Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Lord_Hambrose posted:

William H Macy is the Beckett we need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
That sounds cool, and also a lot like what my imagination tells me Hunter should be like.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I'm admittedly not an expert on any of these settings, (I mostly just play the video games and enjoy the lore ) but IIRC in Hunter: The Reckoning it says that most people just aren't aware of all the shenanigans all the monsters are up to, the only reason Hunters and Bystanders are aware of it is because they have what most people in-game consider a psychotic break with reality and start hearing voices and seeing things. There's something keeping regular people from being aware of everything that's going on, and the Messengers break that in some people.

I'm not saying go full Swedish Dracula or anything, but there's a lot of stuff that happens in the real world we will never know about, so it's possible for all these game lines to coexist at once.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

FirstAidKite posted:

I only just now found out about the game The Skeletons and now I'm thinking about how much it'd slap to have a World of Darkness attempt at it. Skeletal the Ossified or Skeletal the Gaunt or Skeletal the Ostracized or something.

Isn't that basically Steve Lichman?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

joylessdivision posted:

Oh god I have the KOTE corebook. It's definitely on the list for review because :staredog:

I'm a bit farther into 1e now, and most of the UK stuff is kinda eh, even when the Vampires get tossed in. Turns out the loving Tremere are probably behind most bad things that happened in the UK which is hilarious.

Also there is a Nosferatu in Paris, named Erik. Can you guess where he lives? He's so far my favorite thing in this book :3:

Also lol all the European Kindred apparently hate the Giovanni. Less lol was a mention of the Ravnos and how they're theives, and also any time the Assasamites have been mentioned it's had some gross "Eeew, Muslims" vibes. Also apparently the Assasamites did a terrorism in 85 in Vienna, which Google tells me was a real thing that actually happened.

:geno: White Wolf! :geno:

I wonder where Swedish Dracula got his ideas anyway... :iiam:

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

MonsieurChoc posted:

Yes, let's all become compleat.

To become compleat is to become some sort of steampunk Borg and... we like steampunk now?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Wasn't there also a CCG? I don't remember that explicitly being about abused kids.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

GimpInBlack posted:

I think folks are conflating the two Changelings a little bit.

Changeling: The Dreaming (aka the World of Darkness one, from the 90s) is very much about kids (not specifically abused people). That game had a CCG, called Arcadia. Changeling: The Lost (aka the Chronicles of Darkness one, with its second edition from a few years ago) is very much about abuse survivors (not specifically kids), and did not have a CCG.

Yeah, it's Arcadia I'm remembering. It was fairly neat but I could never find anyone to play it with. Thanks for the clarification!

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
piss

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Didn't it turn out that The Messengers empowering the Imbued were actually Kindred of the East or something like that?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Dang that sucks. RIP Yawgmoth.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

That Old Tree posted:

Okay, so in 2000 the movie Dracula 2000 came out, starring Gerard Butler as Dracula/Judas Iscariot, Christopher Plummer as Van Helsing who has been using the captive Dracula's blood to prolong his life, as well as Omar Epps and Jeri Ryan. It ends with Gerard Dracula on an upside-down neon cross, surrounded by sparks, on fire, hanging off the side of a building, coming to peace with his conflict with God so he can finally die.

It turns out he didn't finally die, so that they could make a sequel, Dracula 2000 Ascension, where some scientists retrieve his beef jerky corpse to study. Of course, that means strapping him to a board in an empty abandoned pool in some gross old gym.

The scientists have a number of clever plans to contain Dracula once he inevitably breaks free, based on the usual folklore. When he first starts advancing slowly, someone rips open a bag of rice and throws it at him, which he is compelled to count, but he has super senses and super speed so he just does it in like two seconds. This is probably the best part of the movie since it's the only thing anyone ever remembers about it.

There's another sequel, Legacy, where IIRC Casey Novak from Law & Order sleepwalks through the role of being a former bride of Dracula who is mad they finally succeeded in killing Dracula in the last movie. Even though it's set in the present of 2005 a lot of it takes place in a thriving medieval castle.

From what I recall (it's been ~15 years since I saw these) the first two are kind of fun dumb movies, but Legacy was just boring-bad.

That all sounds rad, honestly.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Rand Brittain posted:

"but none of these will work because mages can't roll more successes than God."

Well, first of all through God all things are possible, so jot that down.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
The Imbued should be agents/infrastructure of the God-Machine. The more they know about how things actually are, the more unhinged they seem to people not initiated into the God-Machine's ways. Sort of like white blood cells.

At least, that's how I would run it.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

joylessdivision posted:

Why would we need the God-Machine when actual factual YAWEH is running around the setting and laughing at Caine at the end of the world?!

Well, I feel that actually explaining the Imbued takes a lot of the magic away, so linking them to something ineffable like the God-Machine dovetails nicely for my purposes.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

DantetheK9 posted:

H5 PDF is out for folks who preordered and...I don't hate it. Love the aesthetics of the book itself, the text is VERY Vigil. If V5 is "Masquerade with some Requiem DNA spliced in", then H5 is "Vigil with some Reckoning DNA spliced in."
Not as bad thing, though I need to actually finish the book. Really digging what I've read so far though.

I'm looking forward to hearing about what replaced the Imbued.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
The Imbued existing or not existing is a major (the BEST!?!) part of HtR, most people think they're literally psychopaths.

You can snip out the objectionable ties to the Kindred of the East super easy, have it be the God-Machine instead. Hell, it was the God-Machine all along as far as I'm concerned.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

ZearothK posted:

I think the surface explanation for H5 being essentially Hunters Hunted is that the Imbued were very much tied to the End Times metaplot. Which is something that could be easily retconned like Gehenna was in V5.

The real explanation is that White Wolf belongs to Paradox, so the Imbued will likely be a DLC supplement for H5. I think it's a mistake, Hunter had some relatively popular videogames and it's probably second only to Vampire in popularity amongst the middle aged people that make the bulk of TT consumers and the book as it is is kind like an expanded and generalized version of the Second Inquisition book for V5 instead of being its own bold thing. The Imbued owned and it was the best WW game as a horror game in my opinion (not counting Wraith because no one ever played Wraith), no organization, you're just a person who started seeing monsters everywhere and feel compelled to do something about it.

Hey, I'm not middle aged... oh poo poo.

Anyway one can certainly do a prepper read on Hunter: The Reckoning, but prepping for stuff doesn't really feel like what the Imbued are called to do: "Something, Dammit!"

It's why I like the idea of the God-Machine being behind them, different game lines or no.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I've been thinking about all of this Of Darkness game stuff and it's all The Consensus. It's all true, the good stuff and the bad stuff. It's also all a lie, as well.

Each one of you are both 100% correct about these games, and completely wrong about these games.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
It's never a bad idea to replace the dragons giving the Hunters their powers with the God Machine. Yeah, I know it's mixing edition stuff, but I don't care.

In my games, Hunters are Reality's Immune System, but also the God Machine is Kinda Broken and there is no way to fix It, let alone understand It. Hunters can have fluctuating levels of power based upon story needs, and some (most?) Hunters are just Bystanders with good connections like they seem to be in V5.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
For immortal monstrous inhuman Things That Should Not Be, these vampires all seem to show extreme restraint. I bet The Beast is all just gaslighting.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

joylessdivision posted:

Jorp sucks but god drat that was legit pretty funny. Ravnos was :discourse:

:hai:

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Whirling posted:

Cool, thanks for the help, I did note that there is a companion book and those are usually at least somewhat helpful, so I'll probably scoop that up too.

I'm wondering what cities would be cool to run this in. I'm not a big fan of Chicago or New York City since they're so overplayed as settings, and I usually like designing my own courts in these sorts of games anyway over using pre-made settings.

You mean New York and Los Angeles, right? Riiiiiight?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Gatto Grigio posted:

Yeah, that works too. My origin isn’t intended to be canonical or anything. It’s better to present multiple origins and let players determine whether all or none are true.

I feel that way, except also for the God Machine.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

psudonym55 posted:

I have mixed feelings on unification. On one hand it would be nice to get the part of the country stolen back, on the other if we get it back we'll actually have to deal with all the issues up north.
It's funny when it causes problems for the UK. It will be less funny when we actually have to deal with it ourselves.

Get ready to never shut up about us Plastic Paddies if so. You think we're insufferable NOW?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Everyone posted:

Except not really because she wrote Myrtle the Toilet Girl Ghost for Book 2.

A cautionary tale, about how sometimes plumbing will trap your soul so always check under the seat before use.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Absolutely none of these Sleepers can be trusted. Their "creativity" is expressed outside of the appropriate channels and approved forms. Without the Technocracy... I shudder to think.

At least the "monsters" in these games conform to Hayes 2.0.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Anonymous Zebra posted:

EDIT: Holy poo poo this post is kind of long. Sorry guys.

Thank you all for the comments. I suppose a large part of this is going to be dependent on the players and what types of characters they want to play. We’re still not there yet, as we haven’t finished our current campaign, and there is another DM in the queue before me. Several of the players have never played Hunter, but I just found out that one guy has, and another guy has been secretly LARPing Masquerade for years, so that’s a bonus.
If you don’t mind, I wanted to share the structure of the city and the overarching plot I had planned out to see if it sounds good. Feel free to skip the rest of this post if you don’t want to read a summary of my setting.

The chronicle would take place in the city of Silver Springs, which is a fictional city, but partially inspired by a real city I randomly found on Google Maps when I was cruising along the Columbia River looking for a good map to rip off for the game. The real city is called Longview, and when I looked into it, I found it had a pretty LOL history. The area where the city now exists was originally noted by European explorers because there was a giant promontory they named “Mount Coffin”, which was apparently a Native American burial ground for the local tribe, which practiced above-ground “sky” burials. Eventually the area was bought by a Lumber Baron, who hired a city planner who used Washington DC as a template to create a planned city, making it one of the largest privately-owned planned cities at the time. At some point, “Mount Coffin” was dynamited to create gravel to build the roads. Yes, the real history of this place is a planned city based off DC whose roads are literally made from the remain of an exploded Native American burial ground.

So, that gave me a bit of inspiration. Here is the “secret history” of Silver Springs. The European expedition was actually funded by a secret society of wealthy occultists and hedge wizards hoping to discover untapped sources of power in the West, or even evidence of the Lost Civilization of Mu. When they stumbled upon “Mount Coffin” (gonna need to rename that, it’s almost too on the nose), what they actually discovered was that the formation was hollow and led underground into a chamber containing ancient texts carved into the walls and…something…slumbering under the ground. It turns out in the language of the local natives, that the formation had a completely different name, “The Cradle of the Infant”. At some point in the distant past, some ancient civilization managed to trap an entity into quiescence under the earth and left detailed instructions on the walls of the “Cradle” on why it should never be woken up and how to keep it asleep. The Occultists were thrilled at the discovery, and spent over a decade translating the texts, and eventually decided that they could harness the power of this thing by building a better prison that could “leak” some of its energy for them.

There is a long history of conspiracy theories and studies on the city planning of Washington DC. L’Enfant legitimately did some nifty mathematical tricks in planning the city, and there is some great reading on the subject and how his original plan never was completely realized (https://www.cnu.org/publicsquare/2018/02/21/l%E2%80%99enfant%E2%80%99s-sacred-design-washington-dc). In any case, Silver Springs is a case study of Sacred Geometry writ large. The entire city is a planned mystical grid built for the sole purpose of containing “The Infant” and siphoning a portion of its power into the 9 members of the “City Planning Commission” which oversees all new construction of the city (in actuality the 9 men who studied the creature and conceived of the scheme). The roads and sidewalks (made from the original material of the Cradle) cross in complex sacred designs, and the people walking and moving along them daily serve as a ritual strengthening of the grid. All of the buildings, skyscrapers, metro tunnels (finished and unfinished), etc. all serve as complex components of a city sized occult matrix that has been running uninterrupted for roughly 100 years.

One of the first things these men did after moving the Infant into the “Nursery”, a structure they built under what would become City Hall, is summon a pair of ephemeral entities (Angels?) which were each given a specific task. The first one’s job is to maintain the grid and ensure that it continues functioning, while the second one was tasked with protecting the grid from discovery. I really dislike the God-Machine as an antagonist, but I love the idea of “covers”, so each of these two beings created complex covers that allow them to achieve their purposes. The first one’s cover is the bureaucracy that controls construction and upkeep of the city. It is the names, phone numbers, and email addresses of faceless government employees that exist only on the city website. It’s the rubber stamp that approves or denies construction permits. It’s the first of several paper-thin facades that only make sense when you are in the city, but crumble with persistent investigation. The second one’s cover is the “Oregon Office of Investigation” a state-run law enforcement agency (which the state doesn’t even know exists), that investigates matters that are beyond the city’s police force. The Director of this agency as well as a number of its agents are actually the cover for the second entity, which investigates strange phenomena in the city and then suppresses or eliminates anything that might reveal the existence of the grid or endanger it. Normal mortals work at and run these institutions, completely unaware that the people they answer to, or receive orders from are facades that don’t really exist. The magic of the city makes it hard for locals to recognize things like that the members of the City Planning Commission have never been seen in person, or that the OOI has had the same four agents working at it for 30+ years.

Since the founding of the city, many monsters have moved in, mostly for their own purposes to dominate humans, cause suffering, or otherwise make their dens or nests. Most of these horrors have no idea about the strange origins of the city, while a few have noticed the mystic energies of the place and have tried tapping into it for their own purposes, none of them know the true scope of the work though since anything that comes close, human or horror, is eliminated by the twin entities. And what of the 9 men who built all of this? Well, poo poo went bad for them, for it turns out one of them was not a man at all but a creature born from the union of an Appalachia witch and some creature from the void between the stars. He had been trying to spread his genes for decades before he came upon the secret society, and he easily impressed them with his arcane gifts and occult knowledge. This creature, calling himself James Bell at the time, didn’t see The Infant as a means of power, but as GOD itself and secretly planned to awaken it to bring about a new eldritch utopia on Earth. His initial attempt to do so led to the death of the majority of the other occultists and led to a disastrous flood that damaged large parts of the early city. However, he failed. The city rebuilt itself (through the efforts of the first twin) and the last surviving occultist used the power of the grid to create a Cover for himself changing his identity so completely that even Bell’s magics couldn’t find him.

And that’s been the status quo for nearly 100 years. The grid hums away, the city grows and shrinks like any other, the whole system on autopilot since all the men who built it are either dead or in hiding. But things are about to change. On one fateful night, the PCs will be playing a poker game together when tragedy strikes. The kindly old man living in the penthouse above is struck down by a truly random act of violence and all hell breaks loose. This event is the session 1 inciting event which will bring the group together as a cell, and the man struck down was the last surviving member (besides Bell) of the original 9 founders of the city. With his death, things will begin to spiral out of control and Bell will soon again make an attempt to awaken what he thinks is his God, likely with similar disastrous results.

That’s kind of where I’m at right now. I’ve been trying to structure some scenarios that will clue the players into all of this as they go about hunting the city’s horrors. I can share some of those if people are interested, but I think this post is long enough already.

That sounds rad, I hope it works well for you and your players!

The God-Machine is only an antagonist if you force it to be. The God-Machine Is.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Soonmot posted:

I asked my players to create an npc for some ancillary coteries in our requiem game, and one made Jim Varney a vampire.

Is he a Malkavian who talks to somebody named "Vern" that only he can see?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

TheCenturion posted:

Gale Stalker Theurge.

This is what I got, also. I don't know very much about Werewolf (any version).

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
The Brujah love them some sweetbread. Don't try to gently caress with theirs, man.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah teens never do any of that stuff.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

joylessdivision posted:

I think I also read through some of the Gehenna scenarios and boy I sure love the "Cool poo poo is happening off screen while you just sit here and listen to all the cool stuff happening off screen. No you may not look at what is happening off screen. gently caress you"

Steamed Hams: The Apcolypse

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Dawgstar posted:

The more J. Sambrano reveals about the original stuff Hunters was working on for Woof 5E the more frustrating the finished product is. You might think to yourself, "I, as an educated goon of the world, surely would think they talk about climate collapse a lot in the book!" I tell you friends, no.

Wereterriers, etc.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
That didn't look terrible. Cartoony? Yes. Terrible? No.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

quote:

Dudes of Legend: How To Be loving Awesome

Strippers? Awesome. Lesbian strippers? Double-awesome. Lesbian strippers whipping off their trenchcoats only to reveal a katana tucked delicately in a garter or g-string? That is a face full of awesome. Your face will be dripping with awesome. The sauce of awesome will give you a nasal enema.

This book includes:
• New rules for your World of Darkness games.
• More awesome than you can possibly handle.
• Also, it's pretty dirty.

Honestly that sounds rad and over the top. 🤷‍♂️

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Leperflesh posted:

I'm hesitant to send this thread to the halloween forum if only Soonmot thinks it'd be fun (no offense Soonmot). Anyone else? Any objections?

I think it would be a tonal mismatch, that is a fun silly subforum and we are super serious and grim here.

The MageChat would be amazing if the right posters saw it and made it goofy, though.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Whatever happens, make sure that the inhuman eldritch horrors beyond mortal comprehension and the things that used to be human aren't problematic in any way, both now or in the future. Keep everything at around CW level so that no one's uncomfortable in this horror setting. Late Supernatural, not early.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
4e was for people who love hotbars and cooldowns and complaining about mods.

It was... interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Mister Olympus posted:

a lot of early 1e nwod feels like it's written to spite owod

The thing that really gives it away is all the blackjack and hookers.