Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

MrFlibble posted:

Is there a country out there that is not currently being run by morons? I mean, I know ours are the dumbest, but things look bleak everywhere.

Our current government is merely half-witted but mostly benign, compared to the actively malignant tumor we had before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

squirrelzipper posted:

Hi. Canadian lurker poljunkie checking in. What’s the point at which Labour would have to think about changing leadership? Or is just a matter of enduring until the Torres immolate?

When polls start to matter.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

baka kaba posted:

you can't just have your own toilet in everyone's house though, what if you never even visit

This is the kinda thing I'd expect in a monarchy actually. Like by tradition everyone has got one unused toilet reserved for the queen or something.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Bobstar posted:

Oh god the smell of an orange (or one of those little fake oranges that are called other things) being peeled... :gonk:

I can eat a kilo of satsumas just like that.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

thespaceinvader posted:

Honestly it sounds like you're well clear, she sounds like a goddamn nightmare to work with long term.

Like, if your concern watching The Bodyguard is that we're teaching The Children bad morals because they might learn to gently caress consensually...

I justcannot fathom how deeply you're missing the entire point of that show.

He should still gently caress with them as much as possible

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Scikar posted:

London has the lowest level of car ownership in the country. Purely by coincidence*, it also has vastly superior public transport than the rest of the country. You don't have to build a single tunnel or even anything at all in London, just put actual buses, trams and cycle lanes in every other major city and you'd already cut half the cars we need.

*Not actually a coincidence

London is also the place with the highest per capita footprint in the UK.

https://www.carbonbrief.org/city-of-london-tops-uk-carbon-footprint-list

quote:

When the researchers compared the factors behind high carbon footprints, they found people’s lifestyle had the biggest effect, while things like being urban or rural, or the distance from industry were less important.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Based on 2004 figures.
"City of London" is the square mile, not the whole of London.

The results show that both the biggest and smallest carbon footprints were found in London. The bankers, lawyers and guild members found in the City were responsible for emitting 15.5 tonnes of carbon dioxide a year. Londoners just eight miles away on the A1203 in the much more residential area of Newham were thriftier with carbon – producing just 10.2 tonnes of the potent greenhouse gas:

The City will be absolutely chock full of IT cooking up the atmosphere.

Ed: beaten to the 'city is the square mile' comment.

Still point I was after was what the researchers concluded that lifestyle matters more than location in taming your footprint.

There was a 2011 study in Finland showing similar results as well, people in the Helsinki Metro Area (equivalent to the london metro area I guess) had the highest per capita footprints. Again their lifestyles were the cause, more consumption and more travel. People elsewhere had less money and consumed less and traveled abroad less, this was enough for their capita emissions to be lower despite traveling more in a car or having a house to heat.

This is why I believe a 4 day work week, insititued on an EU level, would be one of the most immediately effective ways of reducing our CO2 footprint quickly. As well as increase our life quality.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

feedmegin posted:

Something something https://eev.ee/blog/2012/04/09/php-a-fractal-of-bad-design/?utm_source=tool.lu

Real pros invent their own language and compiler :sun:

I quite enjoy c# and the VS2019 express IDE

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Another Mark Blyth video, I have to say I'm not really following his logic re Corbyn and why an election after hard brexit means a sure win for Johnsson. I wonder if it stems from his homebrew idea that Corbyn never wanted to be PM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eW90T7ZB7L4

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Josef bugman posted:

What do people think is the key to a good life?

I think that depends on who you ask. Though I also think we as a society, have been fed an story about what a good life entails that doesn't really work, which makes a lot of people miserable even though they are successful by modern standards.

Edit: I'll pay the cat tax

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Oct 13, 2019

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

ThomasPaine posted:

Weetman has a very distinct variation of the Ben Shapiro syndrome - got into gifted and talented class at school and that became her single personality trait and remains so as a grown woman.

This gifted / talented class thing is such repulsive bullshit. I remember some bastard wanted to introduce it in Finland a few years ago, gently caress no thanks.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Watching some old Spitting Image from the 1980s, this bit felt quite relevant for today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aj-hfBDlvHQ&t=342s

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I am a coffee drinker but if I drink tea then I want black tea, with cream.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

OwlFancier posted:

I wonder what happens if you refine tea into some weird powder that you stick up your nose.

I do know powdered green tea is part of the recipe for some moon cakes.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Mushrooms don't operate on the regular good<--->bad scale, you gotta narrow it down a bit

The most beautiful mushroom, I would argue, is Gyromitra esculenta

look at it, it's amazing

Oh the stenmurkla.

Note to thread, this one is dangerous, a single mushroom is enough to kill you. Boiling (thrice) has been traditionally used to make it safe though lately many consider it simply inedible nowadays, because it has killed experienced people even though they prepared it correctly. I read a personal account of one who had eaten it for 30 years and still got poisoned one day, later he found out the toxin concentration can vary immensely between individual mushrooms and so some can be dangerous even though they have been treated.

Even in non lethal doses the toxin is a carcinogen too.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Guavanaut posted:

Saw this and thought of you.

I've been healthy/lazy/cheap recently and haven't had a bacon and sausage bap in like a year or something and now I want one :(

Eggs royale I think. Because they use the metric system.

Local place that's run out of a caravan has got this, I think I'd prefer a burger tho.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Brony Car posted:

You all consider Macron a centrist?

I thought Macron himself did

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Ms Adequate posted:

It's true, I'm a huge slutty sub.

Josef bugman posted:

I think they don't make sandwiches like that anymore.

Diet Crack posted:

Just stuff it full of meat

I'm gonna take this as an excuse to post the sandwich I made today.

Something I got from a good eats episode years ago.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Guavanaut posted:

Nope, Lady Sandwich is booj as heck.

Lettuce, Guacamole, Bacon, and Tomato is the best sandwich.

I don't like to pretend there is a best sandwich, there are so many vareties and what you want changes all the time. The best sandwich is the one you want right now.

A solid contender for top 10 status in my book would be rye bread, butter and smoked ham. A simple finnish classic.

Edit:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Steve2911 posted:

I could quite happily shove the removed bread into my face.

This is actually what I did, mopped up the remaining vinaigrette with the pieces of bread, if nothing else they would have become bread crumbs, I don't like waste either.

osker posted:

Hold up, you clearly got a chef knife. That should've been sufficient to make this sandwich yet I see a mandolin, an egg slicer, and two cutting boards. How are we going to usher in full communism with you clearly hogging all the means of production? Did you use a spoon to scoop the bread? Two bowls? What do you need that fork for?

What can I say, I've amassed some stuff over the years. A lot of my stuff is bought 2nd hand, some were gifts, the big cutting board was a hand me down from my grandmother and is over 20 years old, the other wooden cutting boards I have made myself as I have my own means of production out back.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Junior G-man posted:

If the PLP moves against Corbyn at this moment, they really will be condemning the Labour Party irreparably.

So it's gonna happen then?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Mrenda posted:

My world (kitchen) was changed when I found out you could do waffles in the toaster. Basically, I had to stop buying waffles lest I turn into one (from eating so many.)

People buy waffles?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

DesperateDan posted:

go status: Here we, loving

Awkward to shoplift and not much resale value

I guess I am gonna have to make waffles today.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I guess you're all busy with your election now, but I did say I was gonna make waffles.

Homemade jam of course.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Ebola Dog posted:

What's a good waffle batter recipe? Got a waffle maker but have struggled to find a good recipe that works with it.

The one I used:
100g melted butter
300ml flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
pinch of salt
400ml milk.

I found I had to add more milk to get the right consistency, might have been because it uses volume for the flour instead of weight.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

CGI Stardust posted:

Jeremy Corbyn has mastered the art of Hokuto no Ken Livingstone

ed: wildlife tax, this time the bullfinch

We call thatt a "domherre", literal translation would be "judgment lord".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

jabby posted:

So the six o'clock news just showed the clip of Corbyn saying the Tories want to sell off the NHS.

And Keunssberg (in voiceover) immediately said "Of course the Tories don't have plans to do this".

Amazing.

Isn't that lying and violating the laws on media reporting that kick in when you have an election?