Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Superterranean
May 3, 2005

after we lit this one, nothing was ever the same

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

:aaaaa:

A good idea, I will look into that today. I suspect it won't allow people to edit their guesses as we get closer to election night though? There's an edit history so i'm not too worried about people loving with other people's numbers

Google forms are append only by default. I had to go through some vicious heroics to set up a form-fronted spreadsheet that allowed updates to answers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Superterranean
May 3, 2005

Eschenique posted:

Okay but can we agree that if say....PM Corbyn cancelled Brexit.

His opponents and some supporters would probably condemn him for the rest of his life. But would a parliamentary majority be willing to start up article 50 again? Or would they just be content to be rid of this hot potato?

Labour's current policy (as decided at convention, please correct me if I'm wrong, I'm going from memory here) is that whatever deal is negotiated by a Labour government will be put to a Remain vs. That Deal referendum. It seems clear to me that if Remain won that referendum, the govt would revoke a50.

I don't think it's particularly meaningful to ask what would happen if a Labour government did something it's pretty much said it won't do.

Superterranean
May 3, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

I mean, people would still wail and gnash teeth

Brexit In A Nutshell

Superterranean
May 3, 2005

OK so - free parking works well until people abuse it. There are lots of other things that work the same way; the mugs and coffee pot in the break room, for example.

I choose to believe that nobody intentionally abuses the coffee situation or never takes their turn at washing up or whatever. But people do fall into bad habits sometimes. Usually, in the coffee pot case, they can be rehabilitated with a polite "please wash your own dishes, it's rude not to". At what scale does that kind of, uh, societal/social reinforcement stop working? Why can't we put up 'please don't park here' signs and...go on with our lives?

Writ in the extreme, is it just that people don't see with their own eyes the people they're hurting that allows them to participate in exploitative systems?

Superterranean
May 3, 2005

OK so - free parking works well until people abuse it. There are lots of other things that work the same way; the mugs and coffee pot in the break room, for example.

I choose to believe that nobody intentionally abuses the coffee situation or never takes their turn at washing up or whatever. But people do fall into bad habits sometimes. Usually, in the coffee pot case, they can be rehabilitated with a polite "please wash your own dishes, it's rude not to". At what scale does that kind of, uh, societal/social reinforcement stop working? Why can't we put up 'please don't park here' signs and...go on with our lives?

Writ in the extreme, is it just that people don't see with their own eyes the people they're hurting that allows them to participate in exploitative systems?

Superterranean
May 3, 2005

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Absolutely agree even if you're not looking to make it into a profession - it's great fun to work out how to automate silly little things or build your own custom little tool.

(snip)

I'd compare it to cooking for yourself or DIY. You may not end up with a result that is as good as what you can just go out and buy off the shelf, but it'll be *your* thing you end up with.

... And to continue the cooking analogy - it helps you appreciate what you do and don't like, and what's hard and what's not, about other people's programs.

Superterranean
May 3, 2005

Aphex- posted:

I'm a QA tester and have been trying to learn to code for the past year in quiet periods of my job. I'm learning Python and have written a couple of simple automation scripts. I'd love to get into development but it feels like learning to code is such a slow process. I also don't feel like I've actually learnt much, sure I've written scripts and things that work but it's mostly just finding similar pieces of code by googling the problem, pasting them together and modifying them slightly until they work.

late reply but lol this is exactly what 95% of coding is

Superterranean
May 3, 2005

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

That doesn't say ban it. That says create the conditions for sex work not to exist, despite the necessary continuation of work as a system. Also arm sex workers and let them kill johns.

This comment indicates that you hold as a value that sex work should not exist; that sex work not existing is a desirable state. This is not a value you share with the people arguing with you here.

Superterranean
May 3, 2005

I don't understand why these new developments need sufficient road & parking provision for everyone to have a car. Surely expanded public transport would be a better solution? (this does not mean that adequate provision for necessary utilities like water & sewage & electrical & internet & schools & parks & GPs does not need to me made; I just don't think private vehicle ownership is an essential utility)

Superterranean
May 3, 2005

so....on the housing question again. What would Labour do to ensure that the new builds are up to snuff, quality-wise? I mean, there's just no way to meet the demand the manifesto would put on an industry that still wants to build things out of solid masonry.

e: also the eco-friendliness aspect

Superterranean
May 3, 2005

Braggart posted:

Edit: I require a 315% year-on-year return on my investment or I will render the planet uninhabitable. More quickly, I mean.

Ftfy: "surely there exists someone ELSE who will get me 315%yoy, so I will take my investment to them unless you say it's OK for me to render the planet uninhabitable. More quickly, I mean."

Superterranean
May 3, 2005

CoolCab posted:

I can't believe there are other people who like due south. if you like the songs used in later seasons and of course the finale that's Stan Rogers and he comes highly recommended

Resurrecting this from the previous page because I cannot agree more

Superterranean
May 3, 2005

Guavanaut posted:

e: ^^ I thought he was cancelled for advocating working in environmentally damaging industries :v:

That song is trenchant social commentary on inter-provincial inequality in mid-late 20th century Canada + the capital conditions that lead to that inequality and besides there's no ethical art under a resource-extraction economy like Canada's

Anyway the Mary Ellen Carter is way better
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fhop5VuLDIQ

Superterranean
May 3, 2005

willie_dee posted:

How else do you deal with someone with a knife who isn’t dropping it?

It’s firearms sadly.

this is wrong. the use of firearms in public places is wrong. Many other solutions exist; you could, for example, throw your billy club at'em. Or keep people away and wait the knife-holder out. Escalation of violence is cowardly.

e:

Bape Culture posted:

Simply expose your swords which have been carefully hidden inside your xxxxl imitation leather trench coat and talk the attacker down using logic showing there is no god. One simple tip from dozy depressed dipshits that the police don’t want you to know about!!!

Which side are you arguing, here? if you're cheerleading willie dee, you should gently caress off. If not, you should be less tongue-in-cheek.

Superterranean fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Nov 29, 2019

Superterranean
May 3, 2005

willie_dee posted:

Ah yes or how about some other magical martial art like Akido training and chakra magic.

Give me a knife and give you all of those things and you try and arrest me. The risk to your life is significant. Rubber bullets and tasers very very often do not work.

Or are you of the opinions we should be asking police officers to openly and willingly sacrifice their lives to arrest people that are trying to kill them?

Escalation of violence is cowardly. the assumption that mY LIfe iS in MOrtaL daNGEr all the time is the reason ACAB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Superterranean
May 3, 2005

willie_dee posted:

but if that’s not possible then it’s on the offender.

oh so now it's the guy's fault he got shot

please, please, look at what you are saying. Ask yourself why you are privileging the lives of police officers over others. Ask yourself why your posts are attracting so much negative attention. Change your mind, it is wrong.