Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

CharlestonJew posted:

I'm assuming Aizawa was very similar at his age

the latest arc in the side-comic Vigilantes gives us a look at young Aizawa

he was always the type of person who could wilt a flower garden by walking past it

e: f;b

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Vinylshadow posted:

Which cartoon animal represents Deku?

his costume and shoot style say "rabbit" but horikoshi also drew him as a sheep a couple of times

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

It’s interesting that 3 different superhero tv series have had power-swapping/stealing villains (MHA, Heroes, and Misfits).

afaik almost every superhero property has some sort of "power stealing" character and they're almost always a disaster for the plot

AfO is one of the better examples because he's in a world where nearly everyone has a superpower and it's considered a fundamental part of their identity, so someone who robs them of that is seen as way more of a horror than just a really strong dude

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
immortal no, unnaturally long-lived yes

the man's probably loaded himself up with anti-ageing quirks, but it was sheer luck that he survived getting his head punched off

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ninjewtsu posted:

He could take the energy storing quirk though right? Or does one for all protect all quirks the user has?

I guess it let's you be given quirks but doesn't let them be stolen?

one for all is the hybrid of an energy-storage quirk and a quirk that lets power grow over time

something about the fusion gave it its "inheritance" property, which makes it so that it can only be passed on voluntarily

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Oct 23, 2019

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
crap, that was my first take but i went back and changed it

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Junpei posted:

I forget the context from the manga, but I could have sworn the thing he did with his glove was less "Let go of the green kid or he and Blondie are going to be blood splatters on the walls" and more "If you let go now, maybe I won't hurt you as much when we get back home".

overhaul's quirk requires direct skin contact, so he only takes off his gloves when he need to splatter somebody

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Hunt11 posted:

Do you want to explain this in the manga thread?

i think it's more that "just as restrained and law-abiding as the police" is probably not as positive an analogy as the OP seems to think

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Fabricated posted:

a family with toast for heads

*tapping cigar* i've heard of a butter-face but this is ridiculous!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
in case no one else has said it yet

overhaul's power is bullshit

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Vinylshadow posted:

"I know this is rich, coming from me, but your powers are BULLSHIT."

my man right here :ocelot:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the arguments against yaoyarozu being a hero probably wouldn't be as strong if her accomplishments in the anime to date weren't so lacking

she's one of two recommended students in 1A. in the sports tournament, todoroki nuked the entire stadium twice over. yaoyorozu came down with performance anxiety and then got pecked off the stage

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

Deku's visible accomplishments during that same tournament mostly looked like him maiming himself to outside observers.

The entirety of his development up to this point has just been trying to figure out how to use his quirk without maiming himself or people around him!

which he figured out immediately after, when he helped to take out stain. the closest thing yaoyorozu's had to an onscreen win was the midterm exam, where it was left in doubt whether aizawa threw the match to give her a confidence boost

loving kouda's had a better showing than her so far. kouda!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ninjewtsu posted:

I was surprised to see eraserhead get chumped like that. Obviously there was a surprise attack angle and not knowing his opponent's capabilities, but my understanding was his whole deal was disabling his opponent's quirks, then beating the poo poo out of them because he's essentially specialized for an effectively quirkless vs quirkless duel. Girl With Knife must be pretty drat good at knifing to get the easy shank in on him like that, didnt he throw down against dozens of villains at once during the initial league of villains appearance?

toga's quirk belies the fact that her main skill is being really, really super good at stabbing people

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the manga chapters depicting this fight were titled as follows:

- Mirio Togata
- Mirio Togata!!
- LEMILLION

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Doctor Reynolds posted:

The League of Villains' surprising affability (which translates into people skills) does make me wonder why in the world they thought they could convert Bakugo. Dude calls himself King Explosion Kill, so, I guess...

bakugo's behavior during the sports festival made him extremely high-visibility and villainous, so shigaraki figured that if they could publicly recruit him to the league then it would be a deathblow to the heroes' public image

shiggy was also riding the high of being a Big Boy villain for the first time and got a little too confident in his plan

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Rhonne posted:

Deku already had his arm trauma last season, he can't afford to have any more.

it's surprising how much less compelling midoriya's character becomes when he's not exploding his skeleton in every fight

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Nephthys posted:

Quirkless Mirio did better against Chisaki than Nighteye and Deku combined. He's the real deal.

That said Deku is one of my favorite protags in shounen. Calling him boring is ignoring that a part of his personality is 'a loving lunatic without self-preservation instincts.' I'll admit he can be a bit bland sometimes but when he goes intense he goes hard. His fights vs Todoroki and Muscular are some of my favorites of all time.

which, again, happened when he was still detonating his bones with every attack (and were primarily interesting because of it)

don't get me wrong, midoriya's still a welcome departure from the usual shounen personality trifecta of "punch," "brash," and "stupid (or is he???)" but a lot of the kid's appeal in terms of story dynamics came from one very specific thing, and when it goes away it takes a lot of his uniqueness with it

it doesn't help that, as this arc helpfully demonstrates, MHA has a Bleach-tier Too Many loving Characters problem, and even though they're universally more appealing than Kubo's unending parade of stoic men in white uniforms, they don't leave a whole lot of oxygen for the cast that was originally introduced

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ninjewtsu posted:

Now that I know her power it seems kinda lame, less creative than what the boys have, and also I'm not sure how effective it is?

So she uses her life force to shoot laser spirals? Does that mean her power is slowly killing her? And the power she's getting out of it doesn't seem terribly effective against "a really big dude." I don't get it, what sets her apart from the normal students at UA and puts her on level with "horrifying shapeshifting chimera monstrosity" and "real life speedrunning glitches?" Really disappointing unless they give her a big show off fight later

as said earlier, it uses stamina instead of life force, and in a world where flight is a semi-rare ability she's basically an aerial artillery platform

it's not as varied or adaptable as amajiki's or togata's quirks, but it doesn't really need to be when she can just blow you the gently caress up from a safe vantage point

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
nighteye just sucks in general tbh

his quirk is dumb, his character is muddled, he has a kinky tickle machine in his office

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
bubble girl was just a contest-winner cameo so she was never going to be plot-relevant, but there's no such excuse for nejire

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ninjewtsu posted:

i kinda wanna see the copy quirk guy in action, it seems like you could get some interesting fights off of an ability like that

if he got a cool fight before any girl did though i'd probably be pretty mad

i feel like fully displaying the potential of a powerset like monoma's would require someone cleverer with action scenes than horikoshi's turned out to be

the opening arcs could get pretty smart with mix-and-matching the utilities of various quirks, but ever since then (and especially since full cowl was introduced) most fights have just been variations on "punch 'im inna face"

they're great face-punches, mind you, a finer collection of face-punches one could scarcely ask for, but that's mostly what they are

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

oh jay posted:

Overhaul turned someone into a tire and he got better.

he was just a little worn out

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

PMush Perfect posted:

Yessss, I can finally talk about Bakugo playing the drums!

(He is ridiculously good at drums.)

*screamed so loud your throat bleeds* YOU CAN TEEEELLLLL ME IIIIIF YOU THINK I'M GETTING BEEEEEETTER ON THE DRUUUUUUMS

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

Well, we don't know that she hadn't already fallen in with the league before they steered her towards those particular crimes.

giran only began scouting after stain's rebellion, magne wouldn't have had nearly enough time to build a record like that

hell, her rapsheet was probably half the reason giran scouted her in the first place

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

fool of sound posted:

So Dabi is absolutely going to be Todoroki's older brother, right? "Oops instead of getting red fire and blue ice this kid got blue fire better massively abuse him until he runs away and becomes a serial killer who agrees with Stain."

same eye color, similar quirk, he notably did not have his actual name mentioned during all might's pizza delivery

the burns strongly imply that, since he didn't have shouto's temperature regulation abilities, endeavor pushed him so hard that he spontaneously combusted

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
overhaul treated shigaraki like a small-time chump and shigaraki quietly sabotaged his plans, made off with the fruits of his research, and permanently crippled him for good measure

shigaraki isn't intended to be some looming threat in the style of all for one, he's an up-and-coming villain the same way midoriya is an up-and-coming hero. his early career was a series of embarrassing tactical blunders and missed opportunities much like midoriya's several initial attempts at heroism resulted in him pulverizing his own bone structure and being carried out on a stretcher, but he's getting a little bit better every time

overhaul, meanwhile, is a shallow, antisocial brat, pretty much exactly who shigaraki was at during the USJ raid. he sucked and it's good that he lost and he's not coming back

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

A Bug posted:

I may be overthinking it, but I enjoyed the little interaction between Mina and Kirishima. Kirishima admitting that he's not really OK but is getting there when Mina asked him was nice. It's a bit of a change-up from the normal brash/manly shounen character laughing and brushing off anything that could be perceived as a feeling that isn't fighting.

if you're hard all the way through then that just makes you brittle. kirishima has a soft and gooey center and so he is unbreakable

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
there's also no such thing as "dealing a lot of damage to the heroes" in this setting with the manpower that shigaraki's got. the power imbalance between hero and villain in MHA is absurd - the former is a country-spanning multibillion-dollar industry with the latest technology, limitless funding, and thousands of people who double as both celebrities and special law enforcement with all the privileges of both, while the villains are mostly down-and-out bums and anarchists squatting in lovely hovels and warehouses and taking what they can get when they can get it. overhaul is one of the few exceptions, because he's leeching off the dregs of the yakuza's own wealth and influence to fund his pet projects

that's why shigaraki's early operations focused more on demolishing the hero society's public image more than just trying to rack up a kill count. taking down all might was the most obvious way to accomplish that, sure, but when all might turned out to have way too much swagger for him to handle, he instead tried to make one of the most visible and controversial hero students a public turncoat, which would wreck U.A.'s image. that second plan could have worked! it's just that he horribly misjudged bakugo's personality and got his face exploded for his trouble.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the league immediately started sharpening their knives against overhaul because he killed one of their own and toga and twice had each other's backs during their entire op within the yakuza's HQ

they give a poo poo about each other and you're deliberately blinding yourself to the events onscreen if you haven't clued into that by now

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Rhonne posted:

What defines an "evil" quirk though? Endeavor sets people on fire for a living, 13 creates mini black holes that can suck anything up, Tokoyami has a crazy shadow spirit that gets more violent in the dark, and Mina can melt people's faces off with her acid. Would you call any of those quirks "evil"?

please note that if anyone has the gall to call my good friend dark shadow evil then i will slay you with a mighty kung fu chop

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

It strikes me some of the quirks, such as Toga’s are really esoteric and circumstance-based. How do you even find out you have them?

quirk factors probably have some intuitive compulsion to make them trigger

stain's is the especially odd one, and must have made for a very awkward parent-teacher conference

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
every ladder needs a bottom rung

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i like the repeated hints that mineta's a tactical genius who just never bothers to show it off because he's more interested in t&a

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
One of Bakugo’s more overlooked qualities when he’s on the offensive is that he never lets the other guy stop for breath, so Overhaul would probably wind up frantically laying down walls between the two of them just so he can patch himself up

Of course, what most people see as a wall Bakugo sees as shrapnel-in-waiting

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
it's been blindingly obvious from the word go that midoriya and bakugo combined have the qualities of all might - altruism/strong sense of justice and overwhelming strength/desire for victory. they're also both lacking in the other's dominant trait and are steadily making up for it with time, with midoriya learning to fight in a way that doesn't tank his own body and bakugo slowly becoming less of a homicidal jackass towards everyone around him

i said this a while back and it still holds true - a lot of people so, so badly want bakugo to be the schoolyard bully archetype who's repeatedly humbled until all his rough edges are sanded off, but it's never going to happen. the fact that his peers still reluctantly admire him for his strength and drive (while condemning his dogshit personality) is also one of the things that makes MHA's approach to "heroism" stand out, because it acknowledges that all the doe-eyed good intentions in the world don't measure up to the power needed to see them through. without him around, and especially now that midoriya's not hospitalizing himself with every punch, we'd just have a bunch of interchangeable grinning dopes making determined speeches into the camera

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
one may assume that snipe seldom appears in the comic because his quirk (which is Gun) and his equipment (which is also Gun) would trivialize the vast majority of encounters shown thus far

the minute he stepped into the USJ, shigaraki was on the ground with more new holes than a colander

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Rhonne posted:

There was also that kid with a gun from the Summer Camp arc who had the unfortunate luck to facing off against Tetsutetsu Tetsutetsu.

though even with tetsu all steeled up the gunshots apparently hurt like a bastard

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

All For One being Deku's dad would be the dumbest poo poo. Dude is like ninety years old.

probably closer to 150-200

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
when he's not punching out bad guys, midoriya has a spine made out of sugar cookie. those kids would walk all over him