Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Bert Roberge posted:

A body horror clayface movie would be really good and be impossible to get funding for.

Just watch The Thing again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
I watch crap. I just watched the Hobbit trilogy and thought it was ok. I used to like How I Met Your Mother. The show I'm most excited about is Murder House Renovation.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Serf posted:

also jack ryan is the most mary sue rear end character ever. he's a former marine and lone survivor type who got out, became a doctor of computers or money or some poo poo, went to wall street but quit because he's too "moral" and then joined the loving cia. and despite being some goober who sits behind a computer and tracks financial transactions he's totally buff and will kick "terrorist" rear end. every time someone calls him "doctor ryan" i can't help but laugh

Later in his career he becomes president.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

vyelkin posted:

based on the harrison ford movies I think in the books he was a war college history professor/cia analyst, so of course when they updated it with jim from the office they made him now be an economist finances computer dork lmao

Originally he was a Navy analyst sub nerd who got roped into events during The Hunt for Red October because he figured out that the Soviets had created a mostly silent drive for their sub and that the crew was planning to defect. It was Tom Clancy's first and only good book.

Later, during a war against a resurgent Japan, the Japanese ram an airliner into the Capitol during the State of the Union address and kill off all of the executive and judicial branch and most of Congress. By this point Ryan is VP because he solved the I/P conflict and the previous VP was sacked for being a rapist, and he's the designated survivor.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I'm sorry. Did you just say there's a war with JAPAN in the Clancyverse?

I think it's a trilogy. I tried reading the first one but it was real rear end.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

quote:

Gillis’ comments have drawn mixed reactions from the comedy community. People like Jimmy O. Yang and W. Kamau Bell have publicly condemned him, while David Spade, Bill Burr, and Jim Jefferies defended him during a panel on Spade’s Comedy Central late-night series on Monday night.

lol

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Haven't seen "When They See Us" but Jared Harris got robbed, yo!

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

KomradeX posted:

As an adult I absolutely love Winston. But as a kids he didn't do much. Mostly because they hosed the character over after Eddie Murphy didn't get the part or passed on it for some reason. So they like halved his screen time.

Eddie Murphy passed on it because he thought it sounded dumb and was super-pissed at himself when it came out and was a blockbuster.

Fun to think what the charisma supernova that was a young Eddie Murphy might've brought to that film.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Freaking Crumbum posted:

same thing happened with true detective. the bromance between harrelson and mcconaughey and the way that the show introduced subtle supernatural themes in season 1 was like lightning in a bottle. season 2 and 3 were both wet farts imo, although season 3 is mainly guilty of just trying to re-tell the same story from season 1 but with different actors, whereas season 2 tried to cast vince vaughn as a badass action hero and that is maybe the most laughably awful casting decision i can think of in recent memory. i could not buy vaughn as a bareknuckle boxing gangster rear end kicker no matter how hard they tried to sell it

I remember before season 2 came out there were rumors that HBO was trying to get Brad Pitt to sign on for a New Orleans based detective story but I guess that didn't work out. Too bad because that sounds a hell of a lot better than what we ended up with.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

get that OUT of my face posted:

didn't they do the same thing with Dark Knight Rises

Dark Knight Rises had all that sad music when the billionaires were getting lynched by the proles and here I was drunk as a monkey at the theater just hooting and hollering.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Some Guy TT posted:

final report on stranger things season two yeah that went downhill fast less a matter of the show being bad so much as it just being weirdly anticlimactic with everyone converging on a final boss fight that had gently caress all to do with anyones story arc up until that point

Season 3 is better, if for no other reason than it goes completely gonzo.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Edit: wrong thread.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Wonder if I can get Charlie Day to sing "Go gently caress Yourself".

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
I'm the weirdo who liked TLJ because of it's dedication to clearing the decks of as much of the original trilogy as possible.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Some Guy TT posted:

i wanna guess theres context for this that makes him look less like a murderous psycho but it actually makes him look like more of a murderous psycho doesnt it

Jawas are a pain in the rear end.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Stairmaster posted:

rape will never happen in star wars

*cough* Jabba *cough*

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

vyelkin posted:

I've never watched that show but everything I've read about it makes it sound insufferable. Like "wow rich and famous people get sad too, also they're talking animals for some reason" is not a comedic premise I find very appealing for some reason!!

The venn diagram of Bojack fans and people who are depressed and anxious is a perfect circle

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
I like Perry Mason a lot. This is the first I've heard of people not liking it.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Gulliermo del Toro's adaptation of At the Mountains of Madness is my personal Jodorowsky's Dune.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Grevling posted:

I expected more of Stalingrad, it's pretty schlocky.

tbf so was saving private ryan

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Taintrunner posted:

The only people that watch WWE anymore are boomers and redditors.

...and me

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Judge Dredd Scott posted:

only book to do that right is years of rice and salt, where the only white people left are in the north hebrides and entirely irrelevant to muslim colonized europe

also honestly its the only alt history to not leave a bad taste in my mouth

The WWI sequence was goddamn insane.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Will Smith: Wifeguy

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Ghost Leviathan posted:

R rated Asterix

"I don't think a 10 minute scene of Caesar having full and complete sex with Obelix was necessary, but god drat it was hot!"

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

can someone please help me set up a movie list for the family holidays

- movie cannot be "woke"
- no more than 10 "f-bombs"
- movie cannot be "too pagan" (sorry Northman)
- movie is allowed to be made by a black person or woman, but not if they are annoying
- nudity is fine, but no sex with parts! pure and honorable marital sex is a plus
- no movie older than ten years unless it still has "good graphics"
- unambiguous morality is a plus (i.e. good vs. evil); the bad guys cannot be the U.S. military

thank you and god bless

Fury Road

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Feel the same way that I did when Ennio Morricone died. Like a titan just passed us by.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Serf posted:

i was at the dentist yesterday and met my first person other than me who has seen avatar 2. i asked her what she thought about it and her response was "it was really long"

later on the dentist was talking to his assistant about tv recommendations and he brought up the white lotus. the assistant was like "i can't believe you told me to watch that, that one scene ruined it all for me." i was really curious so i asked her later what scene she meant and she was like "the one where the two men have sex" lmao. how far we haven't come. to be fair in the scene the older man is eating the younger man's rear end, which is decent shock value i suppose but she went on to clarify "i don't care who anyone likes, but don't make me see it. hollywood is trying to shove it down our throats. my boyfriend yelled at me for making him see that." sounds like a man who is very secure and very stable

Imagine being an adult and shouting at your SO because you saw gay sex on cable in 20-goddamn-23. Those two deserve each other.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

StashAugustine posted:

There's probably an argument that the LOTR movies were peak special effects and its just been getting worse since then

Eh, Fury Road. That poo poo was spectacular.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Serf posted:

it's actually disturbingly common. i've heard some variation of this story from quite a few people. any time gay sex is depicted onscreen the man in the story gets overtly disgusted and violent about it. seems weird to me

What a strange way to be.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

ArmZ posted:

off the top of my head, the only director I can think of that has done good sex scenes is ang lee

Lars Von Trier certainly knows how to make a stomach churning sex scene.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Going onto a platform with millions of users to announce that you're a shithead who despises fun.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

El Diablo Bob O posted:

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/SentimentalDizzyKentrosaurus-mobile.mp4

I've recently started a re-watch of DS9, Season 1. I love it. The characters are so good.

First few seasons are ok but when Worf shows up in Season 4 and starts demolishing everyone's poo poo it really takes off.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Buck Wildman posted:

lower decks is genuinely funny if a little saccharine at times

lower decks is the most fun when they go back to the planets that were visited during TOS and TNG just to find that the pat solution that the Enterprise came up with at the time came unraveled almost immediately.

That and the entire vault of comically evil AIs.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Did they get Jackie Chan to voice Shredder? That owns.

Really strong Spiderverse vibes from this one.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

I knew Chase was an rear end in a top hat, but dropping the hard-r on Donald Glover is a new low. Guy is just so genuinely talented and charismatic that I can't imagine the brainworms you'd need to have to do that poo poo.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Urdnot Fire posted:

He’s voicing Splinter. Shredder’s actor (or even appearance) hasn’t been announced yet

Eh, that's still good.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

MeatwadIsGod posted:

The Americans is hilarious for the aforementioned wigs and also stuff like the middle school-aged daughter reading Capital but it's like the width of a children's book and that Marx says religion is a "drug that keeps people in chains" lol. As far as late-stage empire propaganda against a vanquished foe it's pretty entertaining but also very silly. The family drama aspects aren't bad

The series of episodes around Able Archer were pretty good.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
lol you guys remember they made a whole movie out of Barack and Michelle's first date?

And then the press asked Michelle about it and she said, "It wasn't all that great a first date."

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Owen Wilson looks like a guy trying to master a look and Bob Ross was just a guy with a look.

Maybe the movie will be better than the poster, but at least in these photos he doesn't exude that easy calm and mastery that Bob Ross had over his space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

AJ is the best Sopranos character easily

This is Silvio erasure!