Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Marxalot posted:

kirbysuperstar posted:

How many crabs were there? This is important
Absolutely none. It was kind of awe inspiring.

Check out my La Theine world :ssh:

I just ported in Windurst Walls, and it works with Quest! I also re-ported in Lower Jeuno so it's now compatible with Quest as well. Going to work on getting the rest of my worlds imported as well (San d'Oria, La Theine, and Whitegate, the rest of the FFXI worlds were imported by others)

Kazy fucked around with this message at 06:46 on May 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

I think that just means it doesn't use VR hand controllers, not that it doesn't support HOTAS in VR.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Baron von der Loon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0k0SZ3ewLTY
So KatVR is going to release a VR treadmill for consumers. Have to admit that I've already made a pledge, albeit with the thought that I might still cancel it. My expectations are that it wouldn't be too ground-breaking, but this is something I'd really like to experiment with. And this seems fairly affordable. (and makes for good business expenses)

Anyone have any experience with their products?

Wasn't there one exactly like this about 5 years ago? Omni-something I wanna say. Is this just a lower-cost version of that?

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Nate405 posted:

Is something like this basically what I'm looking for to play PCVR games on a Quest? I have a USB 3.2 Type-C port open on my PC and 2 meters seems long enough for it to comfortably reach my head regardless of which way I turn at my desk.

6 feet is a bit short if you ever want to do any standing games. This is the cable I bought, though I haven't actually tested it since I use Virtual Desktop's wireless link.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Pretty sure you can directly configure the HOTAS in game if you turn the Steam remapping off.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Grashnak posted:

If I buy a game on the desktop version of the Oculus store will that give me the ability to install it onto the Quest?

I'm asking because Superhot and Fruit Ninja are both on sale on the desktop app but still full price if I look on the quest. They're games I'd like to get on sale but I don't want to have to play them tethered to my PC if I don't have to. I can't find anything on the store that tells me either way.

It depends on the game, and Superhot isn't one of the games with cross-buy.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

WirelessPillow posted:

A new cpu is going to cost you a new mobo, which means replacing ram since your ddr3 wont work with newer mobos.

basically an upgrade now will be a new pc anyway, apart from hdd, case and power

You can buy motherboards that support DDR3 still, it's what I ended up doing :v: at least as of a few years ago. I can't remember exactly what processor I have, I want to say it's a i7700k.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Facebook already has a file on you whether you use them or not. That's probably why they're so quick to lock fake accounts.

As someone who already linked accounts, this is still really lovely.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Airspace posted:

I just got an email stating that "Oculus Medium" is turning into "Medium By Adobe".

I'm starting to think Facebook just hired some new consultant who is like "Oculus isn't a recognizable brand. No one cares about the word 'Oculus', we must stuff it full of industry buzzwords'

Facebook sold off the Medium team to Adobe. Not sure what buzzwords you're talking about.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

njsykora posted:

When Fitbit bought Pebble they basically bricked every Pebble watch by shutting down the Pebble servers, I think there was legal action over that but don't think it ever went anywhere. There's plenty of precedent for tech companies bricking old devices without consequence. Buying competitors only to immediately shut them down is also super common, the head of Bigscreen said in an interview recently that Facebook basically said if they didn't get a big enough cut from their Oculus platform sales they'd just launch their own competitor and destroy them.

The Pebble team at least built something into the software that lets you redirect to third party services. Rebble is a thing.

Better example would be the North smart glasses.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Just now getting into the Linkin Park pack in Beat Saber. Am I the only one having trouble with the Hard difficulty? I can consistently beat most the main game on Hard, and I've even cleared some Expert stages, but try as I might I can't get past like .. Papercut I think. There's just sections where the flow doesn't make sense to me and I have trouble keeping up.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Owlbear Camus posted:

I honestly thought Facebook was ubiquitous enough that wouldn't be much of a dealbreaker, to the point where like hiring agencies and background checks would think it a red flag if you didn't have a profile. But I mean can't you just make a Joe Fakenamerson account and call it good?

IDK I just linked it without thinking of it because that's how 90% of poo poo works in cyberpunk hellworld anyway.

I guess I will have to figure out how it's gonna work for setting up extra profiles/libraries for the kids.

Facebook builds a profile of you even if you don't have an account. If you create a fake account, they'll know it isn't you.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Skyarb posted:

I would be more inclined to play it with 1:1 hand tracking.

Not with how that X-Wing pilot holds the throttle :v:

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You've missed the punchline; The facial-tracker is for the Vive Pro, the headset they've semi-retired, and not their illustrious darling Vive Cosmos :allears:.

Also the 3.0 Trackers are more expensive than the 2.0's, so I think they're gonna get bodied by the Tundra Labs ones if those price cheaper like they claim.

Speaking of:

https://twitter.com/OlivierJT_SU/status/1369698371959685120

Basically same price before the price hike. I kind of figured this is why they were waiting so long to announce, you don't start saving money til you buy like 5.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

sea of losers posted:

whats the best cheap/decent lens place? i used vrlenslab before but if theres something cheaper for my new script id take it

I have these from AliExpress:
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mtHwDKZ

My prescription is really strong so most other places charged a ridiculous surcharge (bringing the total over $150), these were $60 and work really well. Base price changes based on the strength of your prescription, yours might be cheaper.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

I had a pair back when it was the only option for hand tracking in VRChat, it was extremely janky. Wish I had kept them. Build quality was phenomenal though.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

kaptainkaffeine posted:

I just got an eye exam for the first time in like 2 years so I was all ready to pull the trigger on some vroptician lenses. My eyes are dogshit however (like -8.5/-9, both cyl at -3.75) and the lenses cost a cool $169. I still wanna get em, but before I do, are there any other places I should shop around at before I pull the trigger with vroptician?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33044336647.html?spm=2114.12057483.0.0.41a31a4cy7P31q

I got these since I'm at like -6. For $60 (sliding price based on strength) they work great.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Is a Quest 2 much of an upgrade over the original Quest? Been thinking about uprading.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Anyone having issues with VRChat? In the last couple of days the streaming performance has crashed hard for me. The game itself is running as smooth as butter, but over Virtual Desktop, AirLink and regular Link it is struggling to display a stable picture, and frequently shows SteamVR as it drops entirely for a brief moment. No other games are affected.

Sounds like the 11fps bug, which happens sometimes if you bring up the steamVR menu.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

There's a much cheaper pair on AliExpress, it's where I got mine and they've been great.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33044336647.html?spm=2114.12057483.0.0.41a31a4cy7P31q

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

I recently had to get a 50' ethernet cable and move the dedicated router I use for Virtual Destktop into my room. Worked fine from downstairs until a neighbor got a new router which is hogging the channel bandwidth :argh: (there's really only two channels for 80Mhz width, and my main router is on the other one).

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

I tried XS but what really threw me off is that it doesn't have touch emulation like OVR, you have to use the joysticks to scroll, etc. That was a deal breaker for me so I switched back over.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

I've tried a bunch of straps for my Quest 2, and the only one that's felt as comfortable as the original Quest strap was the DAS. I was able to pick it up for like $60 off of Amazon, plus $17 for a nice injection-molded FrankenQuest adapter.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Very highly recommended, I really enjoyed the original Quest's strap and couldn't wear the Quest 2 for more than half an hour before I got this. They make nice injection molded adapters now too.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

The Eyes Have It posted:

Does the Vive deluxe audio strap affect the Quest's audio?

The Quest as designed kind of pipes audio towards the user's ears from hidden speakers, and I like that a lot and don't want headphones. Could the DAS be used for the comfort of the strap only (and ditch the headphones?)

Someone's going to bitch at me for this so I'll say up front I use hearing aids and the piped audio from the Quest (or the off-ear speakers of the Index) are beautiful in their compatibility with my hearing aids so I don't want to lose that. I can't use headphones that cup over my ears, they make my hearing aids freak out and it's hella uncomfortable.

You can't remove the headphones but you can angle them back pretty far to get them out of the way. Basically like folding them back out of the way. Otherwise you might need to zip tie the wire up if you don't want it dangling.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

BillBear posted:

I'm looking at getting back into the game properly with the Quest 2, what's the glasses frame thing like to use? I hated the fact I needed to spend money on prescription lens to properly enjoy VR on the CV1 because my eyesight is pretty poo poo at -5.25 for my right and -6.0 for my left eye.

Also, I've never tried horror fully in VR post DK1, is there any legit great and terrifying experiences - preferably not centered around jumpscares - yet for horror, because Dreadhalls still being mentioned as the big name when I do a casual search is kinda sad considering its been around since the DK1 era and honestly looks exactly the same as it did then. Not that it looks crap or anything, just really old now. On that note, how bad are jumpscares in VR compared to flatscreens?

I have a similarly strong prescription to yours, and I got these headset lenses for around ~$60 vs the $150+ other options were.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

It's also 45GB on Quest!
https://www.androidcentral.com/medal-honor-above-and-beyond-quest-2

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Alyx's biggest failing for me is that the guns felt like pea shooters. I played on Easy and I still felt like they did no damage and was always out of ammo because everything took so many shots to kill.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Turin Turambar posted:

Seeing again the Beat Saber teaser
https://twitter.com/BeatSaber/status/1453776448431575042

I missed yesterday the 'level up' part. So that together the cosmetic saber, I guess they will announce a Battle Pass with cosmetics and progression.

Y'all see a weird fantasy saber and the words "Level up!" and your first thought is "Battle Pass" and not "RPG mode"??

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Luneshot posted:

in vrchat you only have two options: you can be a furry or you can be an anime.

choose wisely

I was going to post this because it's 1000% true.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Moogs posted:

Is there any hope for wireless Virtual Desktop with a floor between the separate AP and the Quest, or does it really have to be in the same room? I'd like to avoid running cables all around the house if at all possible.

Yes, unless you are in a city and your immediate neighbor gets a new router and suddenly is taking the free channel you were using. :argh: Had to finally move my router upstairs.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Rolo posted:

Hey I took a break from my Quest 2 for a year or so after formatting my computer and becoming lazy but I’m ready to jump back in and maybe finally finish Alex.

In 2022 do I need to install virtual desktop and all that stuff to get good wireless VR going or has Air Link officially removed the need?

Anything else cool or terrible happen to the platform while I was gone?

For what it's worth, Virtual Desktop now supports wireless streaming out of the box without having to mess around with SideQuest. I haven't tried Air Link yet but I hear it's serviceable.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

DAS is a great strap. Especially now that there are proper injection molded adapters for like $15 instead of having to use janky 3D printed ones.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Shemp the Stooge posted:

I got this one off amazon.jp for the equivalent of 12 USD https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/gp/product/B094V6CS97/

I see them on amazon.com too but not quite that cheap - https://www.amazon.com//dp/B093BQ688H/ The same thing is listed under lots of names cheaper is possible.

Really happy with it so far, feels solid

The second one is indeed the set I have. Was $16 when I got it, but $20 isn't too bad considering how niche they are.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

It's 100% down to the fact that it's on Quest. Kids get a Quest from their parents who don't do any research, then they go into VRC unsupervised.

VRchat actually has flags in its API to mark NSFW stuff, but they're not even used for anything. They really need to have the option to age gate worlds.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

I played ActiveWorlds back in the late 90s and early 00s, so VRChat is a dream come true for me :v:

AW is still around but they haven't implemented VR yet.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Harminoff posted:

I was big into active worlds, I wonder if there is a way to find my old builds?

http://aw.softstar.se/property/

There is!

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

I know you said it's not interference, I take it you checked with a wifi analyzer app?

The same thing happened to me and it turned out one of my neighbors got a new router that overlapped my network. I ended up having to get a dedicated router and putting it in the same room as my headset.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

I believe if you have a decent enough cable, it will charge, but I just use a battery pack strapped to the back of the headset so I get like 8 hours after a charge while streaming wirelessly with Virtual Desktop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Do the tundra packs use the same pins as the HTC trackers?

https://www.midnighttech.dev/products

I don't use these myself, but I would if I had known about them before buying my Rebuff battery packs.

I also ordered my track straps off of AliExpress, $15 is a lot more affordable. Also keep in mind the elastic will wear out over time so the Track strap Plus isn't a good investment imo