Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
What are the rewards in general for challenges in Evolve? I'm not actually 100% on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Captain Foo posted:

re: alkahistorian -

why does my nexus reset every so often and delete all my alkahest?

The story has the answer to this--it's unstable and blows up if you get too much.

Alkahistorian is a puzzler in incremental clothes, I really enjoyed it.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Anfauglir posted:

Hey maybe this is a dumb question but, uh, how do you use the black marker?

automatically

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

very nice little game, yeah

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Much, much shorter though, I ripped through the whole thing in a day. Lot of fun though. Does a fantastic job of making me think about the narrative of the processes it's doing, even without any actual text of the sort.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

dis astranagant posted:

Not sure what I'm suppposed to do next

Turn on one gate at a time. You'll need to close one to change to another.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Len posted:

The Ensign was made by the guy who did the ports of A Dark Room. He got real pissy when it tanked in comparison and he had to go get a job again

wasn't the alternate ending also made by that guy and thus isn't in the web version because the web version understands that implication and understatement can be better storytelling than hammering it in

I've never played the mobile ports so

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Yeah, grinding out the gravitonic meta challenge was a lifesaver for me. Flipping through the discord it sounds like the developer wasn't personally bothered by the late automation and didn't realize that it's a serious issue until releasing it. It sounds like making it more accessible that way is on the table but for now there's a lot of spam you have to do.

i don't mind as much as I might just because it's an extremely active game (I would be loathe to call it an idler at all) but it's deffo the worst part of the game.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Gravitonic meta-challenge gives you the autobuyer for gravitonic upgrades. It's not feasible until you're fairly deep into the next layer (which feels really good for those leaps forward).

Also for, I think, 10k shards you can get the 'gain gravitons as soon as you can without reset' from the automation shop; this is worth getting as soon as that amount sounds like something you can feasibly grind out. That and buy max makes things less painful cause you can just click in to gravitons and mash M a few times but the autobuyer is where it's at.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

You can do it at 4-5 cp into Atomic-- what it really takes is manually running photonic resets for a while. I set up a macro on my mouse to chain hitting 1 and P to help me squeeze it out early. You will want/need the full neutronic path down the four-way split in the vacuumic tree as well-- grind up neutronic dimensions and build up as many stars as you can. You will also obviously want your temperature running as hot as possible. Green waves over a hundred helps a ton, as do your other waves.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Feline Mind Meld posted:

I feel like i'm stagnating in matter dimensions

Getting close to atomic, but i can't get the exponented grativic challenge finished and having to do 15 resets per upgrade is getting really tedious. Do i get the thing with vacuumic challenges and see if I can knock them out? Whats the correct 4split to take? do I need to do a long run with lots of temp?

i'd prefer not to add another idle discord to my poo poo because i get tired of all the gat dang pings

I don't get many pings from their discord, if that helps.

If you want to farm shards prior to breaking infinity, take the middle branch on the three-way split.

Anyway your target is 24 theorems. Go down the matter branch at the 3-way, allocate your neutrons, and hit a photonic reset. This should give you a bunch of 3rd dimensions for theorems. Then respec your theorem tree. Go down the gravitonic branch on the 3way, pause to pick up the "unused theorems give you extra cap" on the way down, then take the 3rd (gravitonic) branch on the 4 way.

Once you have done that, farm some waves and run your temperature as hot as you can stand it. Then once you've done that, just run photonic resets for a while until you can break infinity and go atomic.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Kyrosiris posted:

I dunno how anyone functions on Discord without the first thing you do on a new server being changing the notification settings to "only @mentions, suppress @everyone and @here".

I mean I like to know when these games update and some just do it with an @here rather than a role, which is fine, if that's the only thing you use @here for, which it should be

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Skip the first two and try the rest out for size. I forget which you can do right away but you'll be able to tell immediately if you can.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

oh god that's so much better in jealous of people starting now (but not so jealous as to hard reset)

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

MattDarling posted:

I do agree with everybody's criticisms of the game, of course. Especially since offline earning needs to be unlocked through ascension, so you spend a really long time just running the game and developing a Pavlovian response to Golden Cookies.

I am very much waiting for someone to update frozen cookies because noooo, cookie monster is too good to have an auto gold cookie clicker in it blargh

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

I'm playing Elethor as neongrey if someone wants to scoop me up.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Why aren't my planks automating???

e: nvm figured it out. lack of text while cute hurts a lot

neongrey fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Oct 8, 2021

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Somfin posted:

So I finally tried Mine Defense and my goodness it is a good idling time, but at some point the slow pace of it burnt me out. Evolve did the same thing, unfortunately. I'm really into substantial paradigm shifts but something about the whole "yeah this'll take five hours of keeping the tab open (and these days, active) can really kick me out of the game.

I really liked Prestige Tree; are there any other high-activity paradigm-shift-y games out there at the moment?

try Matter Dimensions, after the initial hump it's got very little required downtime. development seems dead since its been like a year but it's got a good lot of content

I've been replaying it since reinstalling windows lately, I think it's maybe my favourite incremental

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

nrook posted:

I recently had a good time with Orb of Creation. What are some of other people’s favorite short incremental games? The only other one I’ve played is the paperclip one (which was also quite good).

i just replayed Endless Stairwell which is great fun. I stress it's incremental but not meaningfully idle at all.

The alkahistorian games are good too

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

ErIog posted:

It's everything everyone says they hate about incrementals, but paradoxically everyone who says they hate those things also plays Evolve.

thats how you know their hate is well founded and understood-- it comes from somewhere

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

oh wow that's really thoughtful in a genre that just yolos it way too often, yeah, I'll nibble on that

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Oenis posted:

Didn't see this get posted yet, but there's a new casual browser incremental that I had fun with for the past 2 days, so far I'm 8 layers deep and there's still more. It's not the most original, but it's not the most bland either. I wish there was a bit more automation, but it's fine.

https://demonins-item-shop.demonin.repl.co/games/dodecaDragons/

oooo, i took one look at the style and went 'wait, is this by the endless stairwell guy'? and it is, hell yeah. I loved that game. Very much incremental not idler but I like my games active.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

so ive been playing theresmore for a while now, it's been scratching a good itch for me to poke at, but the dumbest thing happened

so when your scouts go out and come back, one of the failure messages is like "your scout committed suicide out of shame at not finding anything", which I was like, yeah that's kind of lovely, so I go to the subreddit and make a post about it, very breezy, nothing judgey, asking that it be changed. Dev agrees, says it'll be changed next update. Yay!

Then this jackass is so extremely not mad about it that he responds to say how hilarious the message is and that I should grow some balls, which like my guy I'm trying but i need professional installation. He then continues to be so not mad about it he spams like three consecutive memes about scouts across the subreddit :jerkbag:

anyway that's my Theresmore story

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

There's some randomization in enemy quantities, as I understand it.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Cobalt60 posted:

I saw this unfold over there. I remember thinking that the Dev response was very reasonable and open-minded. OFC there has to be some redditor who feels a driving need to push back against simple human empathy.

I mean... if the joke was FUNNY, sure, maybe, but it's a total throwaway.

I know, right? Last I saw he was sending me chat requests, but nothing since. Which, you know, wise call; I'm happy to let him embarrass himself in public since literally no one seems to be taking him seriously, but if he wants to escalate poo poo over a literal single line of text, lmao

quote:

This was the last time I built or used Spies. I have no idea if they have any other function.

Yeah, spies are in no way worth it if you know what the fights are, and well:

here's a super helpful spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Q3LTRUIgLY8IJcgmC8wV0WmilUj4m4b5VhGQ9ko-MN4/edit#gid=1076167362

Very important to note that the 'strong against' bonus works both for and against you. In particular if an enemy runs really any amount of shock at all, you want zero tanks. Get your defense from heavy warriors or knights instead. So much as a single spearman will double the attack of the entire shock component. (similar for all other types, but tanks vs shock is the one that'll really get you).

it's not a super well designed game lmao, but i'm enjoying it. If for no other reason than every now and again the phrasings of some of the lines make me go 'wow i know 4x as a genre is really ideologically suspect but holy unexamined biases batman i should really make my own civ builder with blackjack and communism' and one day that will push me over the edge.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Rynoto posted:

Just play Evolve instead if you haven't. Same idea with far more content and a usable UI.

i do not like evolve at all, and its mostly for indefinable reasons like 'idk feels bad'

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

the requirement is 200k, yes. you get some very large bumps.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

you really want to not run any tanks at all for the vast majority of opponents, it'll crank their attack sky high

it's a truly dumb system

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

eh, they probably deserve it.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

the other thing too is that once you get a couple bonuses in them, shock and rider both will provide more defense than tanks. there is very rarely a reason to use tanks

ranged can work as fill for riderless enemy comps in the rare occasion where you're fighting tank+shock combos like anything with trolls in it. either way pure shock and pure rider formations are generally the way to go ime

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

yeah it's worth checking on the spreadsheet, just add 1 of a class to see if it spikes the numbers too high. my objection to tanks specifically is that shock components are almost always a significant part of the attack, so doubling with tanks will add thousands of attack sometimes

as for monks, they're cheap but monks they come at the opportunity cost of sharing purchase currency with battle angels, so I'm not hiring the bmx bandit

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

put in a join request as neongrey

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

applied phrenology

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

I think I might be done with Ironwood, I'm just not engaged.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

DontMindMe posted:

Free up that guild spot!

Oh, there, found the spot for it-- I missed it at first. Done and done.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

im gonna be honest i have no idea what anyone saying dodecadragons is slow is talking about; some bits are slower than others but it was the one incremental game that during development, when an update hit, i would just start over from hard reset and be back up to content in like two days

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Arcanuse posted:

Cough small still-alive update for Theresmore with a Grab-bag of military techs and one new building. Next Era continues to be worked on.

man I kinda liked that game I might look at it again soon

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Turtle game seems pretty cute so far for such an early game. I didn't have any trouble learning about things like equipment upgrading or chests; the tooltips all seemed fairly clear for me. Maybe those weren't in yet when you all who had trouble tried. Seems to be a fair bit of weaving back and forth to farm stuff for crafting with though. I'm okay with it occupying a window for now.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Jabor posted:

Are the various Treasure and Collectible items used for anything (other than the first copy of each collectible going in your collection)? Or are they just money with extra steps?

each one adds a small bonus for being in your collection but once they're in they're cash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

I wanted the purify skill to actually purify things.

if you mouse over the effects there are a couple that specifically say 'cannot be removed'