Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Bowsette?
This poll is closed.
Yes 70 39.11%
no 28 15.64%
maybe? 15 8.38%
Yes I'm phoning this one in. 66 36.87%
Total: 179 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
I'm kinda interested in playing the Total War games, but I feel like I can't grasp the basics of what I'm supposed to do, and there are just too many of them out there. I have a bunch on my Steam account via various Humble Bundles, but I don't want to burn through my download cap in one go installing them all at once or whatever. Anybody familiar with the series have a recommendation for a newbie?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Pylons posted:

Shogun 2 has the simplest roster and the best map.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah I'd second Shogun 2 as a good starting point.

Sounds good. I feel like I just need to get a handle of the basics and the rest should fall into place.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Everyone thinking it'll be like Terry Bogard or Kyo Kusanagi or maybe even Athena (Asamiya) but instead it'll be SNK's greatest hero:

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Metal Slugtember

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

I bought a copy of that PS2 Shinobi game. Never got a chance to play it back in the day, but it's alright. Camera work is a bit rough but the music is great. Surprised there isn't a remaster or re-release on PC or whatever. I should look for its sequel.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Cowcaster posted:

people in this thread keep ragging on jason schreier for being some sort of smug dick but he consistently seems to be the only person attempting to perform the "journalism" part of "games journalism", especially considering he works for loving kotaku of all places

He's great at doing real journalism about real issues in the game industry. He's bad at about everything else. I like him when he does the former and hate him when he does the latter.

In short, Jason Schreier is a land of contrasts.

Nicalis loving sucks and I'm glad more people are finding this out.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Jay Rust posted:

I think I’m going to play the DKC 1 & 2 soundtrack when I get home.

I don’t think I’ve ever played 3, does it hold up?

DKC 3 is okay but it's definitely the weakest of the three. And as was mentioned, there are a lot of gimmick stages. I seem to recall not enjoying the strange vertical rocket stages for instance. I can't even remember any music from the game, now that I think about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

In Training posted:

this statement applies to so many platformers it's like a law

I feel like this applies to a lot of western-developed platformers during the '90s (and maybe '80s but I dunno much about European microcomputers).