Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

For people not in the loop, leaving without a deal will mean people will die. That's the immediate part he's keen to get past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Scruffpuff posted:

Sounds great until you factor in that there will need to be a check after every player action checking whether or not the code guessed correctly, and if it didn't, it will have to recalculate to compensate for the move the player actually made, which is even loving slower than just doing what the player is doing.

Having a conversation with someone who tries to finish every one of your sentences is not faster than having a conversation with someone who shuts the gently caress up and listens when it's your turn to talk.

It sounds like expanding on what processors already do, it's called branch prediction. Basically say you've got a list of numbers between 1 and 100 and you're running a loop which has a condition in it that say if it's <50 do A or >= 50 do B. If your list of numbers are sorted 1 to 100 it will run faster than if your loop is unsorted due to the processor predicting what the outcome of the condition will be based on previous results.

Here's one you can run in a browser

https://jsperf.com/sorted-loop/2

It's trivial to write one in Java or C which will show the same thing.

Doing this level of prediction is obviously much more complex in something like a game vs a basic loop but the idea is the same. So not as far fetched as it sounds.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Scruffpuff posted:

It works for sorting, or financial predictions, or probability calculations, or random simulations - this is true. But they're claiming this can be used to predict player actions in a video game. Think of the infinite number of actions you can perform in even a relatively simple game. How much computational power will it take a machine to predict every possible player outcome, or even every likely outcome, or poo poo even a single random outcome, in a game like Red Dead Redemption 2? Thank god their tech predicted I would pull out my pistol on a whim, try to shoot a water bucket and miss, hop on a nearby horse and knock myself out on a lowhanging branch because I fumbled the controller swatting at a fly. You can really feel that half-frame the predictive algorithm saved us from having to render.

A player predictive algorithm is, by definition, true AI. Indistinguishable from a player because it's attempting to be a player.

You're getting caught up in the word prediction, usually prediction just means it assumes what you were just doing you're going to continue doing. It's not going to guess you're about to turn right, but if you're walking straight down a corridor and have been for the last 20ms then probably going to be doing so for the next 20ms. In the end it's just latency mitigation and I can't see it working over more than maybe 10's of milliseconds for latency mitigation. I think it could work but seems tremendously difficult for such a minor gain.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

Basically this, yes. A machine that will be able to predict a player in a complex game will be a player by itself. Heck, I believe that to be able to predict moves in chess you have to be on level of neural engines like AlphaZero or Leela (and they'd have to be slightly modified to work with predictions) - classical engines like Stockfish won't be able to do that.

Except it's not trying to predict decision points, it's trying to predict non-decision.

Imagine right now you're playing a game, running down a corridor and you hit a lag spike, generally what happens is you freeze then jump forwards then continue. All this has to do is when you hit the lag spike predict that yeah you are going to continue down the corridor. If it gets it right then you don't notice the difference, if it gets it wrong you stutter and jump to the right place just like before. So then you have to think about that the probabilities of getting it right, probably pretty good for times <500 ms.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Nicholas posted:

A game that starts feeling laggy as poo poo as soon as you do anything besides walk straight down a hallway.

I think the idea is that it will be no more laggy than normal and might be better.

The infinite variations thing is just not that realistic though is it, I mean you might flail around completely unpredictably every couple of milliseconds but are you really going to do that? nope.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Bofast posted:

While it will no doubt be a bit of an economic shock and a rough time for quite a while, I'm not sure how exactly a no deal Brexit would directly cause people to die. From what, stress related heart attacks? That seems a bit alarmist.

We're going to run out of drugs, specifically things like insulin. We're already running short because of trade uncertainty and in the event of a no deal there would be no structure in place to allow imports.

With food bank usage already at a high we're heading into a recession, we're already in one officially, which would only be exasperated by a no deal. There are plenty of people who are eating every other day because that's all they can afford. Making that worse will cause serious damage to the health of the poorest in society.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Dementropy posted:

• Close range FOIP animations do not transmit.

This seems to be saying that FOIP does not work at all. You can only make goofy faces to yourself.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

no_recall posted:

ITS TIME FOR THE ANNUAL ShitizenConned 2019 Raffle!

Top 3 Prizes: a month of Humble Monthly!

SO. Lets get to it.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tMAP0fg-AKScI3S3VjrDW3OaLO4zgBA1RSYoQOQoNSI/edit#gid=1694467207

Current Funding.
2019-11-19 $241,227,605

GUESS THE NUMBER ON THE FUNDING TRACKER BY 1st DEC.

GO.

p/s: Please quote this so I don't have an excuse accidentally exclude your participation.

e: Participation closes the minutes before the Con. Nov 23 1PM GMT. (or when the Stream Begins).

I'm going to go for the mathematically calculated value of

$242,199,498

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

tuo posted:

"We call these :airquote: ground effects :airquote:"

Yeah...but ground effect (in cars, in helicopters etc.) is something completely different...I assume Crobbear came up with that term...

I love the comments about how 'Not even Skyrim was this good' Skyrim was released 8 years ago, cost $80 mill to make and was an actually released game.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Quavers posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=va1XZbkCOBA

The second of the week's Fake Jeremy Clarkson videos, and the series has already outstayed its welcome :ughh:

Why don't the spaceships have seatbelts?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Is the free fly even still on? I've got a few days off work to waste. I assume the game will be so good I should lock my credit card in the safe before I boot it up. The last time I tried Star Citizen it glitched me into the cold uncaring vacuum of space but I assume that won't happen this time.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Noir89 posted:

Fuuuuuuck you now I want to play Eve again and i haven't had the urge for years! :mad:

Same, I've got a Dreadnought sitting in drydock somewhere, and a fleet of command ships.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Which game was it had you doing bombing runs on capital ships, had lasers and huge beam weapons etc. I want to say it was Freespace 2? That was cool as poo poo.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

no_recall posted:

Current Funding
2019-11-26 $244,392,976

:rip:

I just thought the stone was finally tapped out, clearly there was plenty more blood left in it.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

echothreealpha posted:

Probably betting on SSOCS would be enough to make it a reality.

What I like about SSOCS is that it started out as OCS but then they didn't really seem to know what that meant or how to do it so it became SSOCS so I assume in a bit they'll decide they're no idea what that is and add some more words to the salad, Cloud Based Server Side Object Container Streaming!

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

So I updated my Star Citizen and gave it a ahot, it's much much worse than you can imagine.

I forst went into Star Marine to see what that was about, it's a disaster, laggy as gently caress despite having a ping in the low 20's. It feels like you're running through treacle, grenades don't work, you frequently come across guns floating in mid air. The person who won our round had a ping of over 300 which seemed to render him invulnerable.

Went into Star Citizen proper and woke up in Arc Corp, you might think i've getting out the the lift warily, that's because that's my 4th attempt to get out of the lift on the right floor, every other time was wrong. There's no way to know which floor your're on.

https://i.imgur.com/bg6drGq.mp4

Has sound and this reflects my whole time in the game, sound cuts in and out, playing seemingly random audio clips all the time. Lots of things just popping into existence.

After about 10 mins I worked out how to get the tram to the hangers and got in my ship, but then couldn't work out how to open the hanger doors

https://i.imgur.com/jSoq6JR.mp4

time to stop.

Aramoro fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Nov 28, 2019

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Hav posted:

Otoh, if they pivot quickly, they could make the most amazing goat simulator in space station 13; but it wouldn’t be worth half a billion clams.

An FPS Space Station 13 game would be worth way more than that.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Prisons requiring no custom code sounds about right, I mean doors everywhere in the PU are likely not to open or to kill you for walking through them already.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

OK maybe $1400?

I have a 1080 TI now which should be decent enough and the headsets are what $600?

Hmm you've actually made a good point. I'm going to pledge now.

EDIT: My real point is I'm down to spend cash on something for one game as long as I can actually use it for a number of other games. I did buy the Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS (which owns bones) for Elite and it was worth the price of admission for me.

I got a Rift S the other day for my wife to play BeatSaber on so I repurchased Elite Dangerous on the PC to try it on that as well. Gonna try new X-wing game as well I think

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Truga posted:

i'm on a 980ti and most vr games work fine, 1080ti is fine

I have a GTX 1060 and everything seems fine on that. I'm not sure how the numbers work on graphics cards anymore though.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Gridfire confirmed.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

There's been 3000 new posts over the weekend, must mean SC has released? When is free fly, also if you've free flown before can you do it again?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I started downloading this 'game' and my internet broke, I'm sure this is not a sign of things to come.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

Downloading is currently a Tier 0 implementation

I mean I pressed install and it downloaded a 30 gb file, then went back to the launcher again with the only option being 'install'. Pressed it again and it downloaded a 800mb set of files then back to 'install'. Pressed it again and now onto a 55gb set of files. What the ever loving gently caress is happening?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

chadbear posted:

I started with a 12gb download and clicked install. Now I'm at a 55gb update download.

Where are my missing 18.8gb Chris

My copy clearly has 18gb of additional fidelity, yours has been deskeletonised.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

BitBasher posted:

Isn't this incredibly low, even as fiction? I mean a real carrier has a crew of like 6,000 all in and the Bengal is about the same size?

Each shift would be like 200 ish total people actually working?

This leads to questions like: If so much is automated and doesn't need people then why the gently caress isn't it much, much smaller?

Kinda depends on who you count as crew. A Nimitz class is around 6000 like you say including aircrew. The Gerald Ford class which followed it is listed at 2600. The RN Prince of Wales class operates with a crew of 679 going up to 1600 with aircrews etc. I could accept a crew of 500 or so in the far future, excluding aircrews.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

BitBasher posted:

From what I can see the two carriers aren't remotely comparable? The prince of Wales is an STOVL carrier, it has no catapults and can operate only Short/Vertical take off craft and can only recover planes the same way, as it has no cable arrest landing system. It also can carry only half the fixed wing aircraft. In short, it's kind of a dramatically inferior carrier compared to the Gerald R Ford.

And neither is comparable to a space going capital ship? They're all enormous ships which can run on relatively small crews thanks to automated processes. You'd have to assume a spaceship would be even more automated. The Nimitz figure includes aircrew which inflates the number a lot over the actual ship's crew.

Except for the Crobbers obsession with WW2 and each turret is manually crewed for some insane reason.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Thinking about ship crews made me remember that in Eve Online all the ships have crews. You the pilot are an immortal effectively but your crew are just dudes who all die when your ship blows up.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

marumaru posted:

meant to say 2077's NPCs
they're not very interactive at all. CDPR promised tons of stuff for their NPCs (just like a certain other developer):

The big difference is that when you buy 2077 you know all this. You get the game and it is what it is. With Star Citizen there’s no game, just dreams, dreams you’ve paid $400 to have.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Fidelitious posted:

And then that raises very confusing questions about the 2 wine glasses in the captains quarters. WHO IS IT FOR?

Well do you can invite your lady friend on board of course... And then you know... The implication.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

This is the plot of a few side quests in Cyberpunk. What an original idea.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I was looking at the spec chart someone made on the reddit and it looks like my 1060 GTX that runs everything I have at max including ED in VR is going to get ~10 fps in a city in Star Citizen? What the christ have they done? A 3060 RTX which costs about 2 grand will get you upto 30 fps?

It doesn't even look that good.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I think the hiding from bounty hunters thing does give you a glimpse into the mind of Citizens. Hiding is not a goal by itself, you log into the game to do something not just hide at a river from someone who may or may not be looking for you. They're essentially going to be playing hide and seek solo, where they just hide and no one bothers looking for them.

If you're a criminal you should be logging in to do crime and bounty hunters try to stop you doing the crime.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

History Comes Inside! posted:

Nobody ever means the outer worlds unless they’re just making sure nobody means the outer worlds when they really meant the outer wilds

Outer worlds absolutely sucks

What a weird and wrong opinion. Outer Worlds was great.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

BattleMaster posted:

It's a cool ship but there's nothing realistic about it so I can't imagine why NASA who makes actual spacecraft would think it could be any use to them. For instance there's essentially no room for fuel and no way to dissipate heat and whatever makes the power for it has to be incredibly compact and not put out any radiation.
]

Theres a strong tradition of scifi writers writing things and then engineers being inspired to make it a reality.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Randalor posted:

So... I take it the Star Citizens didn't react well to Starfield?

I went to check the starcitizen reddit and its been set to private so I'd say it's going great.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

So did that guy ever shift all his hotel rooms for the con?

Edit: this is also a super minor thing but something that annoys me. In game the voice over is always going on about heading like theyre aircraft but they're not, they're in space what does setting your heading to 260 even mean in space.

Aramoro fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Oct 24, 2023

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Just Another Lurker posted:

Is it done yet?

I paid my £35 back in 2012 dammit!!! :homebrew:

That's £48.10 in today's money.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

For me the best prediction of Nostropisscat is that there will be over 5 million active players for Star Citizen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

What do you have to do to make these links work? Folk are using them all over the forum but they're all broken for me, 403s