Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

How unbelievably difficult is it to exit this black hole tutorial that also uninstalls your windows??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Always hate the English.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

The "New World" map type features an "empty" continent for everyone to colonize. Extremely not cool.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

We should probably put an alert in the op before we lose more people to the tutorial. RIP.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

This is already so much more interesting than Civ6.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Xarbala posted:

I'm flabbergasted there's no ability to name empires to make it easier to keep track of players.

Also for narrative clarity

The colours, icons and avatars in the game are exactly for this.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

How are Amplitude with patches, content updates and dlc generally?

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Has anyone tried to use the "Under One Banner" expansionist ability? When targeted at peaceful civs it says you need to be at war, but when I targeted it at someone I was at war with it said I needed to change diplomatic status..

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Why is the claim wonder button hidden where it is good lord.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Eimi posted:

I'm playing on the beta and something that I've noticed is that civics scale insanely fast, as does the cost of attaching cities. I have a useless 20~ pop city that I just can't do poo poo because I want to attach it but it costs 50k!!!! influence do. :psyduck: Also just enacting some civics that before had a cost of like 2k is 20k. Weird poo poo going on.

Thought I did find out that the harbor civs are amazing if you set up to exploit them. With mostly coastal cities you can get basically 4 harbors per territory. Normal harbor, Cothon, Whatever the Norse one is called, and then another harbor. Going the food based faith stuff this basically solves food for the entire game for you. It surprised the hell out of me for how effective it is.

A decent spot on the Phoenician one is an easy +10 food +10 gold. You can just settle in the middle of coastal forests and not worry about food at all.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

FractalSandwich posted:

Is it worth sticking around in the Neolithic to pick up the extra trait? The bonus is pretty huge, but is it worth the cost in tempo? Especially if it could mean missing your shot at the Ancient culture you want?

Yeah, you have to weigh up what you want to do and what the trade-offs are.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

poverty goat posted:

e: Has anyone ever successfully picked the Harappans (agrarian) in the ancient era? Or is this just one of those things the cheating AI will always get first, forever

You can yeah.

- Change out your AI opponents. Militaristic ones, for example, prefer other civs.
- Use auto-scout for turns or partial turns where you aren't sure where to go. It'll heat-seek resources through the fog.
- Be careful wasting turns chasing dead-end berries or getting bogged down in river systems/forests.
- Pick rewards that help you star up now(+hunters) rather than the discount research ones.
- Bonus hunters from events start with full move so split them off so they can use it.
- Split your second hunter off so you cover double the area but then try to move in 2s so they can hunt mammoths or temporarily split to efficiently pick up resources.

Ratios and Tendency fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Aug 27, 2021

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

If you build a farm over a forest river, negating it's production, would the tile still qualify for a lumbermill?

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Ratios and Tendency posted:

If you build a farm over a forest river, negating it's production, would the tile still qualify for a lumbermill?

Tested it myself and it doesn't. The religious tenet that gives forest production does work though, confusingly.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Just click and drag the map.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Is there any structure to how sanctuaries spawn animals? I thought I'd give endless mammoth hunting a go in the Neolithic, as I found two sanctuaries close by, but after 20 turns I got nothing but deer.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Ah ok, farming mammoths for a while in the Neolithic makes the culture and expansion civs much smoother. You can get your second city up asap and disband your swarm of hunters to immediately populate them both.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

pro starcraft loser posted:

What determines how long it will take to construct an outpost?

The second one I laid down took like 16 turns. I built 3 and 4 before it finished.

Like others have said - the production of the placement, but, it also receives a boost based on the strength of the army placing it. You can buy it out as well once you're out of the Neolithic.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

I think the morphing cultures is great, the issue is that the leaders currently don't have enough personality to hold it together.

Ratios and Tendency fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Sep 4, 2021

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Is there some simple way to tweak map scripts so I can get close/semi-touching continents? No 4x seems to include this as an option even though it's how the actual world is set out and it always drives me crazy. There's even a continent closeness setting right there but they only put in separated and chaotic options :psyduck:

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Magil Zeal posted:

I know the game sure likes to talk about another nations' wonders and/or whether or not I captured them.

It also congratulated me on "building my first ship" when I produced a construction team. Never mind all the ships I found in curiosities with embarked units.

You didn't build those game vindicated.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

victrix posted:

Has anyone noticed any correlation between AI temperaments and culture choices in ancient?

Changing out the AI picks can definitely influence which civs get snapped up first.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Khmer were pretty op irl tbf.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Veryslightlymad posted:

Patronage is straight up busted and unbalanced. You don't need to own all the copies of a resource to claim yourself as the best at it, merely to have access to half. So if you're sitting on one pearl, and some other empire across the planet has 6 deposits of pearls, you can trade for their pearls, specifically so you can then declare "Actually, my pearls are the best pearls" and get an enormous empire wide bonus for having done so. Just utterly ridiculous

This feels like the type of game where almost everything is busted good.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Yeah, I think the ease and permanence of buying resources is a major issue right now.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Yeah I'm really enjoying it.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Your absolute priority in the Neolithic is mammoths and don't click up if you have more nearby + get a second city up asap; don't spend any influence until you've got it.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

The second city is a massive influence source itself letting you snowball expansion and if they pinch a good sector next to you you can just demand the grievance on it backed up by 2 cities worth of military production.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Yep.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

pro starcraft loser posted:

I was playing it like Civ 6. Build a science quarter and just that one.
Don't do that.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

I've loaded this up a couple times recently but the base AI personalities just loving suck, they just come across as random Apple commercial shitheads. I tried to sign up for the lovely G2G thing to download some but it didn't like my email.

Still no map option for an Earth-like continent distribution either. It's a bummer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

The base leaders absolutely suck. Because you're constantly picking new cultures through time you need that strong personality to pull things together and they just don't. Not only are they a random half-assed assortment of mythological figures most people haven't heard of, they just don't have any personality. I think I've said this before, but they remind me of the fake people from Apple ads rather than world leaders. I don't think there's anything in game that even tells you who most of them are either.

There's lots of interesting ideas but after playing through a full game I didn't feel any compulsion to start up another one and just moved on.

e/ Like, as an exercise, give me a sentence that describes Tjilbruke based on your experience with the game?

Ratios and Tendency fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Nov 24, 2022