Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

jarofpiss posted:

it's actually good to have a tight scope on what your project is trying to accomplish and i think this thread did a perfectly good job of that.

dorks and nerds (liberals) across the world feel a deep need to turn every altruistic program into a charity with committees and fundraising and titles etc because their brains are so thoroughly broken by capitalism that even when they try to create a structure that alleviates the suffering caused by it, they can't help but replicate the structures that create the suffering in the first place. they have no other frame of reference to create a program.

literally every charity in the world has a board packed to the gills with people with "business experience" and focuses on fundraising and efficiency and oversight to make sure nobody gets one over on the charity. it costs huge amounts of time and resources and is absolutely completely insane. they just can't see it from any other perspective.

this never appeared to me to be a project that was aspiring to liberate people from capitalism, and it doesn't require oversight and a board and audits and fundraising drives and forms and papers etc. what's wrong with a simple straightforward agreement that lets one person hand out money to people who ask? why does it have to be a full on GOON PROJECT? who really cares if a bunch of people have a $5 auto patreon payment they've forgotten about and some sub-optimal percentage of funds is getting distributed, or the response time isn't immediate? why the push for the committee oversight on the take-a-penny-leave-a-penny tray?

edit: I think it's good that there's a full on goon project available but yes there's gaps that need to be filled and if people want to donate to one or the other or both who cares.

spacemang_spliff has issued a correction as of 13:52 on Dec 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003

jarofpiss posted:

when i give someone money that asks for it i do not follow them around to make sure they spend it wisely. it's a waste of my time and resources and at the end of the day it's their problem not mine.

nobody should be subscribing to a collective pizza fund with any amount of money that matters to them. i and most people waste money on far far dumber things than this sort of patreon fund and the whole point of it is that if you subscribe to it you don't have to spend another second of your life thinking about that money? that's plinkey's job?

i donated for a while and then stopped because i wanted to cut back my patreon stuff and forgot about it. that's literally the only sane way to approach this sort of project?

You didn't answer the question. Nothing that this guy can do, in your opinion, would be stealing the money because it's just a donation to his patreon with no strings attached? That's what you said but I want to make sure.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

*hmm yes it's that time of the month i review the public accounting books of my $5 charitable donations* ????

spacemang_spliff posted:

because there's good drama thread content to be wrung out of it

i agree it owns and ive enjoyed reading it

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

PERPETUAL IDIOT posted:

I should vote with my wallet? Thanks, my left wing friend. Anyway, I have been not donating to this fund for many years, so I put my money where my mouth is on this one.

you don't have to vote at all

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

PERPETUAL IDIOT posted:

You didn't answer the question. Nothing that this guy can do, in your opinion, would be stealing the money because it's just a donation to his patreon with no strings attached? That's what you said but I want to make sure.

yes if i gave him the money he didn't steal it from me? im not buying something from him, i gave him the money and assume he's doing something marginally useful with it? if he's not i guess it'll work itself out eventually?

i'm not that invested in a patreon subscription

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

jarofpiss posted:

it's not being stolen if it's being funded by no-strings-attached patreon subscriptions? are you the kind of person that hands a homeless person a sandwich instead of money because you're worried they'll spend it wrong?

More the sort that walks by without making eye contact while concocting a backstory in their head about how it's that person's fault for being homeless, they're probably a dangerous drug addict - and then later laughing with friends about how weird this person they saw was, muttering those crazy things

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

spacemang_spliff posted:

edit: I think it's good that there's a full on goon project available but yes there's gaps that need to be filled and if people want to donate to one or the other or both who cares.

the full on goon project committee fund will inevitably self destruct into an abuser allegation polycule fiasco because at the end of the day the vast majority of people that want to be on a committee overseeing a fund with 4 figures in the bank are complete lunatics. so it is 100% worth funding at this point as the drama return on investment will be far greater than this one imo

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003

jarofpiss posted:

yes if i gave him the money he didn't steal it from me? im not buying something from him, i gave him the money and assume he's doing something marginally useful with it? if he's not i guess it'll work itself out eventually?

i'm not that invested in a patreon subscription

Ok. You're just a pea brain then.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

PERPETUAL IDIOT posted:

i will say that this conversation has reminded me to cancel my netflix subscription that i haven't watched in 6 months so i appreciate that

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
some as old as spring

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

jarofpiss posted:

the full on goon project committee fund will inevitably self destruct into an abuser allegation polycule fiasco because at the end of the day the vast majority of people that want to be on a committee overseeing a fund with 4 figures in the bank are complete lunatics. so it is 100% worth funding at this point as the drama return on investment will be far greater than this one imo

you’re so loving stupid it’s breathtaking. pontificate elsewhere, dipshit.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

PERPETUAL IDIOT posted:

have u never just given someone money before?

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

CODChimera posted:

youre oversimplifying, in this case there’s an intermediary who is expected to disburse the funds to others. expecting people to behave responsibly isn’t counter revolutionary.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

I got the tude now posted:

youre oversimplifying, in this case there’s an intermediary who is expected to disburse the funds to others. expecting people to behave responsibly isn’t counter revolutionary.

counter revolutionary lol sure okay

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

at the very least this thread should probably be closed because it's just going to be a battleground for slapfights from here on out

oh wow I'm still right

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

redneck nazgul posted:

because people think it would be funny to break it and be able to say "hey remember when a gambling addict stole $3000 a month from cspam? lol. lmao."

they don't actually give a gently caress about whether or not the money was stolen and the majority of them didn't bother helping with the now clearly reputable official 501c goon fund

nope, gotta make content

I don’t think the other fund is a 501c either.

500 good dogs posted:

you don't need to be a 501c3 (or any organization) to send people money

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

oh wow I'm still right

wrong i paid upwards of $25 to the goon fund and i am entitled to the returns on my investment

i know im breathtakingly stupid, but i think maybe you are missing my point that treating everything as if it is some high stakes billion dollar gates foundation charity drive that requires board members and audits and elections and reports is overkill and stupid for a project like the goon fund with such a stated limited scope that it was arguably fulfilling. and perhaps the fact that many goons appear to have a deep internal need to turn it in to that sort of charity is something they should reflect on

who said anything about revolution?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

jarofpiss posted:

wrong i paid upwards of $25 to the goon fund and i am entitled to the returns on my investment

i know im breathtakingly stupid, but i think maybe you are missing my point that treating everything as if it is some high stakes billion dollar gates foundation charity drive that requires board members and audits and elections and reports is overkill and stupid for a project like the goon fund with such a stated limited scope that it was arguably fulfilling. and perhaps the fact that many goons appear to have a deep internal need to turn it in to that sort of charity is something they should reflect on

who said anything about revolution?

there is no point in arguing, there isn't any issue here to "win" on
this is the same old story of some middle-aged posters arrested developmentally in their teen years saw an unlocked car and decided to take it out for a joy ride and set it on fire because they were bored

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
How are we back to “he must be pocketing the money because he hasn’t shown any proof he isn’t”?

the other thread went through almost 2k in 4 days, we have a clear demonstration that it’s incredibly reasonable and realistic to expect this fund could churn through 3k less whatever patreon cut there is in a month. There’d only be a notable amount of money left in the fund to pocket if Plinkey was turning down requests left and right, people already looked for that a month and a half ago and found that wasn’t the case. The QCS thread p much ended on the note of “okay well yeah he is giving people who ask money but what if he is keeping the leftover money?” Now we already have a new easy to look at example that makes that outcome much less likely.

At this point common sense conclusion is the fund was working exactly as described.

The new project is a cool design and I think we can all call it a win it got off the ground, seems like there’s a larger need of help than people expected and it’s good that there’s now more help available.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

this is the same old story of some middle-aged posters arrested developmentally in their teen years saw an unlocked car and decided to take it out for a joy ride and set it on fire because they were bored

f or sure dude who definitely knows what’s going on

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
those donations totaling 2k+ where all me and my alts and i bought 4 louis vuitton t-shirts

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
a fund that's only for united states goons would have seen me unable to get my cat into a hospital when she was dying so

her sister is happy she's still alive too

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

this is pathetic

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Slanderer posted:

this is pathetic

Yeah, but with any luck in another decade or two they should grow out of it and contented in senility.

lousy hat
Jul 17, 2004

bone appetit
Clapping Larry
it's great that people who want to distribute money to goons in need and make reports and generate policy documentation and register with the feds to be tax-exempt can do that. nothing was stopping them from doing it anyway.

what sucks is people deciding they have to invent crimes just so they have something to be mad about and can be the Adults Explaining How This Guy I Made Up Is A Criminal And You're All Stupid Children

what also sucks is mods coming in after at least a month of this to say "oh well now that the other one's up and running, maybe we can all be civil."

you’re so loving stupid it’s breathtaking. pontificate elsewhere, dipshit.

turn your loving monitor on

Slanderer posted:

this is pathetic

mlyp

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Paladinus posted:

Hey, so I'll post my offer again in this thread, because I don't know if it was picked up on in the QCS thread, just to have a nice carrot, not just a bundle of sticks.

If Plinkey makes the fund more transparent by regularly publishing simple monthly reports and manages to get rid of the 20% patreon cut one way or another (or even just provides a more sensible permanent option as an alternative), I'll contribute $300 to the fund. Hope it's a good enough incentive.

To circle back on this. It's December now, and there are a lot of new posts in this thread, but it looks like it's mostly people arguing. Have there been any developments on the listed issues? It's not that the money's burning a hole in my pocket, but I do want to get my own budget in order for the end of the year, so would be nice to know if I can donate the money elsewhere.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Paladinus posted:

To circle back on this. It's December now, and there are a lot of new posts in this thread, but it looks like it's mostly people arguing. Have there been any developments on the listed issues? It's not that the money's burning a hole in my pocket, but I do want to get my own budget in order for the end of the year, so would be nice to know if I can donate the money elsewhere.

no, this thread is still "sure hope this goes somewhere good and not into patreon streamer subs"

use the other thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4014910

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

Paladinus posted:

there have been no changes in operating procedure here. however, i strongly encourage that you check out our new fund at https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4014910 where we've made a lot of progress recently.

speng31b posted:

update:

- $1885 distributed
- 11 donors registered
- 10 requests fulfilled
- none in progress

we can use all the help we can get :)

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Tatsuta Age posted:

no, this thread is still "sure hope this goes somewhere good and not into patreon streamer subs"

use the other thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4014910

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

there have been no changes in operating procedure here. however, i strongly encourage that you check out our new fund at https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4014910 where we've made a lot of progress recently.

we can use all the help we can get :)

Nice to see there's progress. Sent really queer Christmas a PM.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

jarofpiss posted:

it's actually good to have a tight scope on what your project is trying to accomplish and i think this thread did a perfectly good job of that.

dorks and nerds (liberals) across the world feel a deep need to turn every altruistic program into a charity with committees and fundraising and titles etc because their brains are so thoroughly broken by capitalism that even when they try to create a structure that alleviates the suffering caused by it, they can't help but replicate the structures that create the suffering in the first place. they have no other frame of reference to create a program.

literally every charity in the world has a board packed to the gills with people with "business experience" and focuses on fundraising and efficiency and oversight to make sure nobody gets one over on the charity. it costs huge amounts of time and resources and is absolutely completely insane. they just can't see it from any other perspective.

this never appeared to me to be a project that was aspiring to liberate people from capitalism, and it doesn't require oversight and a board and audits and fundraising drives and forms and papers etc. what's wrong with a simple straightforward agreement that lets one person hand out money to people who ask? why does it have to be a full on GOON PROJECT? who really cares if a bunch of people have a $5 auto patreon payment they've forgotten about and some sub-optimal percentage of funds is getting distributed, or the response time isn't immediate? why the push for the committee oversight on the take-a-penny-leave-a-penny tray?

Exactly this. I had a major crack ping when I realized the overton window on mutual aids was completely controlled by bazinga succghouls like the absolute freaks in the other thread. But hellworld gonna hellworld, there’s no ethical donation under capitalism, so keep calm and tormp on!

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 98 days!

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

Exactly this. I had a major crack ping when I realized the overton window on mutual aids was completely controlled by bazinga succghouls like the absolute freaks in the other thread. But hellworld gonna hellworld, there’s no ethical donation under capitalism, so keep calm and tormp on!

this

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Javid posted:

I hit him up once in a pinch, and the paypal transfer showed up a week and a half later without further conversation, roughly coincident with someone else having poked him in the thread about their own request

can't imagine why he isn't answering a bunch of bad faith GIEV MONAEY messages from trolls, though

i'm not a bad faith troll! i'm just broke!

the other goon fund helped me a little bit but i was stupid and didn't ask for as much as i really needed because asking for money really, really sucks

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

Please go outside

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

precision posted:

i'm not a bad faith troll! i'm just broke!

the other goon fund helped me a little bit but i was stupid and didn't ask for as much as i really needed because asking for money really, really sucks

ask again! the worst anyone can say is no but the best outcome is getting some or all of the help. im relieved to here you were helped, idk why this thread was pretending like you didnt exist and was posting around you

CODChimera posted:

when i give a stranger money irl there isnt a middleman who scrapes 20% off of it. this is not a difficult thing to comprehend as an obvious problem

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
quit bitching about the other thread itt

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

its Dec 1 now and I think tensions would be dissipated somewhat if we knew what the admins' plan was for the thread

did plinkey do any of the things jeffrey asked for? does it matter? is it worth keeping a more informal fund around, or is it considered a liability for a lack of simple documentation? I think at this point someone needs to make a decision and give an answer, regardless of what that answer turns out to be.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

lol

lmao

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

fun hater posted:

when i give a stranger money irl there isnt a middleman who scrapes 20% off of it. this is not a difficult thing to comprehend as an obvious problem
you don't know that

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Has any of the concern/insinuation come from people that have actually given money to this fund

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

Has any of the concern/insinuation come from people that have actually given money to this fund

so you have to give money to the fund to have an opinion on it, but if you dont like how its run then dont give money to it. ????

CODChimera posted:

you don't know that

i do