Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

SubNat posted:

Gooboo: Cards: I have a couple, and they mention having a bonus when 'active', how do you activate them?
They're highlighted by default, but I'm only getting the weakest passive based on the amount of cards I have for that category.

You've got to burn a duplicate when you prestige, and then its active for the next run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baddog
May 12, 2001

SubNat posted:

Ahaaa, thanks.
For talking about how it doesn't need wikis and etc, the game could stand to have a bit more info, but I assume I might be closing in on prestige territory.

Also, I can suddenly use inputs in the school now, not sure what changed.
Really dislike the asd asdfa adssd dsdsd dfsfsfff game.

Hmmm, new release, just says "hotfix school exam"

edit, oh I missed the whole 1.1 patch, big school rework. that's what I get for playing desktop I guess.

Baddog fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Sep 29, 2023

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Sivart13 posted:

Though maybe the L20 boss always drops souls, at least?

Yah, seems like it.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Bedurndurn posted:

In giggertydoo, what's my school level?

I have a quest to get School Level at least 1 on my generals tab, but I don't see any level mentioned on the school screen.

Hmm maybe that's a bug, i thought only the stuff on the top row (mine, village, horde, farm) had levels. Maybe it'll get unlocked later though?

I'm trying to figure out what Farming "overgrowth +10%" means.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

crime weed posted:

just realized you had to plant your garden gnome on the field itself :v:

Whaaaaat

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Can't figure out what "magical damage conversion" is doing in horde. Doesn't seem to be converting damage I'm doing. Is it converting damage I'm taking to physical? Hard to tell, but doesn't really seem to be doing that either.

All the biological/poison equipment seems to suck because bosses are so resistant to it.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Arbetor posted:

If you mouse over your damage number, it will say "Regular attacks happen every second and have the following damage distribution: <numbers>". With no equipment you do 100% physical damage, equipping the Fire Orb changes it to 2/3s physical, 1/3 magical, etc. (not 100% sure what the math is to get 50% magic damage conversion into 2/3s and 1/3). So when you run into enemies that are resistant to physical damage, one third of your damage isn't resisted. But enemies that resist magic will take less damage on the magical portion.

I think the idea with the biological/poison equipment is to use a trash mob setup with a lot of bio/poison, then a specific build for the boss. Which seems high maintenance for the game, but I also remember some of the boss fights in NGU, so I can't complain too much.

Ohh thanks! I was looking at the little triangle/square/circle icon to the right. Damage dealt/damage taken. But apparently that's a *different* multiplier than damage distribution, heh.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

widespread posted:

That said, what should I blow my painstakingly ground up gems on first? Do I just grab Dweller cards and go from there? Or invest in the Damage stuff?

I held off on getting that cheap 40 gem mining upgrade, and I don't think I should have! It's pretty good.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

widespread posted:

... what cheap 40 gem upgrade? The red gems?

yah red gem mining upgrade, premium crafting slot. Probably better to do it early game, when you only have the one slot anyways!

Baddog
May 12, 2001
I can't figure out what this night hunt event is, just doesn't seem to be anything there.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Zotix posted:

They are apparently random to each player according to the discord.

That's pretty cool actually. My single was just the maple leaf. I blew a chunk on the 2-slots and haven't found anything new yet.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Orvin posted:

Don’t forget to check the prestige page of each of your activities. I have had ghosts replaced by an item on the horde prestige page.

Also check the event page to make sure that you have magic items in the queue to be picked. After 8 hours you should, but there is a counter that slowly refills over time.

Ahh thanks, had one on the village prestige page.

When magic is under 8, feels like a very slow convert. Think the potion is automatic if you get the right combo the first time? Or has to be a success (20%).

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Lurks With Wolves posted:

Unrelated: having some real bad luck with potion RNG. This may be why I feel like having a chance of potion failure on top of having to find the right random potion ingredients is excessive.

On the plus side, you have found 2 of 'em! I'm still 0-fer.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Gully Foyle posted:

Just unlocked the ability to level crops. Any idea what the ideal gene upgrades for the crops? And is there a way to reset them if you make a decision you don't like?

You can prestige each crop when you level it 4+ times, to get a global farm bonus. So gene choice depends on what you are going for.

It isn't like the other prestige mechanics btw, it's the sum of the highest prestiges of each crop. So don't make the same mistake I did and hammer the prestige button as soon as you hit 4 again the second time. I'm taking everything to 4, and then prolly loop around and take everything to 6, etc.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Just FYI there is a general challenge to do a L7 prestige. Trying to decide when to do that.

e: while I'm here, I still dont really understand the night hunt game. I get how to scavenge mats now but I feel like I've jammed a ton of recipes with 30% success rate and only have 2 potions so far. I got like 16 tokens so I think its working but the potion chance is lower??

The potion chance is lower, yep.

Be sure you are only trying to make potions on the combos where the green "new" is lit up. Greyed out was a success on a no-potion combo.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Atoramos posted:

It might be that the events are all planned as multi-year meta-features (which is a really neat idea that I dig) but that Halloween doesn't have much content meant to be reached in the first go-around. IMO if that's the case it would have been better to make the rewards for this year cheaper and just add new ones next year, but who knows. Possibly the second week goes way faster but I doubt it. If all Holidays end up with their own unique features, that would be real cool in the longterm.

edit: Oh, their Discord explains that it's about the meta-event currency (I just hit 150 during this event so I had no idea about this). You get a new gem (Topaz) which in this event impacts the speed you get magic. The game's new enough that nobody's earned enough to fully explore this event.

Yah I don't have enough topaz to buy anything, but even 250 topaz gives a x3 multiplier. Which probably would have been enough to get all the event rewards.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
I feel pretty far along (level 222), and interesting things are still getting unlocked, so that's keeping me engaged.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Dragongem posted:

Mostly enjoying Gooboo. I'm fine with it being a slow burn, personally. Poke at it, get some upgrades, push it forward.

Agree with the poster that said achievements for relics are the huge gains. Getting to keep training for example for horde is making it MUCH faster.

One question - is there a cheat sheet for the potions? I hate the idea of getting resources that I still have no clue how to "farm", then spending them on random chance to maybe get a potion. It doesn't feel fun to me.

Soooo it is apparently a different seed for everyone.

You could just look at the save file, but to me that feels like it destroys some of the fun/challenge. I can tell you that when you level up "ritual chalk" you get a bonus slot that you can throw another ingredient in to do things like getting a hint for the potion. Or improving "ritual familiarity", which gives you a bonus for every failure.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
For anyone else, I bought the dictionary relic from the event, (1.1x knowledge) because it was the same color/shape as the school books. But it instead modified village knowledge, bleah.

Doesn't even have the village icon on it in the relic page.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
I see what dipwood is saying. For example, I've bought a ton of cards and my horde bonus is at 1.3x to attack and health. Bought a couple treasures and I've got 1.2x attack and 1.3x bone (better than health).

Sure the cards *also* feed into prestige.... and once you've filled out your 10 treasures then you have to start breaking them down and upgrading them. But I think you gotta at least buy 10 treasures.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Any way to burn the 'extra' event ingredients to get more night hunt tokens somehow?

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Yah he did something like 100x souls, I had millions too.

Having a hard time figuring out what to do with only 4 equipment slots now, feels strange after having had 10.

Going with (club, toxic sword, red staff, campfire) for now. Everything changed though!

Baddog fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Oct 16, 2023

Baddog
May 12, 2001
clover has a "bonus until prestige" now along with the red staff.

Liver is nice with 10x monster parts every 45s. Feels like we're pushing toward autohotkey land though....

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I figured on doing 1 big push to set the max level bonus and then do this, yeah. I'm up to 51 now and cant upgrade anything

Hmm right there with you, my bigger issue is that I've only got 1/4 of the souls I need to improve anything on prestige.... supposed to just work on heirlooms for a bit? Feels weird.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Pigbuster posted:

I honestly don't get why the dev says that, I think it'd be possible to add a temporary hardcoded migration fix by just checking what entries in the event shop are there or not. A sloppy fix but thems the breaks when you push that kind of oopsie live.

If you're fine with save editing you can fix it yourself by opening a save file in a text/code editor and searching for
code:
,"relic":
That'll bring you to an array of all the relics you've gained. Add the ones you'd bought before the closing bracket of that array:
code:
,"massiveGrain","bronzeTools","dictionary"
Then, delete those entries from the event shop's "shop_big" array. They're formatted like this:
code:
,{"prize":"relic_bronzeTools","taken":0,"data":null}

Thanks for this, I did spend some time going for that dictionary. Hate editing save files, but ehh...

FYI on my current export file the dictionary was already gone from shop_big, didn't have to delete it. Just had to add it to the "relic" list.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Residual Toast posted:

I think it's for full-boss killing now, since it's active removes attack and stuns and bosses don't drop heirloom stuff anymore?

Think it's this, although I think it could use a longer stun, or add wiping stuns, to be able to get into the rotation for bosses.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Zotix posted:

Lmao when you get to T4, don't neglect the obelisk upgrade. I've hard mode toughed it out without it. I thought obelisks were probably a building I had maxed previously and it would give me +1. I didn't realize that it was actually a new building unlock.

Uhhhhh crap I didn't even realize there was a 2nd page of upgrades.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Salvor_Hardin posted:

What loadout are you guys using for horde levels 58+? Best I've found is:

Normal level guys: Shirt, Meat Shield, Camp Fire, Toxic Sword, Club
Boss: Shirt (or Guardian angle if active is up), Meat Shield, Snowflake, Toxic Sword, Toxin

Just gotta hope the active regens can keep up with the damage long enough to pull through.

Swap meat shield for marble pillar if you get a magic conversion sigil.

Funny, I always go for max attack, but your strat does seem to be working better up here. Thanks!

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Ehh I'll try this ironwood thing, requested as redrum

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Xerol posted:

Is the upgrade I have yet to unlock at max depth 90 the one that will let me get enough iron cap to buy the 6th slot? I can probably push for that this run but if that isn't it then I'll just wait until I can reach it more easily.

Mmm, no. Kind of disappointing. Getting to dweller max depth of 15 was good though.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Grapplejack posted:

Gooboo is kind of funny because the dev has said he wants it to be idle heavy but there's an enormous amount of babysitting you have to do

The thing that unlocks at 280 is kinda cool for (some) of that.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Do you mean 290? Because I don't think I got any unlocks at 280

Yah I think I guessed wrong when I tried to remember when it unlocked.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Jhet posted:

I do wish that you could see more of where to acquire the "Keep: Upgrade" relics in gooboo. They're very useful and scattered everywhere. I know they just kind of happen when you hit that level of everything, but they don't feel like a big thing and just something that you could miss happening entirely when they do change your gameplay a bit.

The "look ahead" feature on the regular upgrades is fine and all, but yep, really wanted it on the achievements.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Zotix posted:

I need some help with the farm in GooBoo, because I'm just not getting it. Everyone around my GL has like 20+ more farm levels than I do. I keep crops growing like 24/7 with very minimal overgrow. Everything has prestiged at least one time at level 4+. I don't fertilize often though because of gold. Maybe I should just spam carrots to farm up some gold?

My farm is lagging too (partly because it gets unlocked last, eh?). It's at 46 with global at 301, but I haven't spent that much on it. I do spend sapphires to fertilize when I'm going to do some overgrowth overnight, but I think I could use them more.

You can also buy farm cards, the doubles get you big chunks of crops to buy more upgrades.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
I'll go against the tide by saying I like multiplayer-ish stuff.

I wish ironwood had a bit more, I like working toward stuff as a group. But there I have no idea what we're doing by contributing to gold/quests/events.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
I uhhhh..... Guess I'm not gonna rush to install this patch. Were we cranking through the game too fast?

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Zotix posted:

GooBoo is back baby.

I'm feeling happy cruising along on 1.3.6 still, do I really want to jump?

Baddog
May 12, 2001

dipwood posted:

One of my rewards is a 5.2x Grain gain treasure at 130 snow gems.... it's the only one I want really.

Huh! I've got a big black/greyed out section in the middle of my rewards, I guess I'm not at the point to be eligible for that one? Or its random.... The 2 treasure options I have are 4.2x smeltery (bleah) and 3.4x bone (ehhh ok)

Also I've been going for pets/pet boosts in the event, maybe that was a mistake, doh. Or maybe I just need some more items to make it work, I dunno.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Gooboo - Ooof forgot that topaz doesn't generate during events, I thought I was just a day away from getting more health. Not sure how we are gonna eek out much more here, with all these generators being linear. I put a ton into snow cannons, but its 6.25B for the next item now, and I'm generating ~40M a day. Definitely need to save up to reroll away to something else, but a few more upgrades is probably only going to get us another fight or 2, unless there is something around the corner to help us here...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baddog
May 12, 2001
You can pick overgrowth for carrot and just go nuts with it in a sprinkler row.