Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

CombineThresher posted:

Yeah, Kenny and the Bucks do a lot to neutralize my distant concern that Cody and Brandi will put themselves front and center too much. It already bugs me a little that Cody does his full PPV entrance whenever he comes out to do anything.

I always hear "Kenny and the Bucks" to the tune of "Benny and the Jets"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

And now I'm remembering a mid 90s WCW promo where Jim Duggan called Hogan "a great technical wrestler", shattering kayfabe into a trillion pieces.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Yeah, I think he said that being IWGP champ was super stressful

I think him being a transition champ is a good idea though

On the other hand, he's currently AAA Megachampion, is that not stressful as well?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Genuinely I can't ever remember hearing an Imagine Dragons song.

I have probably heard several of their songs, but I have never associated them with that name.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Maxwell Lord posted:

The answer to this is "play Saints Row IV"

It also has prominent Rowdy Roddy Piper, to keep this wrestling related

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

I'm always going to be a sucker for any match type where the victory conditions don't involve the standard pinfall / submission stop, because it means that competitors get a chance to find more interesting things to do.

To this end I'm going to say "feast or fired" as my favourite currently unused gimmick format. The matches rarely turned out great, but there was so much room for shenannigans

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Edge & Christian posted:

Based on Archive.org, that Underquaker up there isn't even the original shirt, which makes sense because that particular Undertaker looks more grizzled than the 2004 version.

The original one is much, much worse

It's true, HHH was delivering a lot of ** beatings in 2004.

"society of dead friends"

what the gently caress.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

sticklefifer posted:

I didn't want to put this in the AEW thread because it moves fast and seems more focused on their weekly show, but... where do I start with AEW?

A friend and I have started sporadically catching up, but so far we both find it a little confusing. I know who like 90% of the people are, but it kind of seems like AEW was heavily banking on insider fans with heavy knowledge of indies & international feds being the core audience. So I find myself having to explain to my friend who everyone is and what's going on. We watched Double or Nothing and enjoyed it, but I'm not sure whether we're supposed to go straight into All Out next, or if "Fyter Fest" was a real thing that a wrestling promotion actually titled a full PPV and if we should watch that next. I assume once we get to the point where Dynamite starts weekly, it gets a bit more focused?

Fyter Fest is skippable. Some good matches, but the only strong story beat was Shawn Spears waffling Cody with a chair. Fight For The Fallen is fun but inconsequential. However the SCU/Lucha Brothers match is out of this world.

It's worth watching All Out before watching Dynamite just to get a few things set up. It gives the start of dissention in the Elite, showcases some of the tag teams, and has a lot of really good fun matches. The Bucks/Luchas ladder match is a showstopper, and you'll want to see the world title be decided in the main event.

No show is going to explain everything though. One of their weaknesses is not introducing stuff properly.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

sticklefifer posted:

Nice, thanks. I'll probably do select matches from FF and FftF (that's a lot of Fs) and then go straight to All Out.

Do any more OWE/DG guys show up? I was pretty stoked about Cima's crew showing up on DoN.

They do occasionally. There's a Kenny/CIMA match from Fight For The Fallen that's out of this world. I'd like to see more of them.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

SG Bamboo posted:

I was imagining Shibata glaring at the Bucks as they tried goofy poo poo on the road and am now disappointed this does not exist

Kojima comes on as a guest and room service is just loaf after loaf of bread.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Where the hell has Aleister Black been

like I haven't been watching WWE for months but generally I at least get what's going on from twitter people and gif accounts and stuff

Did he piss someone off?

They have no idea, NO idea, how to properly use him. So their solution is to either not use him or keep doing the thing that isn't working.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

STONE COLD 64 posted:

i was watching an old roh dvd (ring of homicide 2) and saw daizee haze vs billie kay. this was over 11 years ago. who are some other wrestlers that had some pretty obscure beginnings in semi major feds (roh, pwg, tna, etc) that wound up later getting a wwe main roster spot?

A friend of mine lived in Ohio in the mid 2000s and was a fan of local indies like HWA and NWF. There was a guy on their cards who was talented for an undercard dude but who just could not string any meaningful wins together, something the crowd mocked him for. As someone yelled at one show:

"oh, Moxley, will you ever win?"

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

My own one of these is that back in 2011 I went to one of the last NWA Hammerlock shows in a town called Cheshunt in Hertfordshire. The turnout was pitiful, 25 people if that. I was only there because Colt Cabana was on the card. It was the last independently produced NWA Hammerlock show and it was a sad affair. The only thing that stood out was the main event, which was a cage match between two of their up and coming stars. Jon Ryan was an okay wrestler, nothing special, but that Jimmy Havoc kid had something.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

IWA Mid-South (best known for deathmatches, some of which were utter trash) had a three way in 2002 between CM Punk, Eddy Guererro, and an unmasked Rey Mysterio Jr that is one of my favourite matches of all time https://youtu.be/a5EULLFRv9E

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

NikkolasKing posted:

Who are some of the "loudest" sellers?

I can't say if he's the best but I always remember how vocal of a performer Lex Luger ws. I know it's him from his very distinct grunts of pain.

He's got better at the psychology of selling, but Will Ospreay used to be the loudest seller on the planet.

And the comedy option is early career Chuck Taylor matches where he would just SCREAM when someone hit him. Or threatened to.

Lamuella fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Dec 15, 2019

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

jesus WEP posted:

Savage from the late 90s onwards apparently couldn’t land on his hip anymore so he’d just shoot elbow drop people

I'm reminded of the Mick Foley story about thinking Terry Funk had the best punch in the business, and really looking forward to being in a Funk match to see how it was done.

And then Terry just punches him in the face.

Afterwards when Mick talks to him about it he said "aw... and you just thought I was really good."

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

anakha posted:

Someone like ZSJ might be able to wrestle into his senior years given his style. gently caress impact finishers, just tie your opponent into a pretzel.

Johnny Saint, whose style has a LOT of crossover with ZSJ, was still having 15 minute against the likes of Johnny Kidd and Mike Quackenbush until he was seventy.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

marktheando posted:

Edit- gently caress wrong thread

My wrestling question is, why doesn't anyone in AEW have supernatural powers?

Because Chuck Taylor's grenades will only work if he gets to say "poo poo" on TV

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Randaconda posted:

And when Russo attacked her, it didn't really feel like a wrestling attack, it felt way more like domestic abuse for some reason. That might just be me, though.

I just watched it and holy poo poo this was just creepily brutal and repellent. Not in a "This guy's an rear end in a top hat, I want to see him get his comeuppance" way, but in a "I feel embarrassed watching this" way.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Randaconda posted:

Right?and TNA kept this guy around for loving years, to the point they lied to Spike about it and it likely kept Spike from keeping them on the station

Genuinely I've seen Nick Gage intergender matches where I didn't feel as bad for the woman involved.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Let's be accurate: the Young Bucks were never in TNA.

You're thinking of Generation Me, the tagteam consisting of Max and Jeremy Buck.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Has anyone in wrestling ever actually got over because of a gimmick about having an outside job?

(The Undertaker doesn't count)

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Ganso Bomb posted:

Maybe we can count The Mountie, too?

I mean, he's handsome, he's brave, he's strong...

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

fadmonkey posted:

I hear Britt Baker is a dentist.

We're talking about people who are over.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Has anyone watched any Makai? Weird music / wrestling / theatre hybrid that Hikaru Shida is involved in. It's both over the top and sincere in a way that's quite appealing. This is a part of a recent show https://youtu.be/sDvqeJdtl0w

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Low Desert Punk posted:

what's the best match Big Show has ever had?

Da meltz puts his only 4* singles match as being a last man standing match with Roman Reigns from Extreme Rules 2015

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

extradite THIS! posted:

I think that Extreme Rules match was the one where Big Show sold his nuts getting crushed on the turnbuckle for like three minutes straight

I do recall that match being much better than it had any business being.

That's Janela level selling of a nut crush.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

unironically, Show is in AMAZING shape there.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Answers Me posted:

How meticulously booked are Royal Rumble matches? Obviously the ending and key spots are, but is it fully planned out who gets eliminated by whom, and in what order, for the whole thing?

My guess would be yes. At a minimum you'd need to know when you're coming in, who you're eliminating and roughly when, and who's eliminating you and roughly when.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

What continents does the IWGP Intercontinental title represent? North and South America like the WWE version?

Or does Intercontinental been used so long in wrestling that it just means "second best"?

No idea if it means anything but you could do it as Asia and Australasia.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Open Marriage Night posted:

Any good Danhausen matches? Found out today that I used to work for his dad.

I've enjoyed his stuff in Beyond. He and Effy have a tag team called Gaytanic Panic

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

El Hijo del Tirantes (AAA swole ref) is a lot of fun

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Honestly they might see him as an ace in the hole. Play out what they've got booked for a year while he works on his storytelling and makes good money, and then in early 2021 the AEW thread fills up with "it is Wednesday, my villains" frogs in plague doctor masks.

Wrestling has a tendency to toss away its old toys for new ones before finishing the game, so I'm content for Marty to be a later surprise.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

The Lord of Hats posted:

Where do wrestlers get their ring gear? I’d assume big promotions like WWE have a costuming department, but what about indies and the like?

People make and sell them, or if wrestlers are enterprising they make their gear themselves. Colt Cabana taught himself to sew so he could make his own ring gear.

Before being hired by AEW to make their costumes Denise Cutler (Brandon's wife) made a living making wrestling gear and cosplay costumes.

Plus a lot of the basic gear can just be bought. Highspots, for example, sells off the peg or custom wrestling gear http://www.highspots.com/c/Wrestling-Gear.html

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Why does Matt Riddle want me to punch him in the face?

he's just into it.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

IceAgeComing posted:

Kairi Sane was scouted by Stardom because she played a pro wrestling heel in a play and Fuka, one of the executives in Stardom at the time, saw the thing and offered her a spot in the Stardom dojo.

Hikaru Shida came from an acting background but I don't think it was theatre acting (the story with her was that she was in a TV series called Muscle Venus with the cast of that basically forming an idol group from it; then they collectively got cast in a film about pro wrestling and all got pro wrestling training in the Ice Ribbon dojo with Shida, Tsukasa Fujimoto and Miyako Matsumoto discovering that they really liked wrestling so stuck with it afterwards) but she later formed MAKAI which is sort of a fusion of theatre acting and pro wrestling; not entirely sure how exactly to describe it.

Makai is wonderful, and a bunch of their shows are online. Imagine a mythological play set in the afterlife, taking place in a wrestling ring, with heavy metal accompaniment and LARP weapons. A section from a recent show can be found here, and lots of their full shows are on their youtube account: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKHGLyAm6k4

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

gently caress you for showing this to me because now I'm all in addicted to it and can't stop watching. I hope you're happy.

Delighted.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

I Before E posted:

Did we ever find out what the personal story about Vince Punk alluded to at the end of the pipebomb was?

my assumption was always that it was nothing, and that "personal story about Vince" was the cue to the sound desk to cut Punk's mic in about 5 seconds.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

If the only good thing that ever came out of AEW was giving Dustin Rhodes a satisfying and fulfilling later career resurgence it would still be a worthwhile venture. He seems to happy to be having good matches and training up new guys and I'm so delighted for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

The first time I saw this was in the Mixed Tag Challenge, and it was really good. Dustin is great.

So is lovely Dustin.

if AEW doesn't give us, at least once, a Dustin & Dustin tag team, what's the point of anything?

rujasu posted:

A while ago, I went back and watched some of Sting's early matches. Two things stuck out at me - one, like you say he was extremely over with the crowd from the beginning, and two, I got more of an appreciation of why that big corner splash was a signature move for him. As a young guy, he was getting some serious height on that thing and it looked drat impressive.

something I do think 80s wrestling got right, and sometimes modern wrestling misses, is the Enthusiastic Guy. Babyfaces who are happy to be there, a livewire with the crowd, and do moves that are fast and athletic rather than incredibly hardhitting or technically devastating. I'm sure people have modern examples of this, but the closest I see in modern wrestling is someone like Warhorse.

Lamuella fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Feb 3, 2020