Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I need to get this game and I haven't even heard of it before today lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Jesus Christ that person comes off as an insufferable rear end in a top hat.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

I tried to make a dull character but everything came out low key insane anyway, 10/10.

I think I'm about to talk myself into being racist against... myself?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

In most RPGs failing a skill check just means you're locked out of something you want in the game.

This is a game where failing and looking stupid to the other characters in the game is kind of just an organic part of the game design. Failure isn't necessarily bad and success can just be boring, so don't worry about it. Also your failures can just be funny as poo poo.

I save all the time but haven't reloaded for a bad outcome once, and I've botched all kinds of skill checks already.

Freaking Crumbum posted:

i got the body down the first morning with an extremely lucky motorics roll and i'm wondering how else you're able to do it on the first day?

I loved how shooting it down like some kind of redneck supercop actually works! It also earns you cool points with the dickhead kid.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Oct 16, 2019

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Basically everything is a one hit physical or psychological kill if you minimize the skills that affect mental and physical toughness, right?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

SelenicMartian posted:

You can take meds.

Yeah but I constantly fail at things and run out. :v:

Having 2 endurance instead of 1 really takes the edge off.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Nero Wolfe - 5/5/1/1

The essence of the brilliant but lazy detective, Wolfe mostly stays at home and leaves all the practical, hands-on work to proxies like his assistant Archie while he takes care of his orchids and eats huge gourmet meals. Other than sheer size he's not physically impressive and he essentially does no practical work at all. He is a master of solving cases by pure reason and logic, then manipulating the guilty party into either confession or outright loving suicide.

Signature Skill: Logic, including the intellectual vanity-related downsides. With an extremely large side of Suggestion.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

an actual dog posted:

This is idiotic and boils down to not having big flashing "this is bad" on screen when people do bad things, unfairly comparing it to the greatest authors of our time, and their own baggage with leftism.

an actual dog posted:

And tbh the game is not subtitle about what it thinks are good and bad things so lmao

"Depiction is endorsement" is the ultimate crutch of the hack critic.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Stuck in a loving airport instead of playing this game, 0/10, wanna be scrounging bottles for rent money and arguing with myself while dressed like a maniac.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

:hmmyes:

I had a crummy % chance and tried it anyway and had a good :laugh: when it worked.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

8-bit Miniboss posted:

You can also hold onto earned skill points that you can then apply mid-dialogue if you want to have an easier time passing a skill check. There was a point in the game where I wasn't sure where I wanted to use my points and happened to realize that while the inventory is disabled during dialog, the character sheet isn't. :frogbon:

Really? That loving rules.

Failed a skill check and one of the "suggestions" from the failed skill talking to me was to pantomime playing a fiddle and saying YOU ARE BEING PLAYED LIKE A FIDDLE LOL. :getin:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Can anybody tell me where to find the the third location to check where the (barely a spoiler) shot came from?

I checked the two named locations in the journal and the last one listed just says "check island" :confused:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Finished first playthrough as a 4/2/2/4, took 28 hours, game owns. Next time I think I need to be a supernatural supercop, feel like I'm missing a whole side of the game there.

Is there any resolution to the confrontation with the mercs that doesn't result in multiple deaths?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Has anyone played a supernatural obsessed wierdo with no traditional detective skills? I think I'm going to do that next.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

I think I could do a pretty good Peter Venkman simulation with this game come to think of it.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Trying to spec out Dr Peter Venkman in DE. :ghost:

Intellect - Drama is basically the skill for lying, and Venkman has more than a little bit of huckster in him. Encyclopedia was more for Ray and Egon. Probably decent Logic but not really in the master detective sense. The others don't really seem applicable. 3
Psyche - Everything but Authority and Esprit de Corps seem applicable. Con man archetype with a PhD in Psychology (Empathy, Suggestion) and Parapsychology (Inland Empire), plus the Volition not to freeze or spaz when Gozer showed up (unlike poor Egon and Ray, again.) 5
Physique - I'd basically drop this to 1 in a heartbeat... if it wasn't for needing some Electrochemistry (he brought 300 CCs of Thorazine with him to a date....) and Shivers. 2
Motorics - Maybe some Reaction Speed for the street smarts/quick mental reactions aspect, but the rest don't really seem to fit here either. Savoir-Faire is too douchey, Composure is too stuck up, Interfacing isn't his thing, and H/E is too much about real gun stuff, not proton packs. 2

3/5/2/2, or even 4/5/2/1, though the latter might make him too much of an outright klutz. Signature skill would probably be Suggestion at first glance, but I'd almost be tempted to make it Shivers to raise the cap on it and Electrochemistry.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Megazver posted:

Looking through the old devlogs:

lol

“Kentucky Route Zero” is a name I haven't heard in forever. It's been almost 7 years since they started and it's not even done yet?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Broken Cog posted:

You can't talk to it if you don't have high enough Inland Empire.

The threshold is pretty low though, I deliberately made a boring down-to-earth Actual Detective with no points in spooky skills and was able to talk to the phasmid

Maybe helping the cryptozoologist as much as possible lowers the skill threshold you need to do it?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

chaosapiant posted:

Age of Decadence might be ok, Outer Worlds is just gonna have to wait until I've sobered up from this game. Disco is not a success to Planescape; it blows it out of the water.

Not having crummy combat is a huge plus for this kind of game.

I like The Outer Worlds but it really is New Vegas Lite: Pretty and Stable Edition and not a game-changer mind blowing RPG, so play it on game pass whenever and maybe get the Mega Deluxe edition on Steam next year if they add a lot of DLC and core improvements like they did to POE/POE2.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

I went from DE and OW fine, because I wanted a game with some action as a change of pace, and DE has none at all.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Dumb mechanics question: if you're at the cap for a skill (you've spent all the points on it you can based on the relevant attribute), and you then internalize a thought that gives a bonus to that skill, do you still gain the bonus, or does it do nothing?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

I did find one minor annoying thing involving the boots.

So I tried to remove the boots from the body when it was still hanging, and Kim talked me out of it. Then we get the body down and put it in the bear fridge, and I send Kim off for the night so I can go back and get them. Only there is no option to remove them. In fact, the objective to get the boots didn't appear in my quest log until I gave up and had Kim take in the body the next day!

I don't get it, is this just a bug or is there some other prompt that I missed? :confused:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Songbearer posted:

All good things come to an end

Fortunately you can replay it

I made the mistake of starting Outer Worlds post DE and now it feels hollow

Playing OW after DE didn't make me miss DE, it made me miss Fallout: New Vegas.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Xander77 posted:

Yeah, but shooting at children is fine, apparently.

Also punching.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Palpek posted:

The tag already got uploaded:

I'll just ring it up for anybody who quotes this post in the next day or so.

It being applied to an account depends on admin reaction time though (or you can buy an av with it added in img tags in the text field if you don't want to wait).

Hell yes :getin:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Avalerion posted:

But Kim might disapprove. :ohdear:

You can be surprisingly wacky and still be bros with Kim. My latest run was basically smartass Inland Empire Shiversman after being a boring cop first and we're still good. ACES HIGH :respek:

e: I guess it changed a little since I didn't get the option to hit him with ACES LOW after ACES HIGH in my crazier play though like I did with my :geno: one, but it still worked out overall.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Nov 5, 2019

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Wrapping up my 2nd playthrough (3/5/2/2 apoc superstar with shitloads of Inland Empire and Shivers) and it wasn't HUGELY different from my 4/2/2/4 boring sorry commie cop first run, but a bunch of small things turned out differently and it was still engaging as hell.

The atmosphere in this game is just fan-loving-tastic, my only regrets are not getting the armor boots AGAIN because I accidentally clicked past something even though I got the body into the bear fridge and then had Kim leave, and not doing the thing with the tie that I heard exists but never figured out.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Yeah, if I have one beef with DE it's that the nuts and bolts of getting around some areas is just irritating, ESPECIALLY the docks.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Rookoo posted:

Has an expansion been commented on/confirmed by the devs?

Pretty sure they said they want to do both an expansion and a sequel but as far as I know nothing is confirmed.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Goddamnit, I lost my Hobocops tag with this new AV. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Mr. Lobe posted:

embrace failure

This is not a joke, failures can advance the story as well (or better than) successes sometimes.

This is really a game where you mostly want to roll with whatever happens.