Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

RC Cola posted:

So the group will be going to the ways to the Eye of the World next right? Will Mat get cured now, or will they leave a link to the dagger to give him/Rand a reason to chase the Horn other than chasing the Horn
Right now we have absolutely zero reason for them to be going any where else. Moiraine has achieved what she set out to do (and never did in the books): Get the Dragon Reborn to Tar Valon, where he can be brought under control.

I'm expecting a Foretelling or something like that (Min?) to happen that makes it clear that they need to immediately leave for the Borderlands. Maybe even against the (official) wishes of the Amyrlin Seat (and all other Aes Sedai) - otherwise why would they leave alone (we saw them in some trailers) instead of bringing other Aes Sedai and soldiers/Warders with them. This would make the argument for deposing Siuan a lot stronger - not only did she secretly try to find the Dragon Reborn, but she then had him and let him leave!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Here is a Youtube playlist with the animated shorts in pretty good quality:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-FYNfmZsp-j_SwKC830_S2nU7MDZDNEm

I have to say, they are really, really good.

No idea how long it will stay up, so take a look :)

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

alcaras posted:

Thanks for posting!

Where are these available in the Prime Video interface?
If you pause an episode, you can access extra X-Ray content. Depending on the device, those animations are among that bonus content. I think the animations only appear on the Amazon website. They are not available on a Smart TV.

Also, supposedly Padan Fain can be heard in Shaddar Loggoth in Episode 2?

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Honestly as this season has gone on the hooks have gotten deep. After the first 3 i was very okay with catching them over the weekend, after the end of 4 and now 5 I feel very hyped waiting for the next one to drop this Friday. Hopefully others are feeling that way and that can help carry it through. I'm really enjoying the small foreshadowing they're dropping that will be great to revisit. I get the impression this is going to be a lot of fun to rewatch as you catch more of the detail hidden in the show, which is a great parallel for the enormous amount of detail given in the text.
It's the same for me. I watched 1-3 on the weekend they came out, watched 4 sometime Friday afternoon, and stayed up to watch 5 the second it dropped. I've watched every episode at least twice (looking for more Padan Fain, looking for some other details that people mentioned that I missed, etc). Episode 5 was interesting - while it wasn't very action packed, I was so in to what was happening that I didn't notice the time passing at all. I was really, really surprised when it ended with the funeral.

My parents (my father read the books, my mother hasn't) are also absolutely loving the series and they really aren't TV series watchers at all.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

cailleask posted:

Just went browsing through the Amazon show page on my TV, and at least on the Samsung app they now have the Origin Stories available! They’re all listed as ‘Episode 0’ like the other bonus content and appear to have been interleaved backwards so you may have to scroll.
I just wanted to emphasize this. The Wheel of Times animations are now available as normal stand-alone extras!

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

ad090 posted:

I'm guessing when Nynaeve and Egwene get back to Tar Valon to meet their fellow novice Elayne, they'll find Mat drinking/gambling/picking up barmaids, it'll allow them to eventually, if they intend to follow that storyline, give Mat the get out of Tar Valon free card, for him and Thom to go to Caemlyn and eventually Tear.
I expect Mat to pick up the dagger again - which will end badly for him. That will give them an in-world reason to swap out the actors next season.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

So, does anyone have a good idea what Min's vision of Rand with the baby is supposed to mean?

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Beefeater1980 posted:

Rand: wandering off on his own. Next stop Caemlyn?
Loial/ Uno: presumably not actually dead?
Moraine: stilled, hopefully temporarily.
Seanchan: summoning tsunamis to defeat, uh, one little girl?
Nynaeve and Egwene: next stop white tower politics, black Ajah stuff?
Perrin, Mat: no idea what they’re doing with them.
Min: in the wind, expect she will show up wherever Rand is.

Moiraine: Tied off shield. Needs Logain or Rand to release her
Seanchan They were maybe expecting a hostile, contested landing. So they cleared the landing zone
Nynaeve, Egwene: Agreed.
Perrin, Mat: Obviously chasing Padan Fain for the dagger and the Horn of Valere

vvv I agree, the end result of the changes isn‘t that big a difference from the books. The path to get there was very good and not solely focussed on Rand doing everything. I liked it.

DTurtle fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Dec 24, 2021

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Ok, quote this post by midnight Christmas EST if you want this gangtag added to your profile:

Few rules:

if you already have three gangtags you'll have to ask me to wipe one of them to replace it with this one
the gangtag will link back to this thread
Some people have grandfathered code in their profiles, no guarantees if you're one of those but I'll try to avoid loving it up
Me do want this.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Pleads posted:

iirc those shields are described in detail as being almost needlessly complex and the show's simplification of the power gives us zero feedback on that aspect so it's impossible to say :wooper:
Luckily there has been onscreen evidence of a very powerful channeler with lots of experience unknotting complicated knots who would be very motivated to help Moiraine.

Now everybody just needs to figure out that there is an invisible (to women) knot that needs to be dealt with.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Nix Panicus posted:

I recall reading somewhere that Jordan's characterization of women is mostly based on his wife, and Nynaeve is the character he directly based on her. Its one of those little facts, like Charles Dickens being paid by the word because he published in newspapers, that makes an author's output suddenly make so much more sense.

Interview with Robert Jordan[ posted:

Are there any characters in the books that are based on historical figures?
There is one real-life individual who has contributed a lot. My wife has given me, involuntarily, at least one major character trait for all of the major female characters in the books. I'm very mean to her, I won't tell her which character traits I have taken.

The Notorious ZSB posted:

- There is too much hidden in the x-ray features, which might be intentional to get folks to dig into that, but...kinda like Google Plus I don't see it happening. So I'd like them to make some of that more explicitly presented as extra materials (the animated shorts were very cool, and its very dumb you can't watch them on their streaming app).
The animated shorts were added as normal extras to the series. So you can watch them with a normal app or on TV.

DTurtle fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Dec 27, 2021

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

That's kinda the thing of it, I want to know if they had these kind of conversations because as I said earlier, making some changes for the different medium and limited time/budget sits fine with me. Making the Eye a ruined location and not the magical traveling grove of trees and a Nym makes sense to me and ultimately doesn't change the overall course of the story. But making a change like they did with shielding/whatever to Moiraine has weird implications for the story down the road, and I want to know what kind of conversations went on in justifying them. Of course if they can deliver on what they're doing all is forgiven.
Brandon Sanderson went into the thinking behind incapacitating Moiraine in his live viewing of episode 8. Basically, Moiraine doesn't really have too much to do in book 2, so they wanted/needed some kind of story arc for her (and Lan). This is apparently what they decided on. Personally, I am convinced that she has a tied off shield that will be untied with the help of Siuan and maybe Rand. But until she gets there, she will have to deal with not being able to channel and Lan will have to deal with the bond being permanently blocked.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Rythian posted:

Stabbing Loial only then to go "haha not really dead tho" in an interview seems so pointless. It's another fake-out death like Nynaeve's from the burnout and Lan's and all the Aes Sedai with Logain, but this one doesn't even get revealed in the show, but in an interview.

It feels counterproductive to me. Fakeout deaths do nothing to help "raise the stakes". If anything it's the opposite. We've already gotten to the point where it's not "oh no the heroes might die!", it's "oh no, the heroes might not get miraculously healed from the brink of almost-death!" which is less exciting. Particularly now that apparently even Egwene-not-even-a-Novice-yet has super healing powers.
Nynaeve wasn't dead and therefore wasn't brought back to life by Egwene. In the Behind the Scenes for that episode they go a bit into the makeup and design of the "burning out" effect. Basically there are various levels of being burned out, depending on how much you draw above what you can normally channel. It goes from just having slightly crispy/glowing cheeks (Liandrin vs Logain, 1/10) to burned to a crisp (the two unfortunate wilders at Fal Dara, 10/10). IIRC, Nynaeve was supposed to be at like a 4/10, with Amalisa at like a 7/10 or so. I do think that difference was not obvious/visible enough.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

El Grillo posted:

https://youtu.be/MYM5uNTy79M
Nerdy Nightly got to the end of EotW, I'm kind of surprised at how much I'm enjoying watching people go through this series for their first time. Their predictions are sometimes wildly off which is amusing but often they are incredibly on point. It's going to be interesting to see their reaction to the big shift in style in TGH, I just started my reread of it and had forgotten that all of a sudden we start to get POV chapters from a bunch of random people, after book one being just Rand and Perrin plus no-POV prologue (I think?) It already feels very different to book 1 to me.
In the previous video about the last third of Eye of the World, Clarus completely nailed the Aiel, Children of the Dragon, Tinkers, and Way of the Leaf connection. That was a really amazing moment. Of course, they sometimes also drastically miss with their speculation.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

silvergoose posted:

It *really* screwed them over, like, complete rewrites and losing all the trolloc actors and Mat and poo poo.
I wonder if we will ever get to see the pre-rewrite version of the script. I thought that episode 7 was still quite good, but 8 was pretty bad - and most of that can be directly blamed on Covid.
Just off the top of my head:
- Lan doing almost nothing (the actor was unable to get to the shoot on time)
- the Blight (they had a jungle location that was supposed to be the Blight, but couldn't travel there)
- the battle against the Trollocs, probably including the wall (they couldn't do any scenes with many people, the stunt actors for the Trollocs were unavailable, etc.)
- Perrin, Loial, etc vs Padan Fain and the Fades (suddenly no Mat, probably also distancing rules)

We also know that they not only had a real time crunch, but I think they were also running out of money. I expect that they already had spent a good amount into what they were planning to do pre-covid, and all of that money was gone. In addition, it became more expensive to do anything during Covid because of various precautions.

I think we quickly forget just how quickly and rapidly everything was chaotically changing during the time they were trying to get those last two episodes finished.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

In this day and age of streaming, I would really, really love for them to simply rework some of the worst bits of Episode 8 with tiny little fixes. Things like making it more obvious that Nynaeve isn't dead, better CGI Trollocs, removing Moiraine's "tell," etc. No huge reshoots, but just small, easily made changes that improve the experience of watching the series.

I do expect that we will get some of the removed scenes from early episodes.

Streaming content does not have to be static after release! Obviously continuity has to be preserved, so they can't change huge things, but why not address some of the bad stuff that happened?

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

On the Dusty Wheel:
Some of season 2 Origin will be about the Forsaken and Age of Legends.

DTurtle fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jul 22, 2022

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

tsob posted:

That aside, I was talking to someone recently who has started reading through the books due to the show along with a book club called the "Wordy Nerdy Bookclub", which upon looking it up is some streamers who are also reading through the books after watching the show. I listened to the first episode as a podcast out of curiousity and while I thought they raised some interesting points about things in the book or book vs show decisions, I found the fact they constantly stopped to acknowledge superchats, their "streaming voices" etc. rather grating. It did make me want to start re-reading the books a lot sooner than I had planned to though, and maybe listen to some kind of book club or whatever discussing it as I did so. I would prefer something that was a podcast first and not a stream first though. As such, does anyone have any good recommendations for that kind of thing?
I'm really enjoying Nerdy Nightly, but I can understand that it isn't something for everyone. It's made more for streaming than to listen to.

It's not a podcast, but I can recommend this blog on Tumbler (Immorality for immortality) by a first time reader. She catches a lot of details for reading it the first time. Unfortunately she stopped near the beginning of book 13 (out of 14). But that is still quite a lot of good content and she might just finish it at some time.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

seaborgium posted:

If it had been shorter it would have worked well. I think it really showed Perrin as a character and how he change to being a Lord with people following him from his just trying to insist he's only a blacksmith. It just took way, way too long. That's kind of a side effect in that Jordan needing time for Rand and Mat's journeys to get to the point he could bring them back together though. If the show shortens it down a bunch, which they easily could, I think it'll come across a lot better.
Basically this.

Perrin's story arc simply was too short. This led to him stagnating for several books fighting the same inner fight again and again instead of really showing development as a character. If he would have been fine with finally accepting his role as Perrin Goldeneyes and Lord of New Manetheren a lot faster, and then had new problems and obstacles to overcome it would have been much better. However, it seems like Robert Jordan didn't really have another conflict in mind for him.

So you end up with a comparatively short story arc that has to be stretched out in order to sync up with much longer, involved story arcs of other main characters.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

I really enjoyed the three episodes.

I did have a good laugh as to how Selene was introduced. Everyone had speculated about how would Rand meet her, how big the warning signs would be, how far they would go, etc. And then the first time we see her, she is in his bed.

As to Nynaeve's Acceptance test: They completely got me with the fake out for the third test. I thought that the test she couldn't remember would be some kind of mystery that would slowly become more clear, hinting and unraveling some major plot point - something like certain people being Darkfriends for example.

DTurtle fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Sep 2, 2023

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

The whole "winnowing out" thing was an in-universe theory by some Aes Sedai.

The Kin and all the other societies and their number (and strength) of channelers thoroughly disproved it.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

His Divine Shadow posted:

I didn't see that in the books. The kin and other societies only showed that channelling wasn't winnowed out in the westlands because so many managed to hide from the aes sedai so that they couldn't accomplish that. And there's hints of channeling also being part of lineages, the whole deal with so many strong channelers coming from the two rivers for instance.

So sure no real winnowing took place in the westlands, but it doesn't disprove the theory and there are reasons in the books to think there's a familial element to channeling. What would the most effective disproving of the idea that channelling can be winnowed out would be the Seanchan. They get basically 100% of channelers, the ones with the spark are turned into damane and seen as animals, the ones who can learn become sul'dam, and male channelers are killed instantly. Now that should result in channelers becoming extinct in seanchan eventually if it's genetic.
So ... a different society in-universe disproved the in-universe theory that a winnowing out of caster genes is to blaim for the dwindling number of Aes Sedai.

As for the Two Rivers: easily explained by three of the strongest Taveren being clustered together (and the Wheel/Pattern preparing their arrival).

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

They have to cut out and combine tons and tons of stuff if they want to get through the whole thing in 64 or so episodes.

The more they focus on getting the right essence across instead of sticking to only including scenes and exact unimportant situations across, the better.

Some of the best parts of season 1 ("sad warder" episode) and season 2 (third Nynaeve trial, Liandrin's son, Moiraine's desperate attempt to not give up, Rand going into an asylum in order to learn from Logain) are nowhere in the book.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Grundulum posted:

The bond isn’t broken, though. Moiraine masked it before she was shielded (this is the story I’m sticking to…) and she can no longer access the Source to unmask it.
We’ve seen stilling (technically gentling, but it’s the same thing) last season with Logain and we’ve seen shielding this season (Liandrin vs Nynaeve). The special effects of Ishamael‘s weaves looked quite similar to Liandrin’s weaves, just an order of magnitude more complex and completely different in every respect to the weaves against Logain.

I would be extremely disappointed if she was actually stilled.

A book question with regards to that: can stilled people see weaves? Because Moiraine apparently still can (at least it looked like that in the fight vs the Myrdraal).

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

El Grillo posted:

The gags are weird. They could have gone for a bit of silver metal at the neck which looked more like unusual jewellery (rather than a loving dog collar thing like it seems to be in the books). I mean there are plenty of silver choker jewellery designs out there which wouldn't have to look weird. Or wrist cuff thing or waist band maybe instead of neck, if you like. Make the chain incredibly fine/light, or just no chain since even the books say it's redundant, though visually it's helpful to convey what's going on. Have a clear bracelet thing on the suldam which has the same designs on it that the thing on the damane has. There we go, very basic visual storytelling.
As it stands, it's both confusing as to what the gag does, and also just weird looking.

There is a clear collar and bracelet. The gags immediately make it clear that person is not in any way in control and not treated as a normal person.

A lot more clearly than a chain to the collar.

WHEEL OF TIME SEASON 2 COSTUME SKETCHES

quote:

The above sketch shows the collars, and their scale, in greater detail. We also see a sul’dam bracelet. The damane in The Wheel of Time series have an additional element not present in the books: a piece of metal fitted over their mouths. Gilham incorporated that horrifying touch. She says, “I added the gold mouth stopper or dummy/pacifier to symbolize their further silencing as individuals.”

vvv Are we watching the same show?

DTurtle fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Sep 6, 2023

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Health Services posted:

And the sanitorium scenes also very gracefully introduced the Aiel.
Also Rand getting in some training by a swordmaster.

As for the whole „collar“ thing, let me just say: LMFAO, all of you are loving easily distracted. At least you will be just as surprised as non-book readers when Egwene gets one of those thrown around her neck…

Hey, did you guys notice that Perrin is seeing things? Or that Mat is going to stab Rand? You did notice that Nynaeve can only channel when angry, right? Also, also Rand has met Logain!

loving unbelievable…

Oh! Forgot one easy to miss thing: Fades can teleport from shadow to shadow!

Also that sniffer guy has the same eye color thing that Perrin has sometimes!

DTurtle fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Sep 6, 2023

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

End of season 1:

A spanish collar:

Spanish collar gorget:

Medical collar:

Another medical collar:

Puritan collar:

And double or triple collars:

DTurtle fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Sep 6, 2023

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Devorum posted:

One of those looks remotely like what the damane wear (a rigid construction extending from below the chin to the upper/mid chest and attaching beneath the shoulders), and no matter how technically correct it might be...if viewers aren't recognizing it, it's bad design.
Or it is brilliant design when they finally figure out they’ve been duped into only looking at the obvious thing and missing the significant thing.

High neck collar:

DTurtle fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Sep 6, 2023

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Sorry, still can’t get over the fact that so many idiots have been so distracted by the pacifiers that they missed the A‘dam for two loving years.

I mean, I saw all the complaining about the gags, but I thought that was about the look. I never thought that so many actually thought that those (alone?) were the A‘dam and completely missed half the costume.

You guys did see the bracelets on the Sul‘dam, right?

DTurtle fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Sep 6, 2023

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Pleads posted:

Well the pacifiers are mega big stupid and the a'dam looks nothing like it does in the books (and as pointed out is no longer even technically a collar).
It goes around the neck, it is close enough to be a collar - especially when you know that it is the most defining thing of the Seanchan.

Did you also miss the bracelets on the Sul‘dam? Or do they also not count, because bracelets are only rings for the arms, while the show version are closer to bracers..

DTurtle fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Sep 6, 2023

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Can we get a thread title change to „Technically not a collar“?

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Hooplah posted:

jesus christ calm down about this. people actually do disagree with you and posting the same thing over and over isn't convincing anyone

personally i didn't recognize the gold gorget/spaulder things as collars, nor did i notice the gold bracer as a corresponding bracelet because their costuming was so drat busy and those things look nothing like the things i'd expect an a'dam to look like

that said,

:amen:
I’m not trying to convince anyone. I am laughing at you.

Donnerberg posted:

In defense of many of us idiots, collars and necklaces meaning the same thing in English is lost in translation. :(
You have my sympathies, but this has been something that constantly came up the last two years, and I really just now understood that so many people really, completely, totally missed the A‘dam. It explains so much. And is so funny. And becomes even funnier when they just can’t admit their mistake, but start with „technically“ arguments.

Edit:
vvv
yes bracers, corrected that. And it’s not rage, it’s laughter.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

DTurtle fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Sep 6, 2023

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

thekeeshman posted:

The "collars" and "bracelets" both look like the armor that half the people in the show wear, there's literally no visual connection between them more than any other piece of costuming. They could have made things far more obvious on screen and stayed true to the books by just having it be a leash but hey keep calling people stupid for not noticing something that's not actually there.
„Not actually there“:

Thank you for this post - keep em coming!

I can really use the laughter right now :D

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

thekeeshman posted:

Every single Seanchan soldier is wearing bracers that look almost identical to the a'dam bracelets. Everyone in the Seanchan is covered in gold/bronze bits. There is literally nothing that indicates that either the collars or the bracers are in any way relevant to what is going on. The fact that the suldam are just standing quietly behind their charges also indicates pretty much nothing. This is just bad visual design.
„Standing quietly“

It’s fine for non-book readers to miss the existence, importance and significance of the A‘dam - after all there has been nothing pointing at those parts of the costumes as being really important. It’s another thing for people in the know to miss them.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

thekeeshman posted:

Yes, they do one move, and then they stand quietly while the damane do everything else, with no indication that they are in any way in control of them or connected at all. As a book reader, I know what is supposed to be there, but I have noticed that it's not there, hence my comments.
So, marching out in a relatively sophisticated costume behind someone in very simple clothes (except for an elaborate collar/gorget/spaulder and a prominent pacifier), shouting some orders, after which the gagged person in front of them does something, does not suggest to you that they just might be connected in some way? They are completely unconnected and just happen to be there?

Right…

I mean, do you also miss the fact that those damane had something to do with the tidal wave? After all, they did some guestures, some flows appeared, then they stood still, and only then did the tidal wave appear. Who could imagine that those things might be connected?

DTurtle fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Sep 6, 2023

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Torrannor posted:

You're honestly being weird about the whole thing. I'm not obsessively rewatching every episode to glean every little detail - I've read each book more a dozen times, I'm over overanalyzing WoT content. I did miss the things as A'dam when first watching, but now that you're pointing it out, it's obvious that you're right. But I'm not the only book reader who missed this, so the visuals are not as obvious as you make them out to be. Why aren't you happy that you caught a detail others have missed, instead of berating us for how dumb we are for not recognizing these things as collars?
I am completely fine - though admittedly extremely surprised - with so many people missing it. And yes, I am happy I caught that.

When people still try to argue about it being there (and noticeable to some degree)? Not to mention arguing about minor details like it „technically not being a collar,“ „Sul’dam just standing there“, „Sul’dam and Damane being unconnected“? Sorry, I will call that out.
And yes, this does also play a part:

pik_d posted:

You know why

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Very disingenuous post, in both content and tone.

There's no reason to explain what is going on at this point, it's intentionally vague and mysterious for people who havent read the books. I know you know this.
Exactly. We as book readers know exactly what is going on and why the actually horrific part of episode 3 is NOT Uno being killed. It is the two girls being picked out by the Damane. The horrors that will be forced upon those girls will utterly dwarf the short, quick death Uno suffered. They will beg and pray in order to end their suffering. And will be unable to do anything about it except to accept their slavery and go along with it.

DTurtle fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Sep 6, 2023

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

thekeeshman posted:

Nonsense, it's not supposed to be vague and mysterious, it's supposed to be obvious that the channelers who are literally leashed are enslaved and controlled. The fact that the show makes it vague and mysterious is exactly what I'm criticizing. The non-book audience should see the damane and immediately be afraid that's going to happen to one of the main characters, instead of having no idea what's going on.
That’s your opinion.

Most of the time, stuff hits harder when there is some build up to the reveal. So far, a non-book reader knows that the Seanchan are very different from everyone else, actively use casters in battle, are very willing to use violence in order to enforce their rule, something is very weird with their casters, and that those casters for some reason pointed out some girls who were then dragged away.

I think that that mirrors the experience of the Shienarans (and others) in the book, who only very slowly figure out and understand what the Seanchan are actually really about.

In the books, don’t we only figure out what the Damane, Sul‘dam and A‘dam really are when/after Egwene is captured?

DTurtle fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Sep 7, 2023

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Yeah you've only posted this same sentiment like 4 times now. We get it that you're surprised but I don't think it's as big a deal as your dozen posts are making it out to be
If people hadn‘t kept on trying to go :actually: then I wouldn‘t have kept on having opportunities to shoot those bad takes down.

Ardlen posted:

I'm a big fan of how TV Rand actually has some agency about learning to channel. Book Rand basically muddled through before Lanfear got fed up with him and handed Asmodean to Rand on a silver platter.
Despite the scene with Logain being in a teaser, it still took me a while to figure out how deliberate and well-thought out his plan was (execution was a bit lacking with regards to almost killing the other care-taker).

I also liked how many other things they managed to bring up, address, communicate and hint at in those few scenes (street seller tossing him bread, sword training, Selene, Madness/taint, empathy for the downtrodden, etc.). I think his scenes (despite not being too flashy) are a master class of efficient storytelling.

vvv Same for you…

I mean, where would the internet be if bad takes would just be left standing for themselves without rebuttal?

DTurtle fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Sep 7, 2023

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

About those scenes:
After this episode, I think it very likely that Moiraine and Siuan weren't Accepted when they heard the Foretelling. It would be another very interesting departure from the books. I always thought that Moiraine and Siuan actually being relatively young for Aes Sedai, but being in such positions of power and influence didn't really work.

Also, this episode makes it very clear that Liandrin is Black Ajah. Just to have it in writing ;)

Another important deviation from the books: information is flowing freely, everyone is talking and keeping in touch with each other. Except for information deliberately being hidden of course (Rand is alive).

Random prediction time: Rand is going to bring Logain with him to Falme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Hexel posted:

"Reports" from eyes and ears and crows were in the books were they not? Didn't forkroot lady in whatever little town that was send off a crow message to somebody?
Reports were in there, yes. But often late, inaccurate, contradictory, etc. A lot of the conflicts and problems in the books were a result of the totally missing information exchange between allies, even after Travelling was reintroduced.

Hell, Perrin's extremely long and boring and slow-moving arc vs the Shaido could have been resolved in 10 Minutes or so with Rand's or Mat's or anyone else's help. Instead it took 4 books.

A lot of those problems felt contrived, but it seems like it was Robert Jordan's preferred mechanism in order to slow down certain plot lines or also to show how very smart people could do very dumb things (Pedron Niall).

I am very happy that they aren't leaning on that approach too strongly, while having it still be there a bit (after all, Perrin is no longer captured).