Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Just picked up a Quest 2 and holy poo poo, this is unbelievable! Echo VR is mind blowing, and Until You Fall is probably the most fun I've ever had. The choice to model your whole body and shadow, and make you walk to the beat of the music was just :discourse:

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jun 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Until You Fall I think perfectly captures the fun and thrill of VR while being relatively simple and approachable.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
How Skyrim VR is a pain in the rear end to mod

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

boloney posted:

I just bought it - do you have that list of mods handy?

Yeah, same. Wabbajack seems like a lot, I just want to try it with plaank and other base functionality mods

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Wabbajack is confusing me. It's asking for a download location and an install location, and the directions aren't very clear.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Piell posted:

They can just be the same location

I'm just not clear on what that means. Is it a separate file that you download it all into, and then copy over to your skyrim directory?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Piell posted:

It will download the mods into the downloads folder and then install them into the install folder. Unless you're going between SSD/regular hard drive and are limited in space there's no real reason to make them different locations. Also once you start the download it should pop up a site that walks you through everything, assuming you use one of the big packs. (Here's the Skyrim FUS one and the Fallout VR Essentials Overhaul for example )

Is the install site not the actual game location?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Just picked up Into The Radius and God drat this is the most immersive poo poo. What a joy it is.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

picked up into the radius. I am not necessarily a survival horror person by nature. Any tips for starting out?

It's less horror and more survival. You're very capable of dealing with threats, especially as your gear improves.

Be sure to calibrate your height and, most importantly, arm length. The game is pretty specific about where you move your hands, and you also have arm slots for small items (flashlight and knife for me).

Food and drink all do the same thing, restore max stamina. Each one just does different amounts; the game doesn't track hunger and thirst individually.

Monsters can see a pretty realistic distance away and will spot you in the open from half a map away.

Spawn (tentacle spiders) are really annoying until you realize that they are stunned for a few seconds after a missed jump, you can pretty easily sidestep that jump, and they die to two knife hits.

Sell loot items by throwing them into the shop bin.

Artifacts don't usually spawn IN anomalies, but rather in the spaces between clusters of them.

You can reverse grip with a flashlight by pressing B or something to do this:

Preparing for a run is half the game. Enjoy the tedium of loading magazines and organizing gear.

Weapons can only be manually repaired by cleaning if they are orange and above. Anything in the red needs to be repaired in the train car for money.

You have two longarm slots: over your right shoulder, and strapped to the side of your pack. You can't access the pack one without pulling the pack off first.

Your pack will automatically return to your back if you move away.

The base is completely safe at all times no matter how spooky it looks, especially at night.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jul 4, 2022

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Piell posted:

If you stick a lit up flashlight in your pouch on your left side it will keep working and free up a hand to do MGS-style knife gun tactics

You can also find lamps that light up in front of you when on a chest slot, and head lamps. There's also gun flashlights later and an artifact that gives you night vision.

Knives are also super loving fragile and will deteriorate rapidly if you use them to pop fragment orbs.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Turin Turambar posted:

An advice if you believe you are in the segment target for a game like The Last Clockwinder: the game needs a good amount of space, despite having the usual artificial locomotion, you are constantly throwing or catching stuff or stretching yourself to push a lever, etc so the game can be a 'boundaryfest'.

Not having high ceilings in my new apartment has led me to stop playing Echo VR because holy poo poo I've punched the ceiling twice

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Hyperlynx posted:

Pretty much. I've mostly played games where you can grip with two hands but the game doesn't give you any accuracy plusses for doing so, or ones where there's no two-handing at all.

Personally I dislike being made to pretend I'm holding a rifle when I'm not. It doesn't feel good, there's no ergonomics. There's no actual stock to press into my shoulder and there's no actual barrel to steady. My off-arm gets tired pretty quickly.

There's trying to imitate reality, and then there's making concessions for the limitations of the medium.

I've had the opposite experience. I find it far more immersive and enjoyable to have to mimic the actions of holding a rifle, and the extra mobility that comes with being able to adjust your aim with either hand. Some games may not execute it that well, but others are outstanding. Contractors comes to mind as a great implementation of it.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I found that simply walking in place while using stick locomotion eliminates all sense of nausea.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
This is the second save file in Into the Radius where distance grabbing has just stopped. No ui element, no functionality, just gone. Loafing previous saves doesn't fix it, its just gone from that save file.

Anybody know what the hell?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I just played around with the update and the new gravity spells are FUN AS poo poo. In slow-mo everything physics related is more powerful, so the launch jump sends you super far and the hover jets are powerful. I finished a wave by clearing a jump between both sides of the Ruins upper level and pulling my spear from my back to dragoon a dude. The enemy fights better too, much more fluid. They can even sort of parry now!

On the subject of creative violence, one of my most :black101: moments was when I ducked under a guy's swing and grabbed him, slit his throat and then threw his body into an oncoming duo, knocking them down. Just felt so assassin's creed or something

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jul 11, 2022

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

explosivo posted:

I bought B&S tonight and kinda struggled through the tutorial and then had no fuckin clue how to do anything once in the home area. After wandering around aimlessly for a while I finally saw the board by the dock and tried the arena out. Fun stuff, but I think I need to spend some more time with it as it's late and I have to work tomorrow. I did get one particularly gnarly kill with a sword that went like through their hand and into their neck and it was visceral enough to make me exclaim "holy poo poo!" in real life.

Yeah the first couple times I played it I got queasy and I don't think it was entirely motion sickness.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

marumaru posted:

the biggest drawback of B&S imo is that there's still no progression. they have been making a lot more progress with it lately (what with the release of Dungeons and equipabble armor) but it's still a bit lame. it'd be a fantastic game to just have the same gameplay loop as Exanima but in first person VR

They are working on that though, so hopefully it's soon

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

explosivo posted:

I played a bit more B&S tonight but I'm just not feeling it. I think the issue is that while the weapons and magic fx and animations all look very nice you're still waggling around a fake VR sword in combat and none of it really feels particularly satisfying to me. I think it's partially the way the enemies react to getting hit, like most of the time it feels like you're fighting a ragdoll. Standing there holding someone's head and rubbing the sword back and forth on their neck trying to get it to count as a slice. I think there's something here but unlike H3VR the basic sandbox elements don't feel satisfying enough to spend a ton of time on so I'll definitely be coming back to this whenever they inject some game into that game.

Edit: Star Wars mod seems sick, hopefully that doesn't get a c&d because that could be worth it alone.

The trick is to follow the physics that are baked into the engine. If you waggle things around it feels like poo poo and will do nothing, but if you swing slower and steady to match the weight of the weapon you will see major effect. B&S is easily one of the most viscerally satisfying things I've played once I figured out the quirks.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Jack Trades posted:

Tried out the new B&S update since they updated the animation system.

The AI still doesn't know how to defend against a thrust, how to attack with a shield properly, or how to not horribly overextend on every single attack but it's still a MAJOR improvement over what they had before.
Hopefully they'll keep polishing it.

Yeah it's way way better. Dual wielders have gotten good at dealing with thrusts actually, they will use both weapons to deflect center if mass stabs. I did a dungeon run last night with rapier and dagger and had to really focus to get through it. It was way more fun than it has been.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Blade and Sorcery is half decent for stealth now too, you can even silently kill people by covering their mouth / slashing their throat and you have to carefully let the body down if they're armoured or they'll make a noise.

I've found it easier to just stab them in the head or neck instead, slashing throats is trickier due to th-

quote:

Talking about that game really does sound a bit psychotic huh

Yep

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Not really answering your question, but Airlink is really bad. The Virtual Desktop app is 100 times better for wireless game streaming.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

FlowerRhythmREMIX posted:

Are wired headphones not an option here?

ChocNitty posted:

if I plug in a headset I get a stupid volume too high warning and the volume level gets restricted. I tried doing a fix using sidequest but it still happens.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Glagha posted:

So I've been playing Into The Radius and enjoying it but I'm wondering since I couldn't find a clear answer on my brief search: how complete is this game? Early access stuff is always a crapshoot so I just need to find out if like half the game is missing or something

The story is complete, the EA is working on bugs and expanded content. I've been playing it for weeks and can't put it down.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Soonmot posted:

So what would a midtier desktop look like if i wanted a machine to do pcvr? How portable could it be too? I like to bring the quest out to the garage for a bigger play area.

I use a $1200 laptop and it works perfectly. Not super helpful I know, just saying it doesn't take a hell of a lot of juice.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
To be fair, Alyx on low settings still looks fuckin incredible

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Sefal posted:

Anything cool to grab on this steam vr sale?
Got alyx, boneworks, walking dead saints, pavlov vr and beat saber

hear skyrim vr is pretty good if you install mods

Pistolwhip is great. Into the Radius is basically Stalker VR and rules. Until You Fall is good.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

genericnick posted:

How is Red Matter?

Haven't played it, but from what I hear it's good.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

The whole Skyrim mod thing is fantastic but can take a little while to set up (though it is automated.)
It's a game-changer and absolutely worth it.

Pick up Blade & Sorcery. Currently the best melee combat around.

The best "complex" melee combat. Until You Fall is also very good and fun, but in a totally different way.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Agent355 posted:

Okay so hooking up a quest to a PC for steam games:

I know I can plug it in via cable, or hook up by putting both the PC and the quest on the wireless. A couple of questions tho.

Does any 3.1 usb A to usb C work or do is there some proprietary horseshit that makes the more expensive oculus branded one required?

For the wireless option:

I'm not a madman so my PC is wired into the router, but I guess all I need is to have the wireless router in the first place and the quest can hook up through that with no more issues? I know wireless is always going to have some degree of delay that a cable wouldn't but does it work out fine for most games that aren't too finicky? Like I'd imagine the precision needed for a rhythm game like beat saber might matter, but do most of y'all just use the wireless function?

I play rhythm games and competitive online shooters over wireless with no issue

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Just finished Alyx and holy moly what an experience that was. I had little trouble with the turret and energy blasts, thanks to the insight above.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I read a thing about how programming a visible nose alleviated most motion sickness in test subjects. I gave them a sense of physical anchoring or something.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Oxyclean posted:

Thanks for the responses, I think I'm sold on the Quest 2.

My friend was saying it doesn't charge as fast as it drains with most usb 3.0 or something? I'm probably gonna be running out to grab a headset from BestBuy today or tomorrow, debating seeing about buying a long USB 3.0 because I'm unclear if my wifi will be fast enough / or to have the option to be tethered without being right beside my PC.

Is this something easier to do with the Kiwi Strap? Any recommendations for the backup battery?

If your wifi is anything above 500mbps your wireless experience will be as good as wired

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Oxyclean posted:

lol I already got a friend offering me a referral link, sorry! But yeah no kidding on the price hike. Might run down to bestbuy after work to grab one.

I don't have super high expectations for the 1070 but the flexibility to upgrade in the future is always good.

Also what's the account situation these days? I was hearing some news that they're introducing quest accounts or something, so while you need an account with them, it doesn't have to be your literal facebook real name account or something? (Not that you couldn't already make an empty facebook, but i heard that came with risks?)

e: lol beaten

So this thing should be good as long as I use 5G?

Yup that will be more than good enough.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Just make a burner account with a temp email address

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
If you care that much, then don't buy a Quest 2. Either go without or get another unit.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Just getting tired of all the "I hate Meta and want them to fail and make no money, but I'm still going to buy their product because it's affordable" poo poo. But their stuff if you want to, have fun with it. Or don't, go without this one particular entertainment novelty and satisfy your conscience. Nobody needs to preface their purchase with a disclaimer about their feelings on Meta, and you not buying one of these isn't going to do anything to effect them at all.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jul 28, 2022

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Agent355 posted:

Okay boomer.

:jerkbag:

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Humble Bundle with 7 VR games, all of them apparently great. Contractors and Into the Radius alone are worth $20.

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/...tm_medium=email

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I couldn't get into VTOL, everything felt too sensitive and also not sensitive enough, it was weird. ItR is loving excellent though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Son of Rodney posted:

What's the deal with VTOL? Seems like an average flight simulator, is there something making it stick out? The bundle looks great but i have contractors already and I'm not sure if I just want into the radius for that price.

It's a well made VR flight sim, that's basically it. ItR is absolutely worth the price though.