Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won
only put like 2-3 hours into it so far but Asgard's Wrath is extremely impressive. Good rear end game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won
i hope you don't need knuckles to play the new half life

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won
from the talk someone linked a few pages ago, the valve dev sorta implied that the HLVR game will support multiple VR devices and also multiple locomotion methods

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won
Dropping by to say Until You Fall is probably the best sword fighting VR game I've played. It's really excellent and actually feels like a fun video game rather than a sandbox.

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won
Boneworks is really great. I've never really played a VR game for more than 30-45 minutes straight but I was able to stay engaged with Boneworks for several hours with a few quick breaks. Haven't really had any motion sickness issues despite the extended playtime.

The game is super immersive and the physics are a ton of fun to dick around with. My biggest complaints that I'm sure have been echoed several times are a) not being able to save mid-scene (insanely stupid), and b) the climbing, particularly lifting my body over an edge, is so loving janky and feels nearly impossible. Game still rules tho.

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won

Jack Trades posted:

Use virtual crouching IN ADDITION to your real crouching to climb 2-3 meters tall ledges. That trick makes climbing real smooth and easy. I'm pretty sure that's the intended way.

I've been playing in seated mode (which the game recommends) so am I just screwed?

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won

ShadowHawk posted:

Played the first real level of Boneworks. It took me two hours during which I couldn't save.

And at the end I forgot to put my guns in that stupid recycling thing.

My favourite part about the save thing is that when I take my headset off and leave my computer for a few hours without closing Boneworks, the game (or SteamVR?) will helpfully crash and discard all my progress lol

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won
Boneworks is really good and it makes me think HL:A is going to be incredible

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won

Lemming posted:

In the video, you can't climb ladders, only teleport up and down, and you don't holster your guns, you press a button and a floating UI appears

It's not looking good

After that end sequence of Boneworks I don't think I ever want to climb a ladder in VR again

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won
I fell twice

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won

EbolaIvory posted:

Yeah I don't honestly understand the belt hate. They work fine for me in pretty much everything? I mean the only complaint I have with boneworks is it like, goes "somewhere" when you crouch and I can never find it. But to be fair thats IK related and yeah. no other game gives me that issue.

Onward, Etc, All feel fine to blind grab things from it.

IMO just steal Stand Outs inventory system and use it on everything.

Did you play Boneworks standing up? I played through sitting down, and the holster mechanics were really finicky and garbage to use, so I switched to exclusively using the menu. The menu loadout had its own set of issues (like getting obscured by the environment or having funky snapping), but it was workable.

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won

DoubleT2172 posted:

From what I've heard that's correct

Lmao for real? gently caress me

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won
The rift S owns and probably has the best price:performance ratio in the VR space if you have a good gaming PC in a relatively spacious room. I really hope Oculus doesn't totally exit the PCVR space, their tech is great

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won
my rift S recently started to prompt me to set up my guardian every single time I boot up the oculus app. it only takes like 30 seconds to do, but it's pretty annoying. anyone else having this issue/know how to fix it?

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won

this was a pretty interesting watch. Had no idea Gabe had gone so deep down the brain-computer interface rabbit hole. It's hard for me to imagine anything actually coming of it (pre-order the valve brain-jack now!! ) but it's cool that he's been tinkering in that field.

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won
1) half life alyx is incredible

2) does anyone know how to get the oculus rift s and steam VR to play nice? i get these weird jitters occasionally while I'm playing steam games that I never get while playing oculus native stuff

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won

Turin Turambar posted:

Be sure you don't supersample in both Oculus and SteamVR, as the effect will be multiplicative.

Huh this seems to have helped a bit, thanks. I also set the CPU priority to high for the exe in OTT.

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won

Bad Munki posted:

Oh poo poo, I'm on a 1070. I guess we'll see, and if need be, I get to order a Corona Special

im on a 1070 as well with a kinda lovely CPU and im running on medium settings without any major issues.

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won

Taintrunner posted:

Goddamn Alyx loving owns oh my lord I just need smooth turning and I’m set

And then I get to the second level and it’s called QUARANTINE ZONE and I had to take a break

the little dialogue about the etymology of 'quarantine' and its italian origins.... mama mia :kiss:

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

There are a whole bunch of people in the Steam thread and the half life thread who clearly think using a VR HMD is basically just a giant 2D screen in a dark room and it’s infuriating.

they are very dumb

GlyphGryph posted:

They didn't do body pouches/holsters because over the shoulder is the only body position accessible to sitting play. They went hard on accessibility for the control scheme, and that limited some of their design choices.

I was impressed by the accessibility stuff they had available, but I couldn't find anything that enabled a seated mode? I tried to sit down but I was just super short in the game world. Is it a SteamVR enabled thing?

anyway, as an aside, all of the holster systems I've encountered in VR games so far have been janky as hell, I'm glad they didn't go with that approach here

edit: it's "Height Adjust: Stand" in accessibility options

punished milkman fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Mar 24, 2020

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won
Until You Fall probably has my favourite VR melee combat. Boneworks was cool but it really was jank as all hell. Until You Fall leans away from the weird meat physics approach and goes for a more video gamey arcade feel with directional indicators for where you should swing/block, and your weapon passes through enemies when done correctly

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won
actually holster systems suck balls and feel bad

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won

Brownie posted:

How are people finding Half Life Alyx in terms of performance? I just recently upgraded from a 1060 to a 2070 Super and am a bit dissapointed by how little of an improvement I saw. I'm still not able to get a consistent frame rate, and sometime frame times seems to oscillate wildly between 7ms and 13ms. However my CPU and GPU load never reaches 100%, my VRAM and RAM always have gigs to spare, etc. The game also defaults to low settings, which surprises me.

I'm not super familiar with SteamVR or the valve index, so are there some obvious settings I'm missing that would help me get expected performance? I'm worried its my 4 year old CPU but honestly load never goes higher than 70% except at loading screens.

My specs:
Nvidia 2070 Super 8GB
Intel i5 6600K
16GB of DDR3 @ 2133HZ

i have the i5 6600 and I was also experiencing performance issues. it's definitely your CPU that is the bottleneck. currently waiting on a new motherboard and ryzen 3600 in the mail :woop:

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won

Neddy Seagoon posted:

like tunnel vision for fast smooth locomotion,

I do find this omission kind of interesting, given that a lot VR games seem to have decided this is a good feature. I can't say I was missing it at all while playing HL:A, but I wonder if it would help some people. Maybe Valve's internal testing showed it to be useless for most people or something.

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Cards are not cards when it comes to VR for sure

it's true, but something like a 1070 which came out 4 years ago can still run just about anything you throw at it. admittedly it was an expensive card in 2016 and is still probably expensive

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won

really appreciated the disgusting sweaty palmed gamer demonstration. they should have applied some frito detritus and sticky bawls residue for a more robust research demonstration

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won
was thinking about grabbing star wars squadrons, but then remembered the weird framerate issues with VR i read about a few weeks ago. have they fixed that nonsense yet?

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won

Nice, see through mode and the guardian system from Oculus. Great features to rip off

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won
Excited to engage with my friends and family on The Platform

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won
Lmao at Novartis getting scammed into using the metaverse to look at 3D molecules or whatever dumb nonsense they just showed

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won

Turin Turambar posted:

Carmack is explaining right now why dynamic foveated rendering is a pipe dream, for now. :(

huh, i thought psvr2 managed to pull this off?

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won
i’m getting a psvr2. i also have an oculus rift s, but it’s attached to my gaming pc in the basement and i kind of hate the jank rear end experience that is managing steam vr + oculus + drivers + everything else. having something that is a) convenient and in my living room and b) not a janky piece of poo poo is very compelling to me.

the eye tracking + foveated rendering feature on psvr2 is mind blowing to me. i want to watch every bit of tech reporting on this. when this was first announced, i thought sony was straight up lying, but here we are and it’s real. i wonder what kind of API sony is providing the developers, like can they tweak the level of rendering reduction in the periphery? is it just resolution that can be changed? at what point does the change in rendering become visible to the player when moving their eyes? the timing is all so fast, it’s just fascinating that they pulled this off.

are there any other headsets doing foveated rendering at this level?

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Is it only Horizon that does it, or is it all games?

i thought this was just something that happens with 60 fps games, since the only supported hz on psvr2 are 90 and 120. so any game that targets 60 fps instead of 90 or 120 will use whatever crazy reprojection magic to interpolate frames and effectively double the frame rate from 60 to 120 (with artifacting).

i’m not sure at what level reprojection is implemented, my guess is that it’s a hardware level thing done on sony’s end and not up to the individual game developer to implement.

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won

I said come in! posted:

What is the website again that has been goon recommended for custom VR lenses for those of us who have glasses? I need to watch them like a hawk for when they get PSVR2 lenses available.

if you’re in North America, Reloptix has a magnetic setup available for pre-order. don’t remember the European brand name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won

EbolaIvory posted:

I see influencers who got free poo poo talking how great it is, and amazing etc.

I see non influencers who PAID for it, have complaints, regularly.

Sony did a good job buying people off thats for sure. The pokeballs they are sending influencers are dope.

can confirm i am a paid shill and the headset is actually legitimately good