Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

greetings sweeties, let me give you a back massage. for i am a whiz!

Is there a reason Japanese third counts tend to be delayed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

I will say, regardless of it being an inside joke between them, it's not the kind of thing I enjoy seeing in general, let alone on my favorite podcast. Gunn Club is honestly my least favorite part about dark, though that's not why.

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

CopywrightMMXI posted:

When I was a kid I always liked wrestlers who had a post-match ritual, whether it was Jake Roberts covering someone with his snake, Ted Dibiase stuffing money in his opponents mouth or Brutus Beefcake cutting someone’s hair. Does anyone in wrestling currently do something like this?

Max Caster kisses his opponent's hand after he pins them.

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

Suplex Liberace posted:

better question is where hangman gets his cool cowboy shirts

Right here!

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

Lamuella posted:

Look at Yunamon, Tropical Jones over here

I didn't know I needed Dark commentary on ChocoPro, but now I'm gonna miss it :(

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

Hirez posted:

What's up with all the Marvel Themed matches whenever I watch AAA?

I thought it was like a one-time thing the first triplemania I watched, but then it seems to keep popping up everytime I check out AAA

also Mr Iguana loving rules

I'm not the best person to answer this question, but AFAIK, Marvel has licensed their characters in Mexico AS luchadores. All of the characters wrestling are advertised on tv and have action figures and stuff you can buy.

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

Kosmo Gallion posted:

There was talk of Danielson forming a Dragon-gun shooter stable for a while before BCC formed as well right? Garcia and Yuta were names often thrown around as possible apprentices.

Iirc this was part of the same promo referenced above. About a month before the actual Moxley/Danielson match. The other name thrown around was Lee Moriarty, who I hope gets some shine soon

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

Bonk posted:

Huh. I always thought the Spicolli Driver was specifically the rolling/cartwheel variation of the DVD.

That was my interpretation as well

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

Didn't they even start a show buying museum-level goods BACK from people?

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

They have thought about doing it at various times but have realized they would lose a stupid amount of money on it/haven't been able to get Universal to just give them a space at their Orlando Park so it never happens.

Honestly the fact that Universal sells a bunch of WWE merch and has billboards in the Citywalk, but AEW has a physical presence there and can't sell anything is very funny to me

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

Captain Foo posted:

What’s the difference between a backdrop, backdrop driver, and saito suplex?

A saito suplex has you grab the opponent around the waist with you standing basically against their hip, so the two bodies are roughly perpendicular

I think the backdrop driver is a high angle backdrop. Both of these are belly to (mostly) back. Also, you usually put a hand under the opponents thigh for extra leverage.

E: a saito is almost a sideways German

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

Lamuella posted:

That's JPW was the most adorable show (studio based english language joshi wrestling in bite size chunks using the TJPW roster with Chris Brookes and Baliyan Akki). It was lovely and enjoyable and they should still be doing it to this day.

Hard agree with this, an excellent entry into TJPW that ended far too soon. I'll append the cancellation of Mr. Haku's official WU translation Twitter to this post.

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I just saw Katsuhiko Nakajima for the first time, in that Yokohama match earlier this year against Shingo Takagi. Holy poo poo, this guy rules. Does he have anything I gotta see that's available on free internet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXvzh9y3oz8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1kiQsEl-1Y

https://vk.com/video-190393047_456239133

This one is unreal

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

You would have to be Hercules to throw anybody off of Cobo Hall and end up in the Detroit river, there's about 20ft of ground to clear

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

Penguin Patrol posted:

everyone mentioned previously is bad, but Pat McAfee and Hiroshi Arai are straight up unlistenable

Hiroshi at least tells us names of obscure moves once in a while but all the other times he has trouble letting anything go and is sooooooo slow and he cuts people off!

Please just rehire Mr. Haku, I'm begging you DDT

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

Answers Me posted:

I don’t think they’re anywhere near the worst of all time, but I’m really not enjoying Coleman and McGuinness on the ROH show. Riccaboni is good though.

Am I right in thinking people really hated Taz as a commentator once upon a time? He’s so so good these days, but I’m sure that wasn’t the case in his Smackdown/TNA days (which is hardly surprising)

I liked Caprice and Ian, not sure about the vibe with Nigel.

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

apophenium posted:

AEW announcer Excalibur did a version of the move called Tiger Driver 98, which worked the same way, but Excalibur would sit out with his legs closer together so as not to just drive his opponent's head onto the mat unprotected.

Are you sure about that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ND2Q9C0weyo

Pretty sure there are some deaths here

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

It's the same with Jeff Hardy now, and he's admitted that it's because he's old and it hurts a lot to do it otherwise

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

What're the lyrics to Will Ospreay's United Empire theme? I can make out 'Burn it down 'til the ashes fill the sky' and then the next line has so much post-processing that I can't make a drat word out.

"Light it up 'til the flames take back the night"

The Taxman fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Aug 1, 2023

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

Benne posted:

Hogan was also a great seller, which I feel gets overlooked in the "wasn't good in-ring" discussions. A big part of what made his comebacks blow the roof off is that he would spend half of the match selling like the bad guy was killing him for real.

You see so few guys look like they're crying in pain during a match, for all the terrible faults of HH he sure as poo poo looked like he was dying at times (maybe was tho)

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

Those shows USED to be up on WU but when they migrated sites we lost a ton of good matches

Like the beer garden FCA with Ibushi/Kenny
And the Rojos can be hard to find (anybody have a link for apartment wrestling?)

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

The Andrade thing actually made me realise some people really don't internalise pronunciation rules, they just rote memorise specific names/words. Cuz like, Andrade el Idolo isn't difficult if you actually read the words and know a tiny amount about how Spanish is pronounced. Same with Konosuke Takeshita and Japanese.

You're acting like most Americans care about anything besides word/presumed meaning for anything beyond English (and hell, even for it (feature, not bug, I guess?)).

Most are just weird looking words that we jam English constructions (lol pick one of many sounds every time) into.

KK got no excuse though unless he just did a variation of that weird thing where I'll randomly add a dipthong after an a or o and I have no idea why (broken brain I guess)

The Taxman fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Sep 13, 2023

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

Defenestrategy posted:

I feel that if your job is wrestling commentator for a company you should be watching the product and just know the pronunciation.

Unless your job is commentating for the WWF in the mid to late 90's, in which case just go with gut feeling when The Great Sasuke comes out.

I 100% agree and KK is not good, just referencing a similar pronunciation glitch that one particular one could have been

E: the only announcer I trust outside of Japan on pronunciation is Excalibur and maybe Veda Scott (though I haven't seen enough of their work to state that solidly)

The Taxman fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Sep 13, 2023

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

Sandman McMahon posted:

I thought that was the way it was pronounced too, so I just googled it and TWO YouTube videos told me it’s uh-koo-muh. Someone here is lying to me.

I think the stress is more on the first syllable

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Was Sonjay Dutt with WWE in a backstage role at some point relatively recently or am I going crazy? Going by this thread he's apparently with AEW now?

Yes, he was a fed producer from 19-21, and joined AEW in a similar capacity the day after news of his departure broke

He's been an on-screen talent since April last year, hanging out with triple j (Jeff Jarrett and Jay Lethal) and the incredibly huge ex-basketball player Satnam Singh

He's a great slimeball, he wears a pencil behind one ear (or used to)

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

edogawa rando posted:

How does that work? Do they put up videos of matches in small chunks on TikTok?

Nope, it was one long video, and it was in landscape

There's livestreaming on tiktok (though I've always seen it in portrait)

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

On The Internet posted:

Thanks for the explanations, all! Is it normal for Joshis to stay in the same company for their entire careers? Like if they moved around from place to place would they graduate each time?

It's variable, like with every wrestler. Some people do their whole careers with one place, some move around.

AFAIK, as long as you're committed to a company for a decent length of time, you will get a nice sendoff (and maybe get beat up by the entire roster (or participate in an anal explosion match with your husband (DDT)) who knows?)

The Taxman fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Dec 7, 2023

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

To note, neither of those are the particular anal explosion match referenced!

https://twitter.com/ddtproENG/status/1608374404337266688?t=6_DCmZ_lAjDF2dN8GV8Phg&s=19

yes, that is her husband blowing up her rear end

(Ed note: seems I've misremembered this whole thing, this was an anal explosion opening ceremony, leading up to the graduation a few months later. Match is available for free with English comms, but it is a Pheromones match so ymmv, I recall liking this one, surreal in the way only DDT can manage.

https://www.wrestle-universe.com/videos/stE5SfEV1V6wZJ2oXonpR (2:17:10 is the start of the pre-match video))

The Taxman fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Dec 7, 2023

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

The Grey posted:

This sent me down a youtube rabbit hole... I had no idea there were so many weird and crazy Russian MMA fights.

My particular favorite was fully armored medieval fighting with swords and axes

loving insane

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Is there a clear origin or kayfabe reasoning or anything for the corner-mounted 10 punches?

I have no idea, but it seems like an easy way to get a rest spot in because the crowd being into it means the ref can get away with not applying a 5 count

Also crowds just love counting!

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I saw a bit in Party World Rasslin where Hundo Supreme, The Man With One Hundred Dollars, did the corner mounted punches in a battle royal and... just keeps going. And it's clear he's going all the way to 100.

... and then someone tower of dooms him at 99.

Haven't seen it but the heat must have been nuclear

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

GokuGoesSSj69 posted:

Sam Sheppard, who the character Richard Kimble of The Fugitive series and movie is based on, wrestled after he was acquitted and is credited with first using the mandible claw. I guess the question is if he worked as a heel or a face.

If I'm remembering Mick's book correctly, he was a physician and his wrestling name was Killer Sheppard, so probably a heel I would imagine.

(Though his last match on Cage match is vs Assasins #1&2, so who knows)

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

SG Bamboo posted:

Not sure in the last year, but both New Japan (Shingo vs Taichi in a first to 30 count for the KOPW) and DDT (MAO vs Shunma in a Kids Room Deathmatch first to 27 count) have done it since the pandemic

I still chuckle about MAO busting out cinder blocks in that match and getting away with it by claiming they were building blocks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

The337th posted:

as far as pins go, I find it extremely tedious when announcers linger on pinning technique being the blame for someone kicking out at two

JR being the worst offender in recent years

much more so when it's framed as the wrestler just being forgetful or lazy with their pins, rather than at least selling it like someone's too exhausted or rushed for a proper pin

Strange, I find it part of the story of the match! At lot of times (especially heels) they ARE being lazy or prideful, and faces ARE gung-ho and forgetful

just ignore me in my own home mentioning that it's a bad pin and spoiling the bite