Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

veni veni veni posted:

I’ve only gotten that in the first few seconds of a mission. I’m actually surprised how good it runs on my 1070

Same. I was really worried my 1060 couldnt handle the VR but its totally playable at a mix of medium/low and sampling up to 130%. Occasional jitters and some ghosting but its fine and such a blast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Its really weird that people are having such bad issues with the VR because I have barely the minimum specs with a 1060/i7-6700k and Im playing just fine on low/medium settings with 130% SS and a Thrustmaster Hotas X.

Its a shame because Im having a god drat great time. Im not a flight/space sim enthusiast beyond playing the OG games when I was a kid so maybe I dont have a huge frame reference but Squadrons is some of the most fun Ive had in VR ever and Ive had a CV1 since launch.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

bloodysabbath posted:

Cross post from the SW:SQ thread, but I’m running an Oculus Quest on the PC using link and Steam VR and it is the most frustrating poo poo.

Inevitably, after a while, this game starts to stutter. Not a *ton,* but frequently enough that it messes with the experience.

This shouldn’t happen, I’m running a 2080ti. Is the game that hosed or am I missing something super obvious and/or obscure?

It seemingly totally random as to who it works for as there are a bunch of people including me who it is running absolutely fine for.

Im below the minimum specs(1060/i7 6700k) and it runs fine for me despite the occasional stutter and I am having an absolute blast.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Still rockin the CV1 babeh

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Demeo is god drat WONDERFUL

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Ori games + Vorpx + Virtual Desktop on Quest 3 really is something else. It makes the games feel like they were made for 3D, it looks so good.

Baldurs Gate 3 is also surprisingly great with Vorpx so far. Dialogue its ok but in game its pretty good.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Is AirLink totally messed up for anyone else? I picked up a 4090 recently wanted to do some VD vs AirLink comparisons for the hell of it now that I can use the AV1 codec on my Quest 3 and AirLink is completely unusable.

Had the issue before I got my GPU upgrade and it still persists so not sure whats going on.

A few of my VR buds are having the exact same issue and we have no idea whats going on. Not a big deal as I use VD but just curious to see if anyone else is experiencing this.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Bondematt posted:

Airlink has been great for me, and the only way I can play Tabor. VD still has stuttering issues in that game.

Edit: For reference, running a 4090 and 5800x3d

Huh, Ill need to do some troubleshooting. Its basically acting as if I have it streaming at an absurdly high resolution and bitrate so its just unusable, yet I can see my airlink settings are all low.

Also gave Steam Link a whirl and while I wish it had the clarity/resolution of VDs Godlike preset(will need to dial in steamvrs settings to match), its compression seems much better than anything Ive gotten out of VD. I have some test saves through various games I use with areas that really show compression artifacting and Im getting virtually zero with SL vs some in VD.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

ChocNitty posted:

That's gotta suck to spend that kinda coin on a gpu and have issues.

Make sure you aren't dealing with 5ghz Wifi traffic if you're not using a Wifi 6 router. If you have more than a dozen SSID's around you, that could be the situation, as it was for me.

I havent used AirLink in a long long time so its not a big deal luckily.

Thankfully everything outside of AirLink performs like an absolute dream and my 4090 is giving me the high fidelity VR Ive wanted since I built my original GTX 970 VR rig n 2016, so coin well invested.

Ill look into the wifi 6/5ghz stuff. Definitely something weird happening.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I somewhat identified the issue with my AirLink, it was definitely an issue where ODT was set too high for my Link Cable and it was breaking AirLink.

But....it wasnt even set that high, not even close to the res and bitrate I have for VD so theres something else going. Just generally very bad performance.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Gamepass XCloud is out today. Its fine but the quality and fps isnt ideal for AAA titles, probably better suited for smaller games.

The latency is rough though, bluetooth controller + streaming latency combined makes fast paced games nearly impossible to enjoy.

I hope Geforce Now gets a native Quest app someday.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Bad Munki posted:

God drat the passthrough on the Q3 really is something. I’m coming from an Index so the bar is low, but still. That zero moment when I put it on and it felt like I was just looking straight through from the get-go was really something. Peaking around the edge and the passthrough view perfectly matched the actual view.

The little MR blobby shooter was pretty neat.

Its just loving cool. Like is it a bit grainey and sort of early smart phone video quality? Sure. Will it have a ton of applications outside of enterprise stuff? Probably not right now.

But just to have that tech available, at all, in your home at the quality we have it for that price is just awesome.

I always fold laundry and watch youtube in MR and I always have a moment where I just kind of stop and have to absorb the "future" moment Im living.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

ChocNitty posted:

I had the same reaction when I checked out passthrough pr0n.

I also watched a VR vid of a chick going down on me, while my gf was doing it for real.

Then I played Puzzling Places.

Full-body tracking + VaM with passthrough + IRL person and were closer to that scene from Blade Runner 2049 than most realize :agesilaus:

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Yeah its unfortunate as hell Meta are the ones leading the industry but that video where they showed off all the R&D headsets pushing different types of zeniths with fidelity really hammered how we are also simultaneously very fortunate a company like Meta is able to dump all this dough into all the R&D and pushing all the imaging science for, what seems like, the sheer joy of discovery of it all vs just the corporate interests.

Its kind of crazy its truly the only thing Meta does that feels like it isnt a company that is just cynically exploiting data for profit. Its a strange dichotomy.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Asgards Wrath 1 is excellent and Im close to finishing it for the first time but hearing that AW2 allows for more offensive combat vs always waiting to parry the power attacks to break armor makes so so happy because its honestly my only problem with the first game. Its not so bad for small enemies but it is a dreadfully boring mechanic for the miniboss fights.

AccountSupervisor fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Dec 30, 2023

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Kwolok posted:

I've heard that the bobo vr quest 3 m3 head strap is the best head strap but has some sort of battery issue. Has anyone here used it and have thoughts?

Its great. M2 batteries dont quite keep up with the power draw of the Q3 but its really not a big deal if you have a few or dont need more than extra hour or so from your sessions.

Ive gone through about 3 or 4 different types of straps for my Quests and the Bobo is by far the best Ive used.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Did a pretty cool experiment recently with some wonderful results.

VR is the only consumer device capable of displaying High Frame Rate 4K 3D movies like the theatrical release of Avatar 2.

I have some fairly advanced software called TopazAI you can use to convert frame rates, either for slow mo or interpolation. Think a way way way better version of what the awful motion smoothing does on TVs.

I converted my high quality Avatar 2 3D bluray rip to 60fps and it is incredible. I watch a ton of 3D movies with my friends in VR and its remarkable how good HFR 3D looks in VR. The clarity it provides for motion blur is crazy.

I saw Avatar 2 in HFR several times in theaters and Im not going to lie, I think my conversion beats it. The variable frame rate stuff Cameron chose to do was weird and I think a consistent HFR experience is way better.

I also went and converted a few test scenes from animated movies like How to Train Your Dragon and the results are so amazing I might end up converting a large portion of my 3D blurays to this format.

The only problem being this is going to require several new harddrives, a movie like Way of Water in 60fps 4K 3D will end up being a few hundred gigs from a raw BD source.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Kwolok posted:

Do you like the headset? Have you tried the standard elite strap to compare it to?

Its much better than the elite strap or any similar design. The way the Bobo distributes weight and has the headset more "hanging" in place vs pressing against your face and back of head is immensely more comfortable.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Kwolok posted:

Bobo definitely seems cool but I worry the headset itself will shift more since it isn't really "clamped on" even though it'll be more comfortable

You can clamp it tight if you wish for the same effect as any other purely "clamp" based headstrap. I play very active VR games with the Bobo without any issue.

Id argue even in its looser tightness its as secure as any other clamp headset. The halo strap keeps it secure but with the pressure focused more on the top of your head vs face.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Just completed the first mission of Aliens Fireteam Elite in UEVR using the 6DOF profile and my god what a blast. This game would be so incredible with a fully optimized VR version

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

The Eyes Have It posted:

That sounds amazing. I haven't looked into UEVR yet (it's on my todo list) -- are you streaming it wirelessly over steam link, virtual desktop, etc?

Streaming via Virtual Desktop!

Pretty decent performance as well with most settings tuned down or off. It runs butter in corridors but starts to drop frames whenever you get into more open areas and mobs increase(with a 4090 and a 10900k)

Its just sort of stunning to hit a button and watch a flat game magically transform into VR so seamlessly. Vorpx has always been neat and Ive used it a ton, but UEVR is just leagues better.

AccountSupervisor fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jan 5, 2024

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Well Hi-Fi Rush is god drat stunning with UEVR. Runs essentially perfect at max settings out of the box.

This art style is absolutely perfect for VR too. Very Spiderverse-esque and that movie was great in 3D.

I will absolutely be playing this one all the way through, Im glad I havent played it yet.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

A Cup of Ramen posted:

Wait how does the camera work out in this? Is it like a Moss deal or does it force in a first person pov?

Moss and Chronos are the best comparisons.

The camera controls can be a liiiitle dizzying from time to time but Ive found it getting less and less as I get more used to using my head to look around.

The in-engine cutscenes also look really loving cool. Can be a bit jarring when the cuts get quick and you do get to hilariously see an almost dev perspective of things that are typically left out of frame in flat perspective.

Heres a video I recorded:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8K0qY5Wj3w

AccountSupervisor fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jan 7, 2024

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I dont think I was prepared for how much of an intense and thrilling blast Dungeons of Eternity is. Easily the best co-op experience Ive ever had in VR.

Very excited to see how the game grows.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Al! posted:

ok ive started to really warm up to asgard's wrath 2. i honestly didnt get very far in the first one because i disliked the rote "wait for the enemy to use their special attack then parry it to remove their armor, otherwise they cant be damaged" stuff. the combat in aw2 feels a hell of a lot more dynamic, plus you can damage the blue armor, the enemy just doesnt flinch until their armor is broken. its a much more enjoyable system.

This honestly killed the last 3rd of the game for me for AW1. I was fine with the system for a bit but it just got so tedious and such a pace killer as I got further and further. I think once I started fighting bigger bosses it really wore on me and I ended up turning it off for the last two Sagas and just choppin through everything.

Very happy to see that thats one of the bigger changes between 1 and 2.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Well poo poo that absolutely explains so much about the weird tracking errors I get whenever I set my controllers down to watch a movie.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Koramei posted:

I've been using VR headsets for like 4 years and even in that time it's insane how much the tech has moved forward from uncomfortable gamer gear with insane screen door that needs an understanding of controllers and substantial prep to setup the space to near perfectly crisp wireless displays with next to no setup that make use of intuitive hand interactions. I think most of VR's reputation problem is that it started out promising the world but everything about it kind of sucked a bit and everyone only sort of interested just wrote it off. And hates Meta. Apple can reset the clock a here and show people how far the stuff has come.

I started off VR on a drat Google Cardboard and used the hell out of my GearVR as well. I busted out my Rift CV1 when I got my Quest 3 as a comparison and it was such a stark reminder of just how far its all come.

I do miss the OLEDs in the CV1 though

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Looking more into Vision Pro, as one of the rare 3D movie enthusiasts, it makes me happy to see theyre making 150+ 3D movies available for streaming at launch.

I truly think the only way to sustain the technology outside of the occasional theatrical 3D movie is VR and while I know there are apps that rent them, I am surprised studios didnt embrace VR more as a means of distribution.

What blows my mind even more is that Avatar has never done any sort of VR game or experience. The one movie you think would have immediately capitalized on it.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Al! posted:

can someone give me the last word on vorpx? ive heard mixed things but now that i have a computer that could reasonably run it and done some stuff with luke rods and uevr and other injectors it maybe seems like a good option?

Ive personally find its cinema mode with 3D way better than the full VR features. Its also heavily game dependent and what method it uses to render the depth. If the game can render G3D its usually great, but the depth buffer mode leaves the typical halo/ghosting effect.

For instance, it turns a game like Ori and the Blind Forest into an absolutely magical 3D gaming experience. It looks really neat for Horizon ZD. Its also the only way to play the og Tomb Raiders 2013 with its native 3D.

I thought its CP2077 VR mode was total rear end compared to Luke Ross though. I found most of the games I tried with it were cool but I wouldnt play them all the way through.

UEVR makes it seem really outdated and clunky.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I already know the medtech space will be all over the Vision Pro for training purposes. I do video work for Johnson & Johnson sometimes and have got to demo some of their surgical training VR on a Quest 2 and it was pretty cool. They are pretty full in on the tech so I can imagine something like the Vision Pro will be a huge leap for implementing the same training in the MR/AR space, which they mentioned they were pushing more towards as headsets improved.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

My home office is also my gaming room and a problem I have with this combo lately is the feeling of just being in that room from work hours until evening recreation. Recently Ive been testing out working in VR(Im a video producer/editor so having lots of screen realestate is immensely helpful) and Ive found the few days I spend at least 3 or 4 hours in my virtual office creates that seperation of work and play that makes me not feel so stuck in my office. I also just feel more focused in my VR environment at times, the closed off feeling is super nice. Its like working in a nice quiet studio.

This is a thing I think, with the improvements on friction and comfortably, that is and will be a huge selling point for VR/AR/Spatial work spaces.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

repiv posted:

the citra 3DS emulator is getting a quest-native port, with stereo display for the top screen

https://www.uploadvr.com/quest-3ds-emulator-citra-vr/

Ive been using Citra and SBS 3D in Virtual Desktop but this is amazing.

Lemming posted:

The 3D in the 3DS was super underrated, this is dope

Hell yes it was. Zelda A Link Between Worlds is still my favorite modern Zelda. Ocarina of Time 3D and Majoras Mask 3D are amazing too.

Kid Icarus Uprising would probably be incredible in VR 3D with all of the flying sequences.

3DS had some real bangers.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

BabyRyoga posted:

Been trying to Beat Saber with Quest 3 for a couple months now, and it's basically unplayable (at the 9*+ level) due to random misses caused by bad tracking. Noticed I had a bunch of Amazon Reward points sitting, so I picked up some Quest Pro controllers. I hope this fixes the issue as i've heard it does from some people deep down the Beat Saber hole, cause it's disappointing that I fail to beat scores from 3 years ago after upgrading to a headset that is superior in every conceivable way.

I have noticed this as well using Supernatural Fitness and Dungeons of Eternity. Q3 controller tracking is pretty much my only issue with the headset, its noticeabley worse for rapid arm/hand movement.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Cicero posted:

What do y'all like for Quest games for exercise that aren't explicitly fitness/sports or rhythm games?

If any have coop/multiplayer that'd be a bonus.

Until You Fall and Dungeons of Eternity.

Dungeons of Eternity is probably the single best VR co-op experience on the Quest on top of being a pretty decent cardio workout at higher levels.

I have Until You Fall as a part of a VR fitness program Im doing as its a great more game focused break from the fitness apps I use.

AccountSupervisor fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Jan 19, 2024

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

liquidplumr posted:

Which fitness apps do you use? So far I've been liking body combat, but there's not a ton of variety on it.

Supernatural mostly. The music selection is amazing, big and varied. For instance last night I did songs from bands like Echo and the Bunnymen, Depeche Mode, Bloc Party, Franz Ferdinand and TV on the Radio. I never would have expected to be working out to this music ever.

The people who map those routines do such a good job matching the genre of the music. I find myself getting into dancing groves similar to SynthRiders during the flow ones.

$10 a month can seem hard to swallow but the music selection alone explains that cost as it cannot be cheap licensing all of that stuff. And I dont see myself repeating anything anytime soon as they always seem to have new stuff added.

I have body combat as well but the music is extremely limited and not great, mapping is eh and Ill usually just immediately fall back to Supernatural and have a better time.

Ill usually just do some warmup in body combat if I do it at all, then switch to Supernatural for the real work and then usually do around 20-30min in Until You Fall or Synthriders to finish. Its the most fun and most motivated Ive been to do cardio in my entire life. The hour flys by and its just a blast.

AccountSupervisor fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jan 19, 2024

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I use Virtual Desktop on Steam for 3D movies, theres an environment that is modeled after the best IMAX theater in the world that is incredible. Absolutely massive.

The creator actually made a custom version for me per request(insanely nice gesture) where the seat position is moved to the back for more screen view. I can share it if anyones interested.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Al! posted:

what are some movies that are actually good in 3d?

Im one of the rare 3D enthusiasts so I enjoy pretty much anything in 3D and not all of these are well liked movies but Id say:

Spiderman: Into The Spider-verse
Life of Pi
Long Days Journey Into Night(chinese noir film, entire last hour is one long 3D shot and its mindblowing)
Gravity
Doctor Strange
Edge of Tomorrow
Guardians of the Galaxy Trilogy
Kubo and the Two Strings(any Laika or stop motion movie tbh)
Mad Max Fury Road
Beowulf
Ready Player One
Monsterverse Franchise(Godzilla, King of the Monsters, Skull Island and Godzilla vs Kong)
Pacific Rim
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
Dredd
Dune
Jupiter Ascending
Avengers IW + Endgame
MCU Spiderman movies
MCU movies in general tbh
Valerian
Prometheus
Rogue One
Man of Steel
Mission Impossible Fallout(a very rare 3D experience but Ive got it and its pretty cool, albeit not great quality res wise)

Im personally a big fan of the 3D remasters of Titantic, Terminator 2 and Jurassic Park as well. Hell they even converted The Last Emperor to 3D for some reason and it rocks.

Documentaries:

Pina
Cave of Forgotten Dreams
Hubble 3D
IMAX Under the Sea
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds 3D(insanely cool if youre a fan, its a straight up 3D arthouse live performance)

Literally any CGI animated film, always looks cool since native 3D rendering is easy.

But my favorites are for those:

How To Train Your Dragon Trilogy
Toy Story 1,2 and 4
Moana
Monsters Inc
Finding Nemo
Legend of Guardians: Owls of Gahoole
Lego Movie 1+2

If anyone here is interested in seeing any of these, Id be happy to host a VR watch party. I own and ripped all of these and often host movie viewings on discord with friends.

AccountSupervisor fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jan 30, 2024

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

FilthyImp posted:

Also all of the downloads/streams of 3D films are SBS because the *actual* 3D format on Blu3D isn't supported by, like, any headsets :dafuq: :suicide:

Stereoscopic Player is where its at, allows you to open the SSIF file from an .iso as a SBS, basically giving you the full resolution and bitrate.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

orange juche posted:

Fairly easily, but it requires joining a few discords.

https://discord.gg/ancientsofvrchat

This is the Ancients of VRChat discord, it's an 18+ SFW group for hanging out, no squeakers allowed. For getting into things like the clubbing scene or other things, just network. I started out with Ancients of VRChat, and then made friends there, and then followed my friends to other places, and made friends there, and now a year or two in, I have a massive grouping of contacts(Over 800 in my social menu at last count, and probably 50+ VRChat discord groups). Any given evening or day I can find something social going on that is exclusively 18+, I never see children unless they somehow sneak in, which is rare bordering on impossible. Even public admission events I go to are 18+ and squeakers get purged as soon as they mic up.

Thats not to say I don't go to worlds where minors may happen to be on occasion , but I don't interact with them at all, I'm usually there with other older people and we keep to ourselves away from them. Squeakers tend to congregate in easily searchable frontpage worlds, and public game worlds. Stay out of those worlds and your interactions with children will go way down.

Let me know your VRChat display name and I'll help you find some groups to hang out with, or at least be one of your friends you can join off randomly if you're bored.

This is cool and I might have to check it out. VRChat is the one space in VR I never got into. I tried it once back in 2016 when I first got into VR and I think it weirded me out as I had never experienced social VR before so I never bothered but Ive always admired from the outside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Oh poo poo I didnt realize Legendary Tales was hitting 1.0 on Friday 2/8.

Dungeons of Eternity is my favorite curent VR game so Im super stoked for this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33okJlOzjoA