Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Bernier: I'm not behind the "no mass immigration" billboards

Bernier's platform: "Mass immigration bad"

:thonk:

Gotta say I'm not wholly disgusted by Pattison Outdoor's response

except of course the part where a media corporation confused breech with breach

oh yeah and the part where they totally didn't anticipate the racist candidate calling for an end to mass immigration would lead to the public offering them a chance to take the billboards down before they mysteriously burned down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Dreylad posted:

Remember when Canadian banks got caught overcharging on top of charging 2-3% MER? Good poo poo.

I believe you mean MOR.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Not even! The chain said "nope that's too late but if someone who really wants it feels like asking Vachon themselves, fill your boots", some Chief heard that Bernier had put them in a bind, so he took it upon himself to drive around every grocery store in Quinte buying up Jos Louis.

From the sounds of things he submitted an MTEC to compensate him for gas and mileage, too. And why not? Fastballs are expensive, Sir.

quote:

Deux heures plus tard, un courriel noté comme étant de «haute importance» arrive au major Heilman. «Nous avons contacté tous les distributeurs et les détaillants de Kingston à Toronto. Nous pouvons seulement trouver 46 boîtes de (six) gâteaux au caramel. Tout compte fait, la demande nous est arrivée tout simplement trop tard», écrit le lieutenant-colonel Rob Dundon. «La meilleure solution serait que l'individu qui désire distribuer les gâteaux (je ne sais pas qui c'est) contacte Vachon lui-même. Ce serait une opération de relations publiques tellement fabuleuse que je peux vous garantir que Vachon accepterait d'envoyer un chauffeur à l'aéroport demain matin!»

Finalement, c'est l'adjudant-chef Marc Desgagné, rattaché aux services alimentaires de la 8e escadre, qui sauve la mise. Alerté du problème par un ancien collègue, Desgagné saute dans sa voiture et fait la tournée des Food Basics, Sobeys, No Frills et Wal-Mart de Trenton, Belleville et Brighton entre 18h et 20h le soir. Desgagné prend même la peine de contacter la cuisine du Camp Mirage à Kandahar pour demander que les gâteaux soient sortis et mis au frais aussitôt que l'Airbus atterrira en Afghanistan.

Dans une précision toute militaire, un homme de l'armée répond à Heilman le lendemain matin aux aurores qu'à 22h4 la veille, Desgagné a réussi à se procurer 2185 gâteaux. Coût total de l'opération improvisée: 972,16 $ pour les Jos Louis et 79,20 $ pour les déplacements de Desgagné.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Hexigrammus posted:

gently caress It, I'm Going To Stay Home, Smoke Weed, and Masturbate Party.

Great, there goes another $20 million to the RCMP.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

painted into a coroner posted:

Sure, they said they will apply it to everything,

Everyone applies their inherent biases to the things they say and do. There's nothing wrong with a candidate drawing a circle around that fact when they talk, and anyone who suggests it does probably has a bigger axe to grind with the candidates [prohibited grounds]-ness than with the topic being debated.

tagesschau posted:

How the hell is a leader of the provincial wing of CUPE, and former leader of the Ontario Federation of Labour, not a lock for the NDP nomination? :wtc:

fake edit: in Oshawa of all places

The only way this makes sense is if they were acclaiming him when he felt he ought not to have been, but who in his right mind pulls the pin for that?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Dippers... gonna... dip?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Pinterest Mom posted:

I'm not in love with the small business framing but capping merchant fees is legitimately a good thing, Visa/MC are using their monopoly power to amass huge profits by skimming off the top of a huge portion of all transactions.

I was about to point out that Interac exists, but then I stopped and thought about how many retail transactions are made with the customer's own money.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Chillyrabbit posted:

Only thing I thought was stupid/wrong about the article was the expectation that only women or people with feminist views knew what was best. But they did call it out and say they are looking at making it a unisex type of view.

From my point of view as a civil engineer all the design ideas they introduce are just common sense ideas that make the neighborhood better. It probably is just a failing of the article that they can't condense all the little bits that change the city from male dominated to unisex.

I want walkable cities, I like parks, I like to bike around on protected pathways, Benches I never thought about but its nice to have areas to hang out and sit, extra Lighting I believe helps fight crime in general.

In fact if you ignored the gendered lens it seems like its just making a city more sustainable, by enhancing non-car use.

It's CPTED by another name, and no worse an idea than it was the first time.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Letting a foreign pharma company Shkreli a little girl into a $100k/year bill for eyedrops is indeed absurd, but that's the "free market"'s fault, not Health Canada's. If we had a nationalized pharmacare program with the power to tell these human roaches to gently caress off, this wouldn't be an issue.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Only the ones who've been paying attention to our government.

So, by and large, I guess that's a no.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Bigoted man who believes climate change is a myth: "Someone else has brain problems"

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

It's all the poor people's fault. If we stopped giving away our tax dollars to the poor and the immigrants Alberta would be Great Again

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Corporation: "To hell with all of humanity, you can die in climate change fire"
A&W: "To hell with all of humanity, you can die in climate change fire without joining a union"
Chick fila: "To hell with all of humanity, but especially the gays, by which we mean gays are evil and should be purged from the earth for their wickendess and burn forever in hellfire with satan, and everyone else can die in climate change fire"

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

I avoid a brand to publicly denounce the values of the people responsible for it, and as a part of making that statement I choose another brand becauuohhhwhoa you almost caught me there.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

It's not whataboutism, it's "oh and also"ism.

One guy being bad doesn't make the other guy good. Lots of them can be bad. It's okay for you to have a threshold of badness and refuse to patronize anyone who crosses it, for your own reasons that are your own.

If your purpose is less about finding lunch and more about publicly declaring corporations to be poo poo, well, be ready for the "those things you have came from society" guy

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Helsing posted:

It's a very blatant example of how we naturalizes the mistreat of workers and act like it is completely legitimate as long as it only attacks them in their capacity as workers.

Someday I'm gonna work myself out of the working class and then it'll be my turn to poo poo on the schmucks.

See also: Capricious rear end in a top hat Senior NCMs.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

A fundamentalist Christian restaurant couldn't stay alive in Calgary.

There's hope for us yet.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Because it's heaven where the prairie caucus grows old and racist

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

littleorv posted:

Bleeeeeghhhahhahahahehxiwbs

Bit early for a new thread title innit?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Welcome to your Canada years

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Election song "to avoid legal trouble with other artists' music'

Yeah because licensing is so hard and totally the driving factor here; not the artist coming out a minute later and saying "eugghhh no not that fuckin guy"

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Israel's not special, if their government does something you don't like (beyond "exist") why shouldn't you speak agains

quote:

The Canadian Jewish News reported that her past posts called Israel "practically a serial rapist" and Zionism a "made-up cult" and stated that Israelis need "mental health workers" to help with "getting over" their post-traumatic stress from the Holocaust.

:yikes:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

He's also cool with candidates who've said hateful things in the past, and looked confused when questioned about dropping someone for staying on-brand.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

So they're promising a consultation before they charge ahead and do whatever they want

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Oh yeah, using words like that is supposed to get you a grouchy email from the crime reader or the court liaison officer. I imagine everyone missing that before it gets to court would lead to exactly this kind of giftwrapped discrimination challenge.

Not that lying on the stand exactly helps your case either

quote:

she crossed paths with a Montreal police vehicle

The officers claimed they had pulled her over because they saw that the woman was driving a vehicle belonging to a man.

The two officers said they could see a woman and a man inside the car and that they were able to look up the vehicle's license plate, but that it was too dark to see the colour of their skin.

Hell yeah she was justified in tearing a strip off of them. Good on her.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Randalor posted:

I'm not sure if "we pulled her over because she's a woman" is more or less dumb than "we pulled her over because she's not white". What century do those officers think it is?

They claimed the former because they didn't want to admit to the latter, and the judge called them on their obvious bullshit.

quote:

Est-ce que ces protestations de Mme Baptiste étaient sincères? Il est difficile de croire le contraire lorsqu’on considère les circonstances. Les policiers ont suivi l’automobile conduite par la défenderesse, sans l’intercepter, depuis la rue Ste-Catherine jusqu’à l’entrée du Pont Jacques-Cartier et ensuite sur le pont jusqu’à la sortie du Parc Jean-Drapeau. Ils n’ont observé aucune infraction dans la conduite du véhicule.

[20] Le motif invoqué par les policiers pour justifier leur décision de faire demi-tour et d’intercepter le véhicule est le fait qu’une femme conduisait un véhicule appartenant à un homme :

(…) je peux voir qu’une femme conduit le véhicule et qu’il semble avoir un homme assis du côté passager. Suite au retour du CRPQ, je constate que le véhicule appartient à un homme. Nous décidons alors de faire demi-tour et intercepter le véhicule (…)

[21] Le sexe de la conductrice n’est pas un motif légitime pour intercepter un véhicule, même s’il appartient à un homme. À la face même du rapport policier, c’est un cas de discrimination basée sur le sexe.

[22] L’allégation d’un feu de freinage central « brûlé » n’est ajoutée que dans le paragraphe suivant du rapport et me paraît peu convaincante comme motif d’interception. Selon le rapport, la décision d’« intercepter le véhicule pour vérifier le permis de conduire de la conductrice » avait déjà été prise. De plus, les agents n’ont jamais remis de constat d’infraction pour un feu « brûlé ».

[23] Et je ne crois pas l’affirmation des policiers selon laquelle, lorsqu’ils étaient à l’intersection des rues Ste-Catherine et Papineau, il leur était « impossible » de voir la couleur de peau des occupants de la Dodge Caravan alors qu’ils pouvaient voir que le véhicule était conduit par une femme avec un homme assis du côté passager. Cela dépasse l’entendement. S’il y avait quelque chose d’impossible à voir par les policiers à ce moment, c’était bien plus la plaque d’immatriculation du véhicule de la défenderesse. La position des véhicules, décrite de façon identique par tous les témoins, rendait cette plaque impossible à voir par les policiers jusqu’au moment où ils ont croisé la Caravan. Et encore là, il aurait fallu qu’ils tournent la tête à 180° pour voir l’arrière du véhicule qui s’éloignait, derrière eux, dans le sens opposé. Par conséquent, je ne crois pas les motifs allégués par les policiers pour justifier leur interception du véhicule.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Abolishing the government bodies that purport to legitimize naturopathy/homeopathy would indeed be fantastic, but how do you do it without also taking away the "we've examined this particular sugar-water and can confirm drinking gallons of it didn't kill any rats"-certificate?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

I mean the stupid Health Canada process that paints it with a veneer of credibility it definitely does not deserve.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Does THIS look like a Prime Minister?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Jagmeet re-enacting this photo right now would be hilarious.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

What's this religious headdress going to do to his election chances in Quebec?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

"More enthusiastic about costumes"

It's not even the third week of fuckin' september but sure let's pop the top offa this "Your culture is my costume" thing again.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

"Doing a thing you regret"

Interesting take.

Hey remember when Ted Danson made national news for showing up in blackface to the Friars' Club in nineteen ninety goddamned three, and basically every media outlet dragged that story out for a solid two weeks because what he'd done was unquestionably outrageous by the standards of that day? I was in like, eleventh grade or something, and a total social moron ("was"?), and even I didn't need that one explained to me.

Everyone's got regrets yeah, that's not the story I see here. I see an educated, privileged white dude who lived through the 80s, 90s and 2000s looking me in the eye and telling me he straightup didn't know blackface was wrong. No way, man. Better would've been to admit that he did know it was wrong, it being wrong was the reason he'd done it, and then maybe turn the knobs a bit to lead the followup questions away from the topic of black humour, idk i'm not a politician

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

PT6A posted:

* extremely The Count voice *

THREE! Three black face incidents, ah ah ah!

Nice casual antimagyarism, a term I definitely did not have to google

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Falstaff posted:

It's just a shame about every other topic he ever comments on.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Birdie num num for thought.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Brony Car posted:

How much play is this story getting? Does Canada do 24/7 horse race-minded saturation coverage too?

Yes and yes.

The 24 hour news cycle is an abomination.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

The photo's an issue but his response is going to disappoint a lot of small-L-liberal voters.

His claim that it was "acceptable at the time" won't be hurt by the South Asian man in the turban standing right next to him in one of those photos, but it still hinges on us believing that a silver-spoon white dude somehow made it to the year two thousand and one without knowing it was wrong to dress up as another ethnicity. Enough noise had been made on the topic in the preceding decades that there was no way he couldn't have known this, so at least one leg of his apology is made of obvious bullshit.

The other problem is the number of opposing candidates from all parties who've been canceled for bigoted tweets, social media posts and whatnot. When asked about this, all he'd say is that he'd "have conversations".

Our biggest complaint about the Conservatives is the disturbing overlaps between their policies and various forms of bigotry. The NDP are bland and largely ineffective for reasons Helsing reliably enumerates every time an election cycle threatens us with their legitimacy. There are no other credible contenders for the undecided-but-not-the-racist-guy vote, which is fantastic news for the right.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

DariusLikewise posted:

Almost all the Syrian Refugees the government claimed to resettle were private sponsorships and the government more recently had cut funding for english classes for immigrants and refugees so a lot of the people that were brought over are stuck with a remedial understanding of the majority language in this country.

Time for this article again

https://www.ledroit.com/chroniques/patrick-duquette/le-ghetto-syrien-dottawa-9c56c7ebe3a7eb332899e8d368a77a05

quote:

Quand la première vague de réfugiés syriens est arrivée au Canada, en décembre 2015, le gouvernement fédéral a logé plusieurs familles dans deux grosses barres d’immeubles de la rue Donald, à Ottawa.

Ils y sont toujours, deux ans et demi plus tard.

Des dizaines de familles syriennes y vivent dans des logements souvent trop petits et mal adaptés. Des familles isolées de la société d’accueil, qui se parlent arabe entre eux, qui ne maîtrisent ni l’anglais ni le français. Avec des problèmes de dépression, de stress post-traumatique, de chômage. Beaucoup n’ont pas d’emploi. Et de moins en moins d’espoir.

Je vous le dis : ça ressemble à un ghetto.

Granted, 1240 Donald had resembled a ghetto for years for one very good reason, but the point still stands. Their situation is technically better than it was by living in a tent city in a warzone, but it is by no means an enviable state anyone responsible for it should be publicly expressing any pride in having created.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

ThanosWasRight posted:

Also first-generation immigrants almost never speak the language of the country they immigrated to each other in private. Why would they? gently caress most second-generation immigrants and a lot of third-generation ones don't. That doesn't mean jack poo poo.

It's not speaking Arabic to each other that's the issue, it's not being able to speak any other language, as implied by the rest of the sentence I pasted and spelled out by the article. If the only people you can talk to are other unemployed chainsmoking shutins with sad brains, you're going to go to a very bad place mentally and stay there with no hope, which does some entirely predictable things to the young people you're raising and the place you're raising them.

I have no idea how many of the of the tens of thousands of people we brought here are stuck in that kind of trap, but I can't imagine that racing against an arbitrary, self-imposed timeline did a whole lot to make the support system more capable of helping them adjust.