colour than its normal mouse, and I dyed it purple at the weekend)
I wasn't walking down the street, I was unloading beer from my van (standing in between the open back doors, so good luck to any CCTV cameras trying to see the incident)

Right, so then, after my post yesterday the therapist rang me up and tried to tell me I had "misinterpreted" her. And honestly I don't know what to think or believe. My thought processes go something along these lines:

On the one hand, I do know that when I am badly depressed, I am prone to flying to conclusions and putting the worst possible interpretation on everything.

On the other hand, I don't see quite how I could read her words any other way.

On the other other hand, I have been gaslighted by people who could gaslight for England (I had this one ex, who's been dead for twenty years but whose spectral hands I still feel all over my life) and I may be hypersensititve in this regard.

On the other other other hand, I am generally an easy going and forgiving type, but I have (at least) one hard barrier, and I'm hosed if anyone is ever going to gaslight me again.

On the other other other other hand, I second guess myself too much.

On the other other other other other hand, or maybe too little.

On the other other other other other other hand, I also steal jokes from Bill Bailey.

I am getting a referral to the urgent mental health team. This doesn't mean I'm about to be sectioned, right? Right?

(She told me to stay by my phone because they would ring me up before 5pm, but to my secret relief they didn't. This means I can't hear from them till Monday, and since I'm about to bugger off to Dublin for the worldcon that will give me more time still to get over all this bullshit.)

Thanks to all who have commented, welcomed me, made helpful suggestions and not turned me into a shitpost meme.

Thanks for sharing.
I do understand your 'gaslight' attitude, I have an overdeveloped 'control freak' detector for similar reasons.
Worldcon? Were you at Ytterbium per chance? I did think about Dublin but am rather skint at the moment.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Julio Cruz posted:

being that Epstein was (allegedly) a purveyor of underage girls to the world's elite there are quite literally hundreds of people who would rather see him dead than alive and testifying

for whichever screws got to work on his section it must have been like a silent auction

Hadn't really read much about him only headlines before but just done a bit more reading here:

https://www.townandcountrymag.com/society/money-and-power/a28352055/jeffrey-epstein-criminal-case-facts/

quote:

Epstein himself apparently had several scientific theories, including eugenics. The New York Times has uncovered that one ambition he discussed was to impregnate multiple women, thereby spreading his DNA. One account claimed his plan was for 20 women to bear his children, and that his ranch in New Mexico would be a base for this operation. This may have been part of his interest in transhumanism, the study of how to improve the human population through technologies like genetic engineering and artificial intelligence.

etc

Don't know how reliable this source is though.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Black metal cat says Hail Satan

More pix of this devil worshipping cat here:

https://www.purrworld.com/this-cat-keeps-putting-its-paws-in-the-air-and-nobody-knows-why/

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Comrade Fakename posted:

The arrogance of minting coins to celebrate something they know full well half the country doesn’t want to happen is infuriating.

Wasn't there some grand plan for national street parties too?

:cry:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

East of lake poo poo?

Cheese and onion cakes :D

ed: my favourite cheese is gjetost - caramelized goat cheese, lovely with a good, seeded / multigrain bread.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Aug 11, 2019

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Classical music chat:

You're reminding me of a boyfriend I once had. He was always trying to impress me (god knows why because he was entirely gorgeous and I just liked looking at him but I digress). He was plucking out a tune on his guitar which he said he was composing for me. Then he said "Of course, I was classically trained."

Now, I'm from one of those 'impoverished intellectual' backgrounds where we were all forced to do violin and piano lessons as kids. (I enjoyed piano and loathed violin). So instead of being suitably impressed, my youthful, ignorant, response was "isn't everyone?" (At that time in my young, innocent life I had never come across people who hadn't been forced through this process). Oh dear.

Tsietisin posted:

I would join you but the wife's father has had a heart attack so we are with him at hospital. Hopefully be there for the next one.

Sorry to hear this, I hope he will be ok.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Junior G-man posted:

Offa's Dyke trip report, day one:

Absolutely stunning walk along the Wye, up and down the river valley with a little side trip to Tintern abbey where I had small Wordsworth nerd-out.

Hike: 8/10 but it was a very long day
Weather: 4 out of 10, got caught in two absolute downpours and wrung out my pants upon arrival.

Not far from me - it piled it down today. I managed to get to the shops and buy some snacks in between rain storms. My mum's house is 100 yards from Offa's Dyke (on the England side).

AceOfFlames posted:

Is there any exercise routine that is like the equivalent of what you would give to a person recovering from a decades long coma?

Preferably bodyweight only so that person doesn't have to show up to a gym and have everyone laugh at them, especially since most of his coworkers are attempting to convert the entire workplace into the CrossFit cult?

Asking for a friend.

Depending how comatose: I endeavour to walk a couple of miles every day (and quite often do 6 miles). Anyway, today I decided to start mixing in a little running - and I mean a little. I used to enjoy running until my knee decided to complain (old injury). I thought today about mixing in a bit of scout's pace: there's a bit of my routine walk that is a 5 min stretch of straight path so I did a 10 paces on/off scout's pace for that. I think I'll do that for a week and see if my knee complains and if it doesn't, I'll add a second 5 min stretch (I have a convenient park nearby with straight sides approx 5 mins each). Etc. It's all bodyweight and no gym. And as long as you have decent trainers on, no need for any special clothes.

Page Snipe:

'83 is an upcoming Indian Hindi-language sports drama film,

Catte taxe:

I know I've shared this link before, but no harm doing it again: this sanctuary in Gloucestershire looks after a number of cats with various disabilities. They're not a charity and rely on donations (they also have an Amazon wishlist https://www.amazon.co.uk/registry/wishlist/2V1KHLYQY0Z8M).

http://www.complicatedcats.com/home.html

quote:

This is the website for our small independent cat sanctuary. We care for a mix of felines. Some with special needs and some that just couldn't cope in regular homes.
Life with our cat family takes 24/7 dedication. It can be financially and emotionally draining. They are worth it.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Aug 11, 2019

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Ms Adequate posted:

I bought some food for the cattes :kimchi:

Thanks :) I follow them on facebook and buy their calendar every year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

£v $ went down to 1.20182 this evening for a short while, lower than the previous post EU referendum rate which was 1.20390 of 16th Jan 2017.

Late 1984/85 it got lower than this because the dollar was very strong. Now, the dollar isn't that strong and the £ is very weak.

Euro briefly went down to 1.06439 this evening just before far east markets opened and that is the lowest for at least 10 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gACCCmFKP80