Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Ice Phisherman posted:

It'll vindicate the #resistance crowd.

It was the Russians all along!

That lovely loving narrative that the neolibs play right into.

Also I'm not 100% sure on this, but being impeached and removed from office doesn't preclude someone from running again.

The comedy option is if this runs past the primaries and a few of those states that removed anyone but Trump from said primaries, Pence runs and the vote is split between votes for Trump and write-ins for Pence.

As part of the impeachment process, the official can additionally be barred from office when found guilty by the Senate.

Should have known better than to gently caress with the great Centrist Hope, Joe Biden though. Crimes, ethics, and decorum are one thing, but upsetting the apple cart of safe power grabbing and now Pelosi and the gang have reason to care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Which has me worried and hoping that Trump is just too stupid to realize how bad it makes him look.

There's so many layers of dumb it's hard to tell which is the actually prevailing one. However, most likely he thinks that this whole thing is just about the whistle blower thing. They forced his hand, so here's your dumb report. History has been that nothing will happen to him, so he doesn't actually think anything will happen. He thinks that now this whole thing will go away, or at the very least result in just another

The thing is that, while this particular thing is what finally caused the cowards in the leadership to pull the trigger, it's hardly the only or even the most egregious impeachable thing Donny's done. Now that the inquiry is on, the best possible outcome is that Pelosi slow walks this thing past the point of reason and it becomes month 11 of Impeachment. Which is actually slightly less likely than the House throwing together a list of crimes on a mustard stained napkin and voting to impeach in 5 minutes.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

While I would love to see Trump impeached in disgrace, how are we gonna get by Cocaine Mitch?

It is possible to both impeach Donny and have Moscow Mitch blatantly wipe his rear end with the Constitution as he refuses to allow the trial.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

At least he'll finally shut up about the bill to fund the big beautiful wall.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

bird cooch posted:

Justice Roberts will be the president of the trial. There's only going to be so much that McConnell can do in theory because each senator is going to have to look at what's presented to them and what's presented to the public and then vote.

So there's no winning easily or even likely in the Senate, but this being an impeachment will put McConnell in a little bit deeper water than normal.

Other than the Chief Justice presiding over the inquiry, there are no actual rules for how to run the trial. There isn't even anything requiring the Senate to actually hold that trial.

List of things actually required by the Constitution:
  • Chief Justice presides over Presidential impeachment(nothing about who presides over non-Presidential impeachments).

• The Senate has the sole power to try impeachments.

• 2/3 vote of the members present in the Senate is required for an impeachment.(maybe we can get the Republicans to go to a 9/11 memorial?)

• Impeachment punishment is limited to removal from office and/or barring the impeached from ever holding further Federal Office.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

IT BURNS posted:

People who have lived through three impeachments: :catdrugs:

Those of us on our second: :getin:

Youngsters on their first: :witch:

Nobody is old enough to have lived through any impeachment other than Clinton.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

bird cooch posted:

https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/CDOC-99sdoc33/html/CDOC-99sdoc33.htm

Here's the actual rules, I didn't want to be a dick and take up an entire Page by pasting them here.

There's a whole lot of 'shall'

These are not Constitutional requirements, they are simply rules that the Senate has adopted. They are not binding and can be changed or ignored by the majority as they wish.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

If nothing else, I kind of feel sorry that no one will ever again use any other picture of Zelensky for any news item again.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

pkay posted:

Because you are willingly allowing them to distract the electorate. Keeping the focus on their very real and serious crimes should be of the upmost importance. Like the poo poo they are doing is 'muddying the water' 101. Stop letting them do that.

Some of the very real and serious crimes were instigated in a dumbass attempt to attack Biden. You seriously can't adequately talk about this Ukraine shakedown without also talking about Biden, because Biden is integral to Donny shaking down Ukraine.

Donny extorted a foreign country to manufacture the appearance of digging up dirt on some guy.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Drunk Theory posted:

If he is impeached in the House, the Senate will hold a trial. The Republicans control the Senate, so the likelihood of him being convicted is less than me getting struck by lightning when I next go outside.

The goal here being to hammer Republicans Senators with their vote to cover for Trump.

It seems very unlikely that the House doesn't vote out Articles of Impeachment at this point. Publicly starting the process on this crime golem and then not passing it on to the Senate would be gross political incompetence on a level that even Democrats should have trouble reaching. In such a situation the Left will be out for blood, Liberals will be furious, and the Centrists will be suicidal. Meanwhile Donny and the GOP will actually be able to use their prepared talking points bullshit about being acquitted without everyone not deep in the tank for Donny throwing up. Because while a Senate acquittal will be clearly partisan, not even making it out of the House will be seen as vindication by our idiotic electorate.

Which isn't saying that the Democrats won't gently caress this whole thing up by trying to speed through the process and generally being infuriating fuckwits. Just that this isn't something you start without planning on finishing it.

nine-gear crow posted:

Yep. It was a deal worked out by the DOJ specifically to get Agnew out of office and out as fast as possible, and the people who made the deal on both sides have since come out and said "actually this is bullshit, a president should be able to be indicted, we just didn't think anyone worse than Spiro 'literal bags of money with dollar signs on them delivered to his desk' Agnew would come along, but oops, Trump".

Again, Bagman: listen to it.

And yet Nixon was right there.

El Nam posted:

I've heard some real tin foil predictions about Mitch McConnell dragging his feet and possibly not holding a criminal proceeding at all, as the language in the articles of impeachment say the Senate "shall have the sole power to try all impeachments."

Mitch is almost certainly not dumb enough to do that, unfortunately. Because that's actually the 2nd best case scenario for the Country after the infinitesimally slim possibility of an actual conviction.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Sep 29, 2019

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
All you're going to get from the calls to Putin and Saudi Arabia are some expected crimes and genuflection. Obviously important stuff that we should know. However, considering what set off this whole cover up the transcripts plan was the call to the Australian PM, I'm actually a little more interested in his calls to the unassuming countries.

What insane poo poo did Donny throw at the Swiss PM?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

fool_of_sound posted:

Does anyone remember back to the distant past, when Trump touched the Orb?

No one can forget the orb. Nothing you do will allow you to forget.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I wonder how many times they had to call the surrounding fast food joints to place their orders for the first Presidential Football Banquet before the managers believed them and actually took the order.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Charlz Guybon posted:

He probably didn't expect Trump to release an unedited copy of that transcript of his own free will though

https://twitter.com/JoyceWhiteVance/status/1178304530502553601

I do have to say that of all the terrible, horrible, things our dumb President is and does, the fact that so many people are willing to completely throw away their dignity to be repeatedly shat on by the idiot until he gets bored and fires them is hilarious. I wonder if Barr and the other sad sack fuckers look at themselves in the mirror and convince themselves that licking the boot is worth it every morning.

Bakanogami posted:

So considering that any committee they sit the whistleblower down in front of is going to have Republicans on it, what are the chances that as soon as he testifies one of them quietly passes the name on to Trump and he just loving tweets it out

The administration itself almost certainly already knows who it is because the DNI is a feeble minded lickspittle who went running to them with the whistleblower complaint instead of to congress. Donny has probably been told a couple times, but his swish cheese brain has yet to hold onto the information because it was given at a boring meeting and not spoon fed via the TV.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

BigglesSWE posted:

"My own money, as given to me from the Trumps".

Normally that would be true, but it looks like Rudy is dead set on creating as much personal financial ruin as possible as a divorce tactic.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Shifty Pony posted:

I hope that when the whistleblower is giving testimony the committees let them use a pseudonym.

Something like one of the names Bart prank calls Moe with. Can't wait for a Trump tweet ranting about how "Mya Butte is a mess!"

Surely they would just be given a choice between John Miller, John Baron, and David Davidson.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I still can't get over the fact that the administration brain trust threw together an obviously cherry picked summary of a call they went out of their way to bury as far from the light of day as possible, and the summary was basically a cheap mob movie shakedown.

eke out posted:

I'm loving the ridiculous fiction that the Attorney General of the United States of America needs to be personally introduced to world leaders by the President in order for them to respond to document requests.

Barr just knows that he's going to be asking the type of insane questions that would cause any sane person to throw him out of their office. So he needs the various governmental agencies of his study abroad trip to fully understand that America really is that crazy.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i mean if poo poo gets bad enough, maybe. one of the weird outcomes i see is him losing the election and just doing that and saying he didnt lose. maybe goes to russia or somewhere else.

I'm holding out for the go before the press and publicly drop out as the East Coast returns roll in on November 3rd. Then open up whatever insane grift enterprise while peddling that he never lost, he quit because he already won everything.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Angry_Ed posted:

It's crimes all the way down.

It'll turn out the person leaking everything is actually Trump himself because he wants out of the Presidency but doesn't want to look weak by resigning.

The NYT has revealed the name of the whistleblower. It appears his name is John Miller.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Charlz Guybon posted:

It's Frum, but I thought this article was pretty good
https://twitter.com/TheAtlantic/status/1178872308657803264

I edited it down to the basics

Just want to point out that, technically, you don't need 67 votes to kick the bum out. You just need 2/3 of the present members to vote guilty like a dog. So if someone were to lock a few dipshits in a broom closet when it comes time to vote we could make some real history.

RandomBlue posted:

As a gen-xer, gently caress you, even if you're right.

e: God drat it, I'm old as gently caress. At least I'm not a boomer.

Personally I demand a new generational term for those of us born within a couple months of being cool millenials.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Huh, so spending years making GBS threads all over the intelligence agencies and gutting the state department didn't engender loyalty and compliance in those agencies. Who could possibly have known?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Zotix posted:

Aren't Pardons not applicable in cases of impeachment?

No, the pardons would still be good as long as he wrote them up before he was kicked out of office. You just can't use a pardon to clear the impeachment of an official.

Also just lol at anyone who is doing crimes with the understanding Donny is going to keep his word and issue that pardon now that you did what he wanted.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Its very simple to explain, it hit very fast, and it hit after all the other stuff had already pushed impeachment to a tipping point. This particular story was just the proverbial straw.

Also they have yet to offer a defense that would convince a gullible 5 year old. Being completely unable to even bullshit at a Kindergarten level is real bad when your entire brand is bullshitting at a post-doc level.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Zophar posted:

In about a month this is going to be clear it was obvious all along given that he left right in the midst of everything and was high enough in the admin to have front row seats to all of this, and yet we couldn't see it because who could imagine that a soulless bloodgurgling monster would be the guy to have a conscience in this hosed presidency???

On the off chance Bolton did go through the CIA whistleblower channels for some weird reason, you can bet your last cent it had absolutely nothing to do with a conscience. It'd only be pure hate and vindictiveness.

This is the wages of stopping a bombing mission.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Charlz Guybon posted:

Another poll showing growth in support for impeachment

EDIT: Also, if news organizations are going to consistently use a photo of Trump coming unglued from now on, that's gonna hurt him
https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1179698629818363904

There is almost no perceptive difference between a picture of Donny losing it and a regular picture. Any picture of him talking, and most of the ones where he's just looking at something, are indistinguishable from a picture of a man losing his poo poo.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

sexpig by night posted:

'company towns are good, and you deserve them' ~ someone who probably genuinely thinks they're a leftist

To be fair, it's 'company towns are bad, and you deserve them'.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Industrial strength denial.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

FizFashizzle posted:

I just love the idea of Daesh either recruiting people from an almost exclusively Catholic country, or inserting cells that wouldn't speak any Spanish but blending in because "brown people amiright."

It's 100% terrorists flying from the Middle East to Mexico and then walking North. It is an exhaustively stupid argument that you never want to get into with someone. They will swear up and down that they totally saw a new report about it. The fact that everyone present has smart phones and no one can find said new report will not end the argument. Arguing that (stereotypical)Mexicans and (stereotypical)Arabs don't really look that much alike won't end the argument. Painstakingly laying out how loving stupid, pointless, and circuitous such a thing is will not end the argument. Facts, reason, nothing ends the argument. The only thing that ends the argument is their wife yelling at them for talking politics at a party.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

The Glumslinger posted:

Its amazing how this could have been completely avoided if we still had a functioning state department besides Rudy yelling at people

It doesn't matter how awesome a fantasy State Department you want to imagine, it would have been powerless to stop the President from being a giant loving idiot who doesn't give a poo poo about consequences beyond the sweet feel of pressing that blue tweet button.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Otteration posted:

In theory the 50 loving warheads won't be useful to the Turks, but hey....

Just wait until the 3rd Trump Tower in Istanbul is announced.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

The Glumslinger posted:

I think we probably already discussed this, but I feel like this is yet another smoking run in a room filled with them

https://twitter.com/jdawsey1/status/1183891108880900097

Honestly, from what I've heard of how Donny runs his poo poo, I'd buy that no one was actually in charge and they both assumed the other guy was. Donny hates order and believes that chaotic, unstructured, subservience to his whims is the best way to run a business/government/Wendy's.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Too batshit for John Bolton. Not too batshit to blow the whistle himself or do anything that might take him out of position to possibly bomb some people, but beyond a line no one knew existed nevertheless.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Data Graham posted:

He could have stayed in for like one more month and had his name all over the Kurds thing

This isn't the type of war that sustains his dark soul. This is the US making GBS threads themselves and literally helping the Russians. It's the making Mr. Mxyzptlk say his name backwards of wars.

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Someone rightfully said in other thread, it looks like he is on a toilet

Here's a "fun" game: Try and find a picture of Donny sitting that doesn't look like he's sitting on a toilet.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
So Donny released the summary of his perfect conversation with the Ukrainian President, handed out copies of the that insane letter to Erdogan, and has repeatedly tweeted pictures that make the Democrats look great in the batshit meltdown meeting.

So, where's the countdown clock to him releasing and audio recording, video recording, or another criminally implicating summary of his meeting about Syria to prove that he totally didn't melt down, you melted down?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Herstory Begins Now posted:

wont someone think of poor meghan mccain

Man, it's just this kind of horrific screed that makes me feel like, maybe, just maybe, America was a mistake. We could be a beautiful shining city on a hill, but instead we're considering thinking about a rich girl.

HootTheOwl posted:

All you need to know about illhan's comments is that she was guilty of invoking a trope about dual loyalty and then a few months later Trump did it outright and the outcry was what exactly? I missed the joint resolution condemning him.

Well, when the President does it, that means it's not condemnable.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Oct 20, 2019

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

And not a one will stop enabling him for a single second over it.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Is there a name for a Reverse Bystander Effect?

Mob Mentality?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I'm just waiting to find out what other Trump Organization property wins this perfect search.

I hear there's some towers that were well known for being the tallest in New York on September 12, 2001 and have some space.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I'm sure it was all the very concerned anonymous Republicans that were talking to the media about G7 at Doral. Their unsourced, barely whispered, cries of concern are the real heroes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

SpeakSlow posted:

Journalism existed for decades without having to worry about yellow journalism in any large fashion. We need to return to the days where journalism is no longer subject to market whims and where opinion pieces need to be explicitly labeled as such.

If anything, we need to nationalize fact checking for anything labeled as non-opinion-based news. Fairness Doctrine was a half-measure.

Nobody tell this poor guy about the journalistic ethics of America's first newspapers.