Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

it's a disgusting show, and the new season will be unbearable
I'll watch it, of course

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

iirc "capeshit" is an alt right pejorative for superhero movies, because they're all produced by Jews of course

it's a /co/ term for superhero comics, shows, movies etc., not every single thing 4chan does is antisemitic or racist

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

I’m actually pretty sure that’s not true

yeah they're also sexist and homophobic

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Farm Frenzy posted:

*mark fisher voice* as the crowd at woodstock '99 threw piss and cum at fred durst, they yearned for something different

adam curtis voice: and then the strangest thing happened *image of osama bin laden*

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

cargo cult posted:

the rammstein Amerika video totally owns cause its like this damning indictment of neoliberal global capitalism from the losers of WWII

i feel like it's simultaneously inciseive and hugely problematic. if they hadn't got their poo poo pushed in by the USSR how would that music video play out?

rammstein didn't lose ww2 and neither did they get their poo poo pushed in by the soviets

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

sitchensis posted:

Does it keep you up at night, I asked, the thought that you might be engaging in a kinder, gentler form of exploitation?

“Doesn't look like anything to me.”

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

tfw you spend 100 grand on college and you get this book as assigned reading:

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Atrocious Joe posted:

Dude has a drat successful resume. One to be jealous of. Which hit films / TV series did you make by the way?

nash bridges, crossing jordan, lost, star trek movie, cowboys & aliens, prometheus
wow it's all poo poo (maybe prometheus is ok)

the leftovers was very good, but considering what the rest of his resume looks like I'm gonna say it's cause of his co-writer

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Also what if Spiderman was magic is legit one of the best ideas thats been brought to that table in decades and it was a ton of fun and I hate them for ignoring it considering that it gave us the comic book event that gave us the best superhero movie since blade

you're gonna have to explain what you're talking about here since I have no idea what graphic novel/run this is and what the "best CB movie since blade" is (it's deadpool but he's marvel and you're talking about dc so you're thinking of something else)

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

No I'm also talking about marvel you fuckin dipshit

And Into the Spider-Verse happened because of the runaway success of Spider-Verse, the comic book event where Spidermen from multiple dimensions teamed up to fight the bad guys from the rhn where Spiderman was magic

lmao I misread "Spiderman" as "Superman"

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Disney should hire Jason Aaron to write a script based on his unused script for a star wars comic about the stormtroopers hunting down Yoda and dagobah and it becomes predator with Yoda as the predator

lol this sounds perfect and I don't like almost anything star wars

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

the calves are cramping

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Percelus posted:

how did like half the movie going public not realize what verhoeven was doing with starship troopers?

people are very stupid, by and large, which is why we're in the poo poo we're in right now

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

foobardog posted:

Actually one of the best scenes I remember from Paranoia Agent is an otaku's plastic figurines being the ones who spoke for him, calling him just an empty shell.

(This was while reality was breaking down and generally being batshit, which is one of the most enjoyable parts of any Kon works.)

i haven't watched much anime but the intro song to PA is one of 3 anime songs that i can recognize in my head (#2 is NGE of course and #3 is one of the patlabor tv show songs)

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

the show is a murderous stalker thriller with comedic touches, just like dexter had funny stuff in it and the sopranos was practically a dramedy
that doesn't mean the shows themselves are portraying serial killers and mafiosos as good people
I think people get mixed up with "you" because of the MC's internal monologueing which shows how delusional he is, like when he's talking about a bad breakup with a former girlfriend when it was him trying to kill her and she managing to escape from him, or him talking about how he's given up on love and it's amazing how he keeps running into this new girl but he keeps resisting her until succumbing blah blah blah and then the show explicitly shows his inner monologue was all lies and he stalked her and slithered into her life like the psycho he is
ironically, people are doing exactly what they shouldn't and what the show is supposed to convey to them not to do - taking a serial killer at face value

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

ok, fair enough, he's not a serial killer in that he wants to kill people and derives enjoyment from that, he's "just" a serial stalker and kidnapper who also has an impressive bodycount
the show is giving you everything you need to put together that this is a bad man, but people keep pushing corner puzzle pieces in the middle and blaming the show for that

edit: for god's sake, he's free and clear at the end of season 2, he could just live a boring rich life but he sees a loving hand through a crack in his fence and he's off to the races again

Doktor Avalanche has issued a correction as of 15:46 on Jan 11, 2020

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

docbeard posted:

(The last episode of Blackadder Goes Forth is a surprisingly grim and poignant look at the realities of "oh poo poo, these people who've been having wacky dumb hijinks in the middle of a brutal war are actually for real going to die for no goddamn reason".)

even captain darling got a sympathetic portrayal in the end

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

everything except lube man was poo poo, I rarely laugh out loud to tv shows (even comedies) but that got one out of me

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Grevling posted:

Yeah they often have that problem because they think viewers are morons who have to be spoonfed everything.

they're not exactly wrong

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

steinrokkan posted:

The only good animated shows were made in the Soviet union and affiliated countries.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Taintrunner posted:

this is the best television has been in decades oh my lord

lol no

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

ngl this looks really good

it's boring

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

pentyne posted:

or the upper middle class witness so proud to report Tony and Co. to the police so they could do something about all the "drug crime" in the area and then freaking out and recanting the moment he finds out it was mob related

the scene where they find out the dead guy is a mobster is great
"you had to be the big man!!!"

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

lol when the cohen song started playing in the trailer I felt ill, the sound of his voice set to this capeshit was like a parody video

Doktor Avalanche has issued a correction as of 23:07 on Aug 23, 2020

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

mysterious frankie posted:

Buster Scruggs is great. Each vignette is memorable in some way.

i can't forget the ending to meal ticket

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

homeland might be worse than 24

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

babypolis posted:

the last bit i saw of homeland was mandy patakin trying to convince brody to go to iran to assasinate some high ranking general and he frames it as just setting things right between two nations who havent been on speaking terms, lmao

yeah that bit is unbelievable, it really leaves you in awe at the stupidity of the writer(s)
he's portraying iran as this insular stubborn regime that refuses to talk to america and that's the whole problem here lol, if the iranians only had someone in charge who was under the thumb of the CIA things would get better
the rest of the show is in the same vein, the politics are pure democrats.txt, socially liberal with psycho foreign policy

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Some Guy TT posted:

i only saw one season of homeland and the main thing i remember is that they accidentally make the osama bin laden analog so sympathetic that he has to murder the idiot medical student in front of whatshername just so that we know hes an rear end in a top hat

that happens a lot, the IRGC guy saul turns kills his ex wife with a broken bottle and her daughter from another marriage as well, and it's for no reason other than "she divorced me XX years ago!"
like you said, the enemies have to be complete monsters because otherwise what the gang is doing is loving monstrous
oh and russiagate is there in the last couple of seasons, and a fake news guy as well, it's like a laundry list of lib grievances

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Mundrial Mantis posted:

There was an interview where Terry Gilliam said that he is surprise that the far-right like the movie since so much of it applies to them. Hell, Timothy McVeigh used Tuttle and Buttle as aliases which shocked Gilliam.

it's hilarious how writers/directors/creatives have no idea how people think
of course they don't see how it applies to them, it can't because they're GOOD and the bad stuff in the movie is BAD

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Some Guy TT posted:

final comment i really love how a movie that is literally premised on police brutality still manages to make defense attorneys the bad guy in the form of union lawyer jim krasinksi of all the ridiculous people that could have been used for a walk on role

just insanely impressive laser focus on racism in a vacuum as being the cause of all our problems and willful ignorance when it comes the idea that our legal system is designed to facilitate racism not the other way around

hahaha the moment jim from the office appears you know it's gonna be a liberal crapfest

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Breakfast All Day posted:

is he even a liberal, i thought he was just a straight never-trump, ghw bush decorus spook and troop state style republican. i realize the distinction is splitting hairs

i mean he did the loving benghazi movie as a passion project

i gotta admit that i mentally labeled him a cia lib just because of his goofy face

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Weembles posted:

Armando Iannucci had a pretty clear vision of how the blairites work, but he still sided with them during the whole Jeremy Corbyn saga.

isn't this the inevitable thing with each and every one of these people who make a tv show or a movie that is an incisive critique of the system and then you look at their tweets or articles and turns out they're the libbiest of libs

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

ennis from punisher born:

Doktor Avalanche has issued a correction as of 18:15 on Oct 5, 2020

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Bro Dad posted:

hes also this guy

how many drugs do you have to be on to do that

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Marx Was A Lib posted:

lmao miley cyrus released the best rock album of the last couple of years

just lmao rock is trash, then hannah montana saved it just lmao

what a loving year

looks more like your taste is trash

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Marx Was A Lib posted:

"no, actually, imagine dragons is good!"

lol are you implying that I'm an imagine dragons fan? hahahaha

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Sing Along posted:

has anybody watched carnivale? I'm like four hours in and it's very odd but also strangely compelling

incredibly based, it ended too early
the mythology is great:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqc0R6Geh_8
(beginning of the first ep so there aren't any spoilers in the video)

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

"my podcast friends liking things i don't like? impossible! it must be the money! or they're padding, yeah that's it, padding..."

maybe they just don't have the exact same opinions as you, you loving weirdo

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Hodgepodge posted:

i was intrigued until the part about their job and then i just read it a few more times to make sure i properly understood and yeah its real dumb

I think vyelkin's joke went over your head. Fielder rules so the show might turn out really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Dreylad posted:

if nothing else, riddick rules for giving us one of the greatest posts on these fine forums.

nothing will ever beat "ok hotshot, do it then. call mace windu the n-word." or however it goes