Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
It doesn't have to be that low, but it should be low enough that you don't give a gently caress about how much energy you've allocated to basic training because it's no longer significant. That should be good enough to do a basic and a 24 hour challenge and get you set up better for the next bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

I'm collecting EXP at a pretty decent pace now and I have a max lvl Wandoos 98. Should I be pushing Energy/Magic total now? Or power, or what?

I'm currently idling in the Clock Work zone to get my clockwork set bonus complete and I've killed the first two titans.

You're supposed to be better off if you keep your things in proportion to each other, with 1 pow : 40k capacity : 1 bar being the recommended ratio at your point in the game. Get enough magic to activate any fruits you use (probably 300k for the pomegranate unless my memory is bad), but other than basically all your xp should be going to energy or whatever quality of life XP purchases from the Adventure Special/misc/ygg tabs are affordable.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
I did my first 3 troll challenges yesterday without too much trouble with about 6k each in my Power/Adventure/Wandos/Gold NGUs. It took me to the second TC before I realized that I needed to restart my basic training stuff whenever a troll killed my energy.

As for the guy at the beardverse wall, I think 3:1 energy:magic is probably way too much magic. Feel free to grow your energy side a bit more to help you grind out the Adventure stat NGUs you'll need to do beard stuff / Waldoop.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
I recommend everyone stop being such goddamn poors and give somethingggg his :10bux: so you have that whole loot filter thing squared away. You even get a heart (I think?).

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
You're definitely going to keep the King's Amulet around and equip it any time you're doing Advanced Training.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Omi no Kami posted:

Thanks for the advice, but I think I'm going to throw in the towel- at its best NGU is really awesome (and I appreciate the heck out of all the work Something is putting into the game and its community), but it's done several things that really severely rub me the wrong way. I've found constantly resetting my number for obnoxious and frustrating challenges and spending days leaving the game running tedious nonsense to go from badly drawn world to whatever the next one is to be really unengaging, and since nearly everything I've heard implies that I haven't even discovered the real grind yet, this feels like as good a time as any to give it up. :)

Sure. One thing I want to mention is that the game gives you a way to really easily build that number back up. The Reverse Hitler beard and the Magic NGU Number thing makes it really easy to get back to where you were number-wise, and your blood production gets going once you start investing more in magic and that lets you dump a casual trillion or so into Blood Number Boost.

Also

quote:

spending days leaving the game running

It's an idle game. You're not supposed to stare at it all day. You just leave it running in the background and check in every so often. If you're into the whole very active part of the idle game, you should probably just play a normal game where it's very active the whole time. Maybe like an MMO or something? FFXIV is really fun.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
If we're making something take a look at UI stuff, the inputs on the Advanced Training screen are broken on PC.

On other menus (ex: the NGU screen), I can alter target amounts while the bar is filling or BBd. On the AT screen, it looks like every level gain resets focus on the target input boxes, which makes it impossible to change target values while you're BBing a skill.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Ghostlight posted:

NGU-wise, with the Levelled Quest Items bonuses am I right that once you have them all it's 2:1 so that a stack of quest items is a 50 completion?

No? Each quest item counts for 1 regardless of what level it is. So you only ever level any given quest item once.

The first time you level a quest item to 100, you get a 2% bonus to the reward points. So each quest you finish gives more QP.

(Unless you're talking about something that I don't know about that unlocks in Evil or something).

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

headfake posted:

I'm on Beast v4 in NGU, and recently it seems like special boosts going into the cube are getting credited almost all to Power and none (or like 1 point out of 1000) to Toughness. Is this a bug? My ratio's getting skewed, it's now like 4.7M:3.9M even though I'm putting in all specials.

They are 1K drops from the ITOPOD being auto-converted to special.

edit: in fact, if I put Toughness boosts in I get basically nothing out of them at all

Let me try:

Starting cube toughness 732,470

1k boost with full recycling and a listed value of 15,246. I have the double cube boost strength perk.

Dragged to cube and got to 733,046.

Right clicked my cube to consume boosts in inventory 733,622.

Seems to be working for me.

Let me try special boosts:

2199832/737134 for initial pow/tough in my cube.

Dragging a 1k special with the same values as before. Each side gains 288 compared to the toughness boost where it gained 576.

Seems fine?

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Oodles posted:

I take it with Walderp you need to find him first, before you attempt him in Adventure? As I just get nuked after about 20 seconds.

Does anyone have any tips for finding him, can he be hiding in any menu and is there anything I need to do to trigger him to hide?

I think you have to whoop him in adventure, then he goes and hides somewhere in a menu. Repeat like 3-4 times. If you can't beat him in his adventure zone, you need to work more on stats.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Twitch posted:

How should I be raising my adventure stats right now? I can beat Walderp easily, but I still have a ways to go until I can autokill him. I have BEARd and adventure NGU softcapped, and I've maxed out all of the Beardverse equipment + UUGs rings (other than the secret one I haven't gotten yet).

Keep going past the softcap. Aside from Respawn, everything else keeps on going meaningfully, it just costs more / takes longer, though that increase is offset by you getting better stuff. Hell even respawn is useful past the softcap, but it's gonna be slow (ex: 400 levels is 80%. 1 million is 60.77%).

Bedurndurn fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Dec 19, 2019

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
Something, can you add to the tooltips on bars?

Ex:

Maybe like whenever Time to level up: is <1s, have it say how many fills per second? Looking at that (and it's not a bar with a cap button), I have no clue whatsoever if I'm getting 25 / second or if I'm short and only getting 12 and wasting a bunch of energy.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
After I started playing NGU, I tried to check out a bunch of other idle / incremental games and found out they're generally way worse. NGU's UI kind of makes sense, leaving it head and shoulders above the rest of the genre and that 'WTF Do I Do?' button is sorely missed on most games.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Kin posted:

So what's the typical deal with walderp?

I figured out his 'game' but do you have to keep doing the 'Walderp says' stuff even after you beat his final form?

Basically, i'm at a maxxed beard set and have only beaten the 2nd form but i'm wondering if i should just keep dumping energy into advanced training until i'm strong enough to insta kill him to farm his gear after beating his final form.

My stats are 6 million for power and 4 million for toughness which is apparently way too low for the next zone (Badly Drawn World) too.

You have to do his bullshit until you have the stats to auto-kill or one shot him, whichever comes first.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
I went back to playing WAMI while I'm waiting on stuff to be ready for evil in NGU. I understand it way more this second time around, partly because of the guy's post advocating for it here and being a lot more familiar with the genre as a whole.

There's a christmas event running in it now, which gives out some free early game stats if anybody else wants to check it out.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
You probably need to start leveling up your Adventure alpha NGU.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
How much of a boost are the Evil Basic Challenges supposed to give me? The info screen on the challenge menu says 10%, but when I did my second one, the victory tooltip said 2% and my adventure stats breakdown page says my Basic Challenge Modifier is 162%.

So there's probably a bug from when the # of challenges got reduced, but I'm not sure which bit is the thing that needs to be fixed.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Kin posted:

I've been idling the advanced training so i can auto kill Walderp and reap the exp that comes with it in order to then throw that into more energy and magic which in turn will speed up everything

How long are you idling that? The thing with AT is that anything you invest in it vanishes in a puff of smoke when you rebirth. If you're spending more than an hour or two on it each rebirth, you should probably be throwing all that energy into adventure NGU which gives you a bonus for the entire rest of the game.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

ashnjack posted:

I'm capable of beating beast V2 Auto kill in NGU idle and I can just about to kill V3.

Any advice on beating V4?

How's your challenges? At around Beast v2/v3/v4, you can clear that stuff out pretty easily and get faster titan spawn / more titan xp / to increase your income rates.

You're going to get an accessory from v3 that increases your Ygg yields, so you're going to start getting more and more XP/AP/stats/etc. That's going to increase the rate you can pump up your E/M by a lot, so you can black bar more NGUs, which increases everything even more (including the tree yields from the mNGU side). Oh and don't forget to idle in itpod, if you're killing the beast, you're at a high enough floor that it's a big chunk of xp.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Kin posted:

What's the level 20 laser sword challenge augment level and subsequent gold requirement?

I've done 6 of the challenges so far but just looking to know when to switch to something like the gold challenge because I won't realistically be able to afford or level up the laser sword past 10 levels or something within 24 hours.

Switching to leveling up my NGUs up to 10k has been brilliant though as its helped idle walderp and earn a lot more energy per day.

I've still not swapped out my beardverse set for any of the walderp gear though. The Walderp stuff will give me higher adventure stats but generally takes a hit on my energy/magic power.

Is that normal until I get the walderp stuff up to about level 100 or something?

I'm assuming I should only really switch to the walderp stuff when it gives me enough of an adventure stat boost to get into the next zone right?

You can let the laser sword stuff wait until after you've killed the next two titans. Since it acts like a normal rebirth that doesn't reset anything, you can just work it into the eventual 24 hour rebirths where you just idle around in ITPOD, autokill titans, grow your fruits and raise your NGUs while you build up to Evil.

quote:

Is that normal until I get the walderp stuff up to about level 100 or something?

Yeah. As sets go on, their level 1 versions stop being an upgrade over a level 100 version of the previous set.

There's a website ( https://gmiclotte.github.io/gear-optimizer/#/ ) where you can plug in what gear you have (and what level it's at) and it'll run the math on which pieces to use to accomplish a particular goal. You can try that to see if beard/walderp is better for you at the moment. The NGU discord is also really good and helpful and has rooms based on progression levels so you don't get people talking about things that make no sense to you because you're not there yet.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Meinberg posted:

I just beat the Nerd. Is it worthwhile to invest xp into Stat 3 immediately or should I keep the focus on Energy and Magic?

I don't know for sure, but as someone who tried keeping a focus on E&M at that point, I think R3 probably would've been better. Even after huge investments into E&M, I still can't really do much with Evil NGUs, so I'm just capping all my normal NGUs and then trying to figure out WTF to do with all my extra juice. I'm 90% sure that throwing a week's worth of XP into R3 instead would've yielded more forward progress.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
Oooh QP fruit. That'll help.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
Oooh you can dick around with scripting in the game itself to drive your little idle buddy around. That sounds very much like my jam.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Garfu posted:

Whoa, haven't heard of this one. It's visually appealing at the very least. What's the concensus? Looks pretty neat!

Nothing happens. It needed to have some better connection between the dungeon crawling parts of it and the gathering, because as is, you just grind the gathering up to 99 and use maybe 1/20th of the things you can make.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
I can say that there is no way in hell I was ever going to give Kongregate my credit card info, but I've happily spent like ~$200 or so on idle games on Steam (NGU, WAMI, Realm Grinder and that Forgotten Realms one).

What's real dumb about idle games and steam is that sometimes they'll grab the joypad focus, so I have to close them before I play actual games.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
NGU

Is there a way to see which challenges you've finished on different difficulties? I'm currently on evil difficulty, but I don't think I finished all of the normal mode challenges, so I'd like to clear those out. If I click the 'Normal' difficulty button on the rebirth screen and then click the challenges, it only shows me my evil difficulty challenge completion.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
Hit the evil NGU soft caps for everything, then go back to normal NGUs until you've got the thing where both level at the same time and you can start capping eNGUs.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
Important, hard-hitting NGU discussion

Task manager says the steam version of NGU uses about 30% of my GPU when it's minimized, but only ~8% of it when it's visible. That seems wrong.

Does it do that for other people, or am I a crazy person?

(I've got Windows 10 and a 2070 on the latest drivers if that's helpful.)

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
I've played Dragon Cliff. You can definitely have $3.50 worth of fun with it.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
I highly recommend using Cheat Engine whenever an idle game has a feature that annoys you. Like poop or seeds.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
In Endless Battle: Return of Hero, my classes and zones are getting +1s, +2s, etc next to them. What does that mean? I guess it's good, but I don't know what's causing that or what it does.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Klungar posted:

The color border of the challenge changes if you’ve completed all challenges of a particular level. I guess you are saying what happens if you do all Evil Basics and forget to do all Normal Basics first? Not sure what the color does in that case.

If you've done all the evil challenges of a category, it changes to that color regardless of whether you've finished the normal ones or not.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

somekindofguy posted:

Stuck on Distance Incremental. I've gotten Elementary reset unlocked and a lot of things to fiddle with. What's the best combo to push forward?

Also, on Return of Hero, I've gotten factions unlocked, but doing missions fails to give them experience. How do I level them up?

The recruitment office on the city level makes faction XP medals as one of its products.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

MikusR posted:

No. It's just more cards, quests, upgrades and boosts (the last layer boost makes any prestige increase all prestige currency by 5,10,15%).

Oh...

:smith:

Well I guess I'm done with that one then. Glad you told me.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

jeef posted:

Can I get an invite tossed my way for the discord?

Recently, having just cracked into Chocolate World, I've noticed the game has sped up a lot, particularly PP.

The NGU discord? It's literally in the top left of the launch screen and the top right of the info 'n stuff screen.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
You probably want to buy every single adventure stat perk that's available. It will always pay off in terms of increasing your floor in the itopod, which gets your more PP and more XP.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

ZZT the Fifth posted:

Are the Steam chat and autosave in WAMI supposed to be broken?

It's not 'supposed' to be, but their server dies pretty frequently, so it's not exactly a surprise when it's down.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
I ran out of things to wish for. I should probably go to sadistic mode. Weirdly, I still have months and months of ITOPOD perks to buy. Is there another PP earning bonus is sad mode to help with that?

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Oook?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
In another chronicle, how do I get a stamina stat? I've got an attack skill (Slash) that needs it and the Get a Job button in the Forest needs it, but I don't have one and I'm not sure why...