Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
One thing I never figured out with NGU was the Target settings. Do they serve any point besides the 100 Level challenge? I can't figure out why I'd ever use them, especially for say NGU or Hacks. At what point is it useful to invest into a individual hacks at a time up to a certain level?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
I didn't even realize there were challenges in Evolve so I looked up how to get them, which also showed me the achievements. Holy hell, how are you supposed to unlock everything? I'm only on my 3rd reset and despite people saying it gets quicker it's a barely negligible quicker unless you're paying hyper attention to the game. I can't imagine resetting 30+ times, let alone the special conditions like one race after another or two in a row.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

pelao posted:

I now think it just doesn't matter. Move fast and break stuff. Getting levels faster means the next run goes further, which compounds the gains. Maybe all DPS is the way to go for longer runs.

The best I found, which fits with what GrossMurpel found, is setup 1 armor tank and the rest DPS for pushing prestige points, then before you do a next layer prestige (which wipes progress) setup for 1 HP tank, 2 healers (only one if you just have three heroes), and the rest DPS. HP tank and heals is good for pushing highest level, armor tank is good for bumrushing points. Armor tank is especially great on pushing points once you get the autobuyers because your group will die at least a level earlier, which may sound like a bad thing but with the hp tank/healer setup you'll lose a lot of time fighting the extra level or two you'll make where armor fails.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

GrossMurpel posted:

Yeah the time spent healing is really useless, apparently. What do you mean by "bumrushing points"?

Trying to earn prestige points as fast as possible instead of trying to hit the highest floor or kill the strongest enemy you could conceivably fight.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
I picked up Idle Wizard again for some reason and I was looking through all the achievements I couldn't figure out before and just cheesing it with the wiki now. There is one which appears to require four days of cast time on a spell to make happen (Voidmancer's Void Prison), is there a way to intentionally reduce a cast time? I saw a tip to save/reload which interrupts the cast, as well as replacing the spell, but the times cast value doesn't increase when you do that.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

explosivo posted:

I'm, uh, currently plugging away at this game and don't recognize a goddamn thing in this entire post so I'm extremely curious to see how the game I'm playing now turns into this!

It's not as exciting as it sounds, it's just a new ticker you watch, have a few extra "buildings" to effect the demon strength, and a chance for your civilians assigned to work in the job associated with the Hell Dimension to die and replenish. The only notable impact it adds, other than just an incredible grind increase for those stupid soul gems, is screwing your over while dumping stuff into the Black Hole for the Black Hole reset because Infernite is a high mass item and your income fluctuates periodically as civilians die and replenish.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Mendrian posted:

I'm in the first real space run in Evolve.

Is the end game just desperately trying to generate more Neutronium?

Nope, you've got 2 1/2 more rare resources left to go and then a final role reveral to add more hours of time before you can press the final end game button available right now.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
In Arcanum are you supposed to go through all the T1 classes or pick one and stick with it to eventually unlock T2?

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Eldercain posted:

You only get one from every tier unless you get the refresh bug. There's no real continuity to it other than Max skills sometimes letting you get other in the same path easier

Yeah, I just picked a T1 class and the rest are still options for me to choose.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Just a friendly reminder to backup your saves. For some god awful reason I didn't do that NGU when I stopped playing it last on Kartridge and now it doesn't show a cloud save on the service. At least I can go back and load up my old Kongregate save, but it's a few months behind in progress, including not having unlocked Wishes and all that fun.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Has anyone gotten past 53 mana in Cavernous? I'm sitting at 53.3, and I can't work out a path to grind out more currently. Tried going for the third clone, and that's definitely a no go. I can reach the sword or shield, but not both, at least as far as I can put together a run (and that's just iron, screw steel shield). And I've explored the entire map except for what's behind the goblin. I'm probably missing something obvious but even if I could optimize my path to earning another couple tenths of a mana point, I'm still massively far off from hitting the goblin or getting the third clone and that seems like the only progression at this point.

nessin fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Apr 15, 2020

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Phssthpok posted:

I was stuck around 53 mana until I realized I could put multiple clones on the same mana vein.

I didn't realize you could do that either. And gently caress, I've not made individual routes to all the mana veins because there was so much flex each time you made a new route with more mana. This is going to take forever to run both clones to all the veins one by one.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Eldercain posted:

Did this get an overhaul yet? It was hotter than hot for like 2 weeks and then the dev kind of petered out

That and you had to start from scratch if you hosed up your classes or wanted to try something different.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
I think I've hit max frustration on Cavernous. I hit 99.9 mana and then everything fell apart. I can get the area with the coal but the sync action button doesn't work as the tooltip says (my clones don't wait until all of them hit the sync action before progressing) and when I finally got a path that worked I saved it in a queue and now the queue doesn't result in the same outcome that doing it manually did (one of my clones now dies). However even assuming I could get it working properly again I'm not sure what the next steps are. The coal area opens up four iron, which isn't enough to overcome the two Hobgoblins and isn't enough to even build a steel bridge to cross to the other Chieftan (four iron gets the two bridges you need, but not the extra iron to make the steel).

Actually typing this out I think that's enough to get the steel shield which might be enough to beat a Hobgoblin? Otherwise my only other option is to grind out skills so I can earn the extra 5-ish seconds I need to get the 20 gold clone.

nessin fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Apr 21, 2020

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Am I missing some secret to the Synergism challenges? It wasn't too bad getting the first rank in each challenge, but getting the second in the last three, especially the last two, is hellish. I had 10 completions of the no multiplier challenge before I got my 2nd completion of No shards. And still haven't gotten the 2nd completion of the diamonds challenge. Am I missing some secret to doing it, or is it just a matter of grinding up outside the challenge until you basically autocomplete the challenge stages themselves?

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Pigbuster posted:

I think I've done all of that and the last two challenges are still roadblocks, and my mythos growth stalls out around 1e130 so the last mythos upgrade is out of reach too.

Cripes it's annoying being unable to automate those last 2 crystal upgrades. I'm getting pretty close to reincarnating so I guess I could just wait for that?

E: lol I got to the reincarnation threshold as I was posting this.

I'm literally in the exact same state, except I haven't unlocked the 2nd Achievement in the 5th row, and I'm only at e115 Mythos.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

The one thing I really wish I could do in the game is fire troops. Being able to replace those stupid tanks with healers would be great, but instead they just sit there, taunting me with what I could be doing with the space they're taking up instead.

e: There's some kind of weird rounding error with troops. I have 100 slots, 50 of which should be occupied by 25 healers, 40 of which are occupied by archers, 10 of which are taken up by tanks... and I only have 99 slots used. Kind of makes my eye twitch even more than not being able to get rid of the tanks.

I wish I'd decided to ditch wolves earlier. I waited until I had a decent number of healers and now I'll occasionally be able to let one get killed but usually I have to retreat because I'm the healers keep the damage spread out enough that something else more critical (like a healer) is at risk in addition to a wolf. That and now that I've got Marauders I wish I could get rid of the Warriors.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
In Synergism, how many talisman's are there? I've got 4 but they're spaced apart, two on each side, with obvious room for two more in the middle. However by this point I'm on my second ascension and there doesn't appear to be any more to get.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Just as a heads up for Another Chronicle, I took Tamer first because of the summon monster/party theme and it's kind of obvious that is a bad idea if not nearly impossible to complete. Like I'm about to hit Rank 25 but need another 150 destiny to get the Beginner Tamer title and I can't see how to get that much. My only options for increasing destiny are getting 200+ researches for the Orc and Treant or getting to rank 30 to advance the Forest upgrade. Plus there are some other wonky effects, like you lose the ability to make Anchovy Sandwhich, so I've got no bonus from that food nor can I get any. I'm basically stuck grinding for a couple days to level up my Familiar rank a couple times in the hopes that will get enough to overcome the sewer dungeon and that opens up more options for Destiny.

nessin fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Oct 17, 2020

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Luck from titles gives you more monster research drops (not higher chance, just higher number when it does drop), I assumed luck from monsters worked the same way when slotted in party but I didn't test that. I know there is a luck value in the Dark Ritual but I haven't seen that move by completing monster luck, but maybe I just wasn't working with big enough numbers to see the Dark Ritual number move.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

dis astranagant posted:

Shortly after the coast you can unlock some pretty strong magic boosting food, but by then you've been thoroughly trained to avoid magic and the next area has several weapon monsters to break warrior school builds with.

Which food are you talking about, the Honey and Wine combos? I'm not sure they'd qualify, even if they are high efficiency foods you're still competing for stats like Max HP and regular attack that you could make with honey and wine instead, plus it's so annoying the farm (presumably wine isn't once you can one-shot the Elder Treant).

Couple of side questions to avoid making another post:

- Is there some secret to getting the rare enemies to drop research? I've got the first two zones fairies but have never gotten any other rare enemy since then. I've even spent about 18 hours just grinding out the Queen Bee area and probably two to three days on Phantom Whale, and nothing. I've literally got every other monster up to Elder Treant maxed out in the grind to try and get the rares.

- What do you lose on reincarnation? Am I screwing myself over by trying to max everything out on my first run? If I have to re-do the researching or if I have to finish the Bishop Goddess Statues before I can reincarnate, I'm probably going to drop it now and save my sanity.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Bedurndurn posted:

Am I supposed to just constantly eat in Another Chronicle or only eat till I've maxed the satiety thing?

Constantly as long as you're able. Satiety is how much bonus you're going to get when you Dark Ritual, it caps out which is why you can go up to 100% but you still get the stats from the food for each level you gain regardless of satiety.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
It's like a side scroller and an idle game had a baby, and it's ugly as hell. There isn't any decent indication of progress as you're taking an action (unless you're killing things and watching hp bars drop), the best you get is watching your XP bar go up over time on the lower left corner. The touch positioning feels really off and wrong also but that may just be me or my phone I tried it on. There is a lot that actually feels really wrong about it, but i'm not sure if it's me making mistakes or the game. For example, I set my character to mining ore and came back after half an hour to have nothing waiting for me to pickup. Did something happen to cause my character to stop mining? Do items disappear if not claimed after a certain time? Did I somehow knock my character off the ore action without really moving him and thus the half hour was just idling in game? No clue.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
I like the idea of NGU Industries but I'm not sure I can actually continue to play it. Getting just a couple technology levels seem to break the chain of every layout I've made so I steadily just replace the actual tech producers with missing resources until I've replaced so many I have to rebuild the entire layout just to keep earning tech items. And that is super unsatisfying and just feels like busy work.

Also testing out the beacons just became more work than it was worth. It's clearly better to use them but the overall bonus seems minor unless you min-max to hell and back and I don't see how to work that out without spending way more time actively playing that it's worth. Which then goes to hell each tech level. For now I've just settled on using them where I can maximize the area around them under a beacon that seems to be worthwhile, for some reason the speed production one doesn't seem to increase speed of a lot of quick producers so I use the efficiency one mostly and the resource reduction one on the tier 2/3 items which quickly ballon like crazy.

The thing I'm going to try next is layouts which produce few tech items but tons of everything else and then leaving that run offline for a long time and then maybe play for 10-15 mins a day by wiping the map clear and only building what I specifically need on the entire map (using stored resources from my overnight production) and then loading the overnight blueprint back and coming back later.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

something posted:

that's just the wave of initials fans of NGU IDLE(as appreciated as it is!) inflating the reviews. the negative reviews are all very detailed and basically saying the same thing: " the fundamental mechanics do not elicit entertainment or joy. That's not a thing you can fix by just tweaking the gameplay a bit. And I don't much want to remove all the mechanics i've spent a year on-and-off designing with the intent TO be fun (but aren't)

I don't want to speak for anyone else but I think two changes could make a world of difference to the problems I have:

1) Get rid of levels for each tech. Or at least severely reduce them. Like literally combine anything with 20 levels or less into a single tech, and anything above that in 2-5 levels. Make it so each new tech level is "build up tons of resources then make an entire map of tech resource production until you can earn a couple techs which make the difference to creating a balanced layout if you so choose." That would solve making each tech level feel kind of meh and sometimes hard to determine the real effect, while also making it so each upgrade takes effort to get and thus I don't feel bad about having to rebuild the map.

2) Make beacons stronger but limited per map. If I can only place one of each beacon per map and each one is worth what 5 (or whatever) are worth right now, I'll care more about how I can use them without feeling like it's a chore.

Of course doing those two things may screw up the balance in other ways, but it'd solve what makes the current loop feel really unsatisfying to me right now.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Len posted:

Me in the Synergism discord "why isn't there a wiki?"
them "who will update it?"
3000+ online players

you tellin' me you really can't find anyone willing to work on a wiki? clearly i can't because i'm delving through discord pins for tips

Want to get people to work on a wiki? Make a super simple one up on your own with really bad information. Or at the very least like super inefficient but works information. Guaranteed a least a couple dozen people will not bother to life a finger to create something but sure as hell will edit existing poo poo to show off how much more they know and better they are at the game than whoever put together what they're looking at.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
The big problem with NG Space Company, that caused me to quit, is the grind after you're able to do Rebirth's fairly regularly (as in just a few hours). The game is way to active and takes way to much time to reach that point. Then you've got to do it over and over and over again. Getting 45-50 Dark Matter per rebirth is easy, going higher than that starts to take more time to get 5 more than it takes to reset and do another "quick" run. But a "quick" run is only quick if you're actively touching it every few minutes for an hour. And it's just not that enjoyable to interact with to make it worth it.

Then when you get to trying for an Enlightenment your first will take many times more than your first Dyson Sphere or you'll have to grind that Dark Matter like crazy till you've earned 500+ for all the upgrades you need. It'd be great if you could spend a few minutes once every hour or two or see appreciable gains on an overnight run but that doesn't happen because of the storage limits. Eventually you do reach a point where just leaving the game for several hours leaves an actual productive result, but that's literally at the last step before you Rebirth or Enlighten.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

GrossMurpel posted:

I will never understand how games manage to look like this on a regular 1080p screen

That looks more like you've got a default zoom level for your browser at something other than 100% instead of a resolution issue.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Increlotion fell off for me near the end of the second chapter. Once you start automating most of the second chapter it takes a long time to get through a loop to find out if something was worth it or not. And you get the overlap of resources which is annoying. Like I need Bread and Cake for fighting the wolves early on, but do I really need Bread anymore? Automating boat hunting means you burn a good 5-15 seconds filling up hide before you move on or you don't craft the sail/boots. What finally got me is trying to figure out which path near the end made the most sense, it was just too drat annoying when you're on 15+ minute runs of automation each time and you can't reset manually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

ErIog posted:

Well, that's why the game is good. It really depends on your specific instinct levels and which wall you're running up against late game. It's pretty much always worth it to stock lower level food, but the curve changes for when you should be doing it. When you're no longer at any risk of dying while building the first 2 huts you can set the critical path and the huts themselves to top priority and wait to pick berries later. You can do a similar optimization much later on when certain aspects of certain chapters become trivial.

Late chapter 2 starts to give pretty significant choices on how you solve problems, and how you choose to solve them should be changing a little bit based on what you're trying to accomplish with a run. Of course it's possible to brute force everything if you just run all the same automations every single time, but you're gonna be stuck at a 1-2 instinct level gain per run on most skills when you could have gotten 4-10 instinct levels on lots of them had you chosen differently based on your specific place in the curves.

The choices you get are not giving you different ways to solve an immediate problem, they're shortcuts and effects you'll want or need later down the road in future chapters. That isn't super obvious in Chapter 2 so I can understand why it seems that way but it's very obvious later on and very clearly not about creating meaningful alternative paths.