Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

CuddleCryptid posted:

Pretty sure the nationbattleground states have not stopped being racist as poo poo

I mean, the nation too. But the nation doesn't really matter in presidential elections.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Facts to chuds are like light to cockroaches: both make them scurry back into the dark holes that they crawled out of.

Meh, mostly they just ignore them and claim that no, actually it's dark. Facts are like organic "natural" insect repellent to cockroaches.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Sleepy Carson is on "on point" dragging on "the transgenders" and blaming homeless women for his transphobia in the lead-up to claiming that deregulation and defunding shelters is the solution to homelessness.

Might be worth a listen if you hate your hair and sanity.

Streaming on HPR (warning, it's fundraising week)

E: The host "appreciated" Ben saying that the solutions need to be about the people rather than politics, so about as unnecessarily friendly as you'd expect from NPR.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Sep 26, 2019

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

I think the question is "can the Senate just not hold an impeachment trial at all?" The answer is: it's never been tried before and would (rightfully) be seen as a dereliction of constitutional duty, but it's unlikely that the Supreme Court would step in to force McConnell to hold a timely trial.

You might notice that McConnell is most famous for dereliction of constitutional duty.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

mod sassinator posted:

Oh yeah I'm right there with you--I actually sat down and tried to think, who are my male role models as a man in 2019.

Terry Tao is cool as heck, and is no chud.

That said, celebrity "heroes" and "role models" are more the imagined virtues we ascribe to them than the real people themselves, which is why we're so often disappointed when we learn more about them. Our actual role models are people from our own lives.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Sep 27, 2019

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

eke out posted:

i think he needs to convince more than one person to get 2/3 of the senate to back him on the 25th

Well, two people then.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Ogmius815 posted:

I mean, should she be happy that this horrible traumatic thing is happening? She’s doing her duty to defend the constitution. What more you want?

This "horrible traumatic" impeachment is loving cake compared the horrible trauma Trump's been inflicting. So yes, she should be loving ecstatic. Or at the minimum, dispassionately professional.

E: Seriously, what is wrong with you?

Stickman fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Sep 29, 2019

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

I love how much we Americans overestimate the size of the statue of liberty. Probably some symbolism in that.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

almost like the founding fathers were dumb and instituted a system worse than the one they rebelled against.

I mean, they rebelled specifically so they could keep doing genocide and slavery. :shrug:

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

nine-gear crow posted:

I'd also hazard a guess that John McCain dying really hosed him up too. Say what you will about either of them, but the one genuine thing about either of them was their friendship and grief has an incredibly transformative effect on people.

While that may be true, Graham's ascent up Trump rear end happened extremely quickly almost a year before McCain's death (somewhere between August and October 2017). I suppose it was after McCain's diagnosis, but there's got to be something else to it or he would have at least waited until McCain couldn't see his fall.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Oracle posted:

Holy poo poo this is bad. Read this right now. Seriously. Now. Listen. This has to be some kind of conspiracy charge or something. Telling people to destroy evidence and lie.

My understanding is that lawmakers can pass whatever laws they'd like without personal consequences. If those laws violate existing law or constitutional rights, then the laws are struck down and the lovely lawmakers are free to try again. Unfortunately, that means there can't be a criminal conspiracy to pass districts violating the Voter Rights Act, because it's not actually a criminal offense to violate the Voter Rights Act via legislation. Pretty much the embodiment of our country's "it's just Politics!" attitude.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Shifty Pony posted:

These redistricting speakers straight up said that the lawmakers' noted from the conference would certainly be sought and told them to destroy them.

I'm not a lawyer who specializes in such things but isn't destruction of evidence which you know will be material to future litigation kinda super bad?

Only if there's a law that requires them the retain the documents. My guess is that there isn't for internal GOP proceedings, but I'm not sure?

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

What if your offense was shoplifting and there’s no way you’re going to stop shoplifting?

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

According to this Medium article, Trump's centaur posture isn't just because he's obese and never learned proper posture, it's because he's so sensitive about his height that he wears lift heels. Apparently two inches is more important than not killing your back while looking like a weirdo.

E: Basically it's his hair, but his feet.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

skeleton warrior posted:

Is there absolutely any evidence that the witness was murdered by police other than ACAB?

Despite what TV and movies like to tell us, murders are almost never random acts of violence. Doubly so outside of mass events. Unless there's some other motivation for this murder, it would exceptionally weird for it not to be related.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

1glitch0 posted:

I... why would... I've been broken for a long time so hellworld has come back around to be hilarious to me. I don't have facebook, but I assume this was a poor doggy, and then that terrible happened to him, and then Paws and Claws just posted it on their facebook page!? The last part is what kinda fractured my brain. I know humans are lovely and abuse doggies. But I wonder how Paws and Claws could think putting that on their facebook page would be in anyway helpful to anyone on the planet. Like what is my response supposed to be to that? Do they just want to share? Do they want a donation so the next dog shot in the head and dragged behind a car and thrown on their doorway can be put out of its misery? Good loving lord.

The point is that they rescued the dog. I'm sure they'd love donors to help them rescue other dogs in similar situations, folks willing to adopt rescue dogs, and people willing to support stronger anti-abuse laws.

E: Not sure how your take-away was "Paw and Claws kills rescue dogs" when the whole story was "we managed to rescue this dog that was basically murdered".

Stickman fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Oct 7, 2019

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Guze posted:

They also said they're going to "correct demographics" so they're openly saying they're going to do genocide

The open part of their plan is to resettle 2 million of Turkey's Arab Syrian refugees into the Kurdish region. This still falls under the definition of genocide even if it isn't accompanied by mass murder and oppression, which is extremely unlikely.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Pellisworth posted:

I'm not super familiar with the status of the Syrian Kurds, maybe this would be a better question for the ME thread but:

Does Turkey just want to crush the Kurdish militias? They don't want the land, do they? They want to kill off the militias to prevent Turkish Kurds from getting any ideas about independence.

Not just militias, they want to smash the Kurdish people. Turkey has a long history of oppressing and massacring Kurds within their borders. That's why they want to ensure that they're a minority in the region.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Willo567 posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/LindseyGrahamSC/status/1181353199485227008
https://mobile.twitter.com/LindseyGrahamSC/status/1181353203465633792

Graham's back to licking Trumps poo poo stained boots

Also, loving lmao at him using the Washington Post as his source - when he was bitching about it last week

So in general, how much lying about legal rights/proceedings for personal gain does one have to do before states seriously consider disbarment? I feel like Graham’s been skating awfully close to the edge these last few months.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

evilweasel posted:

it appears to be whining that they're not getting due process

unfortunately for them (a) congress has absolute power to handle impeachment however it drat well wants; (b) nobody ever has a right to "due process" at the indictment stage, grand juries are secret. they're whining they don't get full trial rights at the investigation stage which is nonsense for morons.

They're whining about full criminal trial rights in the investigation stage of non-criminal proceedings, which is even worse. Of course someone still needs to step up and exercise some authority.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Ogmius815 posted:

It’s a very common practice for newspapers to publish opinion pieces by foreign officials like this. Happens all the time. There’s no reason to freak out about it once you remember that opinion pieces are not really curated for content in the way you want, and they aren’t meant to reflect the opinion of the publisher or the newspaper staff.

gently caress you, you weirdo. Yes, newspapers are responsible for the content of the “Opinions” section when they give a platform to pure propaganda (this includes US officials). It’s a terrible practice and deserves to be called out. Doing it “all the time” is no excuse for publishing lies without direct analytic annotation.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

evilweasel posted:

the post publishing opinion articles from actual world leaders seems somewhat useful such that you can at least see directly what they're trying to sell and they're putting it under the name of the actual person spouting it

giving regular trump sycophants daily columns to spout barely-literate propaganda that tows whatever talking points were most recently released laundered through a regular columnist, on the other hand, there's nothing to be gained there

I still wouldn’t do it without analysis, at least not in the middle of a crisis. If that means you don’t get a statement, we’ll no great loss - world leaders push out enough propaganda that you could put together an article on what they’re selling without giving them a direct platform to hock it.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Furnaceface posted:

I say give him a few more weeks of admitting crimes on TV first.

Just put a live feed and reporter in his cell.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

I can't imagine even Rudy would get caught by something so obviously dumb. I'm sure the tickets were purchased in advance after a phone call or something.

I would be completely unsurprised if the ticket purchases were back-dated in sharpie.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

evilweasel posted:

the key difference between wapo and the NYT is the wapo does a much better job of keeping the republican propaganda they print on the opinion page, while the NYT just up and prints brazen republican propaganda as news on the front page for balance every so often

Except for Boot and Kessler. gently caress Boot and Kessler.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

bowser posted:

https://twitter.com/JAllen_NY/status/1182397981531758592

I'm sure the DNC won't try and tip the scales in his favor...

Of course not! He's trying to primary a sitting representative, so he'll be blacklisted from vendors and support and ..... nope, can't say it with a straight face :cripes:

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

That's not really a new rationale - they've been saying that for a while. They want to flood the region with 2 million Arab refugees to overwhelm the Kurdish population. That's part of what they mean be "fixing the demographics of the region". You might also recognize it as an age-old genocidal technique (see Crimea, Ireland, America, etc.)

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

I guarantee you that a good portion of every local government is "local businesspeople" pissed off about whatever minor regulations/taxes they had to comply with. Probably looking to wield them against competitors, too.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Republicans posted:

I think he just needs a hug.

From a table vise?

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

PhazonLink posted:

lol remember when a cop also was called in by one of those life alert services and also shot the old person.

(99.99999% the person was also nonwhite)

That would be Kenneth Chamberlain Sr.

E: No charges were ever filed, the police internal review deemed the shooting "justified" because "negotiations and ... all non-lethal means were unsuccessful," and the family's civil suit failed.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Oct 13, 2019

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Shifty Pony posted:

That's some seriously unsupportable optimism there putting three digits in.

Hell, you can make it "police shootings of black people without guns" and almost never need the second digit:

"Police shooting of unarmed black people" won't need that second digit ~a quarter to half the time:

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Mr Interweb posted:

Wait, this guy's the governor of oklahoma? What's the catch?

Whitewashing a history of genocide and celebrating Native Americans "planting churches".

E: But surely when he says "Our state’s indigenous people were the first to build businesses and roads for transportation" he means "for thousands of years before European settlers showed up".

EE: Stitt is Cherokee, so I'm probably wrong here!

Stickman fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Oct 15, 2019

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

kitten smoothie posted:

It's unconstitutional, and I cite the case law of "because I think so" to back this up.

TBF, that's a lot of case law!

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

I'm definitely going to trust the "pocketbook model", "stock market model", and "unemployment model" to accurately predict that Minnesota is going to swing Trump in 2020.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

TyrantWD posted:

Minnesota is not the liberal bastion people think it is. It stays liberal, but just barely. Hillary won the state by 1.5%, so if Trump flips a state in 2020, that will be the one. Virginia going red on the other hand, as their model predicts, is just absurd. It has not only flipped blue, but is trending bluer.

The salient part of my criticism is that they're using three single-issue models (pocketbook, stock market, and unemployment) that are clearly not applicable to a Trump election after 2018 broke from their historical performance. None of those inadequate models are a good reason to believe that Trump will do better in Minnesota in 2020 than he did in 2016, and publishing them without massive disclaimers is a waste of everyone's time (although I guess scaring people into coming out against Trump is useful).

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

beejay posted:

Remember that "IED exploded on a playground" story that got posted here yesterday?

It wasn't an IED, and it didn't explode. It was a water bottle with some nuts and bolts in it that a homeless man collected.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/15/us/b...trnd/index.html

Can we perhaps stop posting sensationalist "breaking news" before it's verified? A few days ago we had a "mass shooting" posted here and in short order it was found that there was no shooting, not even a gun. When there is a shooting, people always post the bullshit about "multiple shooters" that always turns out to be false.

Please think before you post stuff, you don't win anything for being first.

If the news gets something wrong, then we talk about how it was wrong. It's going to happen occasionally and there's no amount of "wait for x days/week/alternative news sources" or "think about your posts", that's going to stop the occasional misleading or incorrect news story (especially breaking news). I'm not seeing how that's enough of a problem that it should preclude talking about breaking news at all.

beejay posted:

What the gently caress are you doing

That's sarcasm.

E: Oh jeez, I guess that's why you don't post sarcasm on the interwebs.

JW Weatherman's dog tax:

Stickman fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Oct 16, 2019

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

I assume that's because they knew an intelligence probe would be useless :downsrim:

E: Super psyched for Mr. Mayor to go down in flames.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Squalid posted:

gonna have to spell this one out for me

also there were lots of Democrats like Bernie Sanders who were screaming about all the bloody murders that would inevitably follow a direct intervention. But maybe you preferred Hillary's positions on middle east conflicts. Not that Obama was especially eager to get into a more direct intervention.

So your position is that we should have just left the Syrian Kurds to their own devices in the first place?

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Voter suppression mastermind-extraordinaire Kasich worrying over the integrity of elections is pretty loving rich.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

He must have overseen tons of gerrymandering as Governor right?

He more or less wrote the current voter suppression handbook. E: +purges

haveblue posted:

Are you thinking of Kobach?

He's bad as well, but Kasich was also absolutely terrible.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Oct 18, 2019