Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Lawman 0 posted:

YES: Your Emperor Sucks

YESPOS: Your Emperor'S A Piece of poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Since the man got named in the OP, time for my favorite Diogenes anecdote. Among his many other admirable traits, he would from time to time stand outside brothels and scream at the top of his lungs, "a beautiful whore is like poisoned fruit!" at patrons as they entered. Annoyed by this, and presumably his smell as well, said patrons would fling small coins at Diogenes to shut him up. Once he'd scrounged up enough money, he would of course go into the brothel himself.

God drat Diogenes was such a shitbird.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

twoday posted:

Welcome to the C-SPAM Ancient History thread!

This thread was born out of a massive derail in the Epstein thread that lead to pages of discussion about the ancient Roman pantheon, the Bronze Age Collapse, the Minoans, and a bunch of other stuff. C-SPAM seems to have a lot to say about this, so now you can do that here. Feel free to argue about the identity of the Sea Peoples or whatever other niche you have wondered into and want to talk about.

The western definition of "ancient history" is not universally applicable to the cultures of the world, and this is certainly not going to be a thread limited to the "classical world" of Eurasia-Africa, so the definition of 'ancient' will vary accordingly per culture and place. I won't define that, I just want to note that discussions about Pre-Columbian American history, for instance, or other societies from the distant past are also welcome and encouraged here.

Feel free to post documentaries and podcasts and links to articles, or just engage in pleasant friendly debate about minutia that nobody else knows or cares about anymore. The Mayans were right and the world is ending, but we still don't know how they built the pyramids, so here's your last chance to figure it out!

Hey dude, from where is that graphic? I'd like to fix two typos in it and then put it on a T-shirt.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Real hurthling! posted:

the word barbarians, from greek barbaroi, is literally exactly the same kind of insult as if we called chinese people "ching chong" today.
the greeks felt that bar bar bar was what west asians sounded like

I don't know why but this struck me as very funny.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
Anthropology is another field where this type of ascientific dogmatic thought dominates due to lovely presumptions and, frankly, racist-rear end motherfucking old white men from Ivy League schools.

A buddy of mine did a master's in physical anthro that attempted to explain why a certain type of ceramic pot style arose in a group of people. At the time it was thought that it was a fad or a style that arose due to "unquantifiable cultural characteristics." Well, my friend and his mentor recreated these pots, which were used for cookware, and guess what? The newer pot, due to its physical characteristics, loving cooked food more efficiently thus reducing fuel needs. That's why it spread, it was a better tool!

The biggest mistake modern window lickers make is that they think ancient man is dumb. Our ancestors were whip smart, in tune with nature, and knew how to observe the world around them because if they couldn't they loving died. So much of our modern existence removes us from this environment, it's little wonder that even our scholars can't fathom how a brown hunter-gatherer could make a raft; after all, I can't do that, and I'm a Harvard Man!

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Don't doxx me please

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Mods, name change please!

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Real hurthling! posted:

albania shares a indo european root with alps to mean mountainous

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU SHARE A ROOT WITH THE ALPS

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Lemniscate Blue posted:

No, on purpose.

:rimshot:

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Goast posted:

I was think more of mecca being hidden inside everyone's rear end but that works too

It may be in your rear end, as that's a place where everyone comes.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Chucat posted:

2) Prior to the Battle of Pydna, there was a lunar eclipse. The Macedonians proceed to freak the gently caress out and treat it like an ill omen. Meanwhile, the Roman commander tells all his soldiers beforehand "There's gonna be an eclipse, so don't panic, it'll last like 30 minutes" and all the soldiers think he's a loving badass. (You might want to take this one with a grain of salt though).

Lol I like this one, got a source for it?

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Chucat posted:

Yeah Livy has it.

Wow, that implies that the dude had some sort of (at least partial) model of a heliocentric solar system. That's loving crazy!

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Agean90 posted:

I remember hearing somewhere that Vlad the impaler mostly did the whole implaling thing on noblemen and that if you were just some peasant he actually rocked because he loving hated useless nobility so much that you got a fair say in trails and poo poo.

That's awesome, do you have a source on that?

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

twoday posted:

shout out to all the forensics experts out there who are diligently working to create reconstructions of ancient people that don't look like they could possibly be accurate

Julius Caesar:

What in the gently caress?

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Squalid posted:

No, nobody's really certain of any of the bust reputed to represent Julius Caesar. That one with the weirdly shaped head is the most likely contemporary depiction but even that's disputed.

Everyone post the bust of your favorite emperor:

Elagabalus: the Rome's queerest Emperor. Murdered for being too much of a fuckboi

I fought a dude in a trailer park that looked exactly like this.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

twoday posted:

I made this recipe for roman dill chicken once with rabbit when I found some cheap rabbit meat and it was great

also back in the old days the EU used to import cheap ostrich meat from South Africa sometimes (there is an embargo now) and I made some roman recipe from north africa with ostrich cooked in fig stew.

Roman food is very good and tasty, and very different from most cuisine I have ever tasted. Things like asafoetida and lovage leaves or lovage seeds can be found in Persian or Indian shops. Fish sauce from south east Asia is a substitute for Garum (there is even a theory that it originated with the Phoenicians and spread to Asia via Phoenician/Roman maritime trade). The hardest thing to replicate is the various reductions of wine which they used, especially since they rely on very specific styles of wine which are very rare now (usually very sweet, or aged with raisins in them or something).

The cookbook of Apicius is still available and filled with tons of recipes that anyone can try out.

I think the thing I took away most from Roman cooking has to do with parsnips. They used to use them the way modern europeans use potatoes - boil em, mash em etc. And it was found that the roots of parsley grew larger and larger the further north you went, so they were important to the conquest of northern Gaul and Britain. Parsnip mash is really great! Also half potato/half parsnip mash.

Pro-tip: when a recipe asks for chopped leeks to be sprinkled on top at the end, it refers to wild leeks which were much smaller back in those days; use green onions as a substitute.

There's a recipe for Parthian chicken served with defructum out there on the internet that absolutely slaps. I highly recommend it.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Nebakenezzer posted:

I politely demand you post this

https://followinghadrian.com/2014/01/17/a-taste-of-ancient-rome-pullum-particum-parthian-chicken-and-parthian-chickpeas/

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

fabergay egg posted:

the central economic sphere of production and distribution in bronze age mesopotamia were the temple complexes. they made things, they employed people, and they sold things, and were the main economic entities that the majority of people would deal with. merchants would trade between cities and thus between temple economies, and the system of interlocking trade and tribute routes stretched across the entire mediterranean basin and at least as far as what is now iran. trade in copper (and tin), as ea-nasir and nanni are involved in, was essential to the whole economic system, which stayed pretty similar all the way up until it violently collapsed around 1200 bce.

these merchants were involved in trade for profit, but they were not capitalists, and the system was not capitalism. there was little or no practice of wage labor, and the means of production of goods were concentrated in the temples and not in the hands of the merchant class who carried out intercity and interstate trade. money in this system was a means of exchange and denomination of debts, the classic commodity-money-commodity cycle that marx described as distinct from the money-commodity-money system of capitalism.

e: michael hudson describes this system here, including how it was the origin of money itself.

Thanks so much for this, as someone not well-versed in socioeconomic world history I struggle trying to explain to others how capitalism wasn't always around and other economic systems existed and bought/sold things without being capitalist.

Re: the bolded parts, could you link some more info about this? I've never heard about this and would like to know more in order to dunk on libs.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Ah thanks, I haven't made it past chapter 2 yet.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Jesus Christ I just finished this chapter and Marx makes so much sense it's a bit disturbing. It's like having blinders taken off my eyes.

Imagine if we as a society hid how electricity works, then someone just threw out "read theory loser, look up Coulomb" on a dead gay internet form and now you know that opposite charges attract and from that you get current flow.

Absolutely criminal.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

HookedOnChthonics posted:

however hard it is for us to believe): alone among people known to einhard, charlemagne could read silently, in his head, without pronouncing the words as he went :wth:

Wait wait wait. You're telling me that most people in these times who were literate read out loud like my seven year old does?

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Some Guy TT posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/curtainsdc/status/1374406667287158786

im the four non touching districts of massachusetts

the gerrymanders on that thing would be epic

There's actually five by my count.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Tulip posted:

If reading random broadsheets from the 18th century taught me anything it's that early America was basically a heavily armed frat house scaled up to the size of a country, so they'd probably just be pissed at the price of beer.

Still is

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Some Guy TT posted:

i have some horrifying news about caligula

https://mobile.twitter.com/ArtifactsHub/status/1377866670966902788

he may not have been gay

Missing the rest of gostse

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Drunkboxer posted:

Yeah I thought people were just criticizing the specific risk map. And Risk is a great game because you can make your friends so pissed off at you, it owns

I got roped into a LotR risk game where I just went berserker. The die were very friendly to me, and I just owned the whole table in like two hours, drunk off my rear end. It ruined a TON of grad school friendships.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Holy gently caress this rules

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Drunkboxer posted:

Rustius Barbarus sounds like a pain in the rear end.

He does sound like a bit much.

"HEY FUCKER WHY DIDN'T YOU WRITE ME ABOUT ALL THAT BREAD I SENT YOUR WAY HUH?!??

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Real hurthling! posted:

a scrappy dude named titus manlius "necklace guy" has your answer

per wiki: In 361 BC, Titus Manlius fought in the army of Titus Quinctius Poenus Capitolinus Crispinus against the Gauls during the Battle of the Anio River. When a Gaul of enormous size and strength challenged the Romans to single combat, Manlius accepted the challenge with the approval of Poenus after the rest of the army had held back from responding for a long period of time. Despite being physically inferior, he killed the Gaul with blows to the belly and groin, after which he stripped the corpse of a torc and placed it around his own neck. From this, he gained the agnomen Torquatus, a title that was passed down also to his descendants.[4]

I love that a bunch of Roman agnomens (agnomenii?) are essentially the first century BC equivalent of Italian mob nicknames. "EEEEEEEEEYYYYYYYYY get a load-a Mr. 'Wears A Torq Guy' we got here!"

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
Two words:
Atom
Bomb

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Fish of hemp posted:

How did slavery became a major economic model in Americas? Because as I understand it, direct slavery had "fell out of fashion" in Europe in favor of serfdom and guilds and church didn't find it very christian. So how did it happen again in the new world?

Protestants.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

gently caress

this made me very angry

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Absolute nightmare fuel

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Wow Moscow got got real bad

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Slavvy posted:

Resurrected 12th century Persian goes on a mission to fight cloned neanderthal cyborgs

I'd watch the gently caress outta that.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Antonymous posted:

I use 90% rubbing alcohol on a Brillo pad to remove every last drop of disgusting oil from my skin each night before tucking in

Bro do you even deoleanate? 50:50 acetone:ethyl acetate mix applied by a power washer is the only way to degrease after a long day.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Agean90 posted:

wow an engineer knows jack poo poo outside his specialty who could have seen this coming

Yeah I can't believe that loving loser thinks that psychology is a worthwhile field of study.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Diogenes was the FYAD to Plato's D&D

I don't think that's very fair to Diogenes and I think that gives too much credit to the cunts infesting D&D.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

fabergay egg posted:

mathematics is just applied schizophrenia
The fact that people do math better on amphetamines supports this statement.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

indigi posted:

doing research can be a pain in the rear end now, I can't even imagine digging through centuries of sources in multiple languages to figure out that 300 years ago they calculated that the solstice would be on June 22 this year

Thing is, there just wasn't that much stuff to read 3000 years ago compared to now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Tulip posted:

New entry in "making up a guy to get mad at:"

Guy so committed to monarchism that he insists Rome fell in 509BCE.

Hey leave the Federalist Society out of this!