Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Of the 'quick winnable games', Paperclips, Spaceplan and Potatoz were ones that I played an enjoyed.

After avoiding NGU since it's launch basically, I finally looked into it a month ago and I'm hooked. The progression curve is surprisingly well handled (minus the beginning) for a 'long' idle game unlike something like AdCap. Join the Discord and ask about the secret channel.

thank you 4G I'll take my payment now in AP

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

NGU on Kartridge: is the stapler meant to not actually be part of Jake's set? Or, near as I can tell, any set?

Not part of the set. Around that point, I've discovered that the rarer dropping accessories don't need to be maxed for the set bonus (thank god). You can check it in the Item List and hover over the set pieces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Eldercain posted:

The stapler is something you'll use in the endgame for a long long time so hold onto it

Aurgh thank you for letting me know. I was getting ready to get rid of it for more inventory space. All these random boosts in my inventory on accessories that isn't pure stats, I've been unsure if I need to hang on or not. Wandoos speed + Adv Training speed? (King Circle Amulet) NGU Speed? (Regular Tie)

I don't understand what Respawn does on the stapler?

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

pixaal posted:

the surge of new games was one of the reasons for making a new thread

Naw it's cause something paid people off to make a stealth NGU advertising thread.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Jon Joe posted:

For some reason I have the desire to create an idle game about upgrading the UI.

Chakan posted:

I played a game on Kongregate about this probably a decade+ ago. Can’t recall the name at all though.

Re: Realm Grinder UI. The new one looks bad, but it’s really whatever. My big issue is the legibility of certain text being pretty poor. The old UI was ugly, but it made no bones about looking good and it was very legible to me.

Upgrade Complete and its sequel? I remember enjoying that game. Not an idle game though.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

NGU

Just beat UUG for the first time and unlocked beards. It took a 5 day rebirth to get me up to speed. I just want to make sure I do everything I need to do before falling back into rebirth cycle. Farm one of each of his rings and then hop back in the tube to rebirth?

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

comingafteryouall posted:

I'm running NGU in chrome and it seems like it's running significantly worse since the last update. Anyone else experience this or should I be poking around on my computer to solve the problem?

I've noticed this the last two days, but I wasn't sure if it's because I had NGU on a 2nd screen while also playing TI on twitch while I played a videogame on my main screen.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

NGU:

Need some advice on what my next goal/power spike is to be. I spent last week farming to kill UUG and get one of each ring. Now I've been doing Basic Challenge loops (13/25, I can knock one out in 3-3.5 hours). Besides my one 24 Hour Challenge, I have nothing else. Is there a one-off of a challenge I can do that will give me a decent boost (No Augs, 100 Level, No Equips, Troll, No RB, Blind, No TM)? I'm at 9 mil E and 2 mil M (about 30-40 mil E/ 4-6 mil M with equips at 100%, can't be arsed to do the math). Doing the Basic Challenge loops has been nice because I can drop like 1 mil energy into each NGU and 1 mil into NGU Magic Ygg and Magic and still have enough to knock off the challenge. I also wouldn't mind something less finicky (24 hour rebirths because work is about to get busy and drat me if I can touch the game every hour like I have been doing). What are my options after I finish all my Basic Challenges? I felt pretty far from being able to farm Beardverse/UUG considering it took me a 5 day RB just to get up to speed. Is it maybe because my NGUs are low?

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Hughlander posted:

How do you get back in NGU I played it for a moth hardcore a year ago now I have no muscle memory and the tutorial is long gone.

Join the Discord and bug people a lot. Worked for me

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Falcon2001 posted:

So I'm at the exact same point and the advice in discord was to just do 24 hour rebirths and push on BEARd until you can do Beardverse. I suspect that I should probably be doing some more challenges myself.

Appreciate it. Thanks.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

interrodactyl posted:

How do I get in the NGU-related discord?

Curse 4G 3x in front of a mirror and then PM him

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Mr Scumbag posted:

OP reminded me of Shark Game so I clicked the link to see if I still had a save.

I don't even remember if these numbers are good, it's been so long (Looks like it was early in a run, which sucks):

So what about Clickraid2, is that any good?

It's doesn't really matter because the power ramp in Shark Game is great and after many resets you end up being able to reset and max out really quickly really fast. Shark Game doesn't overstay its welcome and that's what makes it great.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Congrats 4G

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Siamang posted:

I'm playing this on Kongregate and all of the bosses after 151 are still the question mark images even though the game is listed as build 1.000 -1. Anyone else encountering that?

Intended. You unlock that lore once you make it to Evil difficulty. Or so I'm told. I haven't made it that far yet...

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Saraiguma posted:

what do I lose out on by closing NGU as opposed to leaving it open?

Drops

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Known bug? No NGU challenge run:

When I eventually unlock Time Machine on the RB, dropping E/M in it does nothing. I have to reset my E/M for it to turn on. Yes I am adventuring in a zone.

It has happened to me all 3 times I've attempted No NGU run.

Xtanstic fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Nov 19, 2019

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Oh dang I never realized that was even a thing. That must be it. My gold must be getting eaten up by my augs and never being dumped into my TM.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Omi no Kami posted:

With Yggdrasil is it more optimal to pour all of my seeds into maxing Pomegranate first, or will the sharply climbing costs mean that I get more seeds over time by keeping every fruit roughly at seed cost parity?

Max Fruit of Gold first because the cost is cheap, then max Pom. That's the optimal route. I will admit to putting a couple of levels here and there just because it's nice to collect some fruits after waking up or coming home from work.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

something posted:

Okay I lied and belted this overhaul out today. The change is happening for this upcoming update in a week. There's an rc in my testing grounds on kongregate if you guys would be willing to test! Info on what i changed is on the dirscord but tl;dr:

All 20/25 max completion challenges are now 5
24hour challenge is now max of 10
challenges rewards all scaled upwards accordingly
no rebirth target got shifted up 5 on top of the scaling multiplier.

fake edit: your current completion counts will also be converted to an approximate equivalent, you MAY lose a little bit of bonus stats from said challenges depending on how it rounded.

any questions, just lemme know.

I've been procrastinating on finishing my challenges. Thanks for motivating me. I'm glad my intermittent bitching in Discord has yielded something!

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Omi no Kami posted:

So the troll challenge is honestly the most anti-fun thing I have ever seen in an idle game. If your intent was to make me stop playing your game, you succeeded admirably. :)

Ironically, after you get more experience with Troll, it ends up being one of the funner challenges compared to the lovely grind of the other ones (see our constant bitching and 4g finally revamping them).

The general tip for Troll is to consider it a speedrun and that you should be knocking one off in 30ish minutes. 1 hour upper limit probably. Rebirth every Big Troll. If you can't do it under those conditions, quit the challenge and come back when you are stronger (more E/M and NGUs)

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Omi no Kami posted:

Thanks for the advice, but I think I'm going to throw in the towel- at its best NGU is really awesome (and I appreciate the heck out of all the work Something is putting into the game and its community), but it's done several things that really severely rub me the wrong way. I've found constantly resetting my number for obnoxious and frustrating challenges and spending days leaving the game running tedious nonsense to go from badly drawn world to whatever the next one is to be really unengaging, and since nearly everything I've heard implies that I haven't even discovered the real grind yet, this feels like as good a time as any to give it up. :)

Fair enough. I'll say this though: I felt the same way with number resetting and challenge grinds. The early game trains you to treat Number as the most important resource, then you are suddenly expected to chuck it out. It feels bad on a psychological level. If I didn't start hanging out in the Goon Discord, I would definitely have quit the game within a month. The channel puts a lot of the more obtuse game mechanics into perspective and helps a lot with "yeah forget that ignore it just do x, y, z". When that fails, you can just complain to 4G directly. :v:

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

something posted:

https://pastebin.com/FZgLT9D8

I've got stuff finally set up enough to do some test card name generation. Let me know what you think!

It me, The Horny Toast

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Arzaac posted:

Personally, I maxxed out the Evilverse and Princess sets before hitting the Nerd. As a consequence, I was able to auto-kill the nerd basically the second I reached him.

But, you know, I don't really claim to be optimal here. I also haven't even finished my evil basic challenges because I'm lazy and they were taking me about 1.5 hours per.

This was also my experience. Mainly because my A/D wasn't being focused on.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Ixjuvin posted:

Picked up NGU idle over the weekend, still early days. I don't have any outstanding questions yet (though newbie tips would be appreciated)

Congrats! Jump in the NGU Goon channel discord for rapid tips, or just post here.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

please knock Mom! posted:

Adventure communist is like an ad watching simulator

I honestly went back to kittens game. Phone games suck!!!

I reinstalled Clickpocalypse II recently because I wanted a decent idle game on my phone. It's pretty handsoff but fun.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

something posted:

A little more progress:

The main factory logic works now, so each tile is taking in the materials it requires, and producing what it produces. I asked the discord goons for suggestions for the tutorial materials, and so you're going to mine cardboard and glue ore to smelt into cardboard and glue bars. You'll eventually research new materials types and upgrades to various aspects of production.

drat it now you've given me a timer to beat NGU before NGU Industries comes out. :argh:

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Just play them both at the same time? Do you not have 3-5 idle games running at once or something?

Never more than two usually. I'm not like most people in the thread. But I'm mostly kidding. Also I want to import my NGU save into NGU Industries so that it conserves my Shep-Liara romance.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Omi no Kami posted:

I've read a few different evil mode guides that all recommend skipping evilverse/level 100 place in favor of rushing the next titan, is the implication that it's faster to raise your adventure stats with weeks/months of NGU? That doesn't seem likely... a day of idling in the evilverse got me up to level 12ish on all of its drops, and by the time I have them maxed out I'll probably have barely enough A/T to idle the next zone, but I'm nowhere close to having enough stats for the titan.

If it matters, I ignored that advice. I just farmed up evilverse before I could consistantly push A/D to kill the titan.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Discord is so miserable but I am joining a bunch related to my bookmarked threads in the hope that a spinoff becomes successful.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Aurora posted:

does this still work if i have all my energy and magic tied up

Yes. I refused to buy a new fruit if I couldn't auto-activate it.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Xelkelvos posted:

itch.io is another option, I think, for uploading games at least while in Alpha/Beta.

Also all this talk of NGU keeps reminding me that every time I picked up NGU, I just kept bouncing off of it because of how relatively little progress I felt like I was making in the game in a given day.

Post in the goon discord. A lot of the growing pains get ironed out or at the very least you get a sympathetic ear. I had this same problem when I first started.

Also re: Kong closing, I'm a bit bummed. Bit of online history closing there but yeah the writing was on the wall. It's niche has been supplanted by phone games. I haven't been active on that website for ages and only came back for ngu.

Also I will totally want to beta test ngu industries on steam.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Xelkelvos posted:

Gimme the link to it. I guess I'll jump back in and see. I apparently haven't played in 268+ days and my Number is gonna be 7.8 Octodecillion

Sorry for the slow reply:
https://discord.gg/4PD5xG

Bug 4G after for secret goon access

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Ineptitude posted:

One of the benefits to going to a new difficulty should be that some previous feature is entirely automated. There was a wish to automatically train AA but thats it.
Why do i still, after 2,5 years, need to double check that my diggers are capped before i eat fruit? Why not let highest possible xp/pp fruit count?
Why do i need to equip items i want leveled before i use the money pit? Why can't it just level all items in my inventory?
Why do i, after my 1300th rebirth and far progress into Sadistic, still need to wait for 6min15s every rebirth to be able to properly start the rebirth? Why not let everything be unlocked from the start of a rebirth by the time you get to sadistic?
Why can't gold diggers be capped automatically? Based on your gold/sec in the current rebirth of course, but just have the game hit the cap button every minute for the first hour of the rebirth or whatever

These are fair points. I'm nearly done evil and gonna push sad soon. I wish there were equivalents to the ability to completely ignore/autoset features like Basic Training and Adv Training once you've progressed enough.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

I would like to thank and curse this thread for this one year anniversary

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

something posted:

In fact, I want to sorta rip off Monster Train (awesome STS-like game btw) and have a Completion/Achievements album page of sorts in-game where you can collect lots of shinies for completing various milestones in the game. Complete with special little icons, borders, all the things to really tap into that dopamine vein.

Oh no (oh good!) more red boxes to complete :ohdear:

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Crossposting from the Android thread. I'm still enjoying NGU somehow nearly a year and a half later (at SAD), but as of a week ago I've started playing a new idle game on my phone: Melvor Idle

It's basically Runescape with the numbers filled off, but better? Idling is actually more fun than repetitive clicking. Active development and I'm enjoying it so far. It's free online and on App stores: https://melvoridle.com/. There's an ad-free version for phones and it just launched on Steam (launch sale -25% for 14 more hours). Each purchase is independent, but there are cloud saves that syncs across all platforms so I play on my phone and I just pulled the trigger on the Steam version to support the dev.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

drat it I'm conflicted on jumping in right now or waiting a bit

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

I loving did it. After 936 days 11:30:48, I beat The End and I finished NGU. Even though my interest sagged towards the end, I was checking in intermittently and let my numbers keep going up. What a ride. I still vaguely remember when you started workshopping your ideas in this (previous iteration) thread. NGU is enshrined in my personal idle game top tier (along with Shark Game, Paperclips and A Dark Room).

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

something posted:

built up a good deal of the NGU's page (which is actually more akin to the rebirth + PP perks page in NGU 1, you'll gain prestige currencies here and spend them on similar style perks to permanently buff up your guy)

then i went back and tried some of those things suggested:

(the art for a tile in "danger" is very much temp)

Can I interact with the computers in the top right in order to launch an in-game instance of NGU, ala Maniac Mansion inside of Day of the Tentacle?

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Deki posted:

Update to the Idle game I'm working on:

Echoing the post that said this looks interesting and reminded them of Shop Titans. Looking forward to giving this a whirl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Jhet posted:

I discovered that I was missing one of the steam achievements for this. It was the 1 quadrillion Resource 3 cap so I had to open it back up. It’s such a calm thing to have open. Everything else except the NGU is now complete and it only took 100d of it being closed to get there.

Had the same experience when I beat NGU lol. Had to let it run in AFK mode for another month to get the last Resource 3 cap cheevo.