Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I just started playing evolve recently, and am on my second run after nuking my mushrooms.
Now my ents have the "unification" research ready. And it looks like I have to somehow conquer the other countries? I haven't interacted with the diplomacy system before and the wiki is unorganized on the topic.

The options I have found are: Ramming an army against them until I get lucky. Ramming my spies against them until I get lucky.
Are there other options I am missing somewhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

SettingSun posted:

Are you trying to bioseed on your second run? Bold plan. Anyway, the various ways to unify your enemies include:

-Occupying them with a siege
-Buying them with cash
-Annexing them by having a high morale and them high unrest.

Yeah, I thought the game was chill enough to let me go for the second reset condition on the second run.
I am currently getting annoyed at the glacial pace of upgrading my elerium storage.

If I had/do reset with nukes here what upgrades would I have available to make that more efficient? I didn't see any on offer, which is part of why I pushed on. And because these ents are a lot more fun then the species I had before.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Arzaac posted:

Things you're probably missing:
  • Cost Creep Upgrades
  • Upgrades to how much plasmids increase your storage space
  • Crafting speed upgrades
  • Mastery (which is a general boost to all production based on how many achievements you've finished)
  • Priests (another job that increases the effectiveness of your temples)
  • For that matter you're almost certainly not softcapped on plasmids, which is another general production boost

How many nuke resets is that? I got 100 plasmids last time, and resetting now would give me 130 plasmids. That sounds like I would need to do a dozen nuke resets before actually starting to go forward.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Unnamed space idle is really fun. Despite me not liking NGU.
Though it is also hell to deal with those crystals on a linux system that uses alt-click for it's own purposes, so I can't use it in the game.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

I am currently trying 2 gattling, 1 beam and it is not good. Haven't found a favourite yet.

Can someone tell me how to figure out how much void matter income I currently have? I just set it to how much I need and hope it works, but then it suddenly cuts off and then I set it up exactly as before and it works again.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

pixaal posted:

Top middle panel, all the way on the left 2nd row, the white circle with a red dot in the middle. Hover over all the resources they do a terrible job of introducing them but they are labeled in hover text and so it's not a fatal flaw.

edit: center dot is orange actually was writing from memory, red is the crate icon above it.

Oh, it is the same resource as used for the compute thing? I thought it was a separate one. That makes more sense

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

In USI, I am currently running Bulk Shields with auto-shieldboost. The shieldboost recharges even the bulk shields on maximum bulk mode.
For offence I am also on the laser synergy build.

Though I would be interested in knowing what sort of build can make it through 17A or 17C, I only managed the B branch.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Randalor posted:

In USI, is there any point to doing shorter runs earlier on (I don't even have the second shield type yet, to put things into perspective) or should I just let it do a long run and focus on maxing out the basic synths and lower research tiers?

I think in the beginning you want to reset every time you unlock a new refit.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Is the synth mod the only thing that boosts max void energy in the reactor? I'm trying to max that out for a bit so i can snag a bunch of upgrades but I don't see any other lever to pull.

There is also a shard. And research.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Maigius posted:

I did two black hole resets before I turned on full automation in Evolve, and I'm kicking myself for not doing it sooner. I'm doing 4 star MADs faster than I was doing 0 star MADs without building automation.

I tried to install that mod right after my first bioseed reset recently, and was massively confused. You probably need to play the game that much before understanding the mod.
Actually, I found the documentation bad enough that I decided that I would probably stop playing instead of modding once normal evolve annoys me enough.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

In USI are the warp core amount upgrades useful?
If they just add another empty core that would only increase the maximum time I can be offline without wasting progress, I think. Not worth the price in that case.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Kyrosiris posted:

USI: Do you ever get more than one retrofit? Sector 26 switching back to shielded dudes makes me want my lasers back, and I'd also like to get the shard (looks like purple research?) out of 24/25B.

E: The concern being if I retrofit at 24B, am I going to run face first into more armored assholes in 27, for example.

You get your second retrofit pretty quickly after unlocking the second base.

Though I always felt that the retrofit is not that useful. I might have gotten the wrong impression but I feel that if you can beat sector 27 with an optimized build, you can beat sector 25 with the worst build just from stats alone.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

I tried out the all gattling gun setup for the challenges in USI.
And now I am pushing forward to my regular progress with the gattlings without respecting after abandoning the challenge.
And the only way an all gattling ship has to deal with sniper enemies is to push to the boss while getting shot in the face and then have a whole sector worth of enemies explode when the boss is defeated.
Kinda funny.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Huh. Immortality Idle added another stage beyond the previous endgame at some point in the several months I'd been away.

I hadn't played this before and checked it out for today.
Those mandatory rebirths are very strange, not sure if I like the idea.
Now I am in the situation where I seem to have to lean forward from my chair towards the shift button to drink all those potions. It also seems that once I actually have useful products there, I will have to be present to eat them before my character dies of old age.
Which kinda disqualifies the game for counting as an idle game to me, unless there is some kind of automatisation coming up soon. Is there one?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Been playing more of Immortality Idle. It is quite strange and I am still unsure if I like it. The fact that the character needs to eat somehow changes my mental image from other idles, and that leads to things being dumb in a funny way.

So, because the those fast autoresets reset your stats below the minimum for effective jobs, I need to use lower jobs for longer aft streches.
So, yesterday my character spent a few thousand years working unskilled oddjobs for 11/12 day workweeks while squatting in run down tent and dying of old age at 30.
This morning I upgraded to a more effective set of jobs with all attribute gain. Because his income increased he had enough money to afford a comfortable home. But, because I was afk he never even bought a blanket. While thieves ran off with enough money that they must have used wheelbarrows to haul of all the silver that I carelessly stored next to my tent.
Anyway now that I have unlocked the first life extensions and automatisations the game has changed a lot, I feel for the better. Makes me really love USI's approach of separating the automation resource from the rest of the resources.

Now I seem to need spirit gems for that ascension, and I am not sure how to get those effectively. I get some randomly from fighting sometime, but it looks like I have to manually mash the "look for trouble" button to get those in a realistic timescale. Anybody got any tips I overlooked.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

scaterry posted:

Squirrel loops just updated with a pretty well made tutorial. With secrets :O

I am playing this tutorial right now, having never played that loops series.
It feels more like a puzzle game then an idle game for now.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

On USI: I am fairly annoyed at the higher level challenges, I have a hard time finding good setups and things take forever.

Also: Does anybody understand what the Void Beacon module actually does?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Count Thrashula posted:

I haven't played an idle game since Cookie Clicker and that ASCII one years ago (Candy Box?) , what's the new hotness these days?

Unnamed space idle, is still my favourite. And the thread's.

Though if you haven't caught up on your classics, you should also play Paperclips and Shark game for a bit before going for the modern stuff.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

thark posted:

More USI talk

What's the strat for building out base 3? I've unlocked the four cheapest building mat spaces and it seems even with (unupgraded) drain reduce I can't put in any parts producer without going negative on mats yet (possibly upgrading it a couple of times was a mistake)

I made the same mistake. Just stick to all green until you can get positive, or even until you have unlocked all spaces that can be unlocked like that.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

ToxicFrog posted:

USI: any recommendations for what I should pick up as my next AI automation? So far I have:
- Auto Merge Shards (excellent)
- Research Auto Select (also excellent)
- Compute Optimize (nice, but should probably have been a cheaper QoL option rather than an automation)
- Reactor Auto Buy (doesn't work offline and thus a huge waste of points, I regret buying it)

I'm mostly considering Smart Craft 1 (if that works offline; it doesn't say) or Reactor Power Manager, since after completing the first Power Hungry challenge I have enough boost levels that managing them is pretty fiddly.

Smart craft is very good, and I regretted not getting it as soon as possible. I think it should have been the second to take after auto-merge, before anything else. It works offline.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

"With this you can now poop"

I love everything about the presentation and hate almost everything about the gameplay.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

I like how steams achivement stats tell us exactly how many people there imported their saves.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Pigbuster posted:

One of the funnier QoL upgrades I've seen in an idle game. "Uuuuuggggh it's so hard to press a button a second time, there's GOT to be a better way"

USI is made by and for people who think that unironically. Source: I am one of them.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

In Tingus I got some kind of massive test-tube sprout, but I couldn't figure out a way to get babies to interact with it. And I can't find it in the help-thing.
It can theoretically be moved, but is so big it fits nowhere.

How do I use it? I have just rerolled it into an even more useless unmoveable thing.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Harminoff posted:

Y'all playing microcivilization (Demo)?

Just tried it, and unlocking autoclicking takes to long for my taste. Pass.
Looks good actually besides that.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

I am not playing an idle game that makes me do things under time pressure, like that school game. I suppose I will try and see how far you actually get while ignoring that school mechanic.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

How much effort is Ironwood to keep playing after you get started? And is there a beginner guide?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Ham Equity posted:

I feel like the quests and challenges take a little longer than five minutes, but not much. I would say closer to ten minutes a day.

It's very low maintenance. And the gold you get from being in a good guild is quite helpful.

Is goons the goon guild? I sent a join request.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Ham Equity posted:

I'm not home, but I'll accept once I get there. VictualSquid, or did you use a different name l?

Same name, yeah.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

So, I am getting started in Ironwood since yesterday and I feel like I lack bones. Got most of my skills to level 10, but enchanting and alchemy need much much more bones then grinding the fighting skills to level 10 gave me. Am I doing something wrong or is that intended?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Getting started in Ironwood. I am still somewhat confused about challenge scrolls and perfect equipment.
I got a challenge scroll last night. What would be the optimal way to use that?
I tried using it and it wants me to have a perfect rod. Sounds cool, but it lead me to a upgrade interface I had never noticed before. And I can't even figure out what to do how I would unlock those interface for my iron rod, it is only there for copper.
Now I also need to know if I should grind copper rods or somehow wait to unlock improved iron rods.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

How does outskirt gathering actually work? I started the job, went afk and came back to the game in idle. No idea what happened.
And also, do I get fighting experience? Do I get fighting loot?

e: Just caught the fight, and got loot. Didn't see if I got XP or not. And I suppose the fight is very close as my character seems to have forgotten to eat.

VictualSquid fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Feb 25, 2024

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Got my first tome in ironwood. Which ones is the best? Does the resurrection tome restart combat? And does it restart outskirt gathering?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

By the time evolve started boring me, I still didn't understand it well enough to understand the documentation for the script.
So I stopped playing.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

ironwood pets: if an expedition says attack, does that mean I should bring pets with attack or that I should bring pets that are strong against attack?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

For Ironwood the main tip that I noticed is that the crafting skills, especially Alchemy and Enchanting, are the hardest to level. So focus your quests and challenges there.
And grab the Resurrection thing for your first rune. Outskirts gathering is practically impossible without it.

On other issues: I am trying to push again in Unnamed Space Idle. And I really can't figure out how to get that last V-Device Shard. It displays as 0% base droprate. I ran the game for a few days with all the relevant boosts in case it was rounding, and nothing happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

and the claw won! posted:

Not positive which shard you mean, but if it's the one in sectors 70-74, then get all your crew to mastery 2 and push researches past e100. Also don't even worry about that shard until you're chilling comfortably in 74.

I am on mastery 3 on most crew, and pushing the beginning of sector 74. But my research is only e92 on average. Looks like I ended up with a strange build, accidentally.
This shard:

I suppose I will do a research run for the next few runs, after I finish the infinite synths.