Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

The Nexus was a huge turd waiting to happen because WWE developmental at that time sucked and all of the talent basically sucked. Really sucked. Half of the faction was just useless.

Wade Barrett: Good promo, below average wrestler. Could be protected and be something.
David Otunga: Horrible wrestler, OK talker but you don't need two promo only guys in a faction.
Michael Tarver: Horrible wrestler, who knows what kind of a promo.
Heath Slater: Good wrestler, good personality, but not really a star.
Justin Gabriel: Above average wrestler, not really a great promo or personality.
The Ryback: Would need to be hidden in the ring, just like Wade.
Darren Young: Really bad wrestler, I guess an ok personality?
Bryan: Gone after week 1.

This was not a recipe for success especially after the locker room chased them off. I get why people were excited at the time but it has been 10 years you can admit WWE's horrible talent evaluation and training was not going to lead to anything good.

I agree pretty much 100%, but I do think if you take away Young, Tarver and Otunga (and improve the booking, which, obv, is always the issue here), they could have had a pretty good faction for quite a while. Even without Bryan, Slater and Sheffield would have been a decent "annoying little guy and big, muscular bad worker" tag team, Gabriel could have been a solid IC/US-level guy by using Being In The Nexus as a way of getting heat in order to cover for his not-yet-there persona, and then, like you said, have Barrett at the top as a protected guy and the talker for the other three.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I saw a week or two ago that HHH is no longer in charge of talent? What happened there?

Yes and no. He got a promotion to a position that puts him more or less in charge of large-scale, big-vision talent decisions, but takes him off the face-to-face beat he was on.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

BrigadierSensible posted:

I don't remember Mr Perfect ever being face.

Did he do anything of note as a goodie?

https://www.wwe.com/videos/mr-perfect-responds-to-randy-savage-s-offer-prime-time-wrestling-nov-16-1992

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

fatherofmustard posted:

What are some good moments in bad matches?

HHH/UT, WM 28: special ref HBK superkicks 'Taker into a Pedigree, place goes nuts, but it's only a two-count. UT sits up, quick comeback, Tombstone, gets two. Shawn's brain shuts the gently caress down and he curls up in the corner and tries to reboot.

Opinions vary, but IMO the match is masturbatory trash besides (or maybe even including) that moment.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Randaconda posted:

At the time, 'Taker wasn't much better, and it made much more sense for Kane to win.

IIRC, that was the original plan. Kane asked to lose.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Red posted:

he was the Billy Gunn of his day - an above average worker

I'm not a Valentine fan, but he was worth two or three of Billy Gunn as a worker.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Benne posted:

You sure picked one hell of a week to break out these takes

Eh... this has come up before, so it's not like Randaconda's making it up out of whole cloth to be edgy (if anything, bringing it up unprompted when people weren't talking about Owen would be weirder). This forum went through a phase a few years ago of "hey, remember all these Owen stories?"/"hey, wait, these aren't as funny as I remember"/"hey, uh, maybe Owen was actually a dick to a lot of people, because many of these aren't funny to the victim, they're only funny if you're a bystander and also a dick."

Nonetheless, there are two postscripts relevant to the discussion:
a) Owen being a dick to a lot of people doesn't mean he couldn't still have been the nicest of (that generation of) the Harts, because, wow, the rest of that family is a race to the bottom.
b) Owen being a dick to a lot of people doesn't change the fact that he was killed by a terrible company run by terrible people who ordered him to do an unsafe stunt against his wishes for no purpose other than, if it had gone according to plan, making those terrible people laugh for thirty seconds.

edit: jesus this has to be my worst page snipe ever

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Red posted:

3. Had Bam Bam Bigelow ever made any comments (before he passed away, obviously) about his WWF career post-WrestleMania XI?

About what you'd expect:
A) The Kliq were deep in Vince's ear and didn't care for Bam Bam;
B) if Bam Bam cared enough, he probably could have either won the Kliq over (I think he got along with Nash and maybe HBK individually?) or at least been one of the people that had enough leeway for Vince to keep them off his rear end;
C) he didn't care enough, because he could see the writing on the wall, and not only would it be very hard to get Diesel-like pops for himself even without the Kliq working against him, it wouldn't matter anyway because the rocket strapped to Michaels' rear end was going to leave Nash way behind, let alone Bam Bam.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Speaking of Big Sexy, is he the worst WWE/F world champion before... let's say 2010? Nash's strength is his charisma, but the happy smiling catchphrase-spewing babyface character clearly didn't fit him at all.

Sheamus's first run was worse than Nash's. I think JBL's run was worse. If we're including the WHC, Khali is worst of all.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Red posted:

I guess my question was more about whether Bigelow talked about it, and if he was bitter or anything. He seemed happy enough in ECW and later WCW.

He did talk about it, that's where the info comes from. He was a little bitter, but more in an "it could have worked out if not for..." way. He seemed to get more annoyed at other people getting sidelined by the Kliq than at how they interfered with him.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Red posted:

4. So at In Your House 4 (October '95), after the Diesel/Bulldog match ended in a DQ, Vince chewed Diesel out right there, after the show went off the air. Can anyone provide the background as to why? Bulldog main evented the next IYH, so he clearly didn't take any blame. Was it just Vince being pissed about the lovely run and a lovely match? I was watching intermittently at best during this time, and just ignored most of the Mabel/Sid/Yokozuna stuff with Diesel.

It was a boring match, it had an awful finish, the fans were loud about how bad the match and the finish were. It's really that simple.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Power Windows posted:

Where did the "no one kicks out of the Falcon Arrow" meme start?

With the first Falcon Arrow.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

ChrisBTY posted:

Ok new question: How many 5* matches has WWE had from 2010-now. Not counting nXt.

Not counting NXT, one: Punk v. Cena, MitB '11.

EDIT: Of the WWF/WWE 5* matches, this is the only non-NXT one without Bret Hart or Shawn Michaels. They each had one in 1994 (Shawn v. Razor at WM X, Bret v. Owen at Summerslam) and 1997 (Bret v. Austin at WM 13, Shawn v. 'Taker at Badd Blood), and then WWE was barren until Punk v. Cena.

Some fun stats: NXT has had seven, compared to five for the entire rest of WWF/WWE history. Meanwhile, Kazuchika Okada has had five 5* matches with Kenny Omega; Misawa had seven 5* tag-team matches against the Holy Demon Army.

disaster pastor fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Aug 4, 2020

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

I don't remember if I've told this story here, but I have a friend who went to a Christian event of some kind a couple years ago where HBK was the big celebrity guest, and there was (of course?) a big group discussion of his born-again faith, and he was struck by how humble and liberal-seeming Shawn is. Other people were trying to push him on gays and trans people and the other kinds of people he should be speaking against because otherwise he's implicitly endorsing them, and HBK kept coming back to two points (I'm paraphrasing heavily, it's been years):
a) he's going to assume everyone is the person God made them to be re: sexual orientation and gender expression and race and creed, and if that's not true and it's somehow his business to know, God'll fill him in when he dies,
and b) he's not inclined to condemn people because he has too much in his past for him to think anything other than "if I could be saved, anyone could be saved."

When that story came out a couple weeks ago about HBK having to explain BLM and racial inequity to an insensitive producer, it reminded me of this story and of that first point. These stories are a good reminder of why he mentioned that second point.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

collocation posted:

That's a cool story about Shawn and makes me like him more, but Meltzer said that the BLM story was false on his board, sadly.

Ah, I didn't know that. That's a shame.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

Is this the most pathetic stable in wrestling history? (I'm not counting Norton because anything with Norton is automatically the tremendous thing in wrestling).

It gave us ScoopThis's "Adventures of the nWo B-Team," which was funny enough (to me, as a young teenager) to at least put them above X-Factor and a bunch of TNA stables.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Answers Me posted:

OK, as you’re desperate for a change of subject, indulge me with a question I’m sure has been asked over and over.

On a total whim I signed up to NJPW World to watch Wrestle Kingdom live, without having seen a single minute of NJPW before, and I’m hooked. What are the matches I should absolutely make sure I watch while I’ve still got the subscription?

I’m about to watch the Omega/Okada series, which I’ve heard loads about of course, but apart from that I haven’t really got a clue.

Vader v. Mutoh, 8/9/1991
Omega v. Naito, 8/13/2017
Tanahashi v. Suzuki, 10/8/2012

(assuming they're all available)

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Web Jew.0 posted:

This isn’t on New Japan World. Only version I’ve ever found was super low-res on DailyMotion: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xvuaak

blah. That's the best version I've ever seen, too (albeit back on VHS). I was holding out hope that they had a better one.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Cerebral Bore posted:

This kinda straddles the sad to watch and absolutely hilarious categories, but the main event of TNA Victory Road 2011 is absolutely legendary for all the wrong reasons.

Victory Road 2011 in its entirety could be considered "so bad it's hilarious."

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

britishbornandbread posted:

I just watched episode 70 with that six man tag match main event, with Kenta coming in, and the match itself was solid and enjoyable. I don't watch WWE anymore but when I did, I don't recall a match that reliable being given away for free so casually.

Part of the trick here is that WWE shifted "big TV main event" until it was functionally identical to "big PPV match." The way AEW seems to do it, speaking as another relative newcomer, is arguably the way everybody should: do tag and multi-man tag matches and pull in multiple storylines. That way a) your big one-on-one match is teased but stays fresh (unlike, i.e., John Cena vs. Randy Orton, which kept happening years after it first became stale), b) your midcarders and upper midcarders get a main event rub, and c) you can actually do a real finish because you have options that aren't "the one main eventer pins the other main eventer and now why bother paying to watch them on PPV?"

The unfortunate thing is that WWE used to know this. One of those Big RAW Moments people used to talk about was the ten-man tag with DX and the Radicalz against Cactus, Rock, Rikishi and Too Cool. When Too Cool's music hit, the place exploded. Nobody was thinking "well, Rikishi and especially Too Cool are too low on the card, they don't really belong in this spot," they were thinking "oh, poo poo, this is going to rule!"

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Kosmo Gallion posted:

What is the perfect wrestling match?

It doesn't necessarily be the best match ever, but what are some matches that are perfectly booked, taking into account the wrestlers ability, the time, the location, the booking etc?

I'm watching Cena vs Umaga Last Man Standing and my god does it own.

Michaels/Undertaker Hell in a Cell.

MassRafTer posted:

Jumbo vs Misawa.

Also this.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Vagabundo posted:

Do I dare ask what the consequences are if D'Lo detaches his own head?

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

History Comes Inside! posted:

He seems to have hosed off and maybe he’s re-evaluating his life

Is there any sign that this is happening, though? Because all I've seen online are his supporters yelling about age of consent and how he's being treated unfairly, plus the discussion that time a few weeks ago NJPW was going to bring him back and the locker room revolted.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Vagabundo posted:

It was just him and Masanonu Fuchi left in AJPW when the exodus happened, IIRC.

Was there any reason why Fuchi was also left behind? Was he just a Nigel No Mates?

Fuchi was in his late 40s and an AJPW lifer. Plus, being the other Japanese wrestler staying behind got him back into the serious part of the card instead of curtain-jerking old-timer matches.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

davidbix posted:

And one of the weird things about AJPW in that era was how guys who still had something to offer were shunted into the old man comedy matches. Not only was Fuchi still quite good, but the younger Tsuyoshi Kikuchi was as well, despite having spent years in the comedy matches. (Seemingly for head injury-related reasons.) Nobody had any idea that he was still an awesome wrestler until he was a pushed junior heavyweight again in NOAH.

Yeah, and Fuchi went on to have the five-star tag match with Kawada later that year.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Gavok posted:

In terms of domino effects, I wonder how much of Owen's death relies on the Mankind/Undertaker Hell in a Cell match. Forcing Owen into that situation felt like the company was too high on its own power and sense of invincibility to have any real perspective on safety and I can't help but feel that it was riding on the miracle that Foley somehow didn't die or end up in a wheelchair after that one match.

Had Foley gotten seriously messed up (more than he already was), they would have focused more on the safety of the Blazer entrance or even scrapped it completely. But because Foley was relatively fine, Owen would probably be fine.

Alternately, Vince would have gone ahead anyway because "you'll be in a harness, Mick wasn't in a harness, they're two different things, don't worry about it."

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

sticklefifer posted:

I thought the main thing was that it was a sailboat hitch that wasn't meant to support a person's weight.

disaster pastor posted:

I just Googled to make sure I'm not completely talking out of my rear end on this one. There were a couple issues here.

1) like you said, WWE was using a shackle intended for sailing, not for live stunts. WWE's fault (and in court, they admitted this much).

2) Lewmar knew stunt coordinators were using their shackle unsafely, did nothing to discourage them, and continued to distribute to them. Mostly Lewmar's fault, obviously partly the users' faults.

3) the shackle in question had caused "several fatal accidents" in the years before Owen's death, and Lewmar had neither corrected the issues that led to those accidents nor done any communication to get people to stop using them for stunts. Lewmar's fault.

The judge called Martha's and Lewmar's settlement fraudulent given that it disregarded points 2 and especially 3 to release Lewmar from liability (and implicitly shift it to WWE). WWE was then free to sue Lewmar, and Lewmar ended up paying WWE about half of what WWE paid Martha.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Seams posted:

I googled around a bit and it looks like he said it in the leadup to Survivor Series 97, which means it might've been a reference to the 'Age in the Cage' WCW match from Halloween Havoc 97.

Yeah, I always took it as a dig at Hogan and Piper, because I remembered them squabbling over which of them was the real "Icon."

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I forget the names in the match but I swear CMLL had legends match that was even worse than the AAA one and Bushwackers vs Sheik/Volkov

Are you thinking of Dos Caras/El Rayo de Jalisco Jr./Villano IV vs. Canek/Cien Caras/Mascara Año 2000?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unoDnMSATJ0

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

Nash's kneelifts were always so good, because his legs are so long that his knee wouldn't end up anywhere near his opponent

And that would be fine because "thighlifts" would still probably hurt, but his legs were so skinny due to his injuries that it was usually either, a, his baggy pants hid both the skinniness and the impact, or, b, it just looked ridiculous.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

CombineThresher posted:

Yeah, it absolutely stomped the gas pedal on the issues that led to his release, but he also asked for a lighter schedule specifically because he knew what the road would do to him and they still hosed him over.

I can't possibly imagine why Vince "I have no sympathy for addicts, they aren't tough enough to handle their problems" McMahon would promise Scott Hall an easier schedule and then renege. Unfathomable.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

Danielson is also very good at selling.

Yeah, I remember complaining when he started his singles run in WWE that he was hurting his own chances because he was making his opponents look so much better than they could make him look.

SG Bamboo posted:

It's this. Ishii is the best at selling since Toshiaki Kawada

But this is true.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

DLC Inc posted:

Question: why does everyone hate EVIL and his title reign? Back when I still followed NJPW he seemed like a fairly midcard, maybe underutilized wrestler. Then I heard he was suddenly in Bullet Club (which sounded weird af) and I assumed people didn't like that but I have no knowledge about the quality of his out-of-nowhere championship reign or the matches.

You know how pre-BC EVIL was a perfectly good big man/brawly type with some suplexing and stuff? Well, throw all that out, and replace it with constant cheating and Dick Togo interference, even against guys who aren't on his level.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Hirez posted:

lol, have there been any other "shoot" title changes cause of injuries or ref gently caress ups (i think there was one in WWE during the covid era with one of the womens titles? also not including the montreal screw job)

SuperBrawl in 1998, Rick Martel was supposed to beat Booker T and then Saturn to retain the TV title. In the match with Booker T, though, Martel took a bump wrong and absolutely destroyed his knee and ended his career. So not only did he audible to put Booker over for the belt, Booker then at first had no idea if he was going to keep it or if they'd go with Saturn beating him for it immediately.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

rujasu posted:

So in other words, Booker T's push in 1998 was purely by accident? I didn't know that, but... yep, sounds like WCW!

Not purely. Martel had only won the TV title from Booker on the previous Nitro, and Booker had had it for a month at that point as the start of his singles push. But with Martel out of the picture, Booker got moved into the Benoit/Finlay feud that got credited with elevating him. (Though I have no idea if that was the original plan anyway and Martel's injury just moved up the timeline.)

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Two 1993 RAWs were from Alexandria Bay, NY. Population at the time would have been under 1200.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

FakePoet posted:

I figured as much; given said hazy memory, was there some drawn out legal battle over the Madusa thing, or was it not worth it?

IIRC, WCW knew instantly they were hosed because they'd been on that side of the fence with the Flair thing and won, as Davros said, and now they had a weaker defense than WWF had had in '91. So when Madusa trashed the belt on Nitro, WWF sued pretty much immediately, the case was settled very quickly (so WCW probably paid them quite a bit), and Bischoff said the lawyers told him in no uncertain terms they'd crucify him if he ever tried anything similar again.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Alaois posted:

they made him wrestle Big Cass like 4 times in WWE and every match sucked unbelievably bad

This can't be overstated. Bryan returned at WrestleMania in 2018, they threw him into the Cass feud after that, and the matches were so bad that people legitimately said "if this is the best Bryan can do, maybe he shouldn't have come back."

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

I Before E posted:

I want The Redeemer to have a face run. "Vengeance is mine", saith the Lord, and Miro is the guy he sent to dispense it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Pope Corky the IX posted:

So what do wrestling companies do about people in the crowd that get hit with stuff like water, blood, milk, beer, and semen? Does security run around and hand out cash for dry cleaning?

Pretty sure the ticket says "it's your problem, you assume 100% of the risk by paying us to be here."