Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Boris Galerkin posted:

Something that you, and most people, can do right now is to stop eating meat. That alone is probably the biggest most impactful thing any of us without money or power can do.

Stopping is maybe asking too much though for most people, so the next best thing is to eat less meat.

The next best thing is 'stop eating beef', because beef ranching is worse that almost all other human agriculture combined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

That's some powerful leadership right there.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

cargo cult posted:

why has no one tried a five star movement welfare for whites type gimmick in america? i wonder if josh hawley will

That's kinda what Trump was pretending he was, but ultimately the sort of person who buys into that kind of thing doesn't actually care about their life getting better, as long as other people have it worse.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Reminder that you can put posters on ignore if you don't want to engage them them.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

drilldo squirt posted:

Can someone explain why this one thing mattered when everything else didn't?

Well, he was targetting Biden so dems felt obliged to jump in now. He also badly exacerbated the problem with the released transcript.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
https://twitter.com/ndrew_lawrence/status/1177017432390668293?s=21

FOX FIGHT

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Please remember as hearings and such happen that this isn't a TVIV livestream thread. Not everyone is or can watch the news all day, so remember to add context to your posts.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Yeah I filed to get that thing removed cause I'm tired of looking at it.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Rectal Death Adept posted:

Lol at this probe.

It's true. Nobody really gave a poo poo about Russia because foreign governments have been interfering in our elections for centuries. The people most worried about it were the ones that wanted it to be bad for Donald Trump.

Nobody really gives a poo poo about our NATIONAL SECURITY and it's integrity when we deny aid money to the Ukraine. If they did the people trying to talk about Joe Biden doing the exact same thing even closer to the Crimea conflict wouldn't be ran out of this thread or also probated.

It's okay to be hypocrites that just want something to be bad for Donald Trump but at least be honest about it. It's extremely weird for a leftist forum to now pretend to care about national security harder than the warhawkinist conservatives because Donald Trump threatened it.

I don't think it will matter to the 30 people this offends or the mod that probates me but I extremely agree with all of you that we should investigate every molecule of this situation. Subpoena everything and drag everyone in front of the House. Approve impeachment in the house and let the senate shoot itself in the foot. The problem comes when I want all the criminal actions addressed because you guys can't handle attention being taken away from Trump because you hate him the most and don't actually care about the law or fixing these problems, just hurting him personally.

You're reading a whole lot into a shitpost by a white supremacist, my dude. I think hardly anyone here is genuinely concerned by the national security implications of Trump's idiocy, or is going out of their way to defend Biden. You're jerking off and pretending you're making a principled stand against the thread hivemind.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

VH4Ever posted:

So The Mattering may actually be upon us. My question: what fucks this up? Because this rear end in a top hat should have been impeached a dozen scandals ago at least. What will make this one stick?

The democrats are actually doing something important and material this time.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Multiple people need to be posting better.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

mcmagic posted:

This is the most bad faith of bad faith defenses. You can't do better than this?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ya'll can keep discussing the topic but post better than this.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Government officials using their offices to enrich themselves is directly related to any complete impeachment proceedings, because many of Trump's crimes are using his office to enrich himself.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Xombie posted:

Again: the enoulments clause doesn't apply to one's non-public-employee family. The family of politicians do not get automatically banned from making money.

It's still unethical for a politician to use insider influence and knowledge to enrich their family. It's not as cut-and-dry, but we shouldn't pretend it's not an issue worth discussing. Like Kushner has been blatantly using Trump's influence to enrich himself the entire administration.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

theflyingorc posted:

It doesn't change the fact that the thing that Trump, specifically, is talking about is insane crazy bonkers.

I want Biden to lose as much as the next guy but holy poo poo, it was a single Ukranian company. Yes, it's a problem that rich people just get to jump around from board to board, collecting money for doing nothing. But talking about it right now is letting the dumbest man in the whole world just lead you by the nose.

Discussing an issue in the Debate and Discussion forum of Something Awful dot com is not going to harm the discourse.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Aspergeoisie posted:

Trump was exonerated by Mueller. Read the report.

Wrong. Stop shitposting.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Xombie posted:

Once again, it literally is not. It is favoritism to someone based on being your own relatives

OK will you grant that it is a non-nepotistic form for corruption then?

theflyingorc posted:

Wait, is every person who hires one of their children at their company corrupt?

Yes?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Biden's crimes, should it turn out anything actionable exists or may exist, are relevant to this thread. If it's just 'Biden is a bad dude who sucks' then that's more primary thread stuff.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Hey, PPJ asked everyone to stop debating the definition of nepotism in this thread. I'mma start enforcing that so cut it out.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
For the love of god someone post some news.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Does anyone remember back to the distant past, when Trump touched the Orb?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Zotix posted:

Anyone else feel like Moscow Mitch sees the writing on the table at this point and almost wants to get the impeachment over so that if need be they can get an actual strong Republican candidate on the ticket instead of those that are primarying Trump right now. With Mitch allowing schumers resolution to go through last week with no objection, and then today saying he'd allow an impeachment trial to commence without objection. It almost is as if he knows this info is pretty damning and he's all for getting Trump out, letting whomever takeover for 12 months(Pence or Pelosi) and then getting a real RNC backed candidate up front and center to rival the Dems starting at the beginning of the year.

Absolutely not. A third of the republicans in the senate voting to remove Trump from office would cause an irreparable schism.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Prester and the people arguing with her, please go to her thread. The last thing we need in here is a debate on the theories and predictions of Prester T Jane.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
As an idiot king, stop

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Bernie ad buys and dropping out discussion definately goes in the primary thread.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Once again, reminder that this isn't a TVIV thread and you need to be including context in your posts.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

This is my reading too. She's probably not just not thinking the entire comparison through; it sounds more insensitive than malicious. It's an odd comparison for sure but I don't think we ever had Hillary pegged as entirely sensitive and compassionate anyway.

It reads as 'old lady tries and fails to be woke'.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Youre loving kidding

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Shifty Pony posted:

Can I emptyquote this because goddamn you've got to be loving kidding.

I'm pro-emptyquoting and won't probate people for doing it unless they're emptyquoting like a giant wall of text in full, but I can't speak for the mods.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

marshmonkey posted:

What are the odds that Russia helped plant this conspiracy theory in Trump's brain?

Trump doesn't need assistance to come up with insane bullshit

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
https://twitter.com/HillaryClinton/status/1180127236957052930 hillary... is right?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Parliamentary systems have the problem of overrepresenting fringe nutters like UKIP and the DUP.

As opposed to fringe nutters, like the Republican party

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
The gambling markets for the democratic primary are not a topic for this thread.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

evilweasel posted:

i mean obviously it's a slippery slope to arguing the warren/biden/bernie odds converting to primarychat, but i think "lol predictit thinks that hillary clinton + yang have an 18% chance to win the nomination" is pretty on point about "why you probably shouldn't use predictit's numbers about trump's re-election as gospel" and trump's likelihood of re-election is pretty on point

Yeah I understood why there were brought up, but I don't want the to become a topic in and of themselves.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
To be perfectly clear here, the following topics are directly US Politics but have been relegated to their own threads for various reasons:
---The democratic presidential primaries
-------Topics for this thread: the candidates themselves when they appear in the news in contexts outside of the horse race & debate and discussion of policies that may or may not be endorsed by various candidates
-------Topics for the primary thread: horserace topics (polling, markets, punditry) & campaigning for a particular candidate

---The ethics of protest voting and electorialism
------Topics for this thread: why the democrats are bad & why the democrats are good
------Topics for the protest voting thread: why you should or should not vote for democrats that are bad

This isn't always easy to seperate but this is what we're trying to work with.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Prester Jane posted:

All Russia has done is pour fuel on the fire that America built. Russia didn't cause these problems, we did. All Russia's done is exploit and inflamed are internal tensions for the benefit of their own agenda.

Russia didn't cause this situation, they intelligently exploited it. If you really want something to blame then start with the Southern Strategy. If you want a person to blame then Barry Goldwater is the father of modern (completely insane) conservativism.

Yeah it's this. Pretending that our own cultural failings are the result of outsider propaganda is actively detrimental to making efforts to fix them, and reinforces toxic American exceptionalism and imperialism.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

mod sassinator posted:

You can build the best wizard of oz fantasyland you want, but if outside actors are attacking it with disinformation campaigns it will fall apart. We're both on the same page that poo poo is hosed--it's just a matter of arguing over whether we should stop the attackers first or rebuild first.

No, they can only exploit what's already there. Russia didn't cause slavery and Jim Crow and the brutal suppression of the civil rights movement. Russia didn't cause the United States to destabilize large swathes of the world in the name of empire. Russia didn't cause us to warp our economic system to be so exploitative as to risk total collapse.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

mod sassinator posted:

You're not helping with backhanded bullshit. Grow up, if you're trying to paint everyone here as racist for not wanting to deep dive into polemics about the history of race and power... that's your issue to sort out. There are comfortable (and uncomfortable!) white liberals who want to help and see this poo poo end, even after Russian or other interference is stopped. Arguing and raging against them is just amplifying the divisions.

If you're blaming Russia for 'amplifying racism' you're not actually interested in solutions. You're interested in deflecting blame so you don't have to address the real problems.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

1glitch0 posted:

lol

I love the "you can talk about if democrats are good or bad", but you cannot talk about if you should not vote for them. That's some real silly authoritarian poo poo for an obscure comedy forum.

Like yeah, if someone posts the pic with the guy showing his gaping rear end in a top hat, step in. Otherwise, calm the gently caress down.

You know there's an entire forum for politics shitposting, right? It's pretty good. It's also not what D&D is for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

CHEF!!! posted:

1. Some people aren't particularly bright. Superfluous usage of "like," even in text, is a good sign of this.
2. Some people just love to be offended / indignant
3. A combination thereof.

What the gently caress is this.