Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sub Par
Jul 18, 2001

Dinosaur Gum
It seems significant to me that none of the GOP Members of Congress who have read the whistleblower report have gone to the media with "lol it's a nothingburger" takes yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sub Par
Jul 18, 2001

Dinosaur Gum

Zophar posted:

There's just no way to credibly claim there's nothing there when the President literally does the crime in a clearly obvious way.

But up until the full report came out, they were doing exactly that.

Sub Par
Jul 18, 2001

Dinosaur Gum
USPOL Fall: summiting the Matterhorn

Sub Par
Jul 18, 2001

Dinosaur Gum

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

The active cover up is new.

Which is hilarious because there was some Jackass from The Federalist gaslighting on Morning Edition not one hour ago about how "well it may be bad but he's being transparent and there's no cover up so *shrug*".

Another BS talking point obliterated in record time.

Sub Par
Jul 18, 2001

Dinosaur Gum

ManBoyChef posted:

hurd is the only republican that wasnt grandstanding for fox news. they really all just want a soundbite to give chuds the cover to disregard reality

He's already announced he's not running. He has no incentive to grandstand.

Sub Par
Jul 18, 2001

Dinosaur Gum

Zedlic posted:

If you want a slightly softer way to "delete" Facebook, just unfollow everything. I wanted to keep my presence on Facebook for events and such, but was hating it more and more so I just unfollowed every single person or page or group. My news feed is just an error now. And without the cocaine of the News Feed I instantly stopped wasting time on it. My general mood has improved significantly.

I second this. Deleted the app from my phone, unfollowed everything and everyone, and use FB once a week or so to check for poo poo like events from my running group and whatnot. There is no reason whatsoever for me to open up the site now. It was life-changing and freeing.

Sub Par
Jul 18, 2001

Dinosaur Gum

Mr Interweb posted:

https://twitter.com/WSJopinion/status/1187356909302628353

stupid twitter won't let you see the ratio, but it's currently at 99 likes to 1.3k replies :lol:

edit: wait, you can see the ratio when you embed it, but not when you click on the tweet itself? wow

Such a terrible idea, not even well reasoned, ultra short, and doesn't deal with the moral hazard of a party purposefully impeaching and acquitting a president of their own party for political advantage. How is this guy a paid "fellow" anywhere??

Sub Par
Jul 18, 2001

Dinosaur Gum
The 2nd Circuit upheld the subpoena for Trump's accounting firm to provide his tax records to a New York grand jury. The opinion really obliterates Trump's arguments. He has 10 days to appeal to SCOTUS which he will certainly do. I know I'm probably in the minority here on this question but I think SCOTUS will issue a per curiam decision here quickly upholding the 2nd circuit's ruling or simply deny cert. Here's hoping.

Sub Par
Jul 18, 2001

Dinosaur Gum

Xaiter posted:

Ugh, I forgot they can do this.

"We can rule anyway we like, no one is allowed to inspect the reasoning applied."

We either need an amendment that straight up says the SCOTUS can't do this or all parties voting in favor of the "non-precident precident" are required to resign effective immediately.

I wonder how many of those absurd rulings they can down before the country declares them illegitimate and demands they're all thrown out. I suspect quite a few, given how little attention the average American pays to the SCOTUS.

I don't worry about this because there is precedent that's almost exactly on point here. This isn't a Bush/Gore exceptional situation. Presidents have been investigated, subpoenaed, and deposed before and The Court has ruled in all of these areas. This isn't new poo poo, Trump's team is simply abusing the appeals process as a delay tactic. They are not advancing serious arguments.

Sub Par
Jul 18, 2001

Dinosaur Gum

SalTheBard posted:

Yeah agreed. Paseo was such a bad street to select.

Can someone who is from KC explain why? Is it just because it's a street name that people liked?

Sub Par
Jul 18, 2001

Dinosaur Gum

Party Plane Jones posted:

it's the first street in the city, apparently

I see. So it's "sure, name whatever street you want after MLK. Except important ones."

Sub Par
Jul 18, 2001

Dinosaur Gum
They're doing it because Trump is more popular in their districts/states than they are.

Mulvaney is just an arrogant prick.

Sub Par
Jul 18, 2001

Dinosaur Gum

Prester Jane posted:

1.) I was responding to a request to find a single instance of this happening in the last three years. It took me less than 20 seconds to find a news story from a major publication about just such an incident. I've already conceded that the practice isn't as widespread as I originally thought, but that doesn't change the fact that social media prescence/identity is rapidly evolving into another gatekeeping tool being used to keep undesirables from having access to employment/society.

I'm pretty sure the request was "find me an instance in the last 3 years of a potential employer asking for your social media passwords, not simply asking to look at your social media. Maybe I'm misunderstanding.

Sub Par
Jul 18, 2001

Dinosaur Gum

tokyo reject posted:

Is it seriously a new purity test to not chuckle at a clever play on words, even if it comes from a ghoul?

Like, as a Bernie fanatic, DSA meeting attending, phone banking, life long service industry working, person who has lasting medical problems because I couldn't access healthcare leftist, I'll vote Warren if that's the hand we're dealt here as the Dem nom.

It was a funny jab. It's OK to chuckle at something for a few seconds before snapping back to reality. jfc
When the clever turn of phrase is....... racism? Nah, it's not ok.

Sub Par
Jul 18, 2001

Dinosaur Gum

oxsnard posted:

did we get the ruling on the subpoenas?

Came here hoping to see this at the tail end of a long work day. Really hoping this drops soon.

Sub Par
Jul 18, 2001

Dinosaur Gum

mdemone posted:

Which judge is ruling on McGahn?

Ketanji Brown Jackson, an Obama nominee.

Sub Par
Jul 18, 2001

Dinosaur Gum

Ague Proof posted:

He said as much.
This oft-referenced quote is taken out of context. The full sentence is "I am new enough on the national political scene that I serve as a blank screen on which people of vastly different political stripes project their own views." The context there is important, it is because he is new, not because being a "blank screen" was something he was attempting to be.

That said, Obama bad.

Sub Par
Jul 18, 2001

Dinosaur Gum
This poo poo is horrifying:

Sub Par
Jul 18, 2001

Dinosaur Gum
I'm not sure what kind of evidence could exist to answer whether disenfranchisement or apathy is more responsible for low turnout. I went googling for some and instead found this excellent interview about both, by a Harvard history professor.

There's a lot of good history and context in here, but he seems to argue that apathy predominates and that apathy is an outcome of strategic choices made by both parties, but especially the Democratic party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sub Par
Jul 18, 2001

Dinosaur Gum

SKULL.GIF posted:

Boy that government funding is really helping mitigate the situation at these camps

I mean, he died in May and the funding was passed at the end of June. His death was in fact one of the catalysts behind getting the funding passed as pointed out in the ProPublica piece.

I'm not here to stan for Pelosi and child death camps but "funding didn't fix things because this kid died" isn't what this story is about.