Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Snowy posted:

I don’t know who the dike bomber is but it seems like a bad idea to give them two terms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Sinteres posted:

There's a long tradition of conservatives, even the old supposedly respectable sort, flirting with fascism while distancing themselves from Nazism, it's just something that until recently they managed to shut up about in the 21st century.

https://newrepublic.com/article/122413/national-reviews-bad-conscience

After forming National Review in 1955, Buckley’s relationship to the European right was complicated: He continued to admire Franco as a hero but drew a distinction between fascism (permissible) and outright Nazism (beyond the pale).

In 1957, Buckley declared that “General Franco is an authentic national hero.” James Burnham echoed this sentiment in a 1975 obituary declaring “Francisco Franco was our century’s most successful ruler.” This was one of two celebratory obituaries the magazine devoted to Franco. The other was written by F.R. Buckley (one of Buckley’s brothers) who sang Franco’s praises as “a Spaniard out of the heroic annals of the nation, a giant. He will be truly mourned by Spain because with all his heart and might and soul, he loved his country, and in the vast context of Spanish history, did well by it.”

Franco was a monster, but I always found it funny that when he met with Hitler, he basically spent a few hours being a smug jackass who wouldn't agree to give Hitler anything, and ol'Adolf was livid after the meeting, saying he'd "rather have three or four teeth pulled than speak with that man ever again".

For conservative writers / "thinkers", it's somewhat beneficial that fascism isn't a very coherent ideology beyond "might makes right, and gently caress you that's why", so you can kind of project all sorts of things on top of that, or try to obscure it by more traditional conservative tropes about "the deserving, good folks", "leaders of industry" or whatever else nonsense that basically says it's OK to abuse and exploit people. And usually to be a racist on top of that.

Of course one could argue that conservatism is also such a broad term that's hard to pin down what any individual conservative represents, and it doesn't exactly help that there's a lot of grifting and intentional bad faith running around making money from being awful, awful people.

These people are obviously pissed off and dangerous, but there's probably not a lot of ideology happening there, just the generic gently caress YOU, YOU'RE NOT MY REAL DAD. Ever since the Trump... Thing, journalists have been predicting that once there's a "competent" fascist on the R ticket, that's when the real trouble begins. In this case, competency probably means a slight step away from Trump and back towards Reagan, everyone's friend and jolly grandpaw, who was hideous monster behind a good PR campaign.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Scratch Monkey posted:

Antiracist Baby got the coveted "Ted Cruz bump"

The crumpz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQPF1xY9SXk

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I just remembered the Kremlin-controlled Literal White Supremacist Nazi Party ticket:

:allears:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Perhaps a bit more apropos would be

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Sadly the reality was a bit more WWE:

quote:

Abolitionist Republicans and pro-slavery Democrats initially opted for rhetorical battles to try to remedy the ideological chasm between the two parties in the mid-19th century. But on May 22, 1856, the ire directed across the aisle erupted into physical violence when Rep. Preston Brooks of South Carolina beat Massachusetts Sen. Charles Sumner unconscious with a cane.

On that fateful May afternoon, Brooks entered the Senate chamber and repeatedly bludgeoned Sumner with his gold-topped cane. The head trauma stunned Sumner, and he struggled to defend himself against the attack. Brooks levied the blows with such force that his cane eventually snapped, and while some congressmen attempted to break up the melee, others encouraged Brooks’ violence.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Since this thread has derailed into talking about plucky little Finland, how about our very own violent, anti-communist, rabid far-right movement? They changed their name into the "fatherland movement" (IKL), because that's what fascists tend to do. Now, what is curious about all of this, after all, everyone in Europe had fascist parties in the 30's, is that our future president became infamous for trying to shut down our little fascist party.

Pictured here, being an authoritarian fellow, oppressing fascists.

Making jokes with Nikita!

Now, to be fair to history, UKK was a cop. There's no excusing that.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

zoux posted:

Yeah the whole thing is precipitated on the theory that everyone is as racist as Republicans and these high-minded liberal frauds will turn into blood-and-soil fascists the second they see a black (1962) or hispanic (2022) person on the streets of their neighborhood. This only works in Europe.

The choice of example years is scary

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

zoux posted:

I didn't choose those years, conservative southern racists did.

Okay, but the Southern strategy falls between the chosen years. Though if it is a statement of intent by the racists, then fair enough.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

USPol is too big to go looking for any one article, but I recall an interview article with some Sinema handlers who, on the condition of anonymity, spilled the beans on her big plans. The tl;dr galaxy brain summation was something along the lines of "she wants to be seen as an independent thinker above the party fracas so she'll look very presidential and non-partisan when she runs for POTUS". It doesn't seem to be going very well, but on paper it seems about as good a plan as Ted Cruz had for getting into the Oval Office.

Which is to say it's a terrible, dumb-dumb plan

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Gyges posted:

Koop was Reagan/Daddy Bush. Elders was Clinton.

What's weird is that those are the only two I know. One because he was the Amish looking guy who was on TV a lot, the other because she had the gaul to say maybe masturbation is normal.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

zoux posted:

I've always been kind of surprised that there hasn't been an anti-Halloween movement among the Republican party and instead conservative news treats it like a fun tradition rather than the dark celebration of Satan that evangelicals believe it is. Probably would give them less opportunity for this nonsense I guess.

Halloween is a huge business, right? Like my stereotypical mental image is all retailers in the US stocked to the hilt with candy and cheap Halloween garbage for everyone child-adjacent to purchase. And all the drinking around Halloween and dressing up like a slutty [profession/movie star], etc. D&D and DooM 1993 weren't this kind of mega-money.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

BiggerBoat posted:

Isn't this what "big government" is basically for? Or is this supposed to be some sick burn on DeSantis?

I mean, I guess he could just go out to a few shelters in Fort Meyers and start tossing rolls of paper towels around but accepting federal help in this case seems like the move and I'm unclear on why using that aid is...supposed to be wrong?

I mean...I get that the meme is pointing out his hipocracy and what have you but you'd have to be a complete fool and an abject moron to think that federal assistance here isn't 100% in order.

Kinda hosed up that this was 10 years ago now

But anyway, the joke is that Chris squared got flak for this during the 2015-2016 primaries. Shoulda owned the libs, Chris!

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Nebrilos posted:

Quid pro Joe is pretty good. I don't know what it's supposed to refer to, though.

Washington Examiner posted:

The Trump campaign flipped the script on allegations of a "quid pro quo" between President Trump and Ukraine, instead labeling former Vice President Joe Biden as "Quid Pro Joe" and alleging the whistleblower is politically motivated.

"The Democrats are trying to DESTROY the Republican Party and all that it stands for," the Sunday email to supporters read. "In 2016, millions of hard-working Americans, like you, were called 'deplorable.' Now, the Left is calling you “DESPICABLE.” What’s really despicable is the gross double standard the corrupt Democrats are giving QUID PRO JOE."

Prior to the release of the transcript, Trump was accused of arranging a quid pro quo between himself and Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky. The president allegedly promised to provide them with the $391 million in military aid that had already been approved by Congress but was being held up in exchange for the Ukrainian president's promise to investigate Biden and his son, Hunter Biden. The transcript revealed no explicit quid pro quo agreement upon its release.

The topic of Hunter Biden's work with Burisma, a gas company based in Ukraine, had previously been investigated and no evidence of wrongdoing on his part was discovered. While vice president, however, Biden threatened to withhold U.S. aid to Ukraine if that country did not fire a prosecutor who was investigating Burisma.

"The 'whistleblower' had NO direct knowledge of the call AND he is in favor of one of the corrupt 2020 Democrats. Total political bias!" the fundraising pitch later stated. The CIA officer who filed the whistleblower complaint in August based the entirety of it recounting second- and third-hand accounts of situations and conversations, there has been no indication that the whistleblower was politically motivated. Trump and the Republican National Committee have raked in millions in fundraising since House Speaker Nancy Pelosi announced an impeachment inquiry against the president last week.

:sad: ranting, as usual

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Proust Malone posted:

Jeb Bush but swole

Please lift

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Hooty is not satanic. He's a very friendly worm demon.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

Before it was Jews (either real Jews like Leon Trotsky in the case of the 'Judeo-Bolshevism' conspiracy or entirely made up ones like in the Protocols, but they are both the same conspiracy) it was more often the Jesuits who were accused of being mastermind secret assassins running the world behind the scenes, which in reality was usually an excuse for sectarian weirdoes to indulge in anti Irish, Italian, and Hispanic prejudices.

It sort of makes sense, since back then the Church had a lot of pull among the 'commoners' and the elites (land-owners and other royalty), and all sorts of heresies and power struggles within the faith were intertwined with power interests. The Knights Templar were bad guys because they messed with cash flows, saying they tattooed crucifixes on their soles was just the backwards-B-carvings of the day. The rise of the petty bourgeoisie seems to make for fertile ground in looking for scapegoats in a new economic landscape, and "over-represented" Jews in trades and crafts works as An Other just fine. The link between Bolshevism and Judaism also has a neat coincidence of racially otherizing (in the "West") the folks who beheaded the owning class in Russia, thereby becoming the boogieboo of all of Europe.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

That has to be some kind of liberal achievement on Steam, the guy doesn't mention Hitler once

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

:orb:

But wait!

:ohdear:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

They were looking for people they figured might go against the whip. In a land of no chances, all moves are equally dumb :shrug:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

BiggerBoat posted:

Where's the beef?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3e9iWizfsm8

Some of FDR's speech sound-bytes became iconic, but did the entertainment industry of his day have ridiculous memes that he could've uttered? Television ruined politics :eng99:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

dr_rat posted:

Nixon was obviously just trying to out Dick LBJ, which I would say a futile move, but as he won the world makes no sense :shrug:

To be fair, LBJ quit because the Democratic party was falling apart and he wanted none of that. And his health was going south fast, he died right around the time his second term would've ended. :rip:, you legendary sex-pest.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Prof. Banks posted:

Why? The sea has plenty of room for them???

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

SeANMcBAY posted:

I could have sworn he’s straight up said this before.

He has!

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I'm sorry, was this the pictures thread?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

PT6A posted:

And, I mean, I fully believe trans identity is real and valid, but even if you don't, who gives a gently caress??? Just let them do whatever! Don't want a transition? Then don't get one. Don't obsess about the sexual physiology of strangers, and get on with your life, and think that they're a bunch of weird deluded perverts for all I care! They aren't, but if you need to think they are to get through the day and have sad, disappointing coitus with your bored spouse, then think that and just stay the gently caress out of their business.

The obvious answer is that it makes older white dudes feel somehow icky because it forces them to confront some ideas about gender and sexuality that they'd rather not. So we have the Sean Hannitys of the world expounding on teevee about how this is morally wrong, or what have you. It's all awful and bad, as you say, but there is and I'm afraid always will be a segment of the population who will be obsessed with the lives of others.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Glah posted:

Probably the same thought process you see from some extreme fundies asking non-religious people 'what stops you from murdering people if there aren't commands from God forbidding it?' These people are incapable of seeing human relations in any other way than through their twisted desires and are extremely confused when confronted with 'what the gently caress is wrong with you?' question after their totally hypothetical scenario.

Quoting this because it's a helpful step-stone, but I agree with everything EoRaptor said too; we all like to think we're moral human beings, right? I am an atheist myself, but that's not really here or there, I just try to behave in a way that doesn't injure anyone, call anyone names, anything like that. We're all people, and we all have the same rights (as it were) to express ourselves, and to be ourselves, and that is great.

The need to belittle others, to lord over them, their reproductive rights or their gender expression, is a form of violence that should not be tolerated. Never mind the paradox of intolerance or whatever, those kinds of thoughts should not exist in polite society. Or impolite, for that matter. Just let people be who they are, and that should be the end of that.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I live in Finland too and I've had health care workers ask me about drinking and smoking, and so forth. Is this some kind of weird Turku joke?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I do, but that doesn't mean people don't ask when it's warranted, which was your original assertion about Finland in general.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

You don't really know a 100% of the time if someone needs to be cut open or not, so one might ask these questions. Which you claimed the Finnish health care system does not do, and which has now been directly contradicted by a worker in the self-same system.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

madmatt112 posted:

Jesus I live in Canada and even I knew he was making a joke about Finns’ stereotypical alcohol consumption. And/or lack of interest in other people.

But was it a good joke? I mean okay it's Jerry so of course not, but generally speaking: You can get good health care in Finland, and shockingly that involves asking people whether they are currently drunk, or if they've been on a bender, or whatever.

Here, have your usual drunken Finn I guess

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

edit: was Reagan left handed?

Of course this exists

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

zoux posted:

I would like to hear the debate about if the sun and moon are the same thing.

Best we could do on short notice https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQKgpm1SJmQ

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Side note: it's also a hard read because he was a really lovely author and in so far as anyone edited it, it was Hess and other toadies who didn't dare change anything.

Are we allowed to be slightly less Dungeons and Debates in the pictures thread? Hitler was purportedly an amazing orator, which I can't judge since I don't speak German, but I don't think anyone's claimed he was a good writer. He made millions with the proceeds of Mein Kampf but well we all know how that worked at the time.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Gyges posted:

Also alcohol is an incredibly consolidated market, so chances are good that if a shithead gets pissed off they'll end up drinking one of your other brands out of spite. Which is exactly what happened with a high percentage of the angry twitter/tick tock/youtube/whatever who shot up their bud lights and then swore undying loyalty to another AB InBev brand.

This is a brand of beer in Finland. "Karjala" is Finnish for Karelia, and there's a lot of historical reasons why that place and name have weight over here, so it's good marketing. The beer is absolutely awful IMO. Anyway! This particular beer brand wasn't doing very well over here by the late 1960's, but funny story. The then-current ambassador of Soviet Russia to Finland, Andrei Kovalev, who was an idiot and was shunted off fairly soon for other reasons, made a comment about the label of Karelia beer being offensive. As you can maybe see from the wikipedia image I stole, it features a "western" style sword fighting an "eastern" style sword. Of course during the Cold War, west fighting east was a bit of a thing. Be that as it may, Finns, being a slightly curmudgeonly people, took offense at this. It was a big thing in the yellow press, and the sales figures for Karelia beer skyrocketed in a couple of weeks.

Drinking beer out of spite is a well-worn tradition.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Gyges posted:

While that was a real good time, the true fun was watching ever single one of those sad losers turn around and thank him for destroying their ambitions and insulting their wives.

My absolute favourite bit was Chris Christie, an insufferable monster of a human being, just viciously turning on Marco Rubio, another monster of a human being, during a debate, reducing lil'Marco as Trump would say into a hot blubbering mess.

Christ I wish there had been more Alpha House.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

saw a washington examiner article on "crazy" paul krugman and the debt ceiling with this picture and lost my poo poo. they're about an inch away from drawing in the fangs and stink lines

There's something about prominent intellectuals, especially Jewish people, that makes news media promote a certain kind of, shall we say, unflattering?, photography?

That said, professor Krugman might want to get a slightly better fitting pair of glasses, that does not look comfortable at all.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I... Don't understand what I am looking at there. Is that supposed to be a bus stop? What?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Is this...Sexist somehow? There's a roof thingy so it doesn't snow on you during winter! (Not an issue in California, I suppose) There's a small bench! This is all very :psylon: