Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I know we got 6 weeks to go but since it's a new thread, here's the sweepstakes googlesheet

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/101ShRNc4MC1YtBI2XE0ru8rda4aTlNBaIytsutD-QIc/edit?usp=sharing

BTW you do know that you can set up a Google Form to populate the spreadsheet, which should prevent most forms of cheating and other loving around?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Purple Prince posted:

Who else thinks the result is likely to be a comically hung parliament with a slight swing to Labour? I don’t know if that’s better or worse than the current situation because it splits parliament between up to 3 parties (lib dem / Snp / Labour) and that’s going to make a coherent policy position hard to come by.

My prediction is that there will be literally no change to the current seats because we're in the hell dimension.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Eschenique posted:

Then people link pictures of his million pound house and it looks like some Soviet era community project.

It's actually a pretty interesting "cottage flat", the missing link between prefabs and LPS tower blocks. Not sure if it's an original 1950s one or one from their 1970s revival (probably the latter because some of the neighbouring homes have ground-floor garages) but they're about the best-built social housing ever made in the UK.

Thanks for reminding me they exist and adding yet another derail to the already massively-derailed council house post I was drafting.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
When's the deadline for PPC applications? Presumably we don't know for certain whether Johnson is going to bottle it out of Uxbridge until then?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

jabby posted:

https://twitter.com/michael_chessum/status/1190242180109078531
This is actually slick as loving hell. Might even be motivated to go out canvassing rather than just chucking some cash.

Presumably you don't need to be a momentum member to join in? The Labour campaign site is clunky as hell, stop telling me about fundraising drivers in Croydon and let me know where you need my elite knocking skills. I'm poo poo at the actual talking, but boy do I know how to knock on a door.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

It's going to be the Dementia Tax again, because that's loving catnip to dry Tories.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
The first twenty seconds of this advert are very on-the-nose...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZ9z8PpYccU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

Obligatory: Robert Webb is a terf twat

Hey come on, lets be fair - he's a full-spectrum wanker.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Reveilled posted:

Voters deserve better than the two tired old parties, says the leader of the second oldest party

A lot of people with pretty yellow diamonds in their screen names assure me the Liberal Democrats sprung fully-formed into existence from Brian Cox's brow on the 8th of May 2015.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

I'm the label on the Sky box that presumably says "What paupers have in their house, make sure it's in the picture, Dom".

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Labour just asked me* to help write the manifesto - their email sign up to recieve the new manifesto has a bit where you can suggest what you want to see in it.

https://labour.org.uk/manifesto-2019/

Can't wait for the papers to spin this as desperate Corbyn begs members of the public for policy proposals.

* and everyone else on the mailing list but shut up sempai noticed me :swoon:

Yeah well I got the email twice* so I'm twice as important as you

* They send emails to the address I gave my union as well as the one I signed up with, except sometimes they only send to the union address for some reason.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

The world is not london.

[citation needed]

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

Hey twisto, I have a weird question. Do you know if it's possible to get UK extension leads with both BS 1363 square 3 pin sockets and BS 4573 two pin shaver sockets? I can't see any reason why you couldn't, because they're both legal socket types, but all I can find are the old BS 546 style ones

which as I'm neither in South Africa nor India nor the 1930s aren't very useful even though they're still allowed here, or the Chinese 'universal socket' style ones

which fit all major worldwide plugs and most good paper clips and lol no thanks.

Probably not because until recently you weren't allowed to combine the two on the same circuit, and even though you can now (I think the change was some point in the late 90s - whenever RCDs became mandatory) there's not really a lot of applications for such a thing.

You're probably better off just buying a conventional block and a handful of adapters for whatever you want to plug in. This also lets you put an appropriate fuse for the device in, too - anything with a two-pin socket really shouldn't be drawing more than a couple of amps and the 13A fuse most blocks are fitted with is more than enough juice to let the magic smoke out of whatever you want to plug in.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Did some canvassing today, it's depressing how little people know or care about politics.

That's pretty much the point of canvassing though, especially in an election campaign. Most people have got problems that are far more real and important to them to what goes on at Westminster. Find out what their problems are, and explain how voting for Labour can help them. If you find yourself talking about politics you're doing it wrong, IMO.

e: Don't forget there's an entire gigantic machine - from their bosses to the national media and a big chunk of politicians - who desperately *want* people to not see their personal problems as having political solutions.

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Nov 3, 2019

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

We didn't really get much of a chance, the few people I got to speak to were ardently convinced that voting made no difference or that there was no difference between any of the parties.

I always spend a lot more time on people who say they're not voting because ultimately they're the people we really need to convince and get engaged if we want to change the country rather than just putting a win in the results. I almost always open up with "We're going round trying to find out what the problems are around here" (or some variation of that) and going from there. Anyone in that mindset is very likely to feel ignored and powerless, and framing it as a personal, not a political, thing gives you an in. Just letting people sound off while you nod and make sympathetic noises can make a huge difference, along with some well-placed open-ended questions, e.g. "I've heard a lot of people complaining about kids hanging around at night" (which works just about everywhere, and just about everywhere people think it's a uniquely bad problem there) gets you into Tory cuts to local authorities, or some relevant local issues (which your board runner or local minders really should have briefed you on).

Framing it as "what are the problems are around here" rather than "what are your problems" also stops them shutting down at what's quite a nosy question. Everyone loves a good whinge, you just have to get it out of them.

Obviously you adjust it to your own personal style - I can probably get away with a lot because I'm a grumpy-looking white middle-aged man with a Cockney accent and so I've already got a connection to a lot of the people I'm talking to (and I can do a nice "posh" - read "has slightly less glottal stops") accent for the little old ladies, which always goes down well) but ultimately if you come across as sincere and willing to listen you'll be surprised just how easy it is to get them to at least *thinking* about voting.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

thespaceinvader posted:

It's a nest thermostat, it's literally radio controlled, I'm sure they can work something out.

Alternatively, seems like a good excuse to learn hobbyist lockpicking. That lock is probably shite.

Looks a lot like one of those circular locks you can defeat with a correctly-sized straw/pen ink reservoir.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Endjinneer posted:

I think you could do quite a nice online campaign around this, by sharing pictures of [poo poo thing near you] and asking the rhetorical question- "Would you vote conservative for another 5 years of this?". Politics seems abstract until you explain it in terms of potholes in the road, queues in the hospital and rough sleepers. Once the manifesto comes out you can start connecting each [poo poo thing near you] to a labour policy that'll fix it.
There's a danger the focus on local problems can rebound on your local labour MP or council though, so you need to be prepared to link the problems to failure at national government level.

Good news!

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1190918306171101184

There are surprisingly few problems that are unique to one area, or if they are can't be tied back to Tories at Westminster, particularly local authority, NHS and police (yeah yeah) cuts. Sometimes the national problems have unique local flavours but national policies can still be localised. For example, the expected crackdown on AirBnB, an undoubtedly good national policy but not near the top of most people's priorities, is going to go down gangbusters in Two Cities, where it really is hollowing out communities.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Frankly the entire idea of a fleet key for the loving police cars in a country where the cops are gun toting lunatics seems insane.

(Allegedly!) all Met Armed Response Vehicles have keyed-alike boots and gun lockers in said boots, the idea being in a North Hollywood-style shootout that they don't need to find their way back to their own car to rearm or break out the big guns - this is said to be why they have the little yellow identifier dots on the rear window.

Of course the Met have never actually been involved in anything like North Hollywood (and their record of being involved in shootings where the other side even has the ability to shoot back is... not good) but man you can imagine the Michael Mann wet dream meetings that went into setting that policy.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

feedmegin posted:

...Minneapolis-St Paul? :shobon:

I mean yeah it's probably loving poo poo up there too but this is Cities of London and Westminster, where I'm volunteering for canvassing wherever possible because a) we're only a few thousand votes off unseating Mark "I acted on instinct to assault a completely peaceful woman because she might have been a heavily armed terrorist, not because she was loving up my lovely posh meal with all my posh mates" Field, b) Chuka is the LD candidate, c) it's only 20 minutes on the Tube and there's nice pubs in the area, d) Chuka is the LD candidate, and e) Chuka is the LD candidate.

Actually have we talked about this? It really doesn't make sense for Chuka to be standing in Two Cities. The LDs are a really distant third and the really weird demographics of the area (almost 50/50 split between really lovely council estates around Victoria and really loving expensive Sloanes and City boys pads) means there's basically no natural base for them, even by London's standards. There are much closer races he could be involved in and you'd think his ego wouldn't let him go to a seat where he knew he'd be third (which is why he's not trying to retain his seat in Streatham despite claiming that the 20-odd thousand majority he had there was purely because of his own charm).

As far as I can tell there are two possibilities here - either he's so loving hated by the LDs that they just gave him an important-sounding seat to lose so they could be rid of him, or he actually believes their bullshit bar graphs and thinks that he has a chance of quadrupling their vote from 2017.

e: Actually even their bullshit bar graphs don't make sense as a theory - the seat was heavily Remain and did go LD in the Euros, but so did Streatham, and to an even greater extent.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Vitamin P posted:

Where's Bannon getting the cash for that though?

He has Seinfeld Money.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jose posted:

some seinfeld money. don't think he has enough to be spending 100m on a newspaper. he just wants his name in the press

There's no way the Barclays will get 100m for the Torygraph, its circulation is (literally) dying and it's long been replaced by the Times as the Tory house rag so it doesn't even have the shortcut to power that it had when they bought it (and completely hosed up the sports coverage, which was - seriously - how it had fended off the Times for so long). They also pissed the massive lead it had in online news down their legs. Even so I'm sure he could have laid his hands on the money "somehow", but I think you're right about it being just him keeping his massive sweaty slab of a face in the media now he's fallen out of favour.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Okay so the quick little appendix to my Balfron posts about council house design and Brutalism is now 5,000 words long and I'm talking about the colour of the beach at Southend. I think I might rename it seekhelp.txt and just keep it on my desktop as a reminder to myself.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

How about turning them into a blog for posterity? Or even a book?

A big chunk of the words (and pictures!) got repurposed from a post that's languished in the drafts folder of my blog for almost a year because it didn't really fit. My ex-boss has encouraged me to write a book based on the blog, but I've resisted the idea on the basis that nothing ruins something fun quicker than doing it for a living.

I'll probably dump it here (and, with swearwords removed, on my company intranet where I have a strange little fanbase) when it's done, but I'm really not fussed if everyone scrolls straight past it. I was just amused/amazed/terrified at just how much I'd typed on a subject even I don't really care about *that* much.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Pesky Splinter posted:

I'm always on the wrong shift. :saddowns:
If can think of any suggestions, will post them in the discord.

I want to know what blackmail Matt has on people to be given that much for his complete loving trash cartoons.

You could literally replace the text with one from any random one of his other cartoons, and it makes as much sense - that's how loving lazy his poo poo is. Maybe he's beat us to the punch, and just has a random text generator that attaches it to one of his older drawings.

Most of his cartoons also work with the various New Yorker cartoon formulas - replace the text with "Get a load of this rear end in a top hat" or "Ok boomer" and they're at least as funny, and normally considerably funnier, than the originals.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

:five:

I've always been confused why it's always weed out of all drugs that is pushed for legalization. Sure, it seems dumb as hell to ban it, and its prohibition is racist and sectarian against Rastafari, and it's a giant waste of money, but in terms of lives saved if I was forced to pick one and only one between legal weed or returning to the British system on cocaine and heroin I'd have to go with the one that doesn't end up with people injecting drywall.

Hell, if I was forced to pick one and only one between legal weed or MDMA being available at Boots and mental health professionals plus cultural elders being able to dispense LSD and psilocybin at their discretion I'd still go with the latter.

I'm still pro legalization overall, and I hope it's the first crack in the dam, it just seems very culturally strange that that's the one drug that we've staked the drug war battleground on.

Definitely release the Nonce Andrew files tho.

It's considerably safer and less addictive than caffiene, alcohol or nicotine, and by far the most commonly-used illegal drug - something like 30% of adults in the UK will have tried it at least once. The arguments for it being illegal hold no water while you can get a bottle of Smirnoff, a six-pack of Red Bull, and 20 B&H at any corner shop in the country. That's why it's at the vanguard of anti-prohibition arguments, because it shows the ridiculousness of prohibition. Even if you're making a harm-reduction argument legalising cannabis makes the most sense just because almost all of the harm it causes is directly as a result of it being illegal., and the sheer scale of its use means that you can make a solid utilitarian argument that if you only get to unban one drug cannabis would be the one to go for.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Bardeh posted:

So having never really paid much attention to the media during elections before, why is it that TV stations have to adhere to a stricter set of rules regarding impartiality, but newspapers don't?

Traditionally we've never had statutory regulation of printed media (apart from for obscene materials).

I think the coincidence of timing of radio and TV both coming to mass-market adoption not long after world wars, which were the few times that the Press (and public) were accepting of mass censorship, as well as our first broadcaster on both being State-controlled, means that there was far less pushback against regulation once the private sector got involved.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Noxville posted:

Apparently, if >50% of the public vote for something then it has to happen. I feel this may contradict some LibDem policy.

https://twitter.com/chukaumunna/status/1191403681561927681?s=21

Dammit I just made almost the exact same joke on Twitter. The Goon Hivemind is apparently real.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

TheRat posted:

He's got a lovely accent

Which for some reason, in my memory, is Scottish, and I'm always confused when I hear him talk.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Gonzo McFee posted:

Clarkson was best friends with David Cameron and was invited to Thatcher's funeral where he wept like an infected bellend. They're all tories.

Anyway, here's Jacob Rees Moggs giving out advice that would get even more people killed in a fire.

https://twitter.com/stephenkb/status/1191651843484606464

The advice the fire department gives is the correct and best advice you can give when fire breaks out in any high rise building. If the building had been up to code then the fire would have ran into several fire doors which are thick enough and strong enough that it can take about 30 minutes to burn through. There's obviously the risk of the fire moving up through the ceiling through radiation but even that takes time and hopefully enough time for the fire department to get there in time. If people start trying to flee it means hundreds of people rushing around, trampling each other, opening fire doors, feeding oxygen to the flames and potentially accelerating the burning process and getting far more people killed.

Of course all of this goes out the window when your tory council puts extremely flammable cladding on the side of your building that allows the flames to cover the entire structure within minutes all for the sake of £5000 and the property values of a bunch of rich cunts who didn't even plan on living in the flats opposite. Can't really express how disgusted I am with all this. This is a complete whitewash to protect the tory party and that loving idiot councillor who's parents didn't drill enough holes in his head.

The standard that Grenfell was built to was that fire (and smoke) could not spread between flats for an hour, even every other flat in the building was on fire. LPS has its issues but the degree of compartmentalisation it offers is *amazing*.

The reason for remain-in-place as policy is because the designers knew that evacuation of a high-rise residential building - no matter how generous the size of escape routes, etc - is impossible because a) there's literally no way of telling how many people are in the building at any given moment and if they're all out, b) not everyone will be able to hear an evacuation alarm, c) of those that can not all are able to respond to it due to disability or even temporary injury, and d) of those that hear it and are able to respond, many are not willing to evacuate for all sorts of reasons.

People evacuating are also of course going to be in the way of rescuers trying to do their jobs - not just on the stairwells but milling around outside because where else are they going to go?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Purple Prince posted:

That's the point of a fire door! Putting any kind of lock on it immediately makes it into a deathtrap.

Fire doors can be lockable. If you live in a block of flats your front door (and bathroom door) are fire doors which are lockable. If you work in a half-way modern building you almost certainly pass through several locked fire doors on your way to the bog.

The point is whether or not they can be unlocked in a hurry, in the dark, by someone who doesn't know before they get there how to open them, without keys or any other kind of tools. That's why all of those examples either have a turnwheel or similar device to unlock them, or for electronic doors a clearly-marked emergency open button or lever (and they must fail unlocked). The speed with which they can be opened depends on the amount of people the building is designed to have behind one of those doors, which is why you start to see panic bars and similar devices on large buildings.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Mrenda posted:

Keep politics out of politics!

How did you manage to get your hands on the Lib Dem manifesto?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/ThatTimWalker/status/1191692122170314752

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

DesperateDan posted:

Oh great someone down the road got hold of some illegal/industrial grade fireworks again and it's like a 12 gauge being fired next to my head every few minutes

This is one of the few nights a year I wish I lived in a tower block. We always used to go to my mate's brother's flat on the 19th floor and could see a hundred displays in one night, and people would only occasionally deliberately aim rockets at us.

Also I'm keeping up my 100% record of having weird pets - my dog, for the 11th year running, is refusing to give two shits about the fireworks and is in fact snoring loudly enough to drown them out. My cat, meanwhile, is desperate to go out so he can see what all the noise is about.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Pochoclo posted:

There should be a law against neighbours trying to start awkward small talk in common spaces

Now you know the real reason London is so expensive, it's the only place in the country where this is guaranteed.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Ratjaculation posted:

This JRM poo poo has made me miserable all day, I don't know how he continues to surprise me with his absolute elitist evil poo poo but he does

Don't let it make you miserable. Let it make you hate. Any time you feel like politics aren't worth it, remember that this is what the ruling classes think of you and everyone you know and love. Have it in your back pocket for the next time some loving melt starts talking about how :decorum: is important. It might be unhealthy in the long term, but hate is a nice little psychic caffeine shot for when you need it.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Bundy posted:

For folks uncomfortable with/unable to do that, there's other groups that go to registered Labour voters just to remind them to go vote which is also incredibly useful and tends to be a lot more frictionless.

Yeah, this was my first experience with canvassing, at the 2015 Tower Hamlets mayoral election, and if you can only do one thing for Labour at this election I'd 100% say last-minute GOTV is the thing to do. It's going to be cold, it'll probably be raining, a lot of people are going to be wavering, and a friendly face (very, very gently) guilting them into going down to the polling station may make all the difference.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Walking disproof of nominative determinism James Cleverly is going for the "It's just a prank bro!" defence of the edited Kier Starmer video on BBC Breakfast News and is getting a surprisingly chilly response.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/brianmoore666/status/1191827851785506816

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jedit posted:

Cleverly is saying that he was double booked and was doing an interview for Talk radio at the time.

Despite the fact he was physically at Sky. I'm sure this won't just piss them off even more, and certainly didn't make him look like an incompetent buffoon as well as a liar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

24 storey building, dark, smoke-filled staircase, full of panicking people, some with ambulatory difficulties or kids, others dying of smoke inhalation, locked (I believe) at the bottom.

This came up a couple of times previously in the thread but it had moved on by the time I noticed and thought to ask - does anyone have a source for this? Because even the lovely 80s security retrofits fail open, and I've literally never seen a physical lock installed on a council block of any vintage on an exit route. Also any further word/confirmation as to whether or not Serco had run actual gas pipes up the stairwell?

(Also not sure if I should share the One Weird Trick that'll get you through like 90% of those 80s/90s council block doors because it's possibly close to B&E even if it shaves quite a lot of time (and annoyed people you randomly have to buzz to get in) when canvassing.)

e: Now I think of it, no, the fire exit on the stairwell can't possibly have been locked because that would have been the LFB's point of access unless Grenfell has an *extremely* weird layout.

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Nov 6, 2019