Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

How are UP Eclipse sleeves rated these days? I got a pack of 100 but a few are already showing wear after a few games, while the Dragonshields and Katanas are more or less spotless. Did I just have bad luck with mine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Star Man posted:

I'm an UltraPro fanboy and their only good sleeves are the regular pro matte sleeves.

rip, hope they get a followup from TCC then.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

This is why you discard first.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Chulane is great if you can get a creature that lets you ramp crazy like district guide out. Gyre engineer is a tap for UG, and Incubation Druid can get really good if you can sneak enough mana by to adapt her. If they cannot get rid of him fast enough, you're basically a pseudo Feather but with ETB effects. Forbidden Spirit to force them to choose between playing spells and actually attack. Frilled Mystic to counter spells. Kraul Harpooner to remove flyers. Thorn Mammoth as targeted removal. Etc.

Parhelion II works well enough if you can keep it alive. Once you pump out one angel token, it's basically self-reliant. Frilled Mystic is very useful for keeping it from getting hit by removal for that initial turn. The other main winning combo I've found is playing creatures using Thorn Mammoth's ability to remove creatures, then End-Raze Forerunners and attacking with your entire line.

Victory lap is using biomancer's familiar to make Chulane's ability even cheaper. I had a game where I was playing and returning Forbidden Spirit to my hand every turn to keep my opponent from destroying me, delaying the game long enough to get twice as many lands out and most of my utility creatures, then followed up with the mammoth and hogs.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I imagine Adventure cards being exiled rather than using counters or poo poo to track it is to avoid the potential of someone thinking it's a permanent in play they can destroy, as opposed to a card in exile which is usually considered untouchable.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

SalTheBard posted:

I made a very janky Golgari deck that is all about getting Drakuseth, Maw of the Flames in the Graveyard, and then using Bond of Revival to pull it out and win the game. It wins pretty frequently but I mostly play unranked matches. Essentially the best starting hand is like 2 lands (1B, 1G), Erstwhile Trooper, Drak, Bond, Llanowar Elf, Leyline Prowler. I take a mulligan if I don't have a bond in my starting hand.

4x Llanowar Elves (ramp obviously)
2x Status // Statue (Creature / Enchantment removal, and in a pinch potentially give a creature deathtouch)
3x Kraul Harpooner (to take out enemy flyers)
4x Glowspore Shaman (chance to mill drak into gy, but also make sure I can get 5 mana to play Bond of Revival)
4x Gorging Vulture (see above, but also healing when I mill a creature)
4x Erstwhile Trooper (use them to sac a drak in my hand)
2x Leyline Prowler (ramp)
3x Deathsproud (ramp and removal)
2x Golgari Findbroker (use them to pull Kraul Harpooner out if I need flying removal, if not I use them for Underrealm Lich)
4x Bond of Revival (the key card in the deck)
1x Underrealm Lich (I would get more of them, but I don't have that many mythic rare wild cards and it's not like I take this deck seriously. Use it to make sure I DON'T mill a Bond of Revival)
4x Drakuseth, Maw of Flames (The "I win" button of this deck, deals roughly ~17 damage, per swing. Can clear entire boards at once)
2x Molderhulk (Back up in case for some reason you can't get a Drak in play)
7x Swamp
6x Forest
1x Overgrown Tomb
3x Temple of Malady (So you don't accidentally mill a Bond of Revival)

Sounds hilarious. I kind of want to run it IRL.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

SalTheBard posted:

It's very hilarious because most of the time once I get Drak into play it's an auto concede.

EDIT: I just calculated the price in Paper Magic and it's like $12

Too bad about rotation soon. And probably wouldn't hurt to have a sideboard.

But I have been wanting to play a Golgari deck (I got my hands on some JP art Vraska sleeves so now I feel obligated to run something Golgari) so hopefully it can be retuned when Eldraine comes out.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Kurtofan posted:

lol come on, it's a loving tower, does everything has to do about 9/11

Yes. Meanwhile, the forever war.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Turn Parhelion II into a pie.

It's great. All those angels in one little bite.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

TheKingofSprings posted:

Take the draw, discard down to hand size with Phantasmagorian, pitch your entire hand to bring back Phantasmagorian, cycle Street Wraiths to dredge like a motherfucker.

E: Also Balustrade Spy turns it into Oops, All Spells and you just randomly kill your opponent turn 2 by flipping your deck upside down and Dread Returning Lotleth Giant

If I did want to get into legacy, I'd play the gently caress out of this just because it's a cheapo deck that can still work. Also, no lands is my kind of perverse.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Kurtofan posted:

ayula was deposed in the bear revolution

Is Ayula even a real bear? Who here has heard of a bear that is born from a tree and raised on sap? Sounds like some kind of infiltrator.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Managed to get a foiled Oko, Thief of Crowns as my promo card. My LGS has it listed for $120 but that seems waaaaay beyond the prices everywhere else but I guess I'll drop in tomorrow to see how much they'll give me for it. And probably play more pre-release.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Jabor posted:

If you're a middle-aged man who watches and enjoys my little pony then you are absolutely deserving of mockery, unless it's a "my child enjoys it and I will support their interests" thing.

If an actual child enjoys children's television then there's nothing wrong with that.

Yawgmoth posted:

People like to have fun and sometimes giving a thing you made a fun name is fun. So the answer to you question is "people who enjoy fun names" with the addendum of "if you don't, shut the gently caress up and let people enjoy things."

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I'm stupid and got Vraska JP art sleeves and planning to get the JP art playmat. But haven't found a standard Golgari deck I'd like to play because none of them have a Vraska in them.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Double sleeved my commander decks and even flattened them under some textbooks but they keep, uh, reinflating?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

GoutPatrol posted:

new card smell degassing

You shuffle them strange? What % of are foil?

Just mash shuffling and only the odd foil here and there, so probably less than 15 in both decks combined? Using Katana outers, KMC Perfect Fit inners. They're clearly holding less air after I squish them flat (using a marble coaster, just gently pressing/letting gravity do the work before actually pushing down) than before but they're still getting some volume of air back afterwards. If I store them top-down in the flip and tray card holders, they are just a tad less reinflated over time than when I leave them top up.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Magnetic North posted:

I wonder if you're using enough weight/time. When I do it with Dragon Shield Mattes and KMC Inners, I gently push the air out by hand and then put multiple heavy board games on top of them overnight. The weight is probably comparable to an unabridged dictionary. Sometimes I have to do it to the inners on their own first, but I forget which inner that was happening with.

Might be time but weight shouldn't be an issue. I've been clamping down the marble coasters after gently compressing the stack by hand. Some of the Katana sleeves I used were tight during double sleeving that it's possible I slightly stretched them permanently in the process, but I've also had Katanas where the perfect fit slid in without issue, and I've been testing some other outer sleeves too and they've all had the same issue with puffing up slightly. At this moment I'd chalk it down to the KMC perfect fits but my LGS doesn't have any Dragon Shield inners in stock and I want to try their sealable inners too.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Vancouver (almost 700k? +2 mil when you lump in the rest of Greater Vancouver) and FNM tends to be packed with 30-40 people throughout the night, but that's also because they run staggered starts for commander, standard, modern, and standard draft. Pre-release for Eldraine was pretty drat packed too, easily 40 or so people for each set of rounds and three sets per day. Regular events run on other days are around the 12-20 area.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

fadam posted:

More and more I wish I was living the blessed BC lifestyle :negative:

Nothing blessed here. Better maybe.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I haven't had a chance to play Standard constructed in paper because I got sick from pre-release and I'm still recovering. But the price of poo poo like fabled passage, once upon a time, etc. just really makes me feel like it'll depend on how well off the regulars at your LGS are to determine the local meta. That's always sort of been the case but Eldraine definitely feels like an escalation.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Tubgoat posted:

Being an almost-strictly aggro player, I can't tell you if it is or not. I'm sure Caw Blade et al were expensive in their heydays as well. I recommend Unlucky Fried Kitten for your budget competition needs.
Or red something if you have a leftover deck from last season.

I imagine someone could track trends and Eldraine wouldn't be overly unusual but as a person who only started paper with M20 pre-release Eldraine just looks nuts. I imagine it'll balance out better next year as M21 comes out and we have multiple sets to draw from rather than us scrambling for/settling on the replacements/improvements Eldraine introduced as M19/Ixalan/Dom rotated out.

My complaint about costs is mostly about stuff like fabled passage, which can literally go in any deck, and gilded goose which is very useful with food while also being the most direct replacement for llanowar elves.

I got into paper with an Arcane Tempo deck that I've modded to keep it legal past rotation, but it was never great even before due to local meta. I made a more budget-friendly cavalcade deck that's been serving me better so far but, and I am definitely looking into going ovencat going forward.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Framboise posted:

I've never understood why opinions are treated so objectively. I don't think it's wrong to assess a card before it's released-- just be pleasantly surprised when your assessment is right.

It's okay to initially be incorrect as long as you revise your assessment after more evidence is gathered.

I"m super afraid of being wrong. That is why I'm never wrong and always right.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

whydirt posted:

Are Dragon Shield and KMC still considered the best perfect fit sleeves?

I've tried Dragon Shield's resealable inners and KMC perfect fits. The latter were fine though some of my UG Katana sleeves were really a pain to slip on, but that's just variance between batches. DS' resealable inners are a goddamn dream. It does increase the amount of work sleeving poo poo but that poo poo will never slip off and despite being slightly thicker overall than KMC perfect fits, they slid in with fewer issues even with the occasional problematic UG Katanas. To compare, I'd have to resleeve about a third of my KMCs because I didn't like them slipping off in the process of outer sleeving. I did not have a single problem with the DS resealable inners slipping off, though a few felt like they did because they had a bit more give than I'd like but upon closer examination they remained sealed. The best thing is that I haven't noticed the sleeves "puffing" up after squishing the air out of them. Every time with the KMC perfects, they'd be fine if I kept them tightly packed but if I left them out for a little while even the inners would get some air in them. The DS resealables don't seem to retain or regain much if any air at all.

The resealables will definitely bulk up your deck a bit though. My Anje commander deck is too large to fit in my flip and tray's tray now with its tokens, and is still a tad too difficult to remove without them. Strangely, my Izzet wheel deck fits comfortably but it's borderline too tight a fit. Satin towers to the rescue, I guess. The trays of the flip and tray are slightly deeper than they are wide but they intend for you to store your cards with their sides facing out. I was able to store them that way comfortably with the tokens and commander facing out for easy identification. Now I have them stored the other way around and my Anje deck required a lot more force than I was comfortable using to pull it out. No idea how my Izzet deck manages to still work, guess it's just individual card variance.

Rambling on and on but finding the right sleeves was a decent-ish investment for me so may as well ramble and save another goon some money.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Reusing horizon would just confuse people.

Perhaps Pioneering Frontiers?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Where are my full art ravnica lands

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Rahu posted:

FNM status: there are eight people here for standard constructed instead of the usual 20ish.

Looking forward to that oko ban.

It's free booster packs.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Also, don't be afraid to spring for cards that aren't near mint or lightly played. While a budget standard deck shaves off less compared to, say, a commander deck does with less-than-perfect cards, money is money.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

stump collector posted:

The fourth installment - Unreserved

What's next? Unreleased?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Mystery booster is actually Wizards introducing Historic to Paper and announcing that they actually intend for Arena to not be trashed by standard.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

The Human Crouton posted:

Why do people have to inject their activism into absolutely everything? It's a card game. Let it be a card game.

What would you say are good places to inject activism?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I find certain features of UG's ammonite appealing even if very little beyond the internal organization will be useful. And camera bags can do most of those anyway.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

On the other hand companies are stupid and don't always know how to make money, but they do think they do and think they can squeeze harder.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

It's basically a "if you're disappointed, we're sorry and please look forward to what comes next"

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

It's weird because the, "Hire professional external writers to do entire arcs," strategy was working so well. The M20, Dominaria, Wildered quest, and Guild stories were all solid and well above expectations. Then they shat out two novels, having hosed up the release timing on the first one (Remember when Niv Mizzet was killed and to read about it you had to sign up for the Del Rey newsletter? Yeah I don't either), and ruined the climax and conclusion to their whole 3 year effort.

lolé

Don't forget how the flavor of the cards depict this long drawn-out urban campaign with lots of refugees and people grieving, and it's literally an afternoon in the book.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

How the gently caress are they doing these and not foil full art Ravnica and Ravnican guild lands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I keep hearing about how super popular Ravnica is. Where's my full art lands?