Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007

Differo Cathedra posted:

How does a human being type that without realizing how dumb that sounds?

"Indie games bad cuz not enuf buttons" is so idiotic of a position that I am horrified that that person probably can legally drive.

They clearly haven't played Elite Dangerous. Not only does it already do most of what SC is promising, but it has page after page of keybindings. You could have literally days of fun binding keys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007

Dwesa posted:

stolen from refunds sub, how do you gently caress up shooting this badly in an engine for FPS games

"Awesome" new trickshot attachment.

https://v.redd.it/70y628798qu71/DASH_720.mp4

I like how this was supposed to be some sort of renaissance of PC gaming versus dumbed down console gaming, yet they have that console weapon select wheel made for thumbsticks.

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007

Why can't you swim in zero g? There's air to push against, that's how birds fly.

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007

Mellow_ posted:

So 7 bytes for 500 people is a 3500 byte payload, or 3.5kb.

That doesn't sound so bad, eh?

To communicate that 3.5kb payload to 500 people, that's 1.75 megabytes per server tick to communicate all that data to all players. This is JUST for movement vectors, in a form that is already fairly well encoded and where we're being extremely generous with the structure CIG might be using.

1.75 megabytes per server tick might not sound like much to a giant server with a big data pipe... but what about the poor sap trying to play on ADSL?

But that 1.75MB is the data send to all 500 players, it's only 3.5kB/tick being sent to each person, or 0.56Mbits/s if you have a 20/s tick rate. If lovely old Internet connections in the late 90s could play Everquest or UO, I don't think that modern 100Mb/s connections that can stream 4k video should have a problem with 500 players.

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007

Kosumo posted:

+ Face over IP and Space Opera over IP for the win AAAA gaming king Roberts.

I'm assuming all that stuff will be quietly dumped.

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007

punishedkissinger posted:

these people are all 100% correct that she was a monstrous colonizer with nazi ties though.

Britain didn't colonise anywhere under her reign. If anything, she lost the empire. And supported Britain's war efforts against the nazis.

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007

quote:

Dont forget to add that while CIG has received 500 million to build this game from scratch. It's still soo much better than what we've seen other people do with 10billion.

Only three times the budget of any game ever developed. Only the combined budgets of GTA V, The Witcher 3 and World of Warcraft put together. For an Elite clone with one planetary system, a few small (ugly) indoor areas, and you can walk around a bit.

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007

Mendrian posted:

Now here's where I think the various MMO dreamers have it wrong; while all that stuff makes for good Funny Stories, I don't think they ever made for good games. An IRC chatroom can be funny, but that doesn't make it a game. MMOs proposed a world where people were fully immersed and roleplaying and engaging in this kind of stuff all the time, but the game part of those games tended to be less enjoyable than modern games by a pretty wide margin. People remember these games fondly because they have lots of good Stories but I think they rarely think about the fact that those stories exist in the absence of gameplay.

What a lot of MMO nostalgists miss is that in those days, most people had little to no experience on the Internet, so just talking to people in a video game was a huge novelty. Since then, we've had 20 years of social media growth, and pretty much every game has some sort of online functionality. So a lovely game with a lot of downtime isn't interesting just because you can talk to randoms on the Internet. Try to recreate Everquest where people are stood around chatting all day and they'll just go to whatsapp.

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007

colonelwest posted:

Yeah loading screens are basically trivial these days with PCIE SSDs everywhere, even in consoles.

But it goes back to the all encompassing space life simulator dream at the heart of Star Citizen. The game world has to be completely skeuomorphic, even if it makes the experience aggressively boring or perform like crap on even the highest end rigs. So anything from 8k textures on a coffee maker to physicalized elevators are all important steps towards the Matrix that SC is sure to become someday.

It's about immersion rather than convenience. One of the best aspects of WoW compared to MMOs that came before (and after) is that you could walk or fly from one end of a continent to the other with no loading screen. Makes little difference to gameplay but is huge for worldbuilding. Physicalised elevators in SC would be really impressive, if you could look out the window and see the world outside, and if SC's planets and cities didn't look like poo poo. The tram would be cool if you were passing actual city rather than dead space, and if the city didn't look like poo poo.

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007
Wanted to try this thing for the 'free fly' but I think by the time it's installed it'll have run out. Why is it taking so long?

shrach posted:

Never forget the official documentation released by CIG

But when does the Zybourne clock go back in time to the kickstarter?

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007

Thoatse posted:

You made a restore point before downloading this game, right? right?

Er, no, have I just destroyed my computer?

Lammasu posted:

This is probably a little late but why do they call it a wank pod?

Because you wank in it. Why else?

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007
Well I just played for a while, and it doesn't seem to have changed much since I last played it a few years ago. I'm on a newer, much better PC and the performance is just as bad, even with all the graphics turned down to minimum. I haven't noticed any difference to the gameplay (running around randomly designed indoor areas, going up and down elevators, and the clunky flying). The UI is terrible. Often you can't read text or elements because it's white on white or blue on blue. The interact 'F' mode is awkward. Steering the ship is awkward. Trying to line up your ship in third person camera is awkward. Going through doors is awkward.

Even with the graphics turned up to max it doesn't look that special in this day and age. So you get terrible performance for no reason. In a busy area I'll be at single figure FPS while my graphics card has 0rpm. No idea why. Every indoor area either looks like generic 80s scifi dank, or shopping mall. The character does everything slowly, he gets off a chair like Mr Creosote, you have to press drink over and over again to empty a bottle of water to get your hydration up. Can't believe I downloaded so much for this.

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007

He basically wants a game that's effectively real life but in space. That would take billions to develop and probably wouldn't be very fun. The whole Spectrum thing won't work because of youtube, discord, reddit etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007
With all the money they've spent, you'd think they'd be a bit more ambitious. It has a very generic human sci-fi vibe. Where are the weird aliens, orbital structures, domes, weird planets etc?