Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

This tropical depression wannabe hanging out just off FL can already gently caress right off t:mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

This should be roughly the minimum cover for the year, right? I remember doing a normalized index for ice cover and being able to show a decline mathematically, when comparing numbers (derived from satellite data) from recent years to numbers from years further back. I want to say it was the same platform (LandSat 8, maybe?), so it’s not like we were using different sensors that may read slightly different...

:smith:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Yea it’s not a matter of belief, it’s a matter of understanding. Our generation’s kids are going to be loving pissed once they’re old enough to understand how badly their grandparents hosed up the planet.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Ken Bone Comeback posted:

Yeah, buddy. Never mind about the globe spanning all powerful oil&gas multinationals. The real money is in being an oceanography grad student

:smith: that was my program before going into a GIS certificate program. 3 graduate-level oceanography courses at the same time is...a bit much, to say the least.

A Bad Poster posted:

I like asking climate deniers when the last time they saw a lightning bug was, that usually shuts them up for a few seconds.

I don't remember the last time I saw one, and now I'm sad :(

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Vasudus posted:

I suppose in the good news category, the invisible hand of the free market just went so far up 8Chan's rear end they can...taste the ring? gently caress I'm not good at these things but they're getting rightly turbofucked. Apparently the anti-DDoS service that hosts such treasures as the Daily Stormer that 8Chan moved to just had their own access cut off at the backbone level or some poo poo. I don't know it's levels of levels of corporations going 'woah now, I guess hosting this stuff isn't cool after all' like some kind of hosed up game of hot potato.

Cue weeping, wailing, and gnashing of teeth; the rest of the world looked upon these works, and saw that they were good.

https://www.businessinsider.com/8chan-el-paso-shooting-daily-stormer-cloudflare-bitmitigate-voxility-2019-8

Note that The Daily Stormer (a nazi website connected to the Charlottesville riot) appears to have gotten caught in the crossfire and also shot down :getin:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

They'll evolve to be whales, then there'll be whalers on the moon...who carry a harpoon...

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

Huh. Thats not someone I'd have bet on...

Same. I wonder how much is going to come through untainted after all and said and done?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

drat :catstare:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

He's in the same story as a shitload of monsters, and there's no protagonist. It's monsters all the way down.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Laverne and Shirley send their love to whoever wants it.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I haven’t seen that much disrespect to the laws of physics since the space shuttle.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Yes, yes, everything is fine. No spike in cancer here, no lead-lined coffins, none of that that anyone saw and lived to tell about

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Isn’t this banned for being cruel, unusual, and excessive? Think of how many Chuck E Cheeses marines are going to be banned from after getting drunk on this :stare:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Stravag posted:

Oh god i don't. Id laugh at his voice if i was high enough and theres no telling what he would do

If he gets hungry, you'd have to watch out for your ears :gonk:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

That’ll change with the climate :dadjoke:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Rare good news: I just noticed that all of Tool’s albums are currently on the iTunes Store. I guess they finally changed their minds about selling their stuff online?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

If they die of something other than suicide, the problem is solved! :chaostrump:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

FAUXTON posted:

bunch of real self-starters

Boooooooooo

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

oh, he got caught with his dick in the honeypot

Who didn't, at this point? :v:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

FAUXTON posted:

I sent them a 5 lb bag of sugar free gummi bears and told them it's What Real Troops Eat on the gift note

Outright malicious :stare:

Old Boot posted:

EDIT: Just to be clear, I'm glad he's dead.

:same:

I’ll do a happy dance today :)

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Unless you’re Dick Cheney, and have hidden your horcruxes well.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Motherfucker I wanted to be the first space pirate :argh:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Elmnt80 posted:

I wanna see that defense lawyer argue that nobody had jurisdiction over her since she was in loving space.

If this happens, I need it recorded. It’ll be the birth of space-flavored sovcits. What’ll the equivalent to admiralty law be? Do all flags on board have to be gold-fringed? Is docking the equivalent of joinder?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Cheney's last horcrux is probably the heart he stole; 2 other people had to die (one waiting on a transplant, and the heart donor) that he could live on as a malevolent shade.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Broke: transplanting organs into your failing body
Woke: transplanting yourself into a healthier body

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I want to get into cooking lionfish (we kill plenty of them in south FL), but cleaning a fish is something that I just can’t get past.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Stravag posted:

Lion fish is the super poisonous spiny things or am i thinking of the wrong thing? Are those worth eating? They dont look like theres much on them

Venomous. It’s only in the spines, so you cut them off and there’s nothing left there to hurt you. And some of the fatter ones absolutely have good fillets on them :stare:

e: they’re supposed to cook up like flounder. And the invasiveness can’t really be overstated. They eat the fish that scrape algae off the reefs, so the fish population takes an initial dive from the young being hunted then takes a harder hit when the reef itself is smothered and dies off. In addition to tourist stuff (diving, snorkeling, fishing, etc), the reefs also act as a break for incoming storm surge. Together with the mangroves, they provide a decent bit of storm surge protection for whatever is behind them, when a hurricane strikes here. Those reefs have other stressors too (rising temps, ocean acidification, over-exploitation, and general marine debris accumulating on them), but lionfish manage to be the most immediately dangerous organism to our reefs here. FWC sponsors derbies for them throughout the year, there was one in the Panhandle that saw people bring back over 20,000 lionfish in a short span.

Icon Of Sin fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Aug 27, 2019

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Some dive shops will let you dive for free if you dive with a speargun and kill any lionfish you come across.

Then there’s this, which of course comes from Florida.

https://youtu.be/6lG-snJZIV8

:cripes:

Pole spears are ~$40, and the cleaning of that weapon afterwards has to be hellacious :gonk:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Aug 2019 Current Events Thread: It's hot and the nipples angle is just not something I would've though to pursue

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Hurricane Dorian is expected to be a major hurricane when it lands in central FL Monday-ish. If you’re down here, keep an eye on nhc.noaa.gov. Current cone extends from Miami to the south end of GA, but that’ll focus down once Maria Dorian passes through Puerto Rico.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

wheres mar a lago

Just outside the cone on the south :argh:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

shame on an IGA posted:

I had 3" of water inside my house in SC last year when Florence dumped 29" of rain in 24 hours, began preparations today.

I was in Wrightsville Beach for a job interview just before that hurricane landed, and lived in Wilmington for the previous few years. gently caress that hurricane. I get mad and weepy just thinking about the hurricane flags flying on Wrightsville a week before, let alone going on a Team Rubicon deployment to a place I'd adopted as my home after getting out of the army. Team Rubicon says that 948 of you glorious bastards came to give us a hand, which I can only repay by going on future deployments with them :unsmith:

https://teamrubiconusa.org/operations/operation-silver-sun/

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Would a hard Brexit be the final kick to jump-start this recession everyone is scared of? Seems like things would always take a dive just before, then settle out once the brits had managed to finagle more time (until next time).

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I’ve been using the NOAA app “NHC Data”. It’s all the same products, just put into something mobile-friendly. It may cost a buck or two? Idk, I thought it was worth it.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

That’s really loving cool. Good luck on this (and your future) flights.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Party Plane Jones posted:

i'm sad that we never ended up getting the a-10 thunderhog as a replacement for the t-28 they were running through hail storms a decade ago

as far as i know the test plane is still sitting in storage somewhere while they figured out funding for completion/who would actually fly the thing

Sitting in storage in CO, I think. Such a solid plane and good idea :smith:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I interviewed for NOAA Corps a few years ago, and that was something they were definitely looking for. Boat/ship experience, dive experience, and GIS stuff seemed like their top criteria (outside of leadership experience, of course). That was in mid-2016, so it may have changed a bit since.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

That’s more or less exactly what it is. There are 7 uniformed services, but only 5 military; NOAA and the Public Health Corps round out the last 2.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

It’s a 22 miles south of Jupiter, where the hurricane is currently expected to make landfall :laffo:

e: I did driving distance, straight line is probably what ^ said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Christ, it’s another Florence type hurricane. Florence was only a cat1 when it landed, but it dropped 2ft of rain on N.C. because it decided to hang out for nearly a week straight. Someone there died because he cleaning his yard after the storm, and he happened to have a cut on his leg when he stepped in some of the water; it got massively infected to the point the docs amputated it to try and save him, but the infection had already spread and dude died.

e: stay the gently caress out of floodwater, everyone.

https://spectrumlocalnews.com/nc/charlotte/news/2018/09/26/wilmington-man-dies-from-infection-sustained-during-florence