Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I only got through the first day and have some somewhat spooilery questions:
I went with apocalypse cop from the start and intend to continue for this playthrough (I internalized apoc thought), and I assume I ought to go with 'end of humanity' kind of choices to proceed along this route, however I've grown kind of fond of disco stuff, is there a disco cop archetype and am I hurting apocalypse by choosing disco dialogue options instead of doomsayer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Avalerion posted:

It’s pretty clear to me I won’t find this games humor funny, but I’ve had several people suggest there’s actually an intriguing and well written detective/mystery story with a supernatural twist to it there too, so I plan to focus on that, if that makes sense.

Worst case scenario I still won’t like it but with how much it’s blowing up I feel like I have to at least give it it’s fair chance.

I think I mostly wasn't amused by actual jokes but a lot of dialogue and happenings are plain hilarious due to context. Or maybe context or sarcastic tone I imagined my character using race theorist genuinly cracked me up with his conviction and terminology, especially when you fail attack check. Also "No, I don't think I can handle [whatsitcalled] chimera right now."

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

There is something that's bugging me. Might actually be a bug Map says I have a white volition check with Joyce but clicking through her dialogue shows nothing, I succesfully begged for money and had both conversations about the world as well as me/RCM, there doesn't seem to be anything left. Does anyone know if she has more volition checks? I suspect it might be the check when Kim told me not to ask about the world and I unsuccessfully asked him to gently caress off for a minute, but since I talked to her without him, dialogue option isn't there anymore

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I'm so glad I didn't antagonize Cuno, this poo poo is awful, hilarious and amazing
E: and sad

Sekenr fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Nov 1, 2019

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

chaosapiant posted:

MAXIMUM VELOCITY

* puts down in the report that rocks were thrown at maximum velocity*

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Broken Cog posted:

Listening to the OST again, I'm really liking the track that plays when (ending spoilers)you run into your colleagues after the visit to the island..

Also, like with the Tribunal, it was a part of the game where it took me a second to process what was happening, but then my heart sank immediately when I realized what was going on.

Really good scene setup or whatever you would call it.

Does OST have the failed karaoke? It was TRUE feeling you loving scum. I don't know how many of you have experience with drugs and binges but yes, this is writing is real. Even this starting moment when you have the option of banging on the door screaming "you whore" is basically feeling of utter collapse and hope against hope that this will somehow accomplish something that will get her to understand your soul and set things right-er.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I feel like ideologically I feel with the union boy but the capital girl is so nicer to me

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Palpek posted:

The tag already got uploaded:

I'll just ring it up for anybody who quotes this post in the next day or so.

It being applied to an account depends on admin reaction time though (or you can buy an av with it added in img tags in the text field if you don't want to wait).

Get me that thing

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Goddamn I just did the Church and the dance thing, that was amazing and powerful poo poo. I failed the authority check with Kim to make him dance but I think it was quite moving and insightful to see what it comes to. And maybe explains why Kim is the way he is, you despite being an utter moster will always be a revacholian to some people and he will never be despite his best behavior.

Also I saw and bought magnesium pills IRL for some reason :D An advanced magnesium proto-man have just been born

Sekenr fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Nov 7, 2019

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Guys, we should change our gangtag to Joopson AS Men's Fashion, model "Colorful tie" to honor our comrade's noble sacrifice

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I am truly sorry if it spoils something to anyone, it's just too loving wonderful to keep to myself

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

There were so many powerful and touching moments but I think I'm gonna cry for the tie-friend

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Mods, change my name to Psycholocomotor

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Thats cool, boasting your bacterial infection like that

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

it is worth getting rid of that awful smile though

I got rid of *the expression* without shaving

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

The anthropods are in silent and meaningless awe of you. They are rooting for you :3
"No, you are the miracle." I am in silent and meaningless awe of ZA/UM's writing, how do they understand me so well?

Sekenr fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Nov 9, 2019

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

tripwood posted:

Fess up those who have finished, how many times did you cry during the game? I am man enough to admit to at least being choked up 3 times. Coach Physical Instrument wouldn't have approved.

I almost cried during the tie sacrifice for some reason. He is such a faithful friend

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

tripwood posted:

Fess up those who have finished, how many times did you cry during the game? I am man enough to admit to at least being choked up 3 times. Coach Physical Instrument wouldn't have approved.

TYPICAL PEDERASTY OF THE RCM

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

In my opinion the commander was b it to hard on Harry, look what we acheived:
murder - solved
drugs - yes
rarest insect - catalogued
heroic intervention to prevent bloodbath - done
good cop Kim Kitsuragi into cursed Precinct 41 - recruited
car - 50000 real in the drain
2 millimeter hole - exists
apocalypse - in 44 days
the *return* - fucken happening

Overall I say pretty stellar job, especially considing the roll call and that harry is considered one of *our* guys 100 percent. I think it refers to the return

Sekenr fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Nov 10, 2019

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Calico Heart posted:

What the fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck was that ending

a really long video-game-rear end conversation with a bunch of characters we barely know that goes on and on that is just "list of things you've done in the game"? It felt super duper lame and the game really should have ended after the phasmid and maybe a conversation with Kim. I was genuinely shocked there wasn't a post credits scene. The final line in the game is some random woman sauing "I'm a bit cold!"

In the end I kinda liked who the shooter was - a holdover from a long-since gone revolution. I thought the jealousy aspect was kinda boring though.

Honestly, the abrupt and weird ending makes me feel like there's some major catharsis I missed out on or something I should have done? I met the phasmid, saved as many people in the shoot-out as I could, couldn't find my gun and let Klaasja go. Did I gently caress up? Is the ending really that lame???

Like honestly I would 100% prefer "that kind of scene" to happen earlier in the game - maybe right befoer the boat trip - than the very end.

I'd say phasmid is the ending and final conversation is a sort of epilogue.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Perhaps a hamster posted:

Jesus. With those moralintern-blue backgrounds in a row like that I'm starting to think that the portrait analysis effort-post few pages back really might've been onto something there.

Yeah. He might be on to something here, their symbol is a blue forget-me-not

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

And there is also a coalition ship Archer always on standby to shell the enemies of capital. But how is this possible if they travel via airships that are thrown in precise trajectories? Come to think of it, how is her yacht possible?

Sekenr fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Nov 10, 2019

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

SexyBlindfold posted:

You can get him to tell you why he *thinks* he did it. Might want to double check with your bug pal, though.

Heavy spoilers: Phasmid's pheromones are a neurotoxin that makes people forget that they saw it. Prolonged exposure to Phasmid destroys your brain and they lived together for years. He formed an unhealthy obession to Klaasje (and Rene I guess) and wanted to punish her while also killing her lover

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

You're looking at this too clinically. The Pale's primary purpose is thematic. Disco Elysium's world is a decaying one that is falling apart and diminishing as its inhabitants dwell in an idealized past even as they suffer and moulder because of that past. The Union and Wild Pines is ultimately the past repeating itself, hence the premonitions that the ultimate result will be the city getting blown to poo poo again as the "new Communards" head up against the "new Fascists."

It's a story that's about the recursive nature of things, both political and emotional. Harry is consumed by his past even as he has had all notions of it wiped clean, but he can't avoid it, it's coming back to him. It takes shape in gum wrappers, the smell of apricots, in phone numbers stored in his muscle memory and the consequences of his past deeds. Just like Harry, the world is consistently trying to forget but coming into constant conflict with the past.

The Pale is that past catching up with us, it's what was destroying what is. It's age old enmity making modern cooperation impossible, it's a several year dead relationship poisoning the mind of a man who tried his hardest to forget. It's that first drink you took on the path to alcoholism. It's when the Coalition came to wipe away the revolutionaries seemingly destined to happen all over again.

There are two people you meet who are wholly consumed by the past, the Paledriver, and the Communist at the end, both of them are a stark contrast to Harry who is essentially a newborn with a genetic, instinctual memory of some life before, but almost entirely, purely existing in a world of now. They are people who purely exist, and are incapable, of escaping from the past. The Communist's entire identity crumbles when the one thing keeping him anchored to the modern world, love, lust, and the neurological effects of the phasmid, is severed. As soon as those passionate, immediate feelings are taken away, he is nothing.

The plot is based around people avoiding or being subsumed by their past. The Pale is that concept manifest. In order for the world of Elysium to work, people need to fall apart in that strange void for the benefit of others, there is no world that isn't built on the suffering of the past, there is no ignoring that world and there is no progress if you just live in that world. Harry tried to ignore it AND obsess over it. He's the two methods brought to a head, combined, they cancelled out and created nothingness, a being of pure and utter now.

Hence the phasmid, hence a creature that only lives in the now, only capable of perceiving a now. No wonder Harry saw it, no wonder Harry was the miracle, he created a freak accident of self annihilation that allowed him to see the world as a several meter tall insect would. Instinctual, no past, no future, just now. Seeing things for what they are, context removed, only living with the face value of things, and what you feel in the moment. No one else saw the phasmid until that moment because no one else shared its view of the world. Kim saw it because he had you, learned from you, as insane as it was. You, a being of utter insanity, are the one who set up the dance club. Harry is nothing but now, all the time. Super hardcore.

This is a profound take, thank you for posting this. My only playthrough so far was the sensitive cop, inland empire/shivers and that makes him in my opinion some sort of savant who is very in tune with the world, the world is in trouble and thus so is Harry. This makes the conversation with revacholaise more literal and less of a metaphor because he is the only one (that we meet at least) who is able to sense the coming doom and thus will either be a savior or a herald of that doom.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Encyclopedia, inland Empire, shivers, what else?

Esprit

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

What would you recommend after sensitive cop playthrough? Intelligent or physical? Or make my own artsy cop ?

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Sinner Sandwich posted:

So I've been playing this but keep bouncing off because of chronic restartitis and a pathological need to see as much content as possible.

Sensitive cop is apparently pretty good, but that 1 in INT is really putting me off. Is there any build you guys would recommend for seeing the most content, or alternatively for the most 'thematically appropriate' run?

Admittedly, the Shivers signature FYS build I'm doing right now isn't working out too badly, but my first conversation with Joyce bothered me with how easily she ran circles around me.

Dude, just roll with it. I mean sensitive cop. Not only drugs help with rolls you are not built for but there is also savescumming if you are desperate. I went with Sensitive cop first and am currently despaired because I feel like the game opened up its most beautiful things to me with this playthrough and there is nothing left to experience.

E: Shivers feels like flair until an epic moment which is OMG yes. Unlike many weaklings who reloaded monkey-fucker situation (you can later apologise , own up to your fuckup and learn something about your buddy)I went with it and the revacholese has an urgent thing to say about it. Not only does this thing produces a bit of perspective on Kim but I like to imagine perhaps to the *return* as well.

Sekenr fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Nov 23, 2019

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Aye Doc posted:

be a dirty thug cop. rough people up to get what you want. punch cuno. take bribes. threaten people to do what you want. punch cuno. let the corruption flow through you. definitely punch cuno.

Maybe revachol sovereignity? Cop superstar?
Kim, help me, I think, I'm becoming some sort of hyperstar I only say this options, didn't click it but it also awesome.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

“I would often go there. To the tiny church there. The smallest church in Saint-Saëns -- though it once was larger.

How the rill may rest there. Down through the mist there. Toward the seven sisters -- toward those pale cliffs there

I would often stay there. In there tiny yard there. I have been so glad here -- looking forward to the past here

But now you are alone. None of this matters at all.”

slow clap from Kim

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

behold, the duality of man

Eugh, you shaved :barf:

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I'm curious, is there more to the ominous red chair in a shack, where you also find the bowtie?

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Let me remind you of this thing, and of Kim's thing that you will only grasp if you fail the dance church situation

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Frankly, I still don't get why Revacholian Nationhood is such a fail and discouraged option. Bundled up with all the wömen options. Why? I couldnt bring myself to race theory and reloaded a bunch of times until defeated measurehead in combat but revachol forces you into hatefully hurt Kim, which is I don't know? I simply cannot find a good explanation

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Volumetric poo poo compressor :D

Jesus christ, Harry, you are a beast

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

TommyGun85 posted:

Has anyone read Sacred and Terrible Air?

Is it out on any language other than estonian?

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I chose premade sensitive cop, no regrets

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Iiiii willl often go there

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I just want to say this to people who still didn't play this. This game was even a therapeutic experience for me. If Harry (or Ambrosius) with his PROFOUND fuckups is such a goddamn hero, hope is not lost for me, I am OK.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

ThaumPenguin posted:

It's based on Soviet anti-radiation drugs

So if you can dig up any info on what those were like, you'd probably know

I tried Taren and while it won't let you sleep also makes you so confused and forgetful, there is no way you could run a shop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

They say it outright that anarchosts army is white color army and communards are black. Thus the white-black banner