Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

khy posted:

Can someone TL;DR this for me?

Why is this Vic Mignogia guy suing others (Aside from the hope for an easy payoff)? Like, what's his rationale behinds the cases? Is he trying to deflect attention from poo poo or what? I'm having a slightly tough time from the links provided getting a clear picture here.

The twitter thread in the OP is probably the closest you'll get to succinct yet detailed explanation. I honestly have no idea why he thought filing a lawsuit would help in in any way aside from him getting very bad legal advice from very bad lawyers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
So, assuming everything is dismissed like it sounds like, what's the next step for the defendants and their lawyers to file an anti-SLAPP suit? Would that come up today or would it be a separate filing?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

It would be nice if this tanked Rekieta's rep and sent him scurrying back to his hole.

I think companies are reluctant to hire people who sued their previous employer.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/ottovonbisbark/status/1170021401400696832?s=20

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/TheBrownFolder/status/1170028093395939328?s=20

"Even the dumbest law firm in Texas could win this"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Covok posted:

Huh, good point. Coulda sworn it was illegal in America, though. Maybe they changed the rule at some point.

I think people have been doing it for a long time.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

khy posted:

Did I get those details right?

Yeah, just an FYI, "SLAPP stands for "strategic lawsuit against public participation" basically a lawsuit that's about getting people to shut up rather than having substantive claim. So suing someone for defamation because of true statements about how Vic is a serial sexual harasser would be a SLAPP, and Texas has very strong anti-SLAPP laws to prevent those lawsuits, and that's what puts him on the hook for the defendant's court costs.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/HaygoodLaw/status/1170167489109680129?s=19

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Jesus wept these guys are dumb. I wish I had no moral compass so I could be a grifter too.

https://twitter.com/renfamous/status/1170460923305365505?s=19

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Kortel posted:

Real question, what the gently caress is Stanning?

An extreme for of fandom. Basically this guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOMhN-hfMtY

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/JosieKendamu/status/1170774770205413376?s=20

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/renfamous/status/1170861701031481344?s=19

Someone might want to screencap this, since it involves a death threat so I wouldn't be surprised if it disappears. I'm phone posting otherwise I would.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Yeah, Vic supporters exist more because they just loving hate women than anything Vic himself has done as a VA.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Stairmaster posted:

in conclusion kill all men

As a man, I don't have any good arguments against this.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

On the subject of Japan not knowing or caring about the sub, there was an article on The Funi outtake leaks on Yahoo News here. It mentions they’re homophobic and incestuous but only names Funimation and Sean specifically. It also says the clips were leaked by RekietaLaw but doesn’t go into who he is or why he leaked them, though it does mention at the end of the article that Vic was fired for sexual harassment allegations. There’s only a few comments but they’re stuff like “they should just release it subbed everywhere,” “I guess America also has private intentions vs. public face (tatemae),” and “Cell should absorb them before harm is done to the Dragon Ball’s reputation.”

Don’t think most people know or care, but stuff relating to this case [i]is[/is] out there and Toei is definitely aware of it.

Like, most mainstream action movies are dubbed into German for German audiences, and I can't imagine anyone in Hollywood giving a poo poo about whoever dubs Tony Stark in Avengers: Endgame also making a pedophile joke during that scene where Tony hugs Spider-Man in the outtakes.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Best response by far.

https://twitter.com/CrookedKnight/status/1170893741101604871?s=19

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Anyone wanna read over 100 posts of pure delusion, then I've found the thread for you.

https://twitter.com/renfamous/status/1170935389600849920?s=20

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

There is considerable debate how many cases Rekieta has even litigated. Like, folks are mostly sure he's passed the Bar and that's it.

Can't that be looked up online? The bar thing at least, and also probably if he's ever filed anything in court.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Clarste posted:

I still think they're better trained in general than lawyers, as should be obvious here.

They spend way the gently caress more time in court than your average lawyer, even compared to prosecutors and criminal defense attorneys

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

It was probably a Kiwifarmer.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Mr Interweb posted:

what? why? is this a confederates vs. nazis in WWII sort of thing?

They're mostly made up of incredibly hateful people, how much camaraderie do you expect?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I haven't read Moby Dick either, but I still knew Ahab wasn't someone you're supposed to emulate.

https://twitter.com/renfamous/status/1171962658419085313?s=19

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

If Texas passed trial by combat laws I wouldn’t be surprised

In fact I feel like they already have them on the books

They might. Washington state assault laws don't apply if both people agree to fight first. So bar brawling is legal as long as one person calls the other out and the other says "sure, bring it."

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I just, I just can't.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

This poo poo is almost adorable.

https://twitter.com/Terez27/status/1173178319933792256?s=19

https://twitter.com/Equivo_Kate/status/1173183606707163136?s=19

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Julias posted:

The extreme irony of this is that this could be 100% considered defamation, meeting the requirements of actual malice :ironicat:

Don't you also have to show damages? You can lie about someone as much as you like as long as the lie is so outrageous no one believes it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I absolutely agree that Nick is a loving grifter, but if he'd been acting on good faith wouldn't this whole thing look pretty similar? Someone you like is being defamed on the internet, you have law experience so you recommend the lawyer you know in the relevant jurisdiction (I don't know where funimation is headquartered, but doesn't Vic and the individual plaintiffs all live in Texas?) And you offer to run a fundraiser to help them with legal fees.

They whole thing is a giant scam, but wouldn't most of it look pretty identical if Vic was a saint being unfairly accused of horrendous crimes? Up until the lawyers had to do any lawyering at least?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I'm wondering how you prove conflict of interest or malpractice from this. Vic, Nick and Ty all being taken to the cleaners would be an ideal outcome, but I don't know how we get there from here.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Yeah I can't imagine the defendants agreeing to any type of gag order beyond maybe agreeing not to disclose how large of a payout they're getting.

Quick question, if mediation doesn't work and the judge ends up fining Vic, where does the fine go? I know the defense lawyers get paid, and I think there's also court fees, so the state will recomp whatever they spent paying the judge to listen to this BS, but what about the punitive damages?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/marchimark/status/1174131401156902913?s=20

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Flytrap posted:

Seriously I can't believe it ever has to be said: DON'T gently caress WITH JUDGES

THEY WILL SKULLFUCK YOUR ENTIRE LIFE

It doesn't matter if you're not in their jurisdiction, they'll call on *other* judges to skullfuck you for them! They have that kind of reach and influence, ALL OF THEM

Yeah, but since this involves anime the judge is going to be too busy dealing with the yakuza.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Wark Say posted:

This is honestly a good question: Which voice actor is on that level? Like, maybe Frank Welker, who can do equally insane things like inanimate objects or animals noises with insane accuracy?
He's dead, but Mel Blanc certainly was. Hank Azaria probably

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

That's 1 week from now, well 8 days.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

Have Rekieta or Beard been talking things up at all or are they finally keeping their yaps shut?

I just checked and rekeita has some new YouTube videos but based on the titles he doesn't seem to be focusing on this case at the moment. They're all 2+ hours long and the odd clip I've seen makes me hate his voice so I'm not loving watching any of that poo poo to see if the Vic case comes up. I think his shows start as live streams with callers so maybe those people ask him about it? But there's nothing new until arbitration ends so all he can do is repeat himself.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

El Fideo posted:

I care. That piece of poo poo is at my con this weekend.

Seriously? doesn't he have an important legal mediation happening about now?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Yeah, Funimation fired his rear end, that's part of what the lawsuit is about.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Covok posted:

I think y'all are maybe putting your hopes too high? The defendants probably want this case to be over. They might just be fine with them paying the legal fees and calling it a day. Unless Vic's lawyers are stu...oh yeah. I'm not even joking here, by the way. I legitimately saw people fantasizing how this can all explode and though "no, that's too silly: its going to be more mundane than that; don't get your hopes up." But, as I was typing the sentence, it dawned one me that it could go down that way easily.

If I were the defendants I probably wouldn't want to drag it out either, but there's no way I'd accept anything less than all my legal fees and a public apology.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Sep 29, 2019

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

A successful mediation means no possiblity of appeals, right? That's the main reason I would agree to something less than a massive check if I was a defendant.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Like, no fans in mainland USA are going to fly to Hawaii for an anime convention, and this is probably stereotyping, but I suspect people who live in paradise spend less time watching videos on average.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

AnoHito posted:

Are there any estimates out for what the defense's legal fees are looking like? Wouldn't be surprised if that alone wiped out the GFM...

The article linked earlier said they could be over half a million dollars plus sanctions, the GFM raised about half of that, and has probably been mostly spent on Ty Beard's law firm already.